PDA

View Full Version : EXCEL GURU NEEDED

HUSKER55
09-24-2012, 07:24 AM
your assistance is greatly