PDA

View Full Version : The best way to play a pick 6??

sq764
01-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Are there any pick 6 ‘gurus’ out there? Or anyone that specializes in playing the big carryovers, and has been successful?

Recently, I got involved in trying to hit a (harness) pick 7 and to be honest, I have played the pick 6 maybe 5 times.. With that being said, I was curious if any pick 6 regulars had any tips on:

- How to best structure your ticket
- How to identify a ‘hittable’ pick 6 (or 7)
- How to identify when it’s time to pass the whole wager
- What some of the most common pick 6 wagering mistakes are

As always, any input is appreciated

alysheba88
01-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Well much of what I am going to post has been posted by experts like Steven Crist. So here goes.

For most the best strategy about playing is don't. Way too may players piss away money taking a half hearted approach to hitting it. They feel "comfortable" betting $16, $32 or $64 into it every time. But would be so much better off playing say once a month and putting in a ticket with a chance. Like a $216 ticket or so. But many will be aghast at this. $216. For one ticket. Again they dont mind pissing away $32 every day, but ask them for $216 once a month and its asking for their first born.

If you plan on playing the same horses everyone else likes (favorites) dont waste your time. Don't play it

Secondly, related to the above, much better off getting into a synidcate with friends. Can play an even larger ticket,

One of Crist's best lines about the wager is his belief that it should be called the "Avoid One". Where instead of thinking of picking 6 straight winners you structure your ticket to stay alive in the races where something whacky happens, as will inevitably be the case.

Waiting for the biggest carryover days isn't necessarily the best idea since you will be competing against the real large synidcates, but should wait for at least a two day carryover before playing.

David McKenzie
01-26-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by alysheba88 (MW)
...Waiting for the biggest carryover days isn't necessarily the best idea since you will be competing against the real large synidcates, but should wait for at least a two day carryover before playing.

alysheba88,

On a minor point I respectfully disagree. Waiting for a one day carryover is the best avenue to take for the small guy. Why? There's not enough money in the pools to attract the large syndicates, but enough to give him a nice overlay, even if it's all or mostly chalk.

In terms of dollar amounts to bet, sixteen dollars is about right. Anything over that and less than a grand is more or less only subsidizing the big guys (read throwing your money out the window) without significantly improving your winning chances.

To seriously play the Pick6 you should have a fat bankroll (at least 100K) or be part of a syndicate.