PDA

View Full Version : RG3

Valuist
10-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Redskins aren't exactly a marquee team, so if you haven't had a chance to watch RG3 play, it is absolute "must see TV". He is Michael Vick with a brain. Imagine Vicks speed and elusiveness but take away the bad decision making. I wouldn't yet put him in the same class with Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Ben and Eli YET but that doesn't mean he won't become that level. Right now he is the most exciting player in the league, and IMO, the most dangerous QB from the 10 yard line in. A lot of drives that normally would settle for FGs now turn into TDs. Too bad the Redskins don't have a defense.

ElKabong
10-15-2012, 10:29 PM
NFL arm.....all the espn heads were touting his running ability but he's had an NFL arm since High School.

Very happy for him. So many talented players get drafted into systems that don't fit their skills. RG3 was lucky in this regard

Bettowin
10-16-2012, 10:03 AM
He is fun to watch unless he is beating your team like he did to me on Sunday:( As you all know, the problem with a running QB in the NFL is that he IS going to take some vicious hits which will end up slowing him down and probably affecting his aggressiveness. Hopefully he will be elusive enough not to take any season ending hits but this is the NFL and he is going to get blasted at some point.

PhantomOnTour
10-16-2012, 10:24 AM
In my opinion, the best "running" QBs are the ones who run to a place where they can then throw the ball....don't cross the line of scrimmage!

(Elway, Big Ben, Rodgers)

sammy the sage
10-16-2012, 10:30 AM
I always liked Steve Young...the dumbass Bucs and many millions of NFL fans thought he was no good....traded for 3rd draft pick... :lol:

Bucs had NO offensive line...and if you're on your ASS...you're no good and it's your fault... :D

Valuist
10-16-2012, 10:38 AM
In my opinion, the best "running" QBs are the ones who run to a place where they can then throw the ball....don't cross the line of scrimmage!

(Elway, Big Ben, Rodgers)

He will eventually have to move to that style. But for the time being, he is the most exciting player in the league.

RaceBookJoe
10-16-2012, 12:33 PM
He will eventually have to move to that style. But for the time being, he is the most exciting player in the league.

Agreed. I am a huge Redskins fan, its been a brutal couple of decades. RG3 gives us hope and like you mentioned, now we need to get help on D..especially the secondary. Our D has been beat up with the loss of Orakpo,Carriker,Merriweather and the Jackson suspension.

Valuist
10-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Agreed. I am a huge Redskins fan, its been a brutal couple of decades. RG3 gives us hope and like you mentioned, now we need to get help on D..especially the secondary. Our D has been beat up with the loss of Orakpo,Carriker,Merriweather and the Jackson suspension.

True although after watching Merriweather the last couple years, I'm not sure if he could've made any contribution. But no doubt the losses of Orakpo and Carriker are big. FWIW, since he got hurt, I haven't seen any of those GEICO commercials with Orakpo.

Stillriledup
10-16-2012, 02:42 PM
As long as RG3 is a 'running QB" he's going to get KILLED by the speed of the game. He almost got his block knocked off a few weeks ago, he needs to stay in the pocket and really pick and choose when he runs and not run at first sign of trouble.

ElKabong
10-17-2012, 12:54 AM
I thought by now RG3 would ditch the running. He can live off that arm and just be elusive w/o heading downfield

OTOH, I like it when a QB can move the sticks on 3rd down with his legs once in awhile when a WR isn't open. Huge bonus, rips the heart out of a DL

Valuist
10-17-2012, 09:32 AM
As long as RG3 is a 'running QB" he's going to get KILLED by the speed of the game. He almost got his block knocked off a few weeks ago, he needs to stay in the pocket and really pick and choose when he runs and not run at first sign of trouble.

There's a problem with your first sentence; Griffin IS the speed of the game. He hasn't played against a defender as fast as him. Yes the injury risk is there and he going to have to learn to slide but its not easy to take someone's head off when they are faster than you are.

Stillriledup
10-17-2012, 11:44 AM
There's a problem with your first sentence; Griffin IS the speed of the game. He hasn't played against a defender as fast as him. Yes the injury risk is there and he going to have to learn to slide but its not easy to take someone's head off when they are faster than you are.

