PDA

View Full Version : Braves-Cards game under protest

ElKabong
10-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Bravos get jobbed by the LF ump, a poor infield fly rule call. Bases would have been loaded in the 8th, down 6-3 with one out...instead the 2nd out is issued....cards get out of the inning

Really poor call, even worse on replay

Zippy Chippy
10-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Haven't seen it yet. Has anything ever been reversed under protest? I don't understand the point.

andtheyreoff
10-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Haven't seen it yet. Has anything ever been reversed under protest? I don't understand the point.

It doesn't matter because there will be no way this call will be reversed.

Granted, the Braves blew a million chances and they should've won, but that call was a disgrace. I mean, really? The infield fly rule?

Here's a replay, BTW: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_10_05_slnmlb_atlmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=stl#gid=2012_10_05_slnmlb_atlmlb_1&mode=video

Edit to add: the fan's reaction was disgraceful, too. Throwing stuff on the field is a no-win situation and just makes you look stupid and classless.

lsbets
10-05-2012, 09:03 PM
This is the first time I ever saw the outfield fly rule called.

iwearpurple
10-05-2012, 09:42 PM
I have never known a protest to go through, either in professional or amateur baseball.

But if there was ever a chance for one to go through, this is it. I believe that MLB is going to take a hard look at it.

dartman51
10-05-2012, 11:07 PM
It was a questionable call, but the BRAVES literally THREW that game away. The best defensive team in the majors, and they were throwing the ball around like a little league team. :ThmbUp:

Pace Cap'n
10-05-2012, 11:19 PM
The only way for a successful protest is when there is a mis-application of the rules. No judgement call will ever be overturned.

That call was one of the worst calls of all time.

Dave Schwartz
10-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Sorry, but that was a good call.

Perhaps not the RIGHT call but a good one.

Permit me to explain...

First, the INTERPRETATION of an infield fly is any fly ball that can reasonably be expected to be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort (obviously subject to the conditions of runners on 1st & 2nd with less than 2 outs).

The issue is that the umpire watches the fielders to determine if the play is going to be "normal" for an infielder.

Watching the video, it appears that the infielder was camped under the ball. I based this judgement upon his body language more than anything else.

Just my opinion, but I would be really surprised if this protest is even permitted because it is a judgement call by the umpire whether or not it was a "normal" fly ball for an infielder. Judgement calls are not protestable.

I would say that the play SHOULD HAVE BEEN normal, if one of the outfielders had not called the infielder off, therefore it was a good call.

Consider how many double plays would happen from short left field if it weren't for this rule on plays very similar (in depth) to this one.

Dave Schwartz

PS:

I have never known a protest to go through, either in professional or amateur baseball.

Protests are upheld at all levels. The most famous of all time perhaps was the George Brett-Billy Martin-Pine Tar incident.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Tar_Incident

PhantomOnTour
10-06-2012, 12:05 AM
I think this is why most of the rest of the world watches soccer.
All soccer rules can fit in a paragraph or two.

The rules of baseball and American football can be mind boggling at times.
Heck, basketball too...wtf is an illegal defense?

Stillriledup
10-06-2012, 12:21 AM
I think that since the rule is 'open to interpretation' and its a judgment call, the main thing you have to ask yourself is this. If the player drops the ball on purpose, is it reasonable to expect that he can turn a play that would result in more than one out? The spirit of the infield fly rule is that a player can drop a ball on purpose and get 2 outs, was it really possible for him to get 2 outs had he let it fall in front of him?

There's zero chance the Cards were going to be able to get TWO outs on that play just because the ball was so far from the bases. The spirit of the rule is to avoid a situation where the fielder can let it drop and get 2 outs instead of the normal one out.

one more thing, since the Cards had a 3 run lead, getting 1 out there is the right play, you dont fool around and let the ball drop on purpose with a 3 run lead.

If this happened to my team, i would be livid, let the players on the field determine the outcome.

Zippy Chippy
10-06-2012, 08:20 AM
If you actually read the rule and watch the play again, the call wasnt as bad I it seems.

horses4courses
10-06-2012, 08:27 AM
The Braves still would have lost.

Robert Fischer
10-06-2012, 11:01 AM
;) Turner Field infield dimensions ;)

http://i.imgur.com/O4yEq.jpg