PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Ryder Cup

horses4courses
09-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Great weekend of golf in store at Medinah.
Here are tomorrow's opening foursomes (times listed are ET):

0820 Jim Furyk and Brandt Snedeker v Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell

0835 Phil Mickelson and Keegan Bradley v Luke Donald and Sergio Garcia

0850 Zach Johnson and Jason Dufner v Lee Westwood and Francesco Molinari

0905 Steve Stricker and Tiger Woods v Ian Poulter and Justin Rose

This contest should go down to the wire on Sunday....Go USA!!!

DJofSD
09-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Sergio and Poults will get their team fired up, and probably the crowd too. I'm not sure who'll be the spark plug for the USA, maybe Jason (that's a joke, son, a joke.) GMac will be right there in the mix too. Let's see how many holes it takes before we see his fist raised towards the sky.

Best o' luck to Brandt. Rookie, first USA team to play and could very well be the first US player to tee off. Not sure if he'd actually be the very first play to swing. It's got to be tough.

Pulling for JF to score some points this time.

It will be very interesting to see how the "new" Tiger performs as a veteran and if he can really truly motivate and inspire his team mates to greater highths.

I expect fireworks during the afternoon rounds.

Striker
09-27-2012, 11:56 PM
I was lucky enough to take in the practice round on wednesday. The course looks tremendous and the crowd will certainly be electric.

NJ Stinks
09-28-2012, 02:37 AM
Wlliam Hill is offering on the Outright Winner:

USA 4/6

Europe 6/4

Tie 10/1

rastajenk
09-28-2012, 08:24 AM
I like the Furyk/Snedeker team. One steps up, stands back, rethinks, steps up again....the other steps up and fires at it. A contrast in style, to say the least. :)

I'd like to see a 3- or 4-man scramble added to the lineup of formats. That could be pretty wild. :D

DJofSD
09-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Left and left to start. Sned got his on the green, GMAC in the rough between the green and the right side bunker.

DJofSD
09-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Damn, Tiger. Snap hook. Really?

Is Poults going to get to you today?

rastajenk
09-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Didn't do Strix any favors for his first shot of the Cup, did he? :D

DJofSD
09-28-2012, 09:47 AM
No, he didn't but what a recovery!

Bettowin
09-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Took Europe to win +140.

Beachbabe
09-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Westwood & Kaymer should have stayed home.

As far as the American side, everyone's playing pretty good; although Stricker hasn't done much.

Colsaerts has been a very pleasant surprise for the Europeans.

Relwob Owner
09-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Westwood & Kaymer should have stayed home.

As far as the American side, everyone's playing pretty good; although Stricker hasn't done much.

Colsaerts has been a very pleasant surprise for the Europeans.

Tiger has been awful with his driver and it will be interesting to see if Love sits him Saturday. Nice to see Trevino speak the truth and suggest he should.

cj
09-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Tiger has been awful with his driver and it will be interesting to see if Love sits him Saturday. Nice to see Trevino speak the truth and suggest he should.

Despite losing, he stepped it up down the stretch. Was Stricker even playing?

Relwob Owner
09-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Despite losing, he stepped it up down the stretch. Was Stricker even playing?

Stricker was absolutely awful. I guess in a relative sense stepped it up down the stretch compared with his play in the morning and first portion of the afternoon match but it took him forever to do it. I have no confidence in Woods. Today, I believe he equaled the record of most foursomes match losses and has been on one Ryder Cup winning team in 6 appearances.....I say sit him

Tee
09-28-2012, 09:30 PM
MEDINAH, Ill. – For the first time in his Ryder Cup career, Tiger Woods will sit out a session Saturday morning at Medinah.

Woods was benched after going 0-2 with partner Steve Stricker on Day 1.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/saturday-morning-foursomes-pairings-announced/

Striker
09-29-2012, 12:54 AM
MEDINAH, Ill. – For the first time in his Ryder Cup career, Tiger Woods will sit out a session Saturday morning at Medinah.

Woods was benched after going 0-2 with partner Steve Stricker on Day 1.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/saturday-morning-foursomes-pairings-announced/
Smart move Captain Love.

cj
09-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Smart move Captain Love.

He should have left him there in the afternoon.

Relwob Owner
09-29-2012, 05:54 PM
He should have left him there in the afternoon.

Looks like Tiger has come out of his slumber............

cj
09-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Looks like Tiger has come out of his slumber............

Yes, he is playing well now. Once Stricker finally did something with an eagle I think it woke him up.

rastajenk
09-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Poulter is Possessed! :eek:

cj
09-29-2012, 07:50 PM
5 birds on the trot to finish, and needed every one of them!

