PDA

View Full Version : Seabiscuit - An American Legend

Druther
04-13-2001, 12:30 PM
Some excerpts from the book’s preface:

“In 1938, near the end of a decade of monumental turmoil, the year’s number-one newsmaker was not Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Hitler or Mussolini. It wasn’t Pope Pius XI, nor was it Lou Gehrig, Howard Hughes, or Clark Gable. The subject of the most newspaper column inches in 1938 wasn’t even a person. It was an undersized, crooked-legged racehorse named Seabiscuit.

His appearances smashed attendance records at nearly every major track and drew two of the three largest throngs ever to see a horse race in the United States. In an era when the United States’ population was less than half its current size, seventy-eight thousand people witnessed his last race, a crowd comparable to those at today’s Super Bowls. As many as forty thousand fans mobbed tracks just to watch his workouts.

From 1936 to 1940, Seabiscuit endured a remarkable run of bad fortune, conspiracy, and injury to establish himself as one of history’s most extraordinary athletes. Graced with blistering speed, tactical versatility, and indomitable will, he shipped more than fifty thousand exhausting railroad miles, carried staggering weight to victory against the best horses in the country and shattered more than a dozen track records.”

Laura Hillenbrand is a writer with grace. From beginning to end she captivates your attention. A remarkably well-written biography that any racing fan will thoroughly enjoy.

Two thumbs up on this one.

kingmambo
04-13-2001, 01:59 PM
I started reading 'SEABISCUIT' this week and
was amazed to discover it was #1 on the NY TIMES
best seller list.can a dead horse do what the NTRA,
NYRA and MAGNA haven't been able to do?revive
a once dignified and exciting sport......maybe.

i hear it's already been sold as a movie.
.for those of us who love racing{and not just the gambling-don't get me wrong,i love to hit a tri as well as the next player}
this may be the rebirth we've been waiting for.

witchdoctor
04-13-2001, 04:03 PM
I agree that the book on Seabiscut is one of the best I have read in a long time. The picture of Seabiscut and War Admiral in their match race going head to head down the backstretch with 70000 people cheering them on is worth the cost of the book.

Observer
04-17-2001, 01:59 PM
I heard Laura Hillenbrand on the radio today in an interview regarding Seabiscuit, and she had some tremendous stories. This book is definitely a "must read." Hopefully I can get to it soon!