RG3 is the modern, bigger version of Mike Vick. Vick gets POUNDED and if RG3 continues to run, he's going to take some massive licks. I'd like to see him have a long and fruitful career, but he needs to be a LITTLE smarter about when he runs imo.

elysiantraveller
10-17-2012, 01:30 PM
RG3 is the modern, bigger version of Mike Vick. Vick gets POUNDED and if RG3 continues to run, he's going to take some massive licks. I'd like to see him have a long and fruitful career, but he needs to be a LITTLE smarter about when he runs imo.

FWIW.

Michael Vick takes the vast majority of his shots behind the line of scrimmage, not beyond it.

Valuist
10-17-2012, 02:03 PM
FWIW.

Michael Vick takes the vast majority of his shots behind the line of scrimmage, not beyond it.

Excellent point. Even at his young age, RG3 has a lot more football smarts than Vick.

RaceBookJoe
10-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Excellent point. Even at his young age, RG3 has a lot more football smarts than Vick.

As long as he stays healthy, he will give opposing nightmares for the next decade.

Relwob Owner
10-17-2012, 07:44 PM

I really don't RG3 is that comparable to Michael Vick. other than the fact that they both are QB's that can run. RG3 is just so much better so far in his career. His QB rating is 20 points better than what I believe to be Vick's career average is and his completion percentage, so far, is 10-15 percent higher than Vick's. Yes, he needs to be more selective about running, and yes, he is young and defenses might figure him out a little more but I honestly don't think Vick has ever been close to being as good as RG3 has been so far in his short career.

RaceBookJoe
10-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Even though the Redskins lost yesterday, RG3 is the real deal. That 4th down conversion was amazing...its just too bad that he is surrounded by a complete lack of talent, especially on defense.

Robert Fischer
10-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Bob Griffin has almost earned his acronym. ;)

Stillriledup
10-27-2013, 07:01 PM

RG3 is a fraud, he's Mike Vick, just not as good.

Clocker
10-27-2013, 07:24 PM
RG3 is a fraud,

I don't know if I am ready to go that far yet, but he hasn't shown me much in the games I have seen. Washington is down 38-21 to the Broncos right now, and RG3 hasn't done near as well as the score would indicate.

TheEdge07
10-27-2013, 07:58 PM

Hes more sizzle then steak
more icing then cake

rastajenk
10-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Just think, people that are supposed to know this stuff considered him the equal (or nearly so) of Luck going into (and coming out of) the draft. He's no Akili Smith or Jamarcus Russell, but he's not going to be a 10-year face of the franchise kind of guy, either, unless the darker-hued Native Americans are really stubborn about it.

Stillriledup
10-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Just think, people that are supposed to know this stuff considered him the equal (or nearly so) of Luck going into (and coming out of) the draft. He's no Akili Smith or Jamarcus Russell, but he's not going to be a 10-year face of the franchise kind of guy, either, unless the darker-hued Native Americans are really stubborn about it.

His problem is that he's TOO athletic. When you are that athletic, you instinct is to run or at least move around in the pocket. Its hard to "harness" that gift and he hasnt done such a great job at harnessing it.

cj's dad
10-27-2013, 11:39 PM

A creation of the media.

ManU918
10-27-2013, 11:49 PM

I don't think its "people". It was one team who felt the need to move up and secure the pick. It only takes one team to feel a certain way about a player. Plenty of teams make mistakes but most of them don't give up that kind of package. Not sure why they would give up three first round picks and a second round pick to move up 4 spots in that draft. Do the Browns pick RG3 if they don't move up... Probably but is it worth all of those picks? **** no... That franchise will be shit for years because of that move. This isn't baseball where you can go out and buy a championship. You have to build the team through the draft. Obviously that's easier said now but I am only giving up that kind of package for sure fire QB's... Luck, Manning, Elway, etc

ManU918
10-28-2013, 12:10 AM
A creation of the media.

I don't think the media has anything to do with it. Its the team being desperate to fill a void. There is definitely over-hyping of a player by the media (Tim Tebow) but ultimately that has no input on the scouts and GM's who make the picks. Even the media in recent drafts have been caught off guard by some of the shit that has gone on. For example look at Danny Watkins... The Eagles picked him in the first round and two years later he gets cut. When teams need to fill a void they will reach and overreact. Or look at the Browns picking Weeden in the first round and now he is benched... Wait a second here... I might be on to something...Maybe teams should just stop drafting Big 12 players in the first round.

