New England 96
4. Atlanta 95
Baltimore 95
6. NY Giants 94.5
7. Chicago 94
8. Pittsburgh 93
9. Green Bay 92
10. Seattle 91.5

I have no problem w these...to nitpic, I would still have Eagles at the bottom due to their tough sched and have to put Vikings down there the way they are playing. Removing GB and Seattle.

cj's dad
10-09-2012, 08:29 AM
I think the ravens are too high. Cleveland was one dropped pass from going ahead late in the game and KC's Jamaal Charles shredded the run defense. KC's Matt Cassell self destructed.

Valuist
10-09-2012, 08:39 AM
I have no problem w these...to nitpic, I would still have Eagles at the bottom due to their tough sched and have to put Vikings down there the way they are playing. Removing GB and Seattle.

I saw on Twitter that RJ Bell says the LV books' consensus power rating has Green Bay 5th!

Valuist
10-09-2012, 10:23 AM
I think the ravens are too high. Cleveland was one dropped pass from going ahead late in the game and KC's Jamaal Charles shredded the run defense. KC's Matt Cassell self destructed.

I think you are being hard on your team. I agree a bit more on the Cleveland game. As for the game vs KC, the toughest games of all to win are non-divisional road games. Yes, Charles ran wild in the first half but I think he only had about 20 yards in the 2nd half. Flacco played lousy and the run D was bad but you still get a win. On the road. Good teams find ways to win when they aren't at their best.

cj's dad
10-09-2012, 11:04 AM
I think you are being hard on your team. I agree a bit more on the Cleveland game. As for the game vs KC, the toughest games of all to win are non-divisional road games. Yes, Charles ran wild in the first half but I think he only had about 20 yards in the 2nd half. Flacco played lousy and the run D was bad but you still get a win. On the road. Good teams find ways to win when they aren't at their best.

I know, a win i a win is a win; especially on the road. Re: KC, Charles had 88 yards in the 1st qtr. and ended I believe with 140, net 52 for the last 3 qtrs.

The Ravens have two new LB's since Jarrett Johnson went the FA route and Suggs is injured.

But, after further thought, any time you hold a team to 6, Your D did it's job.

NJ Stinks
10-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Arizona definitely belongs on the list IMO.

Who beat a better group of teams than NE, Philly, Seattle, and Miami so far?

Robert Fischer
10-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Don't want to get too excited, but Texans are right on the fringe of being a Super Bowl type of franchise.

elite coaching

solid QB who is getting really good at throwing it away when his progressions aren't there.

both sides of the ball can be over-powering in the trenches.

big loss with Cushing, but could actually develop depth and balance if they have the players to step in.

Valuist
10-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Arizona definitely belongs on the list IMO.

Who beat a better group of teams than NE, Philly, Seattle, and Miami so far?

They are close. The 10th spot was between Seattle, Philly and Arizona.

Valuist
10-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Don't want to get too excited, but Texans are right on the fringe of being a Super Bowl type of franchise.

elite coaching

solid QB who is getting really good at throwing it away when his progressions aren't there.

both sides of the ball can be over-powering in the trenches.

big loss with Cushing, but could actually develop depth and balance if they have the players to step in.

Saw a couple disturbing things about Houston's D. Yes, Watt is good but they look a bit undisciplined against screens and draws and their corners are very vulnerable. Tebow threw a long pass right on the money that was dropped, Cromartie had Joseph solidly beat but the throw was a bit off. If the Jets had any receivers, the outcome might've been different.

Robert Fischer
10-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Saw a couple disturbing things about Houston's D. Yes, Watt is good but they look a bit undisciplined against screens and draws and their corners are very vulnerable. Tebow threw a long pass right on the money that was dropped, Cromartie had Joseph solidly beat but the throw was a bit off. If the Jets had any receivers, the outcome might've been different.

Good analysis.

Green Bay is next. Sunday Night Football.

