PDA

View Full Version : RIP, George McGovern

ElKabong
10-22-2012, 02:02 AM
Didn't see any note, thought I'd start it.

Marshall Bennett
10-22-2012, 07:06 AM
I was able to vote for the first time that year because they lowered the voting age to 18. I voted for McGovern simply because I couldn't stand Nixon. I was sort of young and stupid, but was proud that I was voting. My opinion of the world was a lot more liberal back then too. My, how I've changed.
Rip George.

Tom
10-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Same here - m first vote.
RIP

BlueShoe
10-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Not mourning his passing, he was perhaps the first politician that I really detested. Always referred to him as "George McGrovel" :rolleyes: Of course, at the time was absolutely furious at Nixon for visiting the ChiComs and smooching Mao's behind, so in 1972 I went third party and voted for John Schmitz. Yes, 40 years ago I was just as conservative as I am today. Not long out of the Navy, very hawkish, and a fanatic anti communist, was disgusted with both major party candidates, but even more so regarding the senator from South Dakota.

PhantomOnTour
10-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Not mourning his passing, he was perhaps the first politician that I really detested. Always referred to him as "George McGrovel" :rolleyes: Of course, at the time was absolutely furious at Nixon for visiting the ChiComs and smooching Mao's behind, so in 1972 I went third party and voted for John Schmitz. Yes, 40 years ago I was just as conservative as I am today. Not long out of the Navy, very hawkish, and a fanatic anti communist, was disgusted with both major party candidates, but even more so regarding the senator from South Dakota.
I don't think anyone is asking you to light a candle and say a prayer, but don't you think it's better to just not comment on the death of someone you weren't a fan of, instead of posting that crap?

BlueShoe
10-22-2012, 12:04 PM
I don't think anyone is asking you to light a candle and say a prayer, but don't you think it's better to just not comment on the death of someone you weren't a fan of, instead of posting that crap?
Not expressing sorrow that one does not feel is not being disrespectful, there have been many, both public and private, whose passing I have not mourned. False statements of grief and regret, for the sake of public consumption, that are not true feelings, are the ones that are disrespectful.

Robert Goren
10-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Not mourning his passing, he was perhaps the first politician that I really detested. Always referred to him as "George McGrovel" :rolleyes: Of course, at the time was absolutely furious at Nixon for visiting the ChiComs and smooching Mao's behind, so in 1972 I went third party and voted for John Schmitz. Yes, 40 years ago I was just as conservative as I am today. Not long out of the Navy, very hawkish, and a fanatic anti communist, was disgusted with both major party candidates, but even more so regarding the senator from South Dakota. You have just shown yourself to be biggest jerk on this forum. And if you actually voted for Schmitz as you as you stated, then you are also one of dumbest.

horses4courses
10-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Not expressing sorrow that one does not feel is not being disrespectful, there have been many, both public and private, whose passing I have not mourned. False statements of grief and regret, for the sake of public consumption, that are not true feelings, are the ones that are disrespectful.

Well, BS, you can rest assured that there will be some not mourning your passing, either.
I'm sure they will be honest enough to admit their true feelings, too, whenever that day comes.
RIP George McGovern.

PhantomOnTour
10-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Yadda yadda yadda...my question was:
Isn't it more prudent to just NOT COMMENT AT ALL rather than say you will not mourn his passing?
Again, no one asked you to have a prayer vigil (you find that unnecessary) and i find your comment unnecessary.
We all know why you posted it: to show us all, AGAIN, what side of the political spectrum you stand on.
we know where you stand...yadda yadda yadda

BlueShoe
10-22-2012, 12:53 PM
You have just shown yourself to be biggest jerk on this forum. And if you actually voted for Schmitz as you as you stated, then you are also one of dumbest.
Just love it when the libs zap me. :ThmbUp: Yes I voted for Schmitz, have voted 3rd party three times in my life, the last in 2008. Have you ever heard of a protest vote, a contrarian expression of discontent with both candidates? Nixon was going to win in 72 and Obama carried California 2008 just as he will in 2012. My vote was meaningless, with no effect. Had the race been close, would not have voted 3rd party.