DJofSD
09-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Sunday's pairings (ET):

12:03 p.m. : Bubba Watson vs. Luke Donald

12:14 : Webb Simpson vs. Ian Poulter

12:25 : Keegan Bradley vs. Rory McIlroy

12:36 : Phil Mickelson vs. Justin Rose

12:47 : Brandt Snedeker vs. Paul Lawrie

12:58 : Dustin Johnson vs. Nicolas Colsaerts

1:09 : Zach Johnson vs. Graeme McDowell

1:20 : Jim Furyk vs. Sergio Garcia

1:31 : Jason Dufner vs. Peter Hanson

1:42 : Matt Kuchar vs. Lee Westwood

1:53 : Steve Stricker vs. Martin Kaymer

2:04 : Tiger Woods vs. Francesco Molinari

DJofSD
09-30-2012, 11:31 AM
http://www.mobypicture.com/user/Graeme_McDowell/view/13907274

Relwob Owner
09-30-2012, 04:44 PM
I have never seen someone smile so much after losing than Mickelson has so far

cj
09-30-2012, 04:46 PM

What else can he do now? The guy beat him with birdies. There is a quite a bit of choking going on, but I don't think Mickelson is in that boat.

Relwob Owner
09-30-2012, 04:52 PM
What else can he do now? The guy beat him with birdies. There is a quite a bit of choking going on, but I don't think Mickelson is in that boat.

Where did I say he choked?

Relwob Owner
09-30-2012, 05:09 PM

You bring choking up and while I didn't mention it in my first post, I will say that Mickelson's second shot on 18 could be classified as a choke and it took a huge amount of pressure off of Rose.

horses4courses
09-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Furyk/Garcia match is huge.....Furyk just needs a tie

horses4courses
09-30-2012, 05:33 PM
It's all down to Tiger ....no US match can be lost now

RXB
09-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Furyk missed the par putt on 18 and loses. Europe leads 13-12. Wow. Dufner one-shot lead going to 18, the other two all-square. Tremendously exciting.

RXB
09-30-2012, 05:46 PM
13-13. Two all-squares still out there.

bigmack
09-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Johnny Miller stamps it the Colossal Collapse in Chicago.

Sums it up nicely.

DJofSD
09-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Mind-body connection or PMA -- positive mental attitude.

horses4courses
09-30-2012, 11:35 PM
The Ryder Cup arouses patriotic spirit for all involved.
It's inspiring to watch a competition where, apart from an appearance fee and the prestige of being a team member, money is not the most important prize.

For the past week, all the players have lived and breathed team golf.
After today, though, it's back to business as usual.
That means (for pretty much all of them) making millions each year.
While the pride of the losers is damaged, their bank accounts are just fine.

Roll on the next Ryder Cup in 2014.
It's at Gleneagles in Scotland, and there's no reason the US can't win it back.

Relwob Owner
09-30-2012, 11:57 PM
Mind-body connection or PMA -- positive mental attitude.

I am familiar with the concept but it didn't work so well......

I think after this week, you can look at Ian Poulter and ask what he would do in situations and emulate that to find success. In the heat of a match, I can't see him pointing to another player and giving him a thumbs up after that player made a long putt to beat him on a hole. I think Poulter would have put his head down and focused all of his energy on beating his opponent on the next hole. I also don't think that he would be smiling after losing when he was one up with two to play and couldn't hit the green on the last hole from the fairway.

I am all for sportsmanship but I just found Mickelson's attitude a bit strange. I think at that point during and after the match, his attitude may have reflected the whole team's in terms of being a bit too happy and maybe over confident at the time with their lead.

All that being said, what a great week of golf and competition.

DJofSD
10-01-2012, 01:38 PM
I am all for sportsmanship but I just found Mickelson's attitude a bit strange. I think at that point during and after the match, his attitude may have reflected the whole team's in terms of being a bit too happy and maybe over confident at the time with their lead.

I believe Lefties smirk/smile was there because he is a winner. He is able to do what a lot of golfers can not do: not get so wrapped up or invested in the moment.

Have you ever listened to him or Tiger during a post round/competition news conference? It is almost impossible to get them to say anything negative. That is not to say they will not discuss a bad shot or result. During play a bad shot or result is over and done and it does no one any good to carry it forward during the next swing of the club.

Holding onto bad strokes and walking around dejected, with a frown on your face, shoulders slumped, copping a bad 'tude is what losers do. It's no different than driving by using your rear view mirror: you have a great idea about what is behind you but it does not help you to get where you want to go.

