PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Thoroughbreds

Valuist
10-18-2012, 12:19 AM
Midwest is in a terrible slump at Hawthorne. Ness gets most of the headlines but Brueggemann trains for Midwest at the Chicago tracks and was a runaway winner of the spring meet. Brueggemann is 1 for 30 at the fall Haw meet. Many of these runners have been heavily bet. Maybe there's a virus going thru his barn, and he will eventually heat up, but until then, everything he sends out is a go-against.

Striker
10-18-2012, 12:35 AM
He had 2 wins today. He will still win the training title and Midwest will take the owner title for the fall meet IMO. The EHV-1 outbreak was in Barn A which had some of his horses, and 2 horses have died from it already.

Valuist
10-18-2012, 09:47 AM
He had 2 wins today. He will still win the training title and Midwest will take the owner title for the fall meet IMO. The EHV-1 outbreak was in Barn A which had some of his horses, and 2 horses have died from it already.

OK, thanks for the update. I did not get a chance to see yesterday's results when I had originally posted. Looks like he had a first timer win at 5-2 and an even money shot win, as well as a 2nd. The virus definitely explains it because Midwest should dominate that meet.

I just downloaded the pps for Saturday, which is an Illinois stakes day and Bruggemann has a bunch of entrants. I'd still be leery of anything he sends out at a low price but I would have to amend my earlier statement of "everything he sends out is a go-against". Might be a good day to actually go to Haw and watch how his runners look in paddock and post parade.

Striker
10-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Looks like he had a first timer win at 5-2 and an even money shot win, as well as a 2nd. The virus definitely explains it because Midwest should dominate that meet.

They are loaded with 2yo and 3yo that have been training at Hawthorne the entire summer. I think but I could be wrong here, that they are 2 for 2 so far with horses making their first career start.

Valuist
10-18-2012, 01:31 PM
They are loaded with 2yo and 3yo that have been training at Hawthorne the entire summer. I think but I could be wrong here, that they are 2 for 2 so far with horses making their first career start.

That's interesting because I tend to prefer his runners making their 2nd career start. I have seen him do this move often; make debut and run ok but nothing great. Next start and they are betting with both hands. Horse should be 8-1 or 10-1 and he's 3-1 to 7-2 for most of the betting. When you see that, they probably know more than we do.

Striker
10-18-2012, 02:37 PM
That's interesting because I tend to prefer his runners making their 2nd career start. I have seen him do this move often; make debut and run ok but nothing great. Next start and they are betting with both hands. Horse should be 8-1 or 10-1 and he's 3-1 to 7-2 for most of the betting. When you see that, they probably know more than we do.
Just for some reason, maybe the fact that they had Hawthorne basically to themselves, I think Roger B put a lot more workouts into the horses before making their debut this fall. The first 2 winners have certainly played right to what you just stated as 1 of the winners was at the Md15000 for Midwest and won at 5-2 and the other debut winner for Roger B wasn't for Midwest but the horse was working with all of Roger's younger horses and showed the best gate work out of 13 juvenile horses for Roger B on 9/4 and went off at 6-1 in a statebred MSW. Both generous odds considering the trainer and connections. Roger scratched Band of Silence today at the MD25000 level. This one has worked heads up with Dance in the Snow the last 2 works, and Dance in the Snow was the winner at the Md15000 level for Roger B yet they entered this one at slightly higher level.

Robert Fischer
10-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Bruggemann and Block could be starting to heat up.

Some of the other guys you expect like Rivelli, DiVito...aren't as hot as you would expect lately either, but they are always respected.

Somewhat under-the-radar, Brian Williamson has been doing a nice job training outside of the supertrainer type of barns.

Valuist
10-18-2012, 02:56 PM
By the end of the meet, those guys all figure to be in the top 10.

The under the radar barns off to a good start:
Manny Perez 4 of 17
Scott Mullins 3 of 11
Eduardo Rodriguez 3 of 14

Striker
10-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Another trainer off to a slow meet is Joel Berndt, who won the 2010 fall meet trainer title. He always has a slow summer at Arlington but usually picks things up at Hawthorne and is currently 0 for 13.