Stillriledup
10-28-2013, 12:47 AM
A creation of the media.

RG3's biggest gift is his athleticism, its not his throwing or his defense reading or his arm strength, its his legs and his ability to run around and escape if necessary. But, at this level of play, this isnt college (as Tebow found out) and you can't just overpower your rivals with athleticism, because most of the defenders are athletic freaks also, so you have to beat them with your brain first, and RG3 appears to be a guy who is relying solely on his athletic skill and that's going to get him out of this league in a hurry. He' taking a BEATING and when you take a beating, you dont hang around very long.

Look at Brady and Peyton, those guys rarely get hit and when they get hit, its not normally a crushing hit. When you have an elite QB, which the Skins think RG3 is, they need to shore up the O line at all costs. You have to protect that guy as if your life depends on it and they're doing a horrible job at keeping him in one piece.

SharpCat
10-28-2013, 01:49 AM
Just my personal oppinion. I think Cam Newton is a better quarterback.

Robert Fischer
10-28-2013, 06:16 AM
If I was running an NFL team...

Give me the worst franchise (Jacksonville for example).
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-JiOqtPzPra0/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAAA/b1QGDKU4FCA/s48-c-k/photo.jpg

I would have drafted Kaepernick, and I would drafted Pryor as his backup. [Look up when they were taken if you think that is unrealistic].

I would dress a 3rd active QB [Tebow], and he would get used in packages at times.

All 3 QBs would get used, and used hard *(similar to RB rotations).
These guys would be paid cheaply as well [kaepernick currently =$1,397,535, Pryor currently = $741,517, Tebow currently = FA], and being used in a rotation also keeps their future contracts lower.

I would hire a college coach to coordinate the offense, who I felt was smart and had success with the read-option.

While I would have a basketball guy at the TightEnd/WR position that is hot in the league(and often cheap on the salary cap as they are considered "projects" until they hit Pro Bowl), I would not have a super expensive WR taking up 2 guys contracts.

I would not carry a very expensive left tackle.
I would consider O-lineman that weren't necessarily super tall like the current prototype (maybe consider top black-college lineman [often simply a bit shorter], or Division 1 lineman who's stock fell due to height].
In general I also would trade a little size for mobility. = I have a nerd offensive coordinator, and I am running the read-option which defenders are scrambling all around... So give me guys who can move, extend plays etc... and best of all they are much cheaper than the 6'5 365lb monster that teams covet.

On defense I also hire a nerd coach. I have saved so much salary cap money on the QB, WR1 and elite Lineman positions, that I have about 3 extra quality defenders, and 2 extra spot play passrushers and an extra coverage DB.
I'm willing to innovate, but simply using the salary cap advantage and the foresight to spend on a smart coach is enough to be formidable.

Goal = 8-8 and play competitive, exciting football.

Seems weak, but this is the Jags we are talking about, and who knows we could get hot with our read-option...

Robert Fischer
10-28-2013, 06:43 AM

Robert Griffin can run good for a QB and he can throw pretty good.

Last year, with good coaching, he ran for 800yards. And that offense that he ran, along with his threat to run, inflated his throwing numbers so his passing stats looked better on paper than some passing QBs. And it made their RB look way better than he was as well.

They won a fair amount of games and looked like a half decent team, and it was with a fairly week roster.

The problem is that lots of guys can do what Robert Griffin did.
Like you said = Vick. Kaepernick, Russel Wilson, Pryor, Newton. That is off the top of my head, 5 guys, and guys that are accepted by the public.
In reality, lots of these others can as well that the public would doubt.

It is the scheme, and the ability of the QB to run like an athlete, and throw like a QB(2 qualities that aren't anywhere near as rare these days, as we act).

However when you just get 1 guy on your whole roster like that, and your backup QBs can't do those things at all, and you invest a shit-ton into the 1 guy, and he has a bunch of sponsorships, and he is supposed to be the face who sells the season-ticket-packages, etc....
Then the system breaks down.

You have suddenly paid the 1 guy wayyy more than he is worth, you also run up against the truth that this is tackle football.

So you have to cut-back on the runs.
And you try to put that 1 QB in safer positions. And you do more game-managing and drop back passing, even though the value of that guy is completely built around his ability to run like an athlete and throw like a QB within your scheme. And it's OK because he's selling tickets and his name is now a brand.