Marshall Bennett
10-09-2012, 03:38 PM
I've said before, you could go back through a week and find plays that cost teams games. You can go through a season and find dozens that would have reshaped the ending. The Texan's corners aren't the best, but you could go through the league and find the same with every single team at one position or another.
I'm somewhat biased being from Houston, but in all honesty I've been far more critical of the team than not over the years. I really think they finally have it together and until they get beat they'll be at the top of my list, with the unbeaten Falcons in 2nd. I could never, just as in college, have a team with a loss ahead of 2 undefeated teams 5 games into the season.
Normally I agree with most of your rankings, just can't at the top.

Valuist
10-09-2012, 04:14 PM
I've said before, you could go back through a week and find plays that cost teams games. You can go through a season and find dozens that would have reshaped the ending. The Texan's corners aren't the best, but you could go through the league and find the same with every single team at one position or another.
I'm somewhat biased being from Houston, but in all honesty I've been far more critical of the team than not over the years. I really think they finally have it together and until they get beat they'll be at the top of my list, with the unbeaten Falcons in 2nd. I could never, just as in college, have a team with a loss ahead of 2 undefeated teams 5 games into the season.
Normally I agree with most of your rankings, just can't at the top.

I pay very little attention to win/loss records. The public obsesses over them, and sometimes they reflect the team's ability; sometimes they don't. I try to look at the overall performance. Atlanta is a good team but no more than that. They looked good against the AFC West but I'm not sold on those teams and they've also faced Carolina and Washington. Their defense is primarily based on forcing turnovers. Their coverage and tackling are going to cause problems for them, at some point. I have them slightly above the Giants and Chicago and I'm not sure they are better than either of those teams.

Houston is very good. Just heard Cushing has a torn ACL so he is done for the season.

Valuist
10-15-2012, 10:24 AM
The NFL goes thru periods of parity and non-parity. We are obviously back in a period of parity. San Francisco has now laid two eggs in 4 weeks. That is not the mark of the top team. Houston didn't show up at all. I'm still not sold on Atlanta. In their last two home games, they were life and death to beat the Raiders and Panthers. If those were road games, the small margins could be forgiven.

New England has now lost 3 games; one point road losses at Seattle and Baltimore, and a 2 pt loss to Arizona. The Giants showed up big time; we know their offense is strong. When their D shows up they are an elite team. Chicago also has to be considered a top 5 team. Their only loss was a road loss at Green Bay, who on their best day, is as good as anyone. I think many felt GB shouldn't have been in the top 10 but they proved it was justified.

The order within the top 10 would change but I don't think there would be much change in terms of new teams going in. A win tonight and Denver could crack the top 10. Pittsburgh would be the team to fall out.

Robert Fischer
10-15-2012, 10:47 AM
The NFL goes thru periods of parity and non-parity. We are obviously back in a period of parity. San Francisco has now laid two eggs in 4 weeks. That is not the mark of the top team. Houston didn't show up at all. I'm still not sold on Atlanta. In their last two home games, they were life and death to beat the Raiders and Panthers. If those were road games, the small margins could be forgiven.

New England has now lost 3 games; one point road losses at Seattle and Baltimore, and a 2 pt loss to Arizona. The Giants showed up big time; we know their offense is strong. When their D shows up they are an elite team. Chicago also has to be considered a top 5 team. Their only loss was a road loss at Green Bay, who on their best day, is as good as anyone. I think many felt GB shouldn't have been in the top 10 but they proved it was justified.

The order within the top 10 would change but I don't think there would be much change in terms of new teams going in. A win tonight and Denver could crack the top 10. Pittsburgh would be the team to fall out.

Green bay is still the team to beat. The NFL is a passing game, and they have the best Quarterback and coaching. With them it's a matter of motivation early, and then deep into the playoffs not letting defense get more of a foothold in games.

The Giants are right there and they are proven, and they can do all the needed things. They rely on Eli and the D-Line to actually make plays however, rather than just flourishing in a dream environment like the Packers.
Ravens are not far.

These are really the only two top class teams.

49ers are barely ahead of Houston.

Texans are right on the fringe. They haven't gone through the process yet. Right now they are a team that can pour it on when things are going right, but they need to win and prove themselves and gain that experience. They also need to experience getting punched in the mouth and reversing the momentum. Can the coaching make adjustments to coverage as well as they manage games ?