Valuist
10-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Another trainer off to a slow meet is Joel Berndt, who won the 2010 fall meet trainer title. He always has a slow summer at Arlington but usually picks things up at Hawthorne and is currently 0 for 13.

If I remember correctly, Berndt started slowly last fall. I know most of his horses seem to improve on real dirt, but it seems they often need a race over the track.

Striker
10-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Some of the other guys you expect like Rivelli, DiVito...aren't as hot as you would expect lately either, but they are always respected.

Divito's two best IL breds, Third Chance and Banner Bill, are in quarantine right now and were supposed to run saturday in the IL bred stakes.

Striker
10-19-2012, 02:07 PM
If I remember correctly, Berndt started slowly last fall. I know most of his horses seem to improve on real dirt, but it seems they often need a race over the track.
He had around 13 wins by thanksgiving last year and was in the top 3. He finished with 24 wins and got 2nd in the trainer standings behind Roger.

Robert Fischer
10-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Divito's two best IL breds, Third Chance and Banner Bill, are in quarantine right now and were supposed to run saturday in the IL bred stakes.

Brian "under-the-radar" Williamson did ok yesterday

3 starts

9-1 2nd
3.7-1 2nd
14.1-1 -3rd

Robert Goren
10-19-2012, 02:12 PM
these horses will be shipped to tampa bay and jamie ness will have them winning at 50% rate.

Striker
10-19-2012, 02:42 PM
these horses will be shipped to tampa bay and jamie ness will have them winning at 50% rate.
I hear ya but Roger usually is Ness-like at Hawthorne at least.

Robert Fischer
10-19-2012, 03:07 PM
r4 @ keeneland today was basically a chicago race
Block(winner),Matthews, DiVito, Williamson, Demerite(scratch)
williamson 3rd @ 14-1 ;)

Striker
10-19-2012, 03:15 PM
r4 @ keeneland today was basically a chicago race
Block(winner),Matthews, DiVito, Williamson, Demerite(scratch)
williamson 3rd @ 14-1 ;)
Bambazonki has some talent. Talk about a horse that was lost as soon as he made the lead.

Striker
11-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Midwest T broke the record for most wins by an owner in a year(494) over this past weekend. With Tampa starting up in a few days and Hawthorne racing until the end of December, they will probably finish well ahead of the old record.

Some_One
11-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Midwest are the Lance Armstrong of the horse racing business, everyone knows they're up to something, something not natural, and it is just a matter of time til someone figures out with documented proof to nail them to the cross and rid the sport of this menace.

Valuist
11-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Midwest T broke the record for most wins by an owner in a year(494) over this past weekend. With Tampa starting up in a few days and Hawthorne racing until the end of December, they will probably finish well ahead of the old record.

Can they leave Chicago? I thought no horses could leave until January due to the virus.

illinoisbred
11-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Can they leave Chicago? I thought no horses could leave until January due to the virus.
I read elsewhere ALL have to remain on the grounds 28 days after the last positive test. Last I heard, Nov. 15th was the most recent positive.

Striker
11-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Virus was confirmed in the horse that was euthanized Monday so it is now 28 days from Nov. 26th.

Striker
11-29-2012, 01:30 PM
I would think most of the Midwest horses that are already racing in Chicago will race in Chicago until the end of December anyways. I will assume that most of the horses that will race at Tampa for Ness are already with him at the east coast tracks that he races his horses at. Exception might be the turf horses at Hawthorne but they might get a few more weeks of turf racing in Chicago anyways.

lamboguy
11-29-2012, 01:41 PM
I would think most of the Midwest horses that are already racing in Chicago will race in Chicago until the end of December anyways. I will assume that most of the horses that will race at Tampa for Ness are already with him at the east coast tracks that he races his horses at. Exception might be the turf horses at Hawthorne but they might get a few more weeks of turf racing in Chicago anyways.
they got to Oaklawn too!

Striker
11-29-2012, 02:33 PM
they got to Oaklawn too!
Lots of the trainers from Chicago go to Oaklawn but it might be a little tougher this year to transition there from Chicago given the virus. Oaklawn has banned all horses on the grounds from Hawthorne since early November, and there was just another horse put down because of the virus here 3 days ago.

tbwinner
12-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Tampa not allowing any horses in from Hawthorne, no matter if past the quarantine date or not.