PDA

View Full Version : Just What We Need, a NYRA Mural!

Ocala Mike
09-27-2012, 04:09 PM
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/NYRA-art-250G-to-show-3897561.php

I wonder if Dutrow is pictured? PEB's gonna wind up donating that mural to Cuomo, I think.

Milkshaker
09-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Putting the whole NYRA issue aside for the time being--am I the only one who thinks the whole Peb caricature style is kinda kitschy, and maybe about 35 years past its prime?

takeout
09-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Really, you can’t make this stuff up:

[snip]
ALBANY -— Two years ago, the New York Racing Association's leaders commissioned a $250,000 mural that would immortalize them on the wall of the state's biggest thoroughbred track.
[snip]
Bellocq said he expects the 30-foot-by-6-foot canvas to be installed at Belmont Park, although he's only received a part of the $250,000 commission from NYRA, which has lost nearly $30 million the past two years.
[snip]

Ocala Mike
09-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Anyone hear from Indulto lately? Waiting for him to weigh in on this.

Of course, PEB could always get a nice payday for this mural by simply putting it up for bids among the many NYRA defenders right here at PA.

therussmeister
09-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Putting the whole NYRA issue aside for the time being--am I the only one who thinks the whole Peb caricature style is kinda kitschy, and maybe about 35 years past its prime?
Yep, but then so is horse racing.

Tom
09-27-2012, 10:44 PM
So much for being broke.
A whole lot of credibility just flew out the window if this true.

It has to be too stupid to be true right?

OntheRail
09-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Really, you can’t make this stuff up:

[snip]
ALBANY -— Two years ago, the New York Racing Association's leaders commissioned a $250,000 mural that would immortalize them on the wall of the state's biggest thoroughbred track.
[snip]
Bellocq said he expects the 30-foot-by-6-foot canvas to be installed at Belmont Park, although he's only received a part of the $250,000 commission from NYRA, which has lost nearly $30 million the past two years.
[snip]

What did he paint this on... the Shroud of Turin... that works out to $1388.89 per square foot. Truly a waste of money that will do nothing for NYRA racing but give it another blackeye and show that the heads have nothing in theirs. :bang:

Tom
09-27-2012, 11:12 PM
How much would it cost to install Trakus....to benefit the people who pay for the game at NYRA?

davew
09-28-2012, 12:35 AM
'Well, this is a great piece of art — this is good for racing

OTM Al
09-28-2012, 09:11 AM
I do not like PEB. I find his "art" to often resemble the standard racist depictions that were common 80-100 years ago. I don't know why they decided to do this a couple years ago except to update the mural that is already there before he kicks off. So this wasn't just an idea someone had for something new, but rather to "improve" something that was already there. You can see a picture of the current mural here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_knight_sky/4924686957/

Given the cost, I'm pretty sure this had to be approved by bodies above NYRA officers, but don't look for anyone to fess up anytime soon.

burnsy
09-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Thats been there for years....they were adding on to it. It depicts mostly horses and jockeys. The only thing you can question , is the price they paid. I'm no art expert so it sounds like alot. But of course this gives scumbag James Odato something to lie about. It has nothing to do with "immortalizing" the NYRA board.....its shows 100 years of racing going back to 1900. It was started before any of the people he denegrates were even there. Try looking at the mural and then compare it to what this moron writes! Hes stretching the truth like he always does. The same with the 30 million statement...NYOTB is responsible for most of that....of course, no one from the city or state were involved with that debacle(theft).....yeah ok. I'm not some blind NYRA supporter, they make mistakes and have put themselves in this position. My thing is racing and racing only. Thats why i have reservations about these other firms coming in.....its not that NYRA is some great organization...its the racing they card. Look at tommorrows racing.....not one track has a day like this! The other major days are better than everyone elses too. Day in and day out the racing is better than anywhere else. Thats the only thing i give a shit about. So then i look around at what these other companies have done...i would rather have a mural like that than what they have at Gulfstream Park............or the poly tracks they put in California. where it rains about 2 weeks a year. rain doesn't affect the poly tracks.......until it actually rains....lol. talk about waste...what are they up to now at Santa Anita?......10.....20 million...just for the surface.....lol. The two years of Breeders Cup races that are just about meaningless for dirt horses. That was some "high integrity" action for the game....lol..lol. How about Keeenland?, most of the dirt stakes are useless now..its a prep place for future events....yeah, thats just peachy. downgrades are a coming,,,lol, The purses at these places where half of the card is "junk" racing. Yeah, that NYRA, their racing really sucks and furthurmore they avoided all the crap i just cited....so the one thing they do know is racing.....i don't defend the spending habits or their political crap of shady holdings on take out...they deserve a pee-pee slapping. But to wish for these companies that have been making laughing stock moves where the actual racing is concerned...then i worry. See how i do that.....i read what jack asses like this guy write....determine how much of it is bullshit...then weigh the decisions of what other tracks are doing against what we get here....Gee, Keenland opens next week.........handle down another 8%...lol..lol. I wonder why? The economy? yeah keep lying to yourself....lol

