PDA

View Full Version : Head to head fantasy racing

depalma113
09-26-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm working on a fantasy horse racing game where players would draft horses in one of three categories I've called: Daily Sprints, Weekend Stakes or Weekly Classics.

The game would be head to head or would consist of 3,5, or 10 players.

Each horse would be assigned a value and players would have x amount of stable dollars to purchase their horses for each day/week.

Daily Sprints would be games where players just drafted horses from that days races selected tracks.

Weekend Stakes would consist of races from Friday through Sunday.

Weekly Classics would consist of races from Monday through Sunday.

The player who's stable earned the most purse money for the day/week would be the winner.

Players would only be able to see their opponents stable after the official start time of the game, say 12pm.

Players would buy 12 horses and must do so by keeping their stable under the salary cap.

Anyone have any thoughts on this idea? Does it sound like something that would be of interest?

Track Phantom
09-26-2012, 08:31 AM
I'm working on a fantasy horse racing game where players would draft horses in one of three categories I've called: Daily Sprints, Weekend Stakes or Weekly Classics.

The game would be head to head or would consist of 3,5, or 10 players.

Each horse would be assigned a value and players would have x amount of stable dollars to purchase their horses for each day/week.

Daily Sprints would be games where players just drafted horses from that days races selected tracks.

Weekend Stakes would consist of races from Friday through Sunday.

Weekly Classics would consist of races from Monday through Sunday.

The player who's stable earned the most purse money for the day/week would be the winner.

Players would only be able to see their opponents stable after the official start time of the game, say 12pm.

Players would buy 12 horses and must do so by keeping their stable under the salary cap.

Anyone have any thoughts on this idea? Does it sound like something that would be of interest?

I've run pools of all kinds for 20+ years (NCAA BB, FB, Masters, etc) and have been intrigued by a horse racing pool but decided against it for one main reason. Most pools fail miserably unless there is a significant amount of predictability and reliability in dates, times, entrants, etc. The minute someone has to be constantly up to speed on the when's, where's, who's etc, they will forget and then lose interest. I can't think of a horse racing pool that would work since it's impossible to know who will run and when, not to mention scratches.

horses4courses
09-26-2012, 08:47 AM
To get this off the ground, I think you need to stick to stakes races.

One of the best things TVG ever did, imo, was to run a fantasy stable game for stakes racing. They had you choose around 10 horses (male/female) in your stable, and you maneuvered them around the upcoming big races, with only so many switches available during a certain timeframe.

The games always ended around BC or KY Derby. Points for those races scored highest, and then G1 down to $75k stakes races.

It was popular because most racing fans are familiar with the best horses.
If you start your game with ordinary races every day, it's hard for many but the hardcore fans to show any interest.

Whichever direction you take this, I wish you luck!

Horseplayersbet.com
09-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Because good horses run so infrequently I think the only way to go is to create a Fantasy game that uses only trainers and jockeys. There would still be room for lots of categories, but most importantly, it would keep players on their toes daily (even if you can only make changes once a week).