PDA

View Full Version : Outrage

JimL
01-26-2004, 07:28 AM
A friend at the track told me that our troops were having a terrible weekend in Iraq, so when I got home I turned on CNN, to see how bad it was. They were showing a one hour special, Ben and J Lo. I turn to the fair and balanced network and they are showing Michael Jackson, dancing on his car and Rivera telling me how innocent he is! This is an outrage and these jokers should be relagated to where they belong. Not sure where that would be! JimL

ljb
01-26-2004, 09:48 AM
CBS (fox lite) had a nice presentation of the golden globes. Where ya gonna go to get the news ? The internet?

so.cal.fan
01-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Just check the top seaches on the net, you guys.

It is always:
J Lo and Ben
Britany Speers
Michael Jackson
or some other insignificant nonsense.

Most people want gossip and entertainment or sports news.
I think sports are the healthiest diversion from grim news.
I don't think all these "celebrities" are.....but then again, I'm old and what the Hell do I know? LOL

Larry Hamilton
01-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Have you ever wondered about the self importance of an industry that once a year has several awards for "Best of ..."

Do normal people get Engineer of the year awards, complete with flash bulbs and slavering teenagers? Then we are treated to their extensive knowledge on subjects like "Are we damaging the ozone layer" when most couldnt even point to the ozone layer.

What seems to be lost in all the celebration is that these people are celebrities for their ability to imitate another's real life.

Good one So.Cal.Fans

Secretariat
01-26-2004, 11:46 AM
I think we all agree, whatever political affiiliation, that this useless crap on Michael Jackson, Kobe's latest appearance at some friggin pre-trial issue, and J-Lo and Ben's adventures are the worst in television coverage.

so.cal.fan
01-26-2004, 11:57 AM
I think we all would like to see more information on cable news that is meaningful to our lives. Health and financial issues, etc.
If we want to know about Kobe, Michael or Ben and J.Lo, we can pick up a National Inquirer.
Now I have an idea for a BOYCOTT! Britany Speers, everytime we see or hear her on cable news....email the editor and protest.
:p

Bubbles
01-26-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by so.cal.fan
I think we all would like to see more information on cable news that is meaningful to our lives. Health and financial issues, etc.
If we want to know about Kobe, Michael or Ben and J.Lo, we can pick up a National Inquirer.
Now I have an idea for a BOYCOTT! Britany Speers, everytime we see or hear her on cable news....email the editor and protest.
:p

Amen to everything but the Britney boycott. That'll just give her more publicity, making her stick around another year or two. Now if it was a Jackson boycott, I'm all for it, because he's done so many things to warrant it. Seriously, who wants to hear about his dangling of children from balconies or his horrible skin?

so.cal.fan
01-26-2004, 12:48 PM
Point well made, Bubbles!

Michael Jackson is not the "king of pop" more like the "queen of
weird".

BIG RED
01-26-2004, 12:54 PM
I racall reading an article in readers digest this past year about the industries awards.You mention 'several awards'( which is more than enough for me), it stated they hold over560 of them! If they show them all, we would actually see how much they glorify themselves. Think about it. That's all you would see at night!!

andicap
01-26-2004, 05:37 PM
You're all spitting into the wind. Take it from me : I report on the TV news media for a living.

Repeat after me:

The news and entertainment networks air what people are watching. Often it is in a different demographic group than many of the people on this board.
For news, 25-54 is the usual group. For entertainment it's 18-49 (and sometimes 25-54).
For the WB, UPN, MTV, etc. its 12-34 focusing strongly on 12-24.

Except for certain shows (the evening news, the Sunday morning network news shows like Meet the Press), the advertising is geared toward people under 55. Money talks (within some rather broad limits).

The bottom line: The cable networks run celebrity news because people watch it. If more people were interested in what was happening in Iraq, they would air that.
Want to get news from Iraq?
1. Watch Lehrer Report on PBS
2. Listen to NPR (OK, I know most of you think its left-leaning.)
3. Watch BBC World News (Ditto from NPR)
4. Read the newspaper or news magazines or websites
5. The evening newscasts on the broadcast networks do NOT contrary to popular belief run many stories on entertainers (with the exception of Michael Jackson or Kobe Bryant WHEN there is news.) They do not do Brittney, JLo, etc.
But they are not blameless either. They have basically forgotten about Afghanistan where Americans are still in harms way there too and they get just as caught up in the Laci Peterson murder as everyone else. (Why is THIS murder worth so much airtime when there are so many others, even including husbands and wives? Answer: they were white, she was good-looking.)

