PDA

View Full Version : Some Aqueduct deaths could have been avoided

RXB
09-28-2012, 03:45 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/some-aqueduct-deaths-could-have-been-avoided-report-says

cj
09-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Crist take:

http://www.drf.com/news/crist-even-handed-aqueduct-breakdown-report-disappoints-chicken-littles

VeryOldMan
09-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Here's a link to the underlying report:

http://www.governor.ny.gov/assets/documents/Report.pdf

Reading the horse-by-horse account of each fatality is very depressing but gives insight into training practices. Was looking up the trainers of each of the ones indicating a missed opportunity - Coronado Heights had a very aggressive medication program and his trainer indicated it was standard practice for his barn. Todd Pletcher, as it turns out. The report is very even-handed in approach, but it ends up being a pretty damning indictment of just how (legally) drugged these horses are.

cj
09-28-2012, 06:10 PM
There is too much racing, which has caused a shortage of good horsemen around the country. Training via a needle is no way to train.

RXB
09-28-2012, 07:11 PM
The full report refers to a conference presentation last year on risk factors for racing fatalities. Horses that fit into all three of these categories:

1) intact male;
2) 3YO+;
3) didn't race as a 2YO

have been 40 times more likely to suffer a fatal lower limb injury than horses that don't fit into any of those categories (i.e., 2YO geldings/fillies). :eek:

Sprints and claiming prices of $25,000 or less have also been associated with higher fatal injury risks. Same with laid-off horses and their counterparts, the frequently raced horses.

VeryOldMan
09-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Training via a needle is no way to train.

Amen. To continue the example of Coronado Heights, I've extracted the medication information and a hint as to the horse's condition - this was a 4 year old gelding who perished in his third start, having first reached the track as a 4 year old. This is my numbering:

1. The trainer [Todd Pletcher] reported that the pre-race medication program for this horse was standard practice for all of the horses in his stable.
2. His stifles received an IA injection of hyaluronic acid and Depo-‐Medrol® five days before the race.
3. This horse was routinely treated pre-race with two NSAIDs, as well as Legend® and Adequan®10. These latter two therapeutic medications are commonly used to protect the joints of horses. The concurrent administration of NSAIDs is controversial because of potentially harmful side effects.
4. Pre-race examination findings indicated a subtle gait abnormality noted consistently over time.

I may not be completely objective having seen a friend's horse break down and later seeing the vet bills that showed just how unscrupulous the trainer and vet had been, but isn't the sport better served in the long run by getting rid of the drugs and breeding for soundness? Maybe the industry is properly following the Keynes' quip - in the long run we'll all be dead - but it is depressing to this horseplayer.