bigmack
09-28-2012, 11:47 AM
I do not like PEB. I find his "art" to often resemble the standard racist depictions that were common 80-100 years ago.
Well I'd say his work is akin to a garden variety caricature artist, but after reviewing much of his work I'm not getting this racist angle you're seeing. Then, you read those types of things into all kinds of situations where any rationale mind wouldn't. Good to have someone as hypersensitive as you 'on the lookout' for the slightest hint of, what is it again, oh yeah, racism.

Tolerate nothing and assume the worst. :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
09-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Well I'd say his work is akin to a garden variety caricature artist, but after reviewing much of his work I'm not getting this racist angle you're seeing. Then, you read those types of things into all kinds of situations where any rationale mind wouldn't. Good to have someone as hypersensitive as you 'on the lookout' for the slightest hint of, what is it again, oh yeah, racism.

Tolerate nothing and assume the worst. :ThmbUp:

Well if Jewish people always depicted with big lips and noses, arabs with hook noses and riding on flying carpets, and Asians with squinty eyes are all appropriate, I guess you are right. It was garden variety caricature in about 1930.

bigmack
09-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Well if Jewish people always depicted with big lips and noses, arabs with hook noses and riding on flying carpets, and Asians with squinty eyes are all appropriate, I guess you are right. It was garden variety caricature in about 1930.
The newsflash is that, THAT'S what caricaturing is all about. Amplifying features.

If he drew a big nose on Jimmy Durante would that make him a racist as well? Now check your Defining Racism manual. Are Italians known for having large snozola's? If not, maybe that wouldn't be racist. But you can NEVER be too careful. :rolleyes:

OTM Al
09-28-2012, 12:03 PM
The newsflash is that, THAT'S what caricaturing is all about. Amplifying features.

If he drew a big nose on Jimmy Durante would that make him a racist as well? Now check your Defining Racism manual. Are Italians known for having large snozola's? If not, maybe that wouldn't be racist. But you can NEVER be too careful. :rolleyes:

When a particular person looks that way, no. When you do it to every member of that group regardless of how they look, yes. He does the latter.

bigmack
09-28-2012, 12:12 PM
When you do it to every member of that group regardless of how they look, yes. He does the latter.
Do appreciate that. I long to be on the lookout for such "blatant" racism as ye. I've been in the dark on the rulings, but now I understand.

We're "on" to "them." :ThmbUp:

Dahoss9698
09-28-2012, 12:25 PM
How predictable.

Ocala Mike
09-28-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm with bigmack on this one. Peb's stuff might be dated, but it's not racist. The art of caricature is a lost one; still exists in publications like "The New Yorker." A caricature is like a "roast" on paper, not at the podium. If you're thin-skinned, you probably won't like a caricature of yourself.

Dahoss9698
09-28-2012, 12:40 PM
When a particular person looks that way, no. When you do it to every member of that group regardless of how they look, yes. He does the latter.
Don't bother with that jerkoff. He's like stepping on a turd and not being able to get it all off.

Poor little lying creep comes up to rattle cages as a result of his DEEP resentment that people actually talk about horse racing on a horse racing message board. Plus, it bothers him he can't hang up here, because he's TOTALLY clueless about racing.

Just another creepy megalomaniac.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/CRYING.gif

OTM Al
09-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Don't bother with that jerkoff. He's like stepping on a turd and not being able to get it all off.

Poor little lying creep comes up to rattle cages as a result of his DEEP resentment that people actually talk about horse racing on a horse racing message board. Plus, it bothers him he can't hang up here, because he's TOTALLY clueless about racing.

Just another creepy megalomaniac.

Mark it down. I was critical of something NYRA did and got criticized for my opinion.

Dahoss9698
09-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Mark it down. I was critical of something NYRA did and got criticized for my opinion.
He's the board cop anytime someone thinks something is racist.

Now...he seems to have a weird fascination with all things Jewish and has had to have numerous threads and posts either removed or edited for this, so it's obviously a subject near and dear to his heart.