PDA

View Full Version : MLB playoffs

horses4courses
10-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Don't see a thread anywhere on this topic, so figured I'd start one.

This is one of the best times of the year for sports viewing in the US.
Baseball playoffs, and football getting into full swing. Hard to beat. :ThmbUp:

What does anyone think of the four teams left in MLB?
Are the Yankees done without Jeter?
Will Verlander put another nail in their coffin today?
Who do you like between STL/SF?
Plenty to contemplate......

OTM Al
10-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Been saying Detroit vs St Louis since this started so will stay with that. I think the Yanks can still win, but they must win tonight to pull it off. If they do, I think it goes 7. If not it likely ends tomorrow. St Louis got their split at SF. I'll say they win in 6. This has been one of the better playoffs in my memory.

Stillriledup
10-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Curt Shilling declared a Tigers win tonight 'the surest thing in the history of sports'.

Maybe Curt should bet a few million on the Tigers tonight! (alley-oop for someone!)

OTM Al
10-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Curt Shilling declared a Tigers win tonight 'the surest thing in the history of sports'.

Maybe Curt should bet a few million on the Tigers tonight! (alley-oop for someone!)

Verlander lifetime is 6-4 with a 4+ ERA lifetime against the Yanks. Doesn't look like a given to me.

MutuelClerk
10-16-2012, 11:52 PM
The Yankees are tough. They dont give up. JV is the best pitcher in baseball. Cabrera the best hitter ( Trout the MVP). Good thing we have alot of strikeout pitchers because our defense sucks. Sorry if this sounds repetitive. But.

GO GETTEM TIGERS!!!!

PaceAdvantage
10-17-2012, 01:45 AM
The Yankees are tough. They dont give up. JV is the best pitcher in baseball. Cabrera the best hitter ( Trout the MVP). Good thing we have alot of strikeout pitchers because our defense sucks. Sorry if this sounds repetitive. But.

GO GETTEM TIGERS!!!!The Yankees aren't tough...not right now anyway, with their worse than anemic hitting and their sudden rash of injuries.

Their pitching has been the only thing that has kept them alive, and miraculously, they did so tonight again, despite starter Hughes having to leave the game early because of a bad back.

It was kind of shocking to see this game as thought all but over going into the 9th and only down by 2 runs, but that's how bad Yankee hitting has been...

Stillriledup
10-17-2012, 11:51 AM
The Yankees aren't tough...not right now anyway, with their worse than anemic hitting and their sudden rash of injuries.

Their pitching has been the only thing that has kept them alive, and miraculously, they did so tonight again, despite starter Hughes having to leave the game early because of a bad back.

It was kind of shocking to see this game as thought all but over going into the 9th and only down by 2 runs, but that's how bad Yankee hitting has been...

PA, do you agree with Girardi putting Swisher on the on deck circle during Ibanez's at bat? If i saw that as a Tiger pitcher, there's no way i was going to give Raul anything good to hit. Why tip your hand that the next batter is a guy who has almost zero chance to make contact?

horses4courses
10-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Did anyone else hear Denis Eckersley's great piece of pre-game logic yesterday on TBS? I'm pretty sure I heard him say it was good for the Yankees to not have their best pitcher (Sabathia) up against Verlander. He figured that they were better off with Hughes, or any other starter, and hope they get lucky against the Tiger's ace.

Well, guess what, Eck?
The Yanks are now three down in a best of seven.
I'm thinking it will take more than Sabathia to scare the Tigers.

PaceAdvantage
10-18-2012, 12:58 AM
PA, do you agree with Girardi putting Swisher on the on deck circle during Ibanez's at bat? If i saw that as a Tiger pitcher, there's no way i was going to give Raul anything good to hit. Why tip your hand that the next batter is a guy who has almost zero chance to make contact?I would have had A-Rod on deck if anything. At least there was the chance he could get lucky...he's way overdue for that...

And this whole "A-Rod can't hit right handed pitching" is a farce. He's done about equally well against both types of pitchers over his career...I refuse to believe that all of a sudden he's completely crippled in this one area...

Look, I was getting as upset with A-Rod as anyone else, and was thrilled when Girardi made the move to Ibanez that won that game...but enough is enough...I can't believe he was going to sit Rodriguez AGAIN today (and I suppose tomorrow too when they finally get the game in).

The Yankees have lost their mojo...Jeter going down was the last straw...

They aren't a gelled team any longer...they are a hodgepodge team with a manager who looks like a drowning man desperate for anyone to throw him a lifeline.

pktruckdriver
10-18-2012, 01:13 PM
I would have had A-Rod on deck if anything. At least there was the chance he could get lucky...he's way overdue for that...

And this whole "A-Rod can't hit right handed pitching" is a farce. He's done about equally well against both types of pitchers over his career...I refuse to believe that all of a sudden he's completely crippled in this one area...

Look, I was getting as upset with A-Rod as anyone else, and was thrilled when Girardi made the move to Ibanez that won that game...but enough is enough...I can't believe he was going to sit Rodriguez AGAIN today (and I suppose tomorrow too when they finally get the game in).

The Yankees have lost their mojo...Jeter going down was the last straw...

They aren't a gelled team any longer...they are a hodgepodge team with a manager who looks like a drowning man desperate for anyone to throw him a lifeline.

:lol: :lol: Mind if I say WHAAAAAAA:lol: Poor Poor Yankee's