PDA

View Full Version : The Nobel Peace Prize

ArlJim78
10-12-2012, 06:36 AM
this year goes to...wait for it...the EU.

no I didn't get that from the Onion, it's apparently a true story.

Valuist
10-12-2012, 12:54 PM
this year goes to...wait for it...the EU.

no I didn't get that from the Onion, it's apparently a true story.

Lets look at past winners: Obama, Paul Krugman and Al Gore. The EU fits in nicely with the dysfunctional group.

Tom
10-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Does the EU have a Kill List, too?

pandy
10-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Lets look at past winners: Obama, Paul Krugman and Al Gore. The EU fits in nicely with the dysfunctional group.

You forgot Yassir Arafat, a mass murderer.

Krugman deserves a prize for nuttiness. His idea to cure our economic problems is for the Federal Gov't to borrow more money from China to give to the states so they could hire back all of the public workers that were laid off during the recession.

bigmack
10-12-2012, 01:22 PM
The importance of the NPP is on par with a piece of lint I found in my navel in 1982.

Interesting passage in Wiki:

The Nobel Peace Prize has in recent years been the subject of numerous controversies. The decisions to award Lê Ðức Thọ/Henry Kissinger, Yitzhak Rabin/Shimon Peres/Yasser Arafat, Jimmy Carter, Al Gore, Barack Obama, and the European Union were roundly criticised, as has the absence of Nobel Peace Prizes for individuals as diverse as Mohandas Gandhi, Ken Saro-Wiwa, Dorothy Day, Mordechai Vanunu, Gene Sharp, Sari Nusseibeh, and Bradley Manning. :confused:

TJDave
10-12-2012, 01:45 PM
The importance of the NPP is on par with a piece of lint I found in my navel in 1982.

Interesting passage in Wiki:

The Nobel Peace Prize has in recent years been the subject of numerous controversies. The decisions to award Lê Ðức Thọ/Henry Kissinger, Yitzhak Rabin/Shimon Peres/Yasser Arafat, Jimmy Carter, Al Gore, Barack Obama, and the European Union were roundly criticised, as has the absence of Nobel Peace Prizes for individuals as diverse as Mohandas Gandhi, Ken Saro-Wiwa, Dorothy Day, Mordechai Vanunu, Gene Sharp, Sari Nusseibeh, and Bradley Manning. :confused:

Trouble is...Anyone can nominate anyasshole.

How about a bigmack?

bigmack
10-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Trouble is...Anyone can nominate anyasshole.

How about a bigmack?
I don't get it.

TJDave
10-12-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't get it.

Anybody can be nominated for a Nobel prize. You want I should put your name up? Only cost you one dollar.

bigmack
10-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Anybody can be nominated for a Nobel prize. You want I should put your name up? Only cost you one dollar.
You're ALL wrong.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/NominationandSelectionofEconomicSciencesLaureates. png

And the point about BradManning is that Wiki says there was a controversy over him NOT being nominated. Where WAS that "controversy"?

TJDave
10-12-2012, 02:10 PM
You're ALL wrong.

I was wrong about the dollar part. :rolleyes:

Nominations will be submitted by members of national assemblies, governments, and international courts of law; university chancellors, professors of social science, history, philosophy, law and theology; leaders of peace research institutes and institutes of foreign affairs; previous Nobel Peace Prize Laureates; board members of organizations that have received the Nobel Peace Prize; present and past members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee; and former advisers of the Norwegian Nobel Institute.

bigmack
10-12-2012, 02:25 PM
I was wrong about the dollar part. :rolleyes:

Nominations will be submitted by members of national assemblies, governments, and international courts of law; university chancellors, professors of social science, history, philosophy, law and theology; leaders of peace research institutes and institutes of foreign affairs; previous Nobel Peace Prize Laureates; board members of organizations that have received the Nobel Peace Prize; present and past members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee; and former advisers of the Norwegian Nobel Institute.
Going by your post, I had my hopes of you throwing my sombrero in the ring.

Can I ASSume, you're NOT a qualifying person to enter a name?

Strike 2. No balls.

johnhannibalsmith
10-12-2012, 02:31 PM

Strike 2. No balls.

A half brother to :

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=4058310&registry=T

TJDave
10-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Can I ASSume, you're NOT a qualifying person to enter a name?

Never ASSume.

For all you know I might have my own peace research and foreign affairs institute...Or university. Might even have several.

bigmack
10-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Never ASSume.

For all you know I might have my own peace research and foreign affairs institute...Or university. Might even have several.
Moonlighting as a restaurant consultant? Don't kid a kidder.

Bettowin
10-12-2012, 03:52 PM
How does a guy who invents dynamite get a peace prize named after him?

HUSKER55
10-12-2012, 04:27 PM
you want to tell him no? :eek: :D

Actor
10-14-2012, 01:53 AM
How does a guy who invents dynamite get a peace prize named after him?By establishing the prize in his will and leaving all his money to endow it.