PDA

View Full Version : Chantal Sutherland Hanging Up Her Tack?

Shelby
10-21-2012, 01:27 PM
TVG just said that according to Chantal's brother (via Twitter) she is hanging up her tack and is quitting riding.

picojim
10-21-2012, 01:29 PM
@raypaulick the great female Jockey Chantal retires today at home track Woodbine

Shelby
10-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Hugh Sutherland ‏@urbanfireman

Somewhat of a Sad day today as Chantal hangs up her tack for good to pursue another career. Her last mount is for her father Crushin Hard.

rrpic6
10-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Future odds of Chantal on cover of Playboy for next years' May (Ky. Derby) Issue is 20-1

RR

Shelby
10-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Ray Paulick ‏@raypaulick

@JockeyChantal Sutherland's brother @Urbanfireman has deleted Tweets about her retirement. Assume she will address this after R8 @Woodbine

-----

Ooops, looks like her brother let the cat out of the bag too early?

Shelby
10-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Hugh Sutherland ‏@urbanfireman

Sorry to all. Chantal has a plan of action relating to her announcement to the racing world. You will all know after Crushin Hard...my bad

--------

This is Chantal's brother.

----

TVG said that Chantal was a bit upset that the news got out. She didn't want anyone to know until after her last race.

-----

I hope she doesn't retire. I will miss her if she does.

JustRalph
10-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Good for her. I hope she has a mediocre career as an actress model. That way she makes a thousand times the money and doesn't have to worry about some idiot killing her on the racetrack.

Congrats......she had nothing to prove.

Tom
10-21-2012, 02:34 PM
What a moron her brother is!
Twits tweeting.

Shelby
10-21-2012, 02:40 PM
What a moron her brother is!
Twits tweeting.

I'm sure he just wasn't thinking....but, yeah, that's a screw-up for sure. Dang Twitter and Facebook will get ya every time lol.

nijinski
10-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Having to watch someone else win with Game On Dude had to be tough .
Riding him and just having a top string Baffert horse that you're named on , is huge . Losing this could have been more crushing than we know .

Robert Fischer
10-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Who knows what her decision was based on ?.. I certainly don't know enough to speculate on her career decisions.

castaway01
10-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Not sure what to say, but certainly not good news. Not speculating about the whole breathalyzer thing.

As a jockey, she's very attractive. As a model, not so much and way too old. Hopefully she's thinking things through before this new career move because unless she has something definite lined up (and based on what I've seen of her on camera, she is not the most comfortable commentator either, so I can't see her being the next Donna Barton Brothers or Jeanine Edwards), it could be rough.

Hope things work out for her, but not sure about this move.

showbet
10-21-2012, 04:26 PM
The announcement is on her website now:

http://www.chantalsutherlandjockey.com/home

"The moment has come where I have decided to announce my retirement from being a professional jockey; I almost can’t believe it myself. I’m not sad, but rather looking at another opportunity to begin a new chapter in my life. Looking ahead, I’m excited about new challenges and new opportunities that life has in store for me."

Shelby
10-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Looks like I'm not alone in placing a nostalgic bet on Crushin Hard lol. 20-1 m/l down to 6-1.

P.S. Thanks, PA, for starting a thread. My apologies, I shouldn't have gone off course on the other one.

nat1223
10-21-2012, 04:42 PM
i wish her the best in whatever she decides to do..hopefully she wins

precocity
10-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Future odds of Chantal on cover of Playboy for next years' May (Ky. Derby) Issue is 20-1

RR
9-5...!!!!!!

horses4courses
10-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Too risky a profession to do it much longer.
She won't lack for opportunities, whatever she pursues.
Good luck to her :ThmbUp:

racingfan378
10-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Did anyone see anything on the Woodbine simulcast about mgmt. making a goodbye speech to her on air?

I watched her last race and not ONE THING was said about her last race. Unless I missed an earlier presentation....

thespaah
10-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Who knows what her decision was based on ?.. I certainly don't know enough to speculate on her career decisions.
Maybe she wants kids?

Shelby
10-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Did anyone see anything on the Woodbine simulcast about mgmt. making a goodbye speech to her on air?

I watched her last race and not ONE THING was said about her last race. Unless I missed an earlier presentation....

Her brother kind of screwed up and tweeted about it before he was supposed to. When Dawn L. at Woodbine went to ask Chantal about it, Dawn said that she got kind of upset. Dawn said Woodbine decided to let her announce it the way she wanted to. She wasn't going to make an announcement about it until after her last race.

racingfan378
10-21-2012, 05:13 PM
well her last race ran and not a thing was said. what a classy way to go out :confused:

racingfan378
10-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Maybe she wants kids?

she does want kids and she said that while dating Mike on the show "jockeys"

however she isnt knocked up just yet and she will pull a P Val and come back. She is way too young to stop riding and making a TON of money on the mounts she has been getting.

racingfan378
10-21-2012, 05:36 PM
they had a 5:30pm interview on the woodbine feed. she claims its mental stress and the 7 day a week demand.

i dont know, i just dont believe it b/c of her age, being injury free, etc

there HAS to be more behind it

bad decision! IMO (and again, my IMO only)

Sysonby
10-21-2012, 05:47 PM
she got married recently, so that might be part of it. I strongly suspect her husband's thoughts on her retirement are along the lines of "thank God" -- scarey to have a spouse in that profession

njcurveball
10-21-2012, 05:55 PM
She met and married the man of her dreams, what more could a little girl want? ;)

The Hawk
10-21-2012, 10:02 PM
She met and married the man of her dreams, what more could a little girl want? ;)

Absolutely. Her husband seems fairly well off, she wants kids, and she can probably make a decent amount of money if/when she wants to as a horse racing commentator - without the risk of getting injured, or worse. Seems like an easy decision. Good for her.

Stillriledup
10-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Good luck to Chantal going forward, smart decision. If you dont need the money, no need to be risking life and limb out there on the track.

davew
11-05-2012, 03:16 PM
I am happy for her - if she misses it in a few years, there will be many possibilities for her in Thoroghbred racing, that are much less dangerous.

nijinski
11-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Black Caviar graces the cover of Vogue http://www.vogue.com.au/fashion/news/black+caviar+graces+the+cover+of+vogue,20649 …

This would have been a good shoot for Chantal .

Nice to see Australia celebrate Black Caviar in Vogue.

davew
11-11-2012, 12:45 PM
nice article at woodbine
and watch the video interview with Dawn Lupul embedded on eight of page

http://www.woodbineentertainment.com/greenwood/RaceTrackNewsPage.aspx?NewsId=b8f7ab34-e307-4e3c-88c3-be6eb7a97fe6