Relwob Owner
10-01-2012, 02:34 PM
I believe Lefties smirk/smile was there because he is a winner. He is able to do what a lot of golfers can not do: not get so wrapped up or invested in the moment.

Have you ever listened to him or Tiger during a post round/competition news conference? It is almost impossible to get them to say anything negative. That is not to say they will not discuss a bad shot or result. During play a bad shot or result is over and done and it does no one any good to carry it forward during the next swing of the club.

Holding onto bad strokes and walking around dejected, with a frown on your face, shoulders slumped, copping a bad 'tude is what losers do. It's no different than driving by using your rear view mirror: you have a great idea about what is behind you but it does not help you to get where you want to go.

I guess we will agree to disagree....overall, Phil is a winner but he has blown enough chances in his career that I think it is fair to question his overall demeanor, especially yesterday....that positive, onto the next swing attitude definitely failed when he couldn't hit the green on 18 yesterday and has failed down the stretch in majors as well.

I have listened to plenty of press conferences with Phil and Tiger. You are on target with Phil, as he doesn't say much negative. Tiger doesn't say much at all at times but is usually pretty candid when he plays poorly and definitely says negative things about his own game.

I am not suggesting to walk around with a frown or "cop a bad tude like losers do"....I am just saying don't look, appear and act friendly to a point where it gives your opponent even more momentum than they already have and the idea that the result won't affect you as much as it affects them.

Let me ask you this-how many times did you see Michael Jordan, one of the best competitors of all time, smile, except when he was kicking the crap out of another team? Rarely. When did you see Tiger(in his prime) smiling like Phil does? Rarely.

Beachbabe
10-01-2012, 03:00 PM
I think Phil was just as fired-up to win as anyone. I think the smile on his face at times when you wouldn't think there would be is just Phil being Phil.His "thumbs up" to Rose after his long birdie put on 16 was his way of acknowledging a great shot in a pressure-packed environment....but it didn't mean he was happy to get beat.
With all the physical problems befalling himself & his family, I believe Phil puts golf in a different perspective than many others. It's not life and death to him. He's made plenty of money doing something he loves and he looks at the cup "half-full" rather than "half-empty".
One thing for sure, Justin Rose was visibly impressed with Phil's attitude & "gentleman-ness", to the point where he stopped his excited celebration after winning the 18th, when he realized whom he beat and walked over to hug Phil in a genuine appreciation of his sportsmanship.

Valuist
10-01-2012, 03:33 PM
The US was a one to 50 favorite....unreal. UK books paid off at 33-1.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2211098/Ryder-Cup-2012-Tiger-Woods-sparks-fury-bookies-conceding-Europe-win.html?ITO=1490

So much for those who believe Obama can't lose at -400.

Relwob Owner
10-01-2012, 03:56 PM
I think Phil was just as fired-up to win as anyone. I think the smile on his face at times when you wouldn't think there would be is just Phil being Phil.His "thumbs up" to Rose after his long birdie put on 16 was his way of acknowledging a great shot in a pressure-packed environment....but it didn't mean he was happy to get beat.
With all the physical problems befalling himself & his family, I believe Phil puts golf in a different perspective than many others. It's not life and death to him. He's made plenty of money doing something he loves and he looks at the cup "half-full" rather than "half-empty".
One thing for sure, Justin Rose was visibly impressed with Phil's attitude & "gentleman-ness", to the point where he stopped his excited celebration after winning the 18th, when he realized whom he beat and walked over to hug Phil in a genuine appreciation of his sportsmanship.

Good points, especially regarding the family health issues.....I definitely have an opinion on it and would rather see Phil show more intensity but I can see the other side as well. I guess you can't fake your demeanor and maybe that is why Phil appears the way he does. Very nice catch in terms of Rose's reaction on 18 and how he stopped mid fist pump when he realized he was looking straight at Phil and held off....as you say, a classy move.

bigmack
10-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Hard to believe that with a silly little game like golf, people are bogged down in minutia like the facial expressions after losing.

So too, if I'm to buy into some twisted nationalist pride when 12 American players beat 12 players from Europe should I feel shame if they lose?

Better yet, as a result of this loss perhaps it's time to look long and hard at the US style of bringing up new golf talent. :rolleyes:

Lighten up. It's just a game where you put a ball in a cup.

Relwob Owner
10-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Hard to believe that with a silly little game like golf, people are bogged down in minutia like the facial expressions after losing.

So too, if I'm to buy into some twisted nationalist pride when 12 American players beat 12 players from Europe should I feel shame if they lose?