The problem is that American troops are getting killed in Iraq so consistently these days it doesn't always qualify as "news" unless it's something particularly horrific or unusual, etc. Think of it like reporting on murders in a big city like Detroit. It's not necessarily news when someone gets killed. Tragic, yes. But not news unless it's a unique situation.

But again, they are reflecting what people (especially under 55) want to watch.

Derek2U
01-26-2004, 05:59 PM
hey leave Britney alone she's HoT & she drinks a lot & smokes
& plays in vegas so she's gotta b Aok.

Tom
01-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Derek2U
hey leave Britney alone she's HoT & she drinks a lot & smokes
& plays in vegas so she's gotta b Aok.

Yeah!:mad:

Tom
01-26-2004, 06:32 PM
So much disdain for entertainment news, I almost feel like not posting, but that never stopped me before <G>
I have the insode scoop on why J-Lo dropped Ben.....when asked, he told yes, that dress made her *ss look fat!

Secretariat
01-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Andicap,

Thanks. A sad commentary on our society.

Derek2U
01-26-2004, 07:43 PM
I've been married 8 mos & I've just posted my Manifesto its 6
items: Comments welcomed ...

#1... SILENCE --- The final frontier.
#2... The undisclosed side of banking: Making Deposits
#3... Telephone Skills: How 2 Hang Up
#4... Bran & Tofu are not 4 human consumption
#5... The TV remote is 4 MEN ONLY
#6... His Razor is HIS ALONE

so.cal.fan
01-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Yeah, sad commentary indeed. I wish I could argue with Andicap on this, but can't.

Tom
01-26-2004, 07:55 PM
You are either news or your are entertainment.
If you think you can be both, you are entertainment.
We put a great deal of importance on the free press in this coutnry and in return, we have a right to respect a certain amount of responsibility from those who tend to hide under that cloak. I agree with andicap to the extend that if I want to watch real news, I don't look to NBC, CBS, or ABC, or even CNN (just turning on a caera and speculating on and on ad nausium about what might be happening is now news). CNN and ABC both let Howard Stern liteners on the air as supposed eye witnesses to breaking news (OJ's Bronco chase-ABC and the cruise ship fire -CNN) These unacceptable events told me all I ever need know about ABC and CNN intergrity and creditbility - zero.
But leave Britteny alone.....she is definatley entertainment!

JustRalph
01-27-2004, 04:24 AM
That people actually watched that damn show "Simple Life"

with the racoon eyed slut in it? I swear I think FOX released that video of Paris Hilton screwing 10 days before the show started just to get the ratings up for the show.....................

What a piece of crap...... I watched the preview show for ten minutes and almost puked.........and now I see they are running a reunion show?

God.....thank god survivor is coming back.....HA! :D

JimL
01-27-2004, 07:36 AM
CNN, just reported another large explosion in Iraq, with more American, deaths. They had to break in on their piece about Martha Stewart. Why cant we stop this killing? JimL

doophus
01-27-2004, 07:56 AM
JimL....

Stopping the killing?

IMO, the larger ?? are: here or there (streets of Las Vegas, NYC, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, et al) or the Mid East? innocent and untrained victims or combat-trained military?

The military will handle the Al Quaida prblm, IF the d**n pols stay out of the fray.

My question, who will stop the killings in Gore country?

George

JimL
01-27-2004, 08:26 AM
Understand there were Iraq deaths in this bombing, I did not mean to minimize that. Gore Country? Way over my head!

Derek2U
01-27-2004, 08:47 AM
That Nicole Kidman is like sooo yesterday & so is that J-LOse
but Scarlett Johanson & Jessica Simpson --- now HOT babes
still exist!! (PS: Paris, saw ur video & that BJ technique works
on a gherkin ok but .... salami, hehe))

Tom
01-27-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
.....That people actually watched that damn show "Simple Life....."

And taped it.
And backed up the tapes.
And stored a set off-site, in a fire proof box.
Some people, eh?

Suff
01-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by so.cal.fan
Just check the top seaches on the net, you guys.

Britany Spears

( add 2 cups of hill billy) Jon Benet Ramsey unmurdered.