ManU918
10-28-2013, 09:04 AM
If I was running an NFL team...

Give me the worst franchise (Jacksonville for example).
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-JiOqtPzPra0/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAAA/b1QGDKU4FCA/s48-c-k/photo.jpg

I would have drafted Kaepernick, and I would drafted Pryor as his backup. [Look up when they were taken if you think that is unrealistic].

I would dress a 3rd active QB [Tebow], and he would get used in packages at times.

All 3 QBs would get used, and used hard *(similar to RB rotations).
These guys would be paid cheaply as well [kaepernick currently =$1,397,535, Pryor currently = $741,517, Tebow currently = FA], and being used in a rotation also keeps their future contracts lower.

So your saying in 2011 when Kaepernick was the 6th QB taken in the draft, you would have taken him with the 10th pick overall? I find that hard to believe. You say look up when they were taken its not unrealistic.... Of course it is... Looking at it in hindsight is so much easier... Just like every team that needed a QB who let Tom Brady go by would go back and draft him...Every team that needed a WR would go back and draft Cruz and not let the Giants sign him as an undrafted free agent. The list goes on and on.

No star QB is going to play/stay in a system where the head coach uses more then one QB... Kaepernick has the rest of this year and next year on his rookie contract then he will be one of the highest paid players in all of football. You say by using three QB's this would keep their future contracts lower? LOL... Are you serious? Using all three would motivate a player like Kaepernick to leave the franchise as soon as his time is up to go to the highest bidder. Not only that but go to a franchise where in 100% of the case in the NFL they only use one QB.

Robert Goren
10-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Sooner or later, probably sooner, RG III legs will go, the we will see how good a QB he is. If you a below average pocket passer and have to depend on your legs, you have about a 5 year career. Good pocket passers play for 15.

Robert Fischer
10-28-2013, 10:27 AM
So your saying in 2011 when Kaepernick was the 6th QB taken in the draft, you would have taken him with the 10th pick overall?

Kaepernick was taken Round 2, Pick 36.

Jags had the Round 1 10th overall pick.

I could have easily traded that pick for 2 late first round picks and used 1 of those to take Kaepernick.

No star QB is going to play/stay in a system where the head coach uses more then one QB... Kaepernick has the rest of this year and next year on his rookie contract then he will be one of the highest paid players in all of football. You say by using three QB's this would keep their future contracts lower? LOL... Are you serious? Using all three would motivate a player like Kaepernick to leave the franchise as soon as his time is up to go to the highest bidder. Not only that but go to a franchise where in 100% of the case in the NFL they only use one QB.

Now it appears that you are using hindsight in placing a high value or "star" label on Kaepernick.

Kaepernick was not in high demand and he was not a projected star out of college. He certainly was in no position to make demands out of college. He played very well for the University of Nevada, but he still went in Round 2 pick 36.

The only reason Kaepernick will now get a big contract, is because he starts for the 49ers and puts up starter numbers.

The whole emphasis on Kaepernick is moot.

My Jaguars wouldn't improve to a watchable 8-8 team because of Kaepernick, they would do so because of my changes.

Any of the QBs that I select will work. Kaepernick is by no means a necessary piece.

Kaepernick is just the example because he was easy to get, and he's easy to understand.

I would get these unwanted(at least in the 1st round) QBs, and use them hard. The QB position as a whole would have near 1000 yards rushing.

If one of the QBs wants to leave when their contract is up, that's fine with me. There would have to be a turnover, because I certainly wouldn't be giving them a salary on the scale of an NFL starting QB.

The whole point is the scheme, not the individual, and one of the benefits is the ability to afford higher quality defensive players than teams who pay big contracts to QB, Left Tackle, and WR1.

RaceBookJoe
10-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Sooner or later, probably sooner, RG III legs will go, the we will see how good a QB he is. If you a below average pocket passer and have to depend on your legs, you have about a 5 year career. Good pocket passers play for 15.

not if they have a crappy oline.

RaceBookJoe
10-28-2013, 11:26 AM
RG3 decision making is way off this year, holding the ball too long, not going through his progressions/locking onto receivers. He missed quite a few huge gain opportunities yesterday. His passes are spotty so far, not to mention the fact that outside of Pierre Garcon and Jordan Reed, no one else has reliable hands. Helu does, but they aren't using him correctly. Kyle Shannahan has been calling terrible gameplans.