Better yet, as a result of this loss perhaps it's time to look long and hard at the US style of bringing up new golf talent. :rolleyes:

Lighten up. It's just a game where you put a ball in a cup.

Hard to even consider an opinion from someone who views golf they way that you do. If it is so silly, why even waste your time posting in a thread about it?

bigmack
10-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Hard to even consider an opinion from someone who views golf they way that you do. If it is so silly, why even waste your time posting in a thread about it?
My man, I know something of the game. The one thing I DO KNOW is that it's ridiculous to see people talking the game so serious. I see chumps from Cleveland coming to SoCal to play. They SUCK because they play 4 times/year and get seriously upset when they play poorly. How did they get this unwarranted expectation of hitting a consistently sound shot? They take the game WAY too serious.

I sit and watch as the TV networks put together montages with orchestral music talking about national pride or the UNBELIEVALBE courage someone showed to sink a 10' putt. They take the game WAY too serious.

And now here we have you, getting bent on the facial expression of Mickelson. So yeah, when push comes to shove, it's just a silly game.

Relwob Owner
10-01-2012, 05:00 PM
My man, I know something of the game. The one thing I DO KNOW is that it's ridiculous to see people talking the game so serious. I see chumps from Cleveland coming to SoCal to play. They SUCK because they play 4 times/year and get seriously upset when they play poorly. How did they get this unwarranted expectation of hitting a consistently sound shot? They take the game WAY too serious.

I sit and watch as the TV networks put together montages with orchestral music talking about national pride or the UNBELIEVALBE courage someone showed to sink a 10' putt. They take the game WAY too serious.

And now here we have you, getting bent on the facial expression of Mickelson. So yeah, when push comes to shove, it's just a silly game.

Not sure why you spent so much of your post on guys that play 4 times a year....no relation to the discussion really and comparing the reactions of guys who play 4 times to pros is a pretty useless comparison ......how guys react to certain situations is important, probably more important to people who are really interested in golf and don't see it as a "silly game".

I do agree about the montages and overdramatic media coverage....

As far as "getting bent", I offered an opinion, debated it with some people and came to see their point of view a bit better. Maybe read the thread before jumping in and that will help your posts relate to the discussion a bit better.

You never mentioned why you are wasting your time posting on such a 'silly game'. Then it made sense, as you have to get as many posts as you can in now because after election day(if you are true to your word and your promise is still out there) you won't be posting on here anymore.

bigmack
10-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Then it made sense, as you have to get as many posts as you can in now because after election day(if you are true to your word and your promise is still out there) you won't be posting on here anymore.
Jesus, what a maroon.

May this haunt you. :lol:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/GoogleImageResultforhttp---s1reutersmedianet-resources-r-3Fm3D0226d3D2010013126t3D226i3D5333494026w3D46026f h3D26fw3D26ll3D26pl3D26r3D2010-01.png

PaceAdvantage
10-01-2012, 05:35 PM
That bet is null and void, as there are no wagers allowed (money wagers or any other kind).

So if anyone stops posting, it won't be because of that stupid bet.

Talk about taking things way too seriously...sheesh... :rolleyes:

Relwob Owner
10-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Jesus, what a maroon.

May this haunt you. :lol:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/GoogleImageResultforhttp---s1reutersmedianet-resources-r-3Fm3D0226d3D2010013126t3D226i3D5333494026w3D46026f h3D26fw3D26ll3D26pl3D26r3D2010-01.png

No need for name calling BM, I was just busting your chops. For someone who dishes it out as much as you do, surprised you can't take it a little better and not resort to name calling.

FYI-I like Phil as a player and as I said earlier in the thread, think that maybe his demeanor doesn't lend itself to the reaction I would expect and maybe his personal challenges lead to that as well, which makes sense.

PaceAdvantage
10-01-2012, 05:53 PM
To be fair, he merely called you a color... :lol:

Relwob Owner
10-01-2012, 05:54 PM
That bet is null and void, as there are no wagers allowed (money wagers or any other kind).

So if anyone stops posting, it won't be because of that stupid bet.

Talk about taking things way too seriously...sheesh... :rolleyes:

Didn't realize the bet was off and was giving him a hard time. My apologies

Relwob Owner
10-01-2012, 05:55 PM
To be fair, he merely called you a color... :lol:

Good point.....I guess if had been yellow I would be really pissed! ;)

PaceAdvantage
10-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Didn't realize the bet was off and was giving him a hard time. My apologiesWell, I can't control how they act. They might think the bet is still on, and they might ban themselves or whatever...it's all just silly in my opinion.

You won't see me enforcing it though...

