PDA

View Full Version : PETA plans memorial, Luca Brasi mourns...

TJDave
11-01-2012, 02:36 PM
From the LA Times:

On behalf of a leading animal rights group, an Irvine woman is asking the city to erect a memorial at the street corner where 1,600 pounds of live fish died this month when a container truck was involved in a three-vehicle crash.

Dina Kourda, a volunteer with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, wrote to the Irvine Public Works Department to request that a sign be placed at the intersection of Walnut and Yale avenues to honor the lives of the fish -- believed to be saltwater bass -- lost in the accident.

The fish, the Orange County Register reported, were being hauled to a Ranch 99 Market, an Asian supermarket.

The fish had been stored in large tanks that cracked open as a result of the Oct. 11 accident. When firefighters opened the back of the truck, some fish flopped out, and others had already died. None of the people involved in the accident were seriously injured.

“Although such signs are traditionally reserved for human fatalities, I hope you’ll make an exception because of the enormous suffering involved in this case, in order to remind drivers that all animals – whether they’re humans, basset hounds or bass--value their lives and feel pain,” Kourda wrote.

Ashley Byrne, a spokeswoman for PETA, said the organization had called for memorials for other types of animals such as cows and pigs before, but this was the first time the group has called for a fish remembrance.

She said it’s appropriate.

“Hundreds of fish perished in this accident, suffocating slowly on the roadway,” she said.
In her letter, Kourda said that research shows that fish “use tools, tell time, sing and have impressive long-term memories and complex social structures …”

“The proposed sign would also remind tractor-trailer drivers of their responsibility to the thousands of animals who are hauled to their deaths every day,” Kourda wrote.

She wrote that the sign should be placed at the edge of the right-of-way, at a spot far from the road, as to prevent it from interfering with traffic.

Craig Reem, a spokesman with the city of Irvine, said he was not familiar with the city’s procedure for dealing with such a request.

“I do think it’s fair to say we have no plans to erect a memorial,” he said.

Shemp Howard
11-01-2012, 02:52 PM
What did President Owebama know about these senseless murders and when did he know it?

Dahoss9698
11-01-2012, 02:56 PM
I laughed...a lot.

Speaking of PETA, I found this article VERY interesting.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/03/petas-terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-history-of-killing-animals/254130/

boxcar
11-01-2012, 03:13 PM
What did President Owebama know about these senseless murders and when did he know it?

What's a riot in the article is the fact that these little fishies were on their way to a supermarket, presumably to be slaughtered, anyway. So, PETA is all aghast over their slightly early demise by suffocation on a street, but suffocating them for human consumption (at least the ones with their heads still attached), PETA would have been okay with that? What a shocker! :rolleyes:

Boxcar

TJDave
11-01-2012, 03:40 PM
So, PETA is all aghast over their slightly early demise by suffocation on a street, but suffocating them for human consumption (at least the ones with their heads still attached), PETA would have been okay with that? What a shocker! :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Everyone needs a hobby.

Me?--I'm an anti-sportfishing zealot. Got no problem with catching and killing them...but catch and release= BIG problem. :mad:

Tom
11-01-2012, 10:16 PM
I used to fish a lot.
Well, drown worms a lot.
You do know you can buy fish, caught, cleaned, frozen, right?

It's what separates us from the animal world - supermarkets!

Hosshead
11-03-2012, 09:41 AM
As a memorial, a sushi bar is being built at that corner.