ManU918
10-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Kaepernick was taken Round 2, Pick 36.

Jags had the Round 1 10th overall pick.

I could have easily traded that pick for 2 late first round picks and used 1 of those to take Kaepernick.

Now it appears that you are using hindsight in placing a high value or "star" label on Kaepernick.

Kaepernick was not in high demand and he was not a projected star out of college. He certainly was in no position to make demands out of college. He played very well for the University of Nevada, but he still went in Round 2 pick 36.

The only reason Kaepernick will now get a big contract, is because he starts for the 49ers and puts up starter numbers.

The whole emphasis on Kaepernick is moot.

My Jaguars wouldn't improve to a watchable 8-8 team because of Kaepernick, they would do so because of my changes.

Any of the QBs that I select will work. Kaepernick is by no means a necessary piece.

Kaepernick is just the example because he was easy to get, and he's easy to understand.

I would get these unwanted(at least in the 1st round) QBs, and use them hard. The QB position as a whole would have near 1000 yards rushing.

If one of the QBs wants to leave when their contract is up, that's fine with me. There would have to be a turnover, because I certainly wouldn't be giving them a salary on the scale of an NFL starting QB.

The whole point is the scheme, not the individual, and one of the benefits is the ability to afford higher quality defensive players than teams who pay big contracts to QB, Left Tackle, and WR1.

I know when Kaepernick was selected and I know that the Jags had the 10th overall pick... I touched on that in my post. YES the Jags or any other team in the first round could have traded back and drafted Kaepernick, we know this already. Show me your post pre 2011 draft that states this and I will applaud you. Its 2013 and Kaepernick has already proven that he was overlooked and QB's like Locker, Ponder, Gabbert should not have been picked in front of him. You are stating the obvious.... If teams could go back and redraft then Kaepernick would be at the top of everyone's draft board.

Your changes don't make sense and would never work in the NFL.

According to you:

1) You would run a 3 QB system... Mostly 2 but would implement a third into the scheme.

2) You would get "unwanted" QBs who go late in the first round.... (That makes no sense at all... If a QB goes in the first 2 rounds then there was some kind of demand for him).

3) You say any QB's you select will work in your system... Oh really?

4) The QB's combined would have over 1000 rushing yards... What are you
going to have the 2006 Michael Vick and the 1990 Randall Cunningham on the same team? You do realize how absurd this comment is right? QB's need to be able to pass the ball. There are very few who can do both effectively. If you are putting in players who have a higher emphasis on running the ball, then teams will prepare for that. Also you never mention injuries... One of the best mobile QB's of all time Michael Vick has played in 16 games once in his eleven year career.

5) You want to continually use draft picks on the QB position because of the high turnover rate.... How do you plan to build a team if every year/every other year you are using your 1st or 2nd round picks on a QB? That's why team's like the Jaguars and Browns suck... They continually draft QB's in the first round and by doing so they are unable to improve other positions. The Browns have drafted Tim Couch, Brady Quinn and Brandon Weeden all in the last 13 years. The Jaguars have drafted Byron Leftwich, Blaine Gabbert and will be picking another QB in 2014. In the NFL when you draft a QB in the 1st round you need to get it right and make sure he is the guy who will run the show for 10 plus years. If not you are wasting a very valuable pick.

I must say... Your "plan" as a GM is probably the most ridiculous I have ever read... Then again, I guess that's why something like this will never happen in the NFL.

Valuist
10-28-2013, 12:04 PM
RG3 decision making is way off this year, holding the ball too long, not going through his progressions/locking onto receivers. He missed quite a few huge gain opportunities yesterday. His passes are spotty so far, not to mention the fact that outside of Pierre Garcon and Jordan Reed, no one else has reliable hands. Helu does, but they aren't using him correctly. Kyle Shannahan has been calling terrible gameplans.

RBJ-

I was flipping back and forth and I saw a Redskin receiver make a leaping one hand catch. Very impressive. Was that Garcon?

RaceBookJoe
10-28-2013, 12:31 PM
RBJ-

I was flipping back and forth and I saw a Redskin receiver make a leaping one hand catch. Very impressive. Was that Garcon?

