PDA

View Full Version : iPad Mini Announcement Oct 23/12

HoofedInTheChest
10-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Apple is set to announce the iPad Mini on Oct 23/12. The release date was scheduled for Oct 26/12 but due to manufacturing issues the release date has been moved to Nov 2/12, just in time for Christmas!

Specs...

Screen size – 7.85 inches diagonal, about half the screen size of a regular iPad and slightly larger than the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7.
Screen – high definition, not the Retina display of the latest iPad
Connectivity – WiFi only version, as with the traditional iPad plus wireless, although the jury is still out on whether or not it will run on the latest higher speed LTE networks.
Battery life – 10 hours
Cameras – front-facing and rear camera, same as iPhone and larger iPad.
Processor — dual-core A5 chip

The price list has been leaked:

All prices are in U.S. $

8GB iPad mini Wi-Fi in Black – $249

8GB iPad mini Wi-Fi in White – $249

16GB iPad mini Wi-Fi in Black – $349

16GB iPad mini Wi-Fi in White – $349

32GB iPad mini Wi-Fi in Black – $449

32GB iPad mini Wi-Fi in White – $449

64GB iPad mini Wi-Fi in Black – $549

64GB iPad mini Wi-Fi in White – $549

32GB iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular in Black – $549

32GB iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular in White- $549

64GB iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular in Black – $649

64GB iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular in White- $649

badcompany
10-23-2012, 10:01 AM
I don't see the need for one, as I already have an IPhone, IPad & IPod, but Apple will probably sell a load of them as Xmas gifts.

DJofSD
10-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Some parts of the Apple web site not available. Updates being made, most likely.

As they say, stay tuned.

JustRalph
10-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Think kids and school books

DJofSD
10-23-2012, 12:43 PM
The school district my son is a part of is already there. Not completely but the books sit in the corner and the text books are softcopy accessed via a netbook located on the district's server.

Rumors were rampant before the school year started they would be getting iPads. Didn't happen at least at my son's school.

As a parent and a tax payer, I have mixed emotions about the possible use of iPads by the school district. It could be made a bit more tolerable if they means tested it, i.e. I could afford to buy my own, so, don't provide me with one for my son to use -- save a little bit of money. Spend the dollars on those that can not afford it.

badcompany
10-23-2012, 12:55 PM

IMO the device that truly replaces textbooks en masse will have to be really inexpensive and super durable.

RaceBookJoe
10-23-2012, 01:36 PM
The stock has been bouncing around like crazy today, currently pulling back to the $630-631 area.

badcompany
10-23-2012, 02:05 PM
The school district my son is a part of is already there. Not completely but the books sit in the corner and the text books are softcopy accessed via a netbook located on the district's server.

Rumors were rampant before the school year started they would be getting iPads. Didn't happen at least at my son's school.

As a parent and a tax payer, I have mixed emotions about the possible use of iPads by the school district. It could be made a bit more tolerable if they means tested it, i.e. I could afford to buy my own, so, don't provide me with one for my son to use -- save a little bit of money. Spend the dollars on those that can not afford it.

The IPAD is too high end for kids, considering how many will be broken, lost or stolen every year.

IMO, the best bet for kids would be a no-frills, dedicated reader.

JustRalph
10-23-2012, 02:32 PM
The bastards replaced Ipad 3 with Ipad 4 after 6 months. That is pissing a ton of people off. Including me

The mini at 329 bucks is just a little pricey if you ask me. And it's not retina.

Basically an iPad 2 but smaller

lsbets
10-23-2012, 02:37 PM
The bastards replaced Ipad 3 with Ipad 4 after 6 months. That is pissing a ton of people off. Including me

The mini at 329 bucks is just a little pricey if you ask me. And it's not retina.

Basically an iPad 2 but smaller

Just bought my wife the IPad3 with LTE for her birthday 2 weeks ago. She doesn't really need the 4, but I would have waited 2 weeks if it meant getting the latest and greatest. I didn't see any rumors about it, only talk of the mini.

I had thought about getting the mini for me, but it doesn't seem like anything special. Maybe I'll just get the 4, give that to my wife, and take her 3.

DJofSD
10-23-2012, 02:41 PM
New home page is up.

Time to go look at the new iPod Touch.

DJofSD
10-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Macrumors (http://www.macrumors.com/) perspective on the new stuff. Page down, it goes down a ways.

redshift1
10-23-2012, 03:57 PM
$329 IPad mini, hard to figure considering the Kindle Fire & Nexus are similar yet significantly lower in price.

Note 3rd Gen refurb @ $379.00 @ Apple store.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

DJofSD
10-23-2012, 04:21 PM
$329 IPad mini, hard to figure considering the Kindle Fire & Nexus are similar yet significantly lower in price.

Ya but they're not Apple products.

Don't forget this (WARNING: strong language used). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg)

redshift1
10-23-2012, 04:41 PM
True

JustRalph
10-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Having used an HTC EVO (the original) for the last 3 years, with 4G, I laughed my ass off at that, again................ :lol:

HoofedInTheChest
10-23-2012, 06:05 PM
I am shocked. Apple is digging their own grave with this price point, far too expensive for what you are getting compared to their competitors models. The specs are on par with the new iPad minus the retina display, screen resolution, and the A6X dual core chip. If the base model would have come in at $249, i think they would have sold a ton of these, now i'm not so sure. I have to keep reminding myself that the "Apple Sheep" will probably be all over this product but the informed buyer will more than likely take a pass.

Apple has a 60% share of the tablet market but i see that taking a huge hit in the coming year. It was announced this week that Samsung will no longer being manufacturing displays for Apple, which comes as no surprise after the lawsuits and the low profit margins on manufacturing. Samsung is already putting a huge dent in the smart phone market, more innovative technology without the "walls" that Apple has forced their customers to play within.

I have always been a fan of Apple's hardware, but their software is a completely different story. Being forced to play within the "Apple Garden" has always rubbed me the wrong way and i think that will be their undoing, along with sitting on a reputation instead of innovating new products. As it's been said before, "their one hell of marketing company", but i see the competitors coming in for the kill.

Hello Samsung!

JustRalph
10-23-2012, 06:19 PM
The west coast is owned by Apple. If you live anywhere near the coast you have to buy Apple or you aren't cool.

They will sell the crap out of it, even at that price point. The drones will come. They will have their Iphone, Ipad 4, and Ipad mini for the car or the jacket pocket.

Inertia is a valuable force at 329 bucks a pop. I thought for sure they would go 299.

EaHUpWuqNHY

I have 3 Ipads and an Android Tablet. Wife uses Blackberry, and I just went with another Android phone.

Pot, let me introduce you to the Kettle (Ralph) I get it..............

DJofSD
10-24-2012, 12:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c3IWqQnQhpU

RaceBookJoe
10-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Will be interesting to see what they announce tomorrow for earnings.

johnhannibalsmith
10-24-2012, 07:27 PM

Don't forget this (WARNING: strong language used). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg)

:D

I don't know Jill Squat about phones and 5G and all that jazz, but even a dummy like me found that hilarious. I think I may need to produce a few of my own videos like that.