As for the lack of mourners upon my passing, which may come fairly soon since I am up in years, but of course not, that is a given. We all make enemies, do we not? Funerals and public expressions of grief do not honor the departed as a general rule, they are done for the benefit of the living.

I maintain my position and do not apologize for it. I disliked George McGovern and if the leftists that have rushed in do like it, that is their problem, not mine. For some truly nasty, hateful stuff, try reading the liberal website message boards when a conservative passes away.

fast4522
10-22-2012, 02:01 PM
I never cared for his politics or the people he inspired to think like him.
He lived a long life and proved that poll takers can be way off the mark at times.
RIP.

FantasticDan
10-22-2012, 02:08 PM
We all know why you posted it: to show us all, AGAIN, what side of the political spectrum you stand on. we know where you stand...yadda yadda yaddaWell shit, if all the righties here restricted their posts to not violate some standard of redundancy, there'd be about three total posts per day.. :lol:

bigmack
10-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Yadda yadda yadda...my question was:
Isn't it more prudent to just NOT COMMENT AT ALL rather than say you will not mourn his passing?
Again, no one asked you to have a prayer vigil (you find that unnecessary) and i find your comment unnecessary.
We all know why you posted it: to show us all, AGAIN, what side of the political spectrum you stand on.
we know where you stand...yadda yadda yadda
If I showed you where mostie & others had disparaging things to say about a passing R, would you & horsiesforcoursies be equally as offended?

johnhannibalsmith
10-22-2012, 02:21 PM
He had one of the best politician names ever and it works even better now than it did then.

PhantomOnTour
10-22-2012, 02:24 PM
If I showed you where mostie & others had disparaging things to say about a passing R, would you & horsiesforcoursies be equally as offended?
Absolutely - i even remember a thread where you said something to the tune of, "i don't speak ill of the dead" and i agreed with you.
And it's not that i'm offended - i'm just tired of people showing their ass at every turn, just so they can again espouse their political beliefs, which we are all aware of.

If a famous, uhhhhh, member of the Dallas Cowboys died i wouldn't post that i'm a Steelers fan and never really cared for the 'Boys...ya dig?

JustRalph
10-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Politically not my side of the fence

But i learned upon his death that he flew 35 combat missions in the big war

He was pilot in command on many of those and received a Distinguished Flying Cross for valor under fire and being wounded. He saved his plane and crew a couple of times using extraordinary flying skills and once landed a crippled bomber after taking shrapnel in the neck. His crew was saved.

Despite the politics, and the rest, the man was a genuine Patriot and hero.

RIP and a hearty thank you is deserved.

A. Pineda
10-22-2012, 02:57 PM
My first vote was in '72, and to this day, it still is the one that gave me the most satisfaction.
RIP George McGovern.

PhantomOnTour
10-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Politically not my side of the fence

But i learned upon his death that he flew 35 combat missions in the big war

He was pilot in command on many of those and received a Distinguished Flying Cross for valor under fire and being wounded. He saved his plane and crew a couple of times using extraordinary flying skills and once landed a crippled bomber after taking shrapnel in the neck. His crew was saved.

Despite the politics, and the rest, the man was a genuine Patriot and hero.

RIP and a hearty thank you is deserved.
That's what i'm talkin 'bout ! :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
10-22-2012, 03:19 PM
That's what i'm talkin 'bout ! :ThmbUp:But righties around here suck...and are crazy...Fantastic Dan and NJStinks and Mostie said so... :lol:

Oh, and maddog...can't forget about him...

Tom
10-22-2012, 03:24 PM
To this day, I wish he had won.
Nixon was the one alright. :bang:

McGovern was my first bet.