Yeah, great catch from PG on a crappy throw from rg3. Redskins need another top receiver to open things up, Robinson has speed but has 50/50 hands, Hankerson needs to focus more because he has talent. Moss is done, Morgan decent blocker but no production. I was really high on the team depending on how rg3 came back from injury, but the team has a ton of holes. Maybe with their full salary cap back in play, plus most draft picls they can do something. Entire coaching staff is failing right now.

PhantomOnTour
10-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Shanahan inherited John Elway, and he's destroyed every QB he's had since.
I am not a big fan of RG3, but his head coach isn't exactly known for developing QB's.

RG played in a "42-40" conference (like gabbert, bradford, weeden) in college and suffered a bad injury as a rookie.
Tough break

Track Collector
10-28-2013, 12:47 PM
RG3 decision making is way off this year, holding the ball too long, not going through his progressions/locking onto receivers. He missed quite a few huge gain opportunities yesterday.

Spot on. :ThmbUp:

precocity
10-28-2013, 12:52 PM
good post exactly the way i see it!

RaceBookJoe
10-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Spot on. :ThmbUp:

Thanks, its one of the negatives of being a Redskins fan :bang:

Robert Fischer
10-28-2013, 01:00 PM
I must say... Your "plan" as a GM is probably the most ridiculous I have ever read... Then again, I guess that's why something like this will never happen in the NFL.

:D

thanks ManU. :ThmbUp:

ManU918
10-28-2013, 01:13 PM
:D

thanks ManU. :ThmbUp:

http://i.imgur.com/DbHrAsp.gif

rastajenk
10-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Looking at Baylor this year, I wonder if he wasn't propelled to greatness by the system. I'm sure he deserves his Heisman and Rookie of the Year awards, but long term, I think there are better investments out there at the QB position.

I have to disagree with ManU's assertion that it was just "one team" that contributed to his hype. He didn't win the above awards from the vote of Redskins beat writers. He was obviously going to be the first, second, or third pick in his draft; Washington trading up wasn't a shocker that left dratniks scratching their heads, and he was never going to get on a Brady Quinn-like slide through the sequence.

I think someone else mentioned it earlier: until they play some D in the Big 12 or whatever it is now, stats and reputations will continue to be inflated. :p

ManU918
10-28-2013, 02:33 PM
I have to disagree with ManU's assertion that it was just "one team" that contributed to his hype. He didn't win the above awards from the vote of Redskins beat writers. He was obviously going to be the first, second, or third pick in his draft; Washington trading up wasn't a shocker that left dratniks scratching their heads, and he was never going to get on a Brady Quinn-like slide through the sequence.

Yes, he was obviously going to be the 2nd or 3rd pick (Definitely the 2nd QB taken). The Colts were never taking RG3 over Luck... But the Redskins are the one franchise that gave up all of their future picks. So if the Browns would have taken him third overall they would have done so by not having to give up their 2012, 2013 and 2014 first round picks and their 2012 second round pick. It would have just been the logical thing to do for Cleveland. But the Redskins were the one team willing to piss away their future for a guy they thought had the same value of an Andrew Luck .

RaceBookJoe
10-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Yes, he was obviously going to be the 2nd or 3rd pick (Definitely the 2nd QB taken). The Colts were never taking RG3 over Luck... But the Redskins are the one franchise that gave up all of their future picks. So if the Browns would have taken him third overall they would have done so by not having to give up their 2012, 2013 and 2014 first round picks and their 2012 second round pick. It would have just been the logical thing to do for Cleveland. But the Redskins were the one team willing to piss away their future for a guy they thought had the same value of an Andrew Luck .

If I remember correctly, the only difference between the Redskins offer and the Browns was that extra 2nd round pick. I will also say that the bs salary cap penalty hasn't helped the Redskins either, a real oline would be nice :)

edit PS; that 2012 1st round pick they gave up, they received a 2012 1st round pick back so it was really only a switch of positions, cant remember how many spots off hand but it wasn't too bad overall.

ManU918
10-28-2013, 03:12 PM
If I remember correctly, the only difference between the Redskins offer and the Browns was that extra 2nd round pick. I will also say that the bs salary cap penalty hasn't helped the Redskins either, a real oline would be nice :)

edit PS; that 2012 1st round pick they gave up, they received a 2012 1st round pick back so it was really only a switch of positions, cant remember how many spots off hand but it wasn't too bad overall.

