PDA

View Full Version : Mongo is dying.........Alex Karras

JustRalph
10-09-2012, 12:19 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8481005/reports-detroit-lions-great-alex-karras-kidney-failure

ElKabong
10-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Just read that on a sports board....One of the quickest DTs of the 70s. Had some bizzarre moves, which included a bunny hop, then was in the backfield in 2 strides. He could alter gameplans week after week

God Bless ya, Alex.

DJofSD
10-09-2012, 12:30 AM
May God grant him peace.

NJ Stinks
10-09-2012, 09:16 PM
I always liked Alex Karras. I'm old enough to remember him doing Monday Night Football on ABC and getting into trouble for betting along with Hornung.

Very sorry to read this news.

cj's dad
10-09-2012, 09:40 PM
I always liked Alex Karras. I'm old enough to remember him doing Monday Night Football on ABC and getting into trouble for betting along with Hornung.

Very sorry to read this news.

He was along with Hornung suspended for 1 year.

personal story re: AK. Years ago I was often told that i resembled him. there was a Monday night football game in then Memorial Stadium when AK was an announcer along with Cosell ?? theisman ? I was walking up the ramp to my upper deck seat which was directly above the announcers booth at the 40 yard line west (Colts) side.

A father ? sees me pass by and tells his kid ? that there's AK. The kid asks for my autograph. I tell him I am not Ak, the kid and father insist I am busy and don't have the time to as the parent ? says "he doesn't have time to give you an autograph".

Oh well !

God Bless Alex (Webster) Karras.

Greyfox
10-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Great football player, good wrestler, and okay actor.
May he rest in peace.

If anyone cannot connect the dots between the violence in both sports, possible brain injury and dementia and death at 77, wilful blindness has beset you.

PaceAdvantage
10-10-2012, 12:47 AM
He's not dead yet.

ElKabong
10-10-2012, 01:00 AM
re: dementia

This is what's driving me away from football more and more. I almost feel guilty just watching the game I've loved my entire life.

A year ago I saw Earl Campbell, the baddest sumbitch to ever play the game & maybe the nicest too. Completely hopped up on painkillers, downing them with beer (Bud). Broke my heart looking at him. In a wheelchair now, in contatnt, non stop pain - thus the pills.

Eventually those drugs will take their toll, a person's mind will be altered by that qty of chemicals consumed. It's a shame. A *real* shame.

It's not just him, it's an entire generation of players....make that plural - generations, and it's sad as hell. I just don't have the thirst for the game anymore, at any level.

At some point in time I'll watch the EPL or somesuch in the Fall instead of football. Seems like every week another name from the past has memory loss or can't function at the age of 50. No excuse for this. None. These are human beings, some we grew up with.

cj's dad
10-10-2012, 12:34 PM
He's not dead yet.

He is now- announced about 30 minutes ago.

RIP Alex

DJofSD
10-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Blazing Saddles excerpts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28khv-BydeY

NJ Stinks
10-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Interesting article on the life of Mr. Karras:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/10/10/3043900/alex-karras-actor-who-also-starred.html

JustRalph
10-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Alex Karras was runner up for the Heisman

Incredible! Didn't know that........