PDA

View Full Version : Htr Software

mike
11-01-2001, 04:08 AM
ANY OPINIONS, I SPOKE TO KEN MASSA HE WAS INCREDIBLY HELPFUL.

Dick Schmidt
11-01-2001, 05:47 PM
Mike,

Ken wrote the first professional version of Tom Brohamer's MPH software and did a wonderful job. Since then, he has remained true to Tom's ideas of pace and modeling, but has added many new ratings and features. I've used the program some and found only two "weaknesses."

First, you need to read Tom Brohamer's book, Modern Pace Handicapping. You need it for detailed explanations of all the ratings and the reasoning behind them. In fact, you need to read it even if you don't intend to use the program. Every handicapper needs to read it.

Second, because it is model based (and dependent to a certain extent) you need to play every day, even if you don't bet. Models in any program (or on paper) require continuity, and this can get to be a pain if you only play a few days a week.

No matter how you handicap, I would recommend reading the book and looking at the program. It will make you a better player.

Dick

andicap
11-01-2001, 06:13 PM
I tested HTR a year and half ago and liked it. Didn't pursue it because I didn't have time to bet enough to support a $120/month nut.
I respectfully disagree with Dick about the modelling though. You don't have to use the modeler to be successful with HTR. There are many good features on there to use.
This isn't an endorsement, plug or pan of the software. Use it or not -- it depends on whether you are comfortable with how it works, whether you like to handicap that way and have the time to work with the software to discover how to make its features work for you. But that's true of every single piece of good software that you'll encounter.
It's no black box, you have to earn your winnings. But the figures seem strong and it's pretty user-friendly.

This is only to say you don't have to model (I don't model BTW) to use it.

GR1@HTR
11-01-2001, 08:44 PM
Mike,

Been using it for about 2 years now and have been very happy with it. Just about everything I know about handicapping has come from this program. BTW, me still learning.... If there was something in the program I didn't understand, then I pretty much went out and read a book on the subject to educate myself. Even took an Access class to be a better gambler/horsey player. Modeling is not necessary but helpful depending on your thoughts about it. Like Andicap said, it is not a black box and will not make you an instant winner. But if you are looking for solid data that might give you some insight to a race that you might not normally get, then this will certanially do it.

My philosophy on this program or any other solid program is that one must learn to master it. Learn all there is to know about the program...The strengths and weeknesses. Kinda like if you are givein only 1 weapon to to battle with. You better practice and figure out how use or else suffer the consequences.