Relwob Owner
10-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Well, I can't control how they act. They might think the bet is still on, and they might ban themselves or whatever...it's all just silly in my opinion.

You won't see me enforcing it though...

Agreed.....again, my apologies. Shouldn't have even brought it up

bigmack
10-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Didn't realize the bet was off and was giving him a hard time. My apologies
No need for that. As far as I'm concerned the wager is intact. I was thinking it would be mo betta if he lost he wouldn't post off-top and if I lost I wouldn't post horsey side. In any event, if I lose (which I won't) I'll flake off entirely. If he loses he can still post equines for all I care.

Regarding our little dust up, here's the dealio. I LOVE the game but I find when people take it too serious it's insufferable.

Root for me to lose. 4 more BO years. :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
10-01-2012, 06:02 PM
I'd rather the bet be called off altogether so that neither of you ceases to exist on here...and if either of you hate this place that much, I'd rather you stop posting now.

Silly doesn't even begin to define this wager.

Native Texan III
10-01-2012, 06:34 PM

One thing the common man in USA is very good at is eternal self delusion.
They will flock to see Bruce Willis in Ryder Cup II - the Movie, with USA winning by a critical point after Bruce lands by attack helicopter at the last hole, guns blazing and nukes the socialist ole chanters into eternity.

bigmack
10-01-2012, 06:43 PM
One thing the common man in USA is very good at is eternal self delusion.
They will flock to see Bruce Willis in Ryder Cup II - the Movie, with USA winning by a critical point after Bruce lands by attack helicopter at the last hole, guns blazing and nukes the socialist ole chanters into eternity.
People don't realize how ma-nipple-ated they is.

I could produce a video of someone pining over a decision to order eggs benedict or a Denver omelette that would make you cry.

People watch the Ryder Cup coverage with superlatives dripping all over narratives, symphonic music bringing out nationalist pride "USA, USA," and before long you have people actually feeling "patriotic" over a duffed 4 iron.

Relwob Owner
10-01-2012, 06:48 PM
No need for that. As far as I'm concerned the wager is intact. I was thinking it would be mo betta if he lost he wouldn't post off-top and if I lost I wouldn't post horsey side. In any event, if I lose (which I won't) I'll flake off entirely. If he loses he can still post equines for all I care.

Regarding our little dust up, here's the dealio. I LOVE the game but I find when people take it too serious it's insufferable.

Root for me to lose. 4 more BO years. :ThmbUp:

When you say "he" do you mean me?

As far as our "dust up" goes, i made a comment about a guy's apparent intensity level and as usual, you butted in and ended up with name calling.

So, earlier golf was "just a silly game" and now you say you love it....which is it?

bigmack
10-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Ya got it all wrong there, SlimJim.

"He" is OBVIOUSLY the person I have a wager with.

You brought up the idiotic bet, relishing the thought of my banishment and I called you a Maroon. What's the problem, you don't like Bugs B?

Dude, I love boogie boarding but it's still silly.

Why don't I get out of your way so you can get back to fixating on Mickelson's grin.

Keep up the solid analysis. :ThmbUp:

Relwob Owner
10-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Ya got it all wrong there, SlimJim.

"He" is OBVIOUSLY the person I have a wager with.

You brought up the idiotic bet, relishing the thought of my banishment and I called you a Maroon. What's the problem, you don't like Bugs B?

Dude, I love boogie boarding but it's still silly.

Why don't I get out of your way so you can get back to fixating on Mickelson's grin.

Keep up the solid analysis. :ThmbUp:

As far as it being obvious, you referred to "he" in the first paragraph discussing your wager and in the next paragraph said "our dust up", so it stands to reason you meant me in your first paragraph, no?

As far as "relishing your banishment" that isn't the case at all. There is not a part of me that really cares if you are on here or not. To be honest, you do make things interesting on here......

Not fixated at all on Mickelson, just made a comment that was discussed back and forth with a few people that know how to debate without resorting to name calling.

Have a great night BM

NJ Stinks
10-02-2012, 04:01 PM
And now for the rest of story. :)

Namely, who was that cop who got McIlroy to the tee on time?

http://www.irishcentral.com/sport/Irish-American-cop-revealed-as-Rory-McIlroys-Ryder-Cup-saviour-172256771.html

DJofSD
10-02-2012, 08:40 PM
http://social.rorymcilroy.com/photos

DJofSD
10-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Yep, Seve was there.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/8457106/seve-ballesteros-presence-felt-ryder-cup

rastajenk
10-03-2012, 06:07 PM
That was a nice piece. :ThmbUp: