PDA

View Full Version : John Velazquez Saturday mounts

tholl
10-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Interesting to me that JV passes riding Hungry Island/Tizracer/Wise Dan at Keeneland in favor of Dreaming of Julia/Archwarrior/Howe Great at Belmont.

Striker
10-04-2012, 01:35 PM
He was committed to ride the horses at Belmont before the connections decided to run Wise Dan in the Shadwell.

Cholly
10-04-2012, 02:51 PM
He was committed to ride the horses at Belmont before the connections decided to run Wise Dan in the Shadwell.

Not sure if you're speaking from knowledge or speculation, but in either case you could easily be right. But my guess is the decision results from the fact neither Wise Dan or Treasure Island will be running in next year's KY Derby. Tizracer might, but until Archwarrior shows his ability doesn't match up to his appearance, JV and agent unlikely to willingly let another jockey near him.

Striker
10-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Not sure if you're speaking from knowledge or speculation, but in either case you could easily be right. But my guess is the decision results from the fact neither Wise Dan or Treasure Island will be running in next year's KY Derby. Tizracer might, but until Archwarrior shows his ability doesn't match up to his appearance, JV and agent unlikely to willingly let another jockey near him.
Info is straight from the DRF. My guess is wherever Wise Dan goes JV will go, if they had made this choice earlier, JV would be there riding Wise Dan. The KD is so far off JV will have plenty of chances to secure mounts. If JV misses one of Archwarrior's races Pletcher could do the same thing Lopresti is doing and just put a different jock on him for that race and then JV would be back on. Just like Lezcano is doing on Wise Dan this weekend, no matter what the outcome is, JV will still be on him for the BC.

Cholly
10-05-2012, 12:52 AM
If Wise Dan goes in the BC Mile, he's likely looking for another rider. Can't see JV giving up the mount on Animal Kingdom.

burnsy
10-05-2012, 01:16 AM
If Wise Dan goes in the BC Mile, he's likely looking for another rider. Can't see JV giving up the mount on Animal Kingdom.
I don't know about that....that would hurt IMO. He probably is not happy about saturday either. this horse (wise dan) is a legit horse of the year player..in fact if he wins two more he will be easily. I'm glad animal kingdom is back but winning off the bench, after an injury...against this horse?..good luck. Plus, his last race was not that good. Yeah, he got hurt but he was beating monument hill and bell by the ridge. so this horse has not run a good race since the preakness......2011. Yeah, hes just jumpimg at the chance to ride animal kingdom over wise dan.....i don't see that at all. i know i don't really want to bet on it...put it that way. it doesn't go by last years derby or the one he may ride in next year....if half of those horses even make it till may......wise dan is the best horse around.....right now.

SharpCat
10-05-2012, 04:02 AM
Wise Dan is the best horse around right now. That is very debatable. As far as older horses it's either Game on Dude or Wise Dan. Assuming Wise Dan wins this weekend at Keenland this debate can be settled as it should be on the racetrack in the Classic.

Cholly
10-05-2012, 05:10 AM
The pinnacle of JV's career came aboard Animal Kingdom...and Barry Irwin went out on a limb to get him there. Wise Dan may be the more likely winner, but that would just be a fat check and forgotten in a week. Winning a BC race on a Derby winner would be making history; tough call...

Valuist
10-05-2012, 11:38 AM

Wise Dan would destroy Animal Kingdom at a mile on any surface.

Striker
10-05-2012, 12:40 PM
The pinnacle of JV's career came aboard Animal Kingdom...and Barry Irwin went out on a limb to get him there. Wise Dan may be the more likely winner, but that would just be a fat check and forgotten in a week. Winning a BC race on a Derby winner would be making history; tough call...
Agree that winning the KD is the highlight of any career for a jock but that would be a huge mistake by Cordero and JV if they were to ride AK instead of Wise Dan.

Robert Fischer
10-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Plus, his last race was not that good. Yeah, he got hurt but he was beating monument hill and bell by the ridge. so this horse has not run a good race since the preakness......2011.

I know what you mean in terms of class that the allowance race wasn't a "good" race. The effort itself was pretty sharp. He did everything right and rather than sit a trip, he kind of stayed wide and moved too soon. The race did unfold to his favor, but he was clearly in another class than Monument Hill who was in good form and had a better trip and well-timed move. He couldn't have run much faster unless he was in top shape and moved extremely premature.

These horses like Animal Kingdom are longshots to return to form and usually get over-bet by fans anyway, so it's probably better to be skeptical. You pretty much have to watch the Gulfstream Allowance win on mute, or Larry Collmus will have you pumped up about Animal Kingdom. :jump:

Cholly
10-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Da Hoss

MickJ26
10-05-2012, 09:19 PM
I don't think he wants to let Dominguez or Castellano get their foot in the door with Archwarrior. By Arch out of a Seeking the Gold mare, there shouldn't be any distance limitations with this guy. Assuming he stays healthy, no guarantees with Pletcher, this is most likely Johnny V's Derby horse. I know, it's only October.

burnsy
10-06-2012, 08:25 PM
I don't think he wants to let Dominguez or Castellano get their foot in the door with Archwarrior. By Arch out of a Seeking the Gold mare, there shouldn't be any distance limitations with this guy. Assuming he stays healthy, no guarantees with Pletcher, this is most likely Johnny V's Derby horse. I know, it's only October.
that was less believable than animal kingdom......the horse did not look good here ...breaking maiden...looked worse today stretching out. yeah, johnnys real happy about how today went.......archwarrior over wise dan......like i said before...yeah right...lol. the reality is rosie is not letting any of them near shangai bobby..thats the real story minus the hype (BS)..he looked the part, gate to wire....johnny was pumping away half way around the turn. when will people learn about tips and hype? put blinkers on and ignore that garbage, at least until the horse wins one for crying out loud! pletchers best 2yo is shanghai bobby....johnny v got screwed due to the late entry of wise dan. wise dan circled the field and laughed...good luck animal kingdom...lol...lol...maybe wise dan will enter the classic and give you a chance.....

MickJ26
10-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20. Archwarrior is bred to run all day. It was only his second start. Pletcher will probably run him back in the Nashua and/or the
Remsen before sending him down to Gulfstream. I do agree that his best two year old right now is Shanghai Bobby.

burnsy
10-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Hindsight is always 20/20. Archwarrior is bred to run all day. It was only his second start. Pletcher will probably run him back in the Nashua and/or the
Remsen before sending him down to Gulfstream. I do agree that his best two year old right now is Shanghai Bobby.

how is it hindsight when i said it when this thread started?....days ago.... wise dan is one of the top horses around.........period....thats what i said. no jockey or agent will get off a horse like this in october......UNLESS THEY HAVE TO.........thats not hindsight. its called common sense.