PDA

View Full Version : U.S. weather and race card cancellations

trying2win
01-26-2004, 04:25 AM
--Judging by current temperatures at some northeastern U.S. thoroughbred tracks, plus looking at some of this week's weather forecasts, I wonder how many more race card cancellations there will be?

--Recently downloaded some data files for Turfway Park and Mountaineer Park. Some race card cancellations soon followed. Might as well not download data files for some tracks, too far in advance over the next few days.

--Thoroughbred fans looking for their racing fix on Monday of this week, might have to settle for tracks like The Fairgrounds, Turf Paradise, Tampa Bay or Portland Meadows. Only problem with Tampa Bay and Portland Meadows, is that they aren't readily available for betting through a lot of services. I like playing the horses at Turf Paradise. Haven't tried The Fairgrounds this meet. Anybody like playing there?

--I have my doubts whether there will any racing at Beulah, Philly Park, or Mountaineer on Monday, due to the cold weather. We'll soon find out.

T2W

trying2win
01-26-2004, 03:04 PM
--So much for brilliant predictions for race card cancellations for this Monday! Only averaged the same as betting on favorities...i.e. 1 out of 3.

--Just checked the current temperatures at Beulah Park at 3:00 P.M. (EST)...36 degrees F. Meanwhile, over at Philly Park...20 degrees F (brrr!). The jockeys must be especially hardy who are riding at Philadelphia Park today.

--Looks like no racing at Mountaineer Park today though.

T2W

Valuist
01-26-2004, 03:09 PM
I can't imagine a track closing if its around 20. I remember going to Turfway around 10 years ago. It was 5 below; they DID cancel but a couple friends and I drove north to Beulah because we knew they couldn't afford to cancel. Sure enough, 5 below w/a wind chill of 25 below and they still ran.

Tom
01-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Next couple of days look bad for the East. Right now, I am betting on a match race....who will get here first, the 8-12 inches of snow or the guy from Sears to fix my sno blower?Flakes are already falling! *groan*

Playing Beulah today.....pretty much a white out at times, but at least the twins are visable. Talk about a pic 4!:D

trying2win
01-26-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
I can't imagine a track closing if its around 20. I remember going to Turfway around 10 years ago. It was 5 below; they DID cancel but a couple friends and I drove north to Beulah because we knew they couldn't afford to cancel. Sure enough, 5 below w/a wind chill of 25 below and they still ran.

Valuist,

--Thanks for the info. I don't know the criteria temperature-wise (with or without the wind chill effect) is, for tracks to cancel a thoroughbred card for the day.

--(NOTE: In Canada, we usually state temperatures in degress Celius. But for this post, I'll just list degrees Fahrenheit)
Here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, I've seen the harness races holding a card at -11 F, in the past.

--Right now its approx. -27 F, with a wind chill effect of -45 F here in our city...BRRR! A week ago it was around 32 above F, with freezing rain. Then the weather has continued on in our city with dropping temperatures, plus snow falling day-after-day. Right now it's about -27 F, with a wind chill effect of -45 F

--After a week of chipping ice off the sidewalks with an
ice-chipper, plus shoveling snow day-after-day, no wonder my get-up-and-go feels like it has got-up-and-gone! Looking outside today, I see there's still more snow to shovel. Oh well, what can you do?

--How's the weather for some other PA members in your city lately? Can you empathize with the cold weather conditions, or will you be smug and rub it in, what with your warm weather and relaxing times?

Thanks,

T2W

Brian Flewwelling
01-27-2004, 11:14 AM
Hate to gloat, but here in Cranbrook, BC* it is a balmy 10 degrees above 'absolute zero' and the walk shoveller will be along shortly.

Fleww
:D :cool:

*BC stands for Balmy Climate :D