PDA

View Full Version : Trolls: Take notice. Trolling could cost you a job

highnote
10-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Interesting how trolling can now cost a person their job. Maybe it will clean things up on the internet? On the other hand, how will this affect freedom of speech?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/15/michael-brutsch-reddits-biggest-loses-job-identity-gawker_n_1967727.html

PaceAdvantage
10-17-2012, 01:56 AM
"I just like riling people up in my spare time."

Oy.

Then again, who among us doesn't? :lol:

JustRalph
10-17-2012, 02:01 AM
Another victim of Gawker Media

highnote
10-17-2012, 02:59 AM
"I just like riling people up in my spare time."

Oy.

Then again, who among us doesn't? :lol:

No one on PA would post anything just for the shake of riling people up. :rolleyes:

TJDave
10-17-2012, 05:51 AM
On the other hand, how will this affect freedom of speech?

Dude lost his job not his vocal chords.

highnote
10-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Dude lost his job not his vocal chords.

One person is a small sample.

Many people post anonymously with an expectation that their identity will be kept private.

What if someone threatened to release the names and addresses of anyone who posted on Paceadvantage, say, after December 31, 2012 -- do you think that there would be less people posting after that date?

newtothegame
10-18-2012, 12:03 AM
One person is a small sample.

Many people post anonymously with an expectation that their identity will be kept private.

What if someone threatened to release the names and addresses of anyone who posted on Paceadvantage, say, after December 31, 2012 -- do you think that there would be less people posting after that date?
I believe that ANYTIME you are posting in a public forum, (and did I see the guy was posting from work), that you should be aware of what you are posting and what position you hold with your employer and how it may be percieved by them.
For example, although slightly different, lets say I were to go out and get drunk one night and get into a fight. During said fight, someone recognizes me. As it turns out, as a member of management with the company I work for, I am responsible to them as well for my conduct (if it can be construed as detrimental to the company).
Do I agree, it would depend on the situation but I would lean towards freedom of speech on my own time. At work, is a different story. But, how do you separate the two when work knows what was said in your free time????

highnote
10-18-2012, 12:14 AM
I don't know all the facts about this particular reddit case. But if the guy was doing something on the internet at home in his spare time and didn't say anything negative about his company or do anything illegal then why is he being fired?

Sure, the boards he moderated seem like they are pretty dark and pushing the envelop, but if he didn't cross some line then why was he fired?

If people are trolling here on PA can they be fired?

Can you be fired for exercising freedom of speech outside of work when what you are saying has nothing to do with work?

Can you be fired for being a creep when you are not at work?

By the way, to show my ignorance -- I don't even know what reddit is!

I believe that ANYTIME you are posting in a public forum, (and did I see the guy was posting from work), that you should be aware of what you are posting and what position you hold with your employer and how it may be percieved by them.
For example, although slightly different, lets say I were to go out and get drunk one night and get into a fight. During said fight, someone recognizes me. As it turns out, as a member of management with the company I work for, I am responsible to them as well for my conduct (if it can be construed as detrimental to the company).
Do I agree, it would depend on the situation but I would lean towards freedom of speech on my own time. At work, is a different story. But, how do you separate the two when work knows what was said in your free time????

newtothegame
10-18-2012, 12:23 AM
I don't know all the facts about this particular reddit case. But if the guy was doing something on the internet at home in his spare time and didn't say anything negative about his company or do anything illegal then why is he being fired?

Sure, the boards he moderated seem like they are pretty dark and pushing the envelop, but if he didn't cross some line then why was he fired?

If people are trolling here on PA can they be fired?

Can you be fired for exercising freedom of speech outside of work when what you are saying has nothing to do with work?

Can you be fired for being a creep when you are not at work?

By the way, to show my ignorance -- I don't even know what reddit is!
I thought I answered your questions as best I could. If an employer deems what you're are doing as detrimental to them, then yes, they can act accordingly. Sure they may face a legal battle but versus negative PR, some are willing to try that.
I have seen some employers tell you not to bring certain bumper stickers on your vehicle if it is to be parked on their property.
We have a dress code in place where certain products like alcohol, political messages, even religion can not be advertised.
So yes, they can and do in some extreme cases.....and in this one I am sure the company felt well within their rights. If I am not mistaken, they guy immediately tried to change names and was extremely worried he would be fired. Why would he worry if he felt he was doing nothing wrong????

highnote
10-18-2012, 02:04 AM
Those are all good points you make.

I thought I answered your questions as best I could. If an employer deems what you're are doing as detrimental to them, then yes, they can act accordingly. Sure they may face a legal battle but versus negative PR, some are willing to try that.
I have seen some employers tell you not to bring certain bumper stickers on your vehicle if it is to be parked on their property.
We have a dress code in place where certain products like alcohol, political messages, even religion can not be advertised.
So yes, they can and do in some extreme cases.....and in this one I am sure the company felt well within their rights. If I am not mistaken, they guy immediately tried to change names and was extremely worried he would be fired. Why would he worry if he felt he was doing nothing wrong????