PDA

View Full Version : Norv and the collapse

Valuist
10-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Its amazing this guy still has a head coaching job. And to think its been nearly 20 years since Norv and Wannstedt were the coordinators for the Cowboys. They must have pictures on somebody because Wanny is the D-coordinator at Buffalo (the same team who allowed over 45 pts in 3 of their first 5 games).

Very rarely do you see a team playing as scared on a big lead as the Chargers did last night. Watching that second half, as soon as the Broncos cut the lead to 24-7, you could see the fear in Rivers and the Chargers. Dumervil and Miller started smelling blood and went for the kill. Kind of reminds me of the playoff game in the early 90s between the old Oiler team and Buffalo, and the Monday nighter around 10 years ago between Tampa and Manning's Colts. I swear I thought Rivers was going to start bawling right on the field after that last pick 6. Rivers has talent but not too much upstairs. Matthews is kind of the same way. They'll never win with players too mentally fragile.

Marshall Bennett
10-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Kind of reminds me of the playoff game in the early 90s between the old Oiler team and Buffalo
That was a killer for us Oiler fans. What was interesting was hearing afterwards how the Oiler secondary was pleading with the coaches to get away from the zone and go to man to man coverage. They would hear nothing of it and Buffalo continued to hammer the zone in the second half. Like taking candy from a baby.
There are times when coaches should listen to their players. After all, they're seeing the action first hand and can feel the breakdown.

Valuist
10-16-2012, 12:29 PM
That was a killer for us Oiler fans. What was interesting was hearing afterwards how the Oiler secondary was pleading with the coaches to get away from the zone and go to man to man coverage. They would hear nothing of it and Buffalo continued to hammer the zone in the second half. Like taking candy from a baby.
There are times when coaches should listen to their players. After all, they're seeing the action first hand and can feel the breakdown.

I think the real problem with the Oilers was had to go with the old Run and Shoot. They couldn't run the ball. They couldn't keep the clock moving. The game got extended and by the time it was 35-17 you got the feeling Buffalo was going to win.

Relwob Owner
10-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Its amazing this guy still has a head coaching job. And to think its been nearly 20 years since Norv and Wannstedt were the coordinators for the Cowboys. They must have pictures on somebody because Wanny is the D-coordinator at Buffalo (the same team who allowed over 45 pts in 3 of their first 5 games).

Very rarely do you see a team playing as scared on a big lead as the Chargers did last night. Watching that second half, as soon as the Broncos cut the lead to 24-7, you could see the fear in Rivers and the Chargers. Dumervil and Miller started smelling blood and went for the kill. Kind of reminds me of the playoff game in the early 90s between the old Oiler team and Buffalo, and the Monday nighter around 10 years ago between Tampa and Manning's Colts. I swear I thought Rivers was going to start bawling right on the field after that last pick 6. Rivers has talent but not too much upstairs. Matthews is kind of the same way. They'll never win with players too mentally fragile.

Could not agree more....I think players tend to reflect the mentality of their coaches and the Chargers definitely do. I feel like Norv is best suited as a coordinator but is definitely not the type of leader needed at the head coaching level.

Stillriledup
10-16-2012, 02:39 PM
When the game got to halftime, i was almost convinced that Manning would at least make this a game. I can't say that i was SURE he was going to WIN, but i was pretty sure those guys would 'make a run'.

Anything that was said in that locker room fell on deaf ears, "hey guys, keep playing hard". Yeah right, 24-0? Game over is what most of those players thought. Once you 'turn it off' its almost impossible to turn it back on. Once you lose that intensity, its really hard to ratchet it up again.

SD would have been ok had they not given Denver a 'free 7 pts' with a few mins left in the 3rd quarter. They had a nice drive going when it was 24-7 and for some odd reason, Norv/Rivers called a pass play that was predictable by the D and they barnstormed Rivers who coughed it up. That free 7 to make it 24-14 was really 'the game'. You just knew at that point, it was Mannings game to lose.