Entering this week Houston were a ridiculous 7-2 odds for the Superbowl. They haven't even made it into that class yet.

Atlanta is near Houston's ability, and has a better passing game at times. New England is in this level but has some things to like in spite of the great coaching trying to prove they can do more with less talent.

It's fun to set power rankings based on the early games, but everyone looks like champs when they are 4-0, 5-0... The same teams are still the best unless something significant reduced their strength.

Robert Goren
10-15-2012, 10:49 AM
I know their record is 3-3, but the Packers is team that is the team I would pick against anybody out side of the state of Alabama.

Robert Fischer
10-15-2012, 10:57 AM
I know their record is 3-3, but the Packers is team that is the team I would pick against anybody out side of the state of Alabama.

you never want to jump with the latest fad, but GB has been the team to beat for a few years now.

It all depends how the playoffs go.

Valuist
10-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Green bay is still the team to beat. The NFL is a passing game, and they have the best Quarterback and coaching. With them it's a matter of motivation early, and then deep into the playoffs not letting defense get more of a foothold in games.

The Giants are right there and they are proven, and they can do all the needed things. They rely on Eli and the D-Line to actually make plays however, rather than just flourishing in a dream environment like the Packers.
Ravens are not far.

These are really the only two top class teams.

49ers are barely ahead of Houston.

Texans are right on the fringe. They haven't gone through the process yet. Right now they are a team that can pour it on when things are going right, but they need to win and prove themselves and gain that experience. They also need to experience getting punched in the mouth and reversing the momentum. Can the coaching make adjustments to coverage as well as they manage games ?

Entering this week Houston were a ridiculous 7-2 odds for the Superbowl. They haven't even made it into that class yet.

Atlanta is near Houston's ability, and has a better passing game at times. New England is in this level but has some things to like in spite of the great coaching trying to prove they can do more with less talent.

It's fun to set power rankings based on the early games, but everyone looks like champs when they are 4-0, 5-0... The same teams are still the best unless something significant reduced their strength.

I wouldn't write off the Texans yet. IMO they really only have one weakness: their coverage. It can be masked by their pass rush. But Houston, IMO, is clearly better than Atlanta. Atlanta's passing game is slightly better but Houston's running game is far better than Atlanta. When you are playing with a lead you have to be able to run the ball to burn the clock. Defensively, Houston is much better. Atlanta's D is all about forcing turnovers. If they don't force them, they are in trouble.

If we gave individual single game power ratings, like speed figures for horses, I agree that GB would have two of the top figs. But they are inconsistent. This team lost to a bad Colts team, and nearly got beat by what I feel is a weak Saints team.

Valuist
10-15-2012, 11:25 AM
you never want to jump with the latest fad, but GB has been the team to beat for a few years now.

It all depends how the playoffs go.

The biggest key in playoffs is balance. No big weakness. Green Bay can't run the ball. That will be a problem in the post season.

Marshall Bennett
10-15-2012, 12:20 PM
I was afraid of what might happen to Houston yesterday after the way they played that 2nd half against the Jets the week before. It was like they weren't the same team.
Whatever is wrong they need to repair it soon because they looked horrible.
Local media here probably isn't helping. They've practically got them in the Super Bowl already. May be a case of the "big heads".

Valuist
10-15-2012, 01:08 PM
I was afraid of what might happen to Houston yesterday after the way they played that 2nd half against the Jets the week before. It was like they weren't the same team.
Local media here probably isn't helping. They've practically got them in the Super Bowl already. May be a case of the "big heads".

Something is going to give because they host the Ravens next week and they've given up over 200 rush yards in each of the last 2 games. I think Foster will have a big game and they will right the ship.

Bettowin
10-15-2012, 03:59 PM

A matter of motivation. For Green Bay this was a must win game or the season might as well be gone and Rodgers was taking heat for his play. Houston on the other hand, could afford the loss and move on. Not saying they didn't care but in the NFL it's a matter of who is motivated the most.