After the Watergate story broke, I was disillusioned with the whole process and stopped voting.

Then Clinton won and I realized I better start voting again so that would never happen again!:D

Robert Goren
10-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Just love it when the libs zap me. :ThmbUp: Yes I voted for Schmitz, have voted 3rd party three times in my life, the last in 2008. Have you ever heard of a protest vote, a contrarian expression of discontent with both candidates? Nixon was going to win in 72 and Obama carried California 2008 just as he will in 2012. My vote was meaningless, with no effect. Had the race been close, would not have voted 3rd party.

As for the lack of mourners upon my passing, which may come fairly soon since I am up in years, but of course not, that is a given. We all make enemies, do we not? Funerals and public expressions of grief do not honor the departed as a general rule, they are done for the benefit of the living.

I maintain my position and do not apologize for it. I disliked George McGovern and if the leftists that have rushed in do like it, that is their problem, not mine. For some truly nasty, hateful stuff, try reading the liberal website message boards when a conservative passes away.You may vote 3rd parties all you like. I voted for few myself including Harry Browne. You can vote for every right winger you like. Schmitz who was far right as you can get, but if that is cup of tea, vote for those right wingers you all want. Schmitz regardless of his politics was one of the sorriest excuse for human being to serve in congress(and that is saying quite abit). I would say the same thing if he was more liberal than McGovern. Maybe you did not know that back in 1972. Google him and you won't brag about voting him. By the way, his daughter was a even worse excuse for human being.

boxcar
10-22-2012, 08:59 PM

Not to mention hypocritical. Kudos to you for having the courage to speak your mind. :ThmbUp:

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
10-22-2012, 09:50 PM
I was able to vote for the first time that year because they lowered the voting age to 18. I voted for McGovern simply because I couldn't stand Nixon. I was sort of young and stupid, but was proud that I was voting. My opinion of the world was a lot more liberal back then too. My, how I've changed.
Rip George.

Funny how things work out, Marshall. My first vote was for George too. At the time I thought it was great that a real war hero - who was running for president - was saying he wanted us out of Vietnam. Plus McGovern was talking about legalizing pot! :ThmbUp:

Anyway, I may have been young & stupid at the time yet I may be more liberal today than I was then. :confused: ;)

RIP, George McGovern.

maddog42
10-22-2012, 11:58 PM
I guess I'm one of the few to be proud of voting for McGovern. I was thinking of dragging out my copy of "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail" by Hunter Thompson. Here is a picture of Hunter and McGovern in 1972.

http://peterfeld.tumblr.com/post/34108469246/hunter-s-thompson-and-george-s-mcgovern

McGovern once told a story about eating Lunch with Hunter Thompson:
He ordered something like 4 beers and 5 Bloody Marys. The Waitress said
"Are you expecting company? Should I sit you at a bigger table?"
Thompson growled back "No. I want those drinks for me!"

I am paraphrasing, but Thompson was an absolute Wild man and McGovern
told it much better.

Surprising that they were good friends. Sadly both are gone now.

bigmack
10-23-2012, 12:12 AM
I didn't know they were 'good' friends and why is it surprising?

JustRalph
10-23-2012, 12:20 AM
I guess I'm one of the few to be proud of voting for McGovern. I was thinking of dragging out my copy of "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail" by Hunter Thompson. Here is a picture of Hunter and McGovern in 1972.

http://peterfeld.tumblr.com/post/34108469246/hunter-s-thompson-and-george-s-mcgovern

McGovern once told a story about eating Lunch with Hunter Thompson:
He ordered something like 4 beers and 5 Bloody Marys. The Waitress said
"Are you expecting company? Should I sit you at a bigger table?"
Thompson growled back "No. I want those drinks for me!"

I am paraphrasing, but Thompson was an absolute Wild man and McGovern
told it much better.

Thompson was a kook drug addled fool. Not to mention crazy drunk. I liked his writing. He put a Gun in his mouth. No reason to worship a man who had such a vocabulary but couldn't fathom the concept of "excessiveness"

maddog42
10-23-2012, 01:00 AM
Thompson was a kook drug addled fool. Not to mention crazy drunk. I liked his writing. He put a Gun in his mouth. No reason to worship a man who had such a vocabulary but couldn't fathom the concept of "excessiveness"

The list of great writers who put a gun in their mouths probably wouldn't fit on this page. Who said anything about worship?

TJDave
10-23-2012, 01:09 AM

Dude, dead people are...d-e-a-d. I'm amused when folks get riled up about disrespecting dead people yet have no qualms about disrespecting the living. You know, people who can actually HEAR WHAT IS BEING SAID ABOUT THEM.

Marshall Bennett
10-23-2012, 06:09 AM
Dude, dead people are...d-e-a-d. I'm amused when folks get riled up about disrespecting dead people yet have no qualms about disrespecting the living. You know, people who can actually HEAR WHAT IS BEING SAID ABOUT THEM.
Perhaps it's not so much a disrespect for the dead, but a disrespect for the friends and families of the dead.
I was never a fan of Ted Kennedy and in fact detested him. I was none the less angered by some of the horrible comments made here after his passing by fellow conservatives here. I believe there's a time and place to voice your discontent over someone's political and personal life, and it's not immediately following their death.

Robert Goren
10-23-2012, 09:40 AM
I have said it before but I will say it again. I was taught that between the time a man(or woman) and the funeral, if you don't have anything good to say about the deceased then you keep your mouth shut. The day after the funeral the gloves come off, if you want. I have tried to live by that even though in some case it was really hard when I see a lowlife SOB politician praised as if he was the second coming of Lincoln. It was especially after the death of Strom Thurmond, but I held my piece until after the the funeral.

JustRalph
10-23-2012, 12:33 PM
You guys know they can't hear you, right?

After Tony Snow, all bets are off........

TJDave
10-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Perhaps it's not so much a disrespect for the dead, but a disrespect for the friends and families of the dead.
I was never a fan of Ted Kennedy and in fact detested him. I was none the less angered by some of the horrible comments made here after his passing by fellow conservatives here.

So, you think Teddy's family didn't know? :lol:

Marshall Bennett
10-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Didn't know what? :confused:

thaskalos
10-23-2012, 04:27 PM

I maintain my position and do not apologize for it. I disliked George McGovern and if the leftists that have rushed in do like it, that is their problem, not mine. For some truly nasty, hateful stuff, try reading the liberal website message boards when a conservative passes away.

My father died when I was relatively young. I remember sitting in the front seat of the hearse during the funeral procession, on a rainy Monday morning.

A man was walking along on the sidewalk, and, when the funeral procession got to him, I saw him remove his hat...and stay solemnly still in the rain, as the hearse with the coffin went by.

It's an image that I have held in my heart for 30 years...and it warms me up every time I think of it.

We don't have to know or agree with a man in order to be respectful at the time of his death...nor is there anything wrong with doing something respectful..."for the benefit of the living".

reckless
10-23-2012, 05:03 PM
My very first vote was also in 1972 and it was for George McGovern.

I never once regretted voting for him despite my continually proud gravitation toward conservative ideals from '72 on.

I love to tell of my McGovern vote and my lifelong respect of him to all my right leaning friends. When they ask why I always give the line attributed to the great Churchill... "If you are 18 and not a liberal, you have no heart; if you are 50 and not a conservative, you have no brains," or something to that affect.

McGovern himself was a highly-decorated war hero during WW II -- of course, that part of his patriotism and heroism didn't matter much for he did win his party's nomination as the anti-war candidate.

And, as most of us know, McGovern would suffer a disasterous landslide defeat to Richard Nixon due mostly, in part, to the GOP and Nixon villifyng him as the candidate for 'abortion, acid and amnesty,' all very hot social issues of the times.

Over the years Nixon would be incorrectly blamed for linking McGovern to the 'abortion, acid and amnesty' charge as a cheap, dirty political trick.

The reality of that line was proven different, according to the late journalist Robert Novak. He wrote a few years before he (Novak) died that it was Sen. Thomas Eagleton, a Democrat, who said that McGovern would be greatly rejected by the US people when they find out he's for 'abortion, pot and amnesty.' 'Pot' became acid for poetic reasons, I think. :)

McGovern, ironically, would later tab Eagleton to be his VP running mate and was with him '1,000 per cent' soon after it became known that Eagleton had electric shock treatments. Eagleton didn't have the character to tell McGovern all this before he was picked. McGovern would drop Eagleton from the ticket a week later and replace him with Kennedy-in-law, Sargent Shriver.

And now all the major players of the 1972 story -- Nixon, Spiro Agnew, Eagleton, Shriver, John Mitchell, and even Novak and Mark Felt -- are now all gone.

Not a single one of them had the class and character of George McGovern -- his radical left ideology notwithstanding.

BlueShoe
10-23-2012, 05:27 PM
You may vote 3rd parties all you like. I voted for few myself including Harry Browne. You can vote for every right winger you like. Schmitz who was far right as you can get, but if that is cup of tea, vote for those right wingers you all want. Schmitz regardless of his politics was one of the sorriest excuse for human being to serve in congress(and that is saying quite abit). I would say the same thing if he was more liberal than McGovern. Maybe you did not know that back in 1972. Google him and you won't brag about voting him. By the way, his daughter was a even worse excuse for human being.
In 1972 none of Schmitz's dark activities were known, and this was long before the Mary Kay scandals. He was then considered to be a very colorful if very controversial elected official who had lost a primary re election bid and who was eventually kicked out of the John Birch Society. He had great appeal to many on the far right and populists in some states, as witnessed by his receiving more than 9% of the vote in Idaho, actually finishing ahead of McGovern in a few counties.

Interesting and a bit puzzling about the vote for Harry Browne by a liberal, since he was a libertarian and free market advocate. I admired Browne, and was quite impressed after reading his "How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World."

Marshall Bennett
10-23-2012, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=reck

McGovern, ironically, would later tab Eagleton to be his VP running mate and was with him '1,000 per cent' soon after it became known that Eagleton had electric shock treatments. Eagleton didn't have the character to tell McGovern all this before he was picked. McGovern would drop Eagleton from the ticket a week later and replace him with Kennedy-in-law, Sargent Shriver.
[/QUOTE]
Considered one of the biggest blunders in election history though no doubt it wouldn't have changed the outcome. Believe he also promised if elected, a $2000 tax credit to all American tax payers which didn't go well for him either. Many thought of it as a joke, he assured voters it was not. The closer it got to election day the worse it seemed to get for McGovern. Don't know how many times a presidential candidate failed to carry his own state, but I'd imagine it's been rare.
George was a good man indeed, he simply performed poorly in this venture.

johnhannibalsmith
10-24-2012, 02:36 PM
On the subject of potentially good reasons not to speak ill of the dead for at least a coupla hours...

SAO PAULO - A 41-year-old car washer shocked his family when he interrupted a funeral being held for him at his mother's home in the town of Alagoinhas in northeastern Brazil, police said Tuesday.

Police inspector Roberto Lima said by telephone that on Sunday Jose Marcos Araujo identified a body at the city morgue as being that of his brother, Gilberto.

Lima said that Jose Marcos took the body to his mother's home where a wake was held.
A few hours before the Monday burial "a friend of Gilberto's saw him walking down the street and told him that his family was mourning him," he said.

"So he went to his mother's home to let everyone know he was very much alive."

When Araujo showed up at his wake "some people fainted and others were so scared they ran away.

http://news.yahoo.com/brazilian-man-appears-very-much-alive-own-funeral-222203122.html