PDA

View Full Version : 80 deg.'s and winter coat

sammy the sage
10-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Is that hot enough to make them uncomfortable...

Made mucho dinero over the years in July playing local against short priced northern horses traveling to S.Fla. in 95 deg.'s and 90% humidity...

Wondering if the reverse is true and at what point/temp.?

Robert Fischer
10-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Is that hot enough to make them uncomfortable...

Made mucho dinero over the years in July playing local against short priced northern horses traveling to S.Fla. in 95 deg.'s and 90% humidity...

Wondering if the reverse is true and at what point/temp.?

I've never used that angle. Good idea.

Something I do is pass if my key horse is "washing out" pre-race.
There are horses that perspire, but I'm looking at body language as well.

A southern horse, or even a Florida horse coming north to cold weather ??
It would probably have to be REALLY cold. Kind of one of those things with the animal and once they get warmed up that they will be comfortable.
Intent will trump the weather. ex- Why did they bring this emerging stakes horse from Calder up north ?? Was it a trainer coming up for a whole string of races ?

davew
10-31-2012, 02:03 PM
If you are wondering about the Breeders Cup this weekend, I would say no, not too hot and not much winter coat on training horses.

fmolf
10-31-2012, 05:50 PM
If you are wondering about the Breeders Cup this weekend, I would say no, not too hot and not much winter coat on training horses.
I would also say no but if a horse i liked had his winter coat and was sweating in the post parade i would generally get off him.
I have made good money on Fla. shippers to aqueduct in the spring as the cooler weather in april has an energizing effect on these horses.Horse must be spotted correctly by trainer but they generally run to their good races.A plus if the trainer has shipped north before and won first out.