PDA

View Full Version : Panel: cut Ontario racing dates by 50%

RXB
10-30-2012, 01:49 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/panel-says-number-of-days-for-horse-racing-in-ontario-should-be-slashed-in-half/article4756339/

The standardbred sector would be hit especially hard, according to a draft of the report prepared by McKinsey & Company. At some tracks, slots money makes up more than 90 per cent of purses. Already, three of 17 tracks have closed.

Nobody watches, nobody bets, nobody cares-- so why should these places have been supported in the first place?

$345 million of slots subsidies to the Ontario racing industry in 2011.

Tom
10-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Fort Erie was to have run it's last card today.
Cancelled.
Go out with a whimper.

FantasticDan
10-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Tom, how many times have you been to Fort Erie over the yrs? Prettier track than FL?

Al Gobbi
10-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Report now out: http://value4money.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/HRIT-Final-Report-Oct-23-2012-EN.pdf
Key details:
* 45% cut in purses over the split codes.
* The lowest cuts will be at Woodbine for the Thoroughbreds at around 15%, the deepest cuts will be at harness tracks - 54 to 77% depending on track (see below). Purse pooling will be mandated and will be dictated by betting handle/customer interest.
* Instant racing, and other racing type of lotteries will be looked at. Minimum number of racetracks needed is six.

RECOMMENDED AVERAGE DAILY PURSE STRUCTURES/DATES:

Woodbine Thoroughbred: $400,000 (160)
Thoroughbred B Level: $100,000 (30)

WEG Harness: $264,000 (140)
Harness B Level: $73,000 (300)
Harness C Level: $30,000 (140)

Quarter Horse: $100,000 (30)

Tom
10-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Tom, how many times have you been to Fort Erie over the yrs? Prettier track than FL?

Many times - used to got 2-3 times a year, back in the 70s-80s-90s.
Quit going when I needed a passport to get back....I can't be sure they would LET me back in! :D

Much prettier track than FL - I think it tops Saratoga and Delaware. Most comfortable track I ever saw. Simulcasting brought it down a bit, but outside, it was always a great track.

I would got to FE/WO for mini vacations a lot. My circuit was Batavia at night, FE next day, WO Wed nights or next day.

usedtolovetvg
10-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Fort Erie was the prettiest and friendliest track I ever went to and I've been to more than 50. Also, loved that they had Canadian and U.S, $$$ windows. There was always a friendly rivalry at the cash windows before the days of one machine does all.

Racing will be forced to restructure. Now, whether it will be cost effective, I do no not know. I think the small harness tracks will come back as what they used to be, small family tracks that raced once a week or so and everyone in the community got involved. They won't be racing for the mega-purses that they do now but it was sure a lot more fun.

There is hope for the sport. Just look at the success of the boutique meets and the big events. Its the daily grind and the greed that has worn out the player, the horses and the tracks.

Remember, in Canada, you can always go see an NHL game in the winter.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

mannyberrios
10-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Fort Erie was the prettiest and friendliest track I ever went to and I've been to more than 50. Also, loved that they had Canadian and U.S, $$$ windows. There was always a friendly rivalry at the cash windows before the days of one machine does all.

Racing will be forced to restructure. Now, whether it will be cost effective, I do no not know. I think the small harness tracks will come back as what they used to be, small family tracks that raced once a week or so and everyone in the community got involved. They won't be racing for the mega-purses that they do now but it was sure a lot more fun.

There is hope for the sport. Just look at the success of the boutique meets and the big events. Its the daily grind and the greed that has worn out the player, the horses and the tracks.

Remember, in Canada, you can always go see an NHL game in the winter.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.The NHL is on strike right now

usedtolovetvg
10-30-2012, 04:54 PM
I know that's what my last line was supposed to indicate. I was trying to make a joke, but as my wife keeps on telling me, I'm not very funny.

mannyberrios
10-30-2012, 04:56 PM
I know that's what my last line was supposed to indicate. I was trying to make a joke, but as my wife keeps on telling me, I'm not very funny.
I though that it was a good joke

usedtolovetvg
10-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Thank you. My wife hated it.

edmond1
10-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Why can't Fort Erie horses run at Woodbine next year ? They could run 6 or 7 days a week. Jobs would be saved ......

usedtolovetvg
10-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Why can't Fort Erie horses run at Woodbine next year ? They could run 6 or 7 days a week. Jobs would be saved ......

Once the slots are gone, there won't be enough purse money to support the ownership.