It was a four spot difference... That's my whole point. I'm not giving that many picks up in that draft unless I'm getting Luck. Regardless if it was the Redskins, Browns, etc whoever was moving up in that spot was making a mistake.

RaceBookJoe
10-28-2013, 03:29 PM
It was a four spot difference... That's my whole point. I'm not giving that many picks up in that draft unless I'm getting Luck. Regardless if it was the Redskins, Browns, etc whoever was moving up in that spot was making a mistake.

Right, I understand your point, all I was saying that the Redskins beat the Browns to the guy they both wanted by only moving back 4 spots. So in a sense, the Redskins got a young electric player with a ton of potential and the Browns got an almost 30yr rookie, but the Browns had offered the same with the exception of that extra 2nd rounder. Would I have done it, not sure honesty, always easy to see in hindsight..but I was hoping we would have gotten Russell Wilson when he came out. Its all in the past now, so they have to play the hand they have, but they need a really good offseason..unfortunately I still am not a fan of the coaching staff.

PhantomOnTour
09-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Time for Skins fans to move on - this dude will never be healthy for a full season.

NEVER

Stillriledup
09-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Time for Skins fans to move on - this dude will never be healthy for a full season.

NEVER

Looks done. I agree, time to move on. If he can't be healthy as a young man, what's going to happen when he's 30+?

Not good.

TheEdge07
09-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Looks done. I agree, time to move on. If he can't be healthy as a young man, what's going to happen when he's 30+?

Not good.

Redskins gave up couple of ones and other draft picks..
Hes a bust...
More sizzle then steak

Stillriledup
09-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Redskins gave up couple of ones and other draft picks..
Hes a bust...
More sizzle then steak

Hard to argue.

Robert Fischer
09-14-2014, 05:25 PM
In the short-term, running that college scheme with Robert Griffin paid off. It sold seat licenses, it brought them to the playoffs.

In the wider focus however, the Redskins invested a lot into something that was not sustainable.

Much like something else that is unsustainable that the Redskins are currently investing in.

tucker6
09-14-2014, 06:04 PM
dislocated ankle. Out indefinitely. Cousins may be the new starter in DC indefinitely. Reminds me a little of when Bledsoe got replaced by some hack named Brady. Never saw Bledsoe in NE again.

cj's dad
09-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Watched the game here- as soon as the backup came in - 21 points very quickly. I posted some time ago that he, RGIII, is a media creation,

cj
09-14-2014, 06:51 PM
Griffin was very good when playing a style that you just can't sustain in the NFL. Once the injuries came, he was done. Cousins looked very good again...it was Jacksonville though, we'll see.

PhantomOnTour
09-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Griffin was very good when playing a style that you just can't sustain in the NFL. Once the injuries came, he was done. Cousins looked very good again...it was Jacksonville though, we'll see.
Well said

tucker6
09-14-2014, 07:13 PM
Can we all agree that the running QB will never replace the prototypical dropback QB in the NFL? The experiment, with limited success, appears to have failed.

PhantomOnTour
09-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Can we all agree that the running QB will never replace the prototypical dropback QB in the NFL? The experiment, with limited success, appears to have failed.
Do you hear that Johnny Manziel?

cj's dad
09-14-2014, 11:56 PM

I have been saying that for years. When LB's are doing 4.7 40's at 260+ lbs, you can't run. This is not college.

Stillriledup
09-15-2014, 02:00 AM
I have been saying that for years. When LB's are doing 4.7 40's at 260+ lbs, you can't run. This is not college.

If you run, you have to be an expert at getting down before getting hit, or running out bounds.....most of these running QBs were able to avoid defenders in college, and before they realize they can't outrun NFL players, its usually too late.

Robert Fischer
09-15-2014, 03:34 AM
I don't know if it's impossible to get 600 yards+ rushing from the QB position each year, and build your offense around stretching the defense, but it's impossible to do it with a franchise QB.

You need 2-3 guys at all times.

Stillriledup
12-27-2015, 05:03 AM
Is RG3 done as an nfl qb?

tucker6
12-27-2015, 06:49 AM
Is RG3 done as an nfl qb?
No, but he is done in DC. If you are an owner who wants to sell more seats and jerseys, RGIII will now come at a cheaper price than before. Doesn't mean he'll win you anything. To me, he has upside only on the merchandising side. I just don't believe in run first QB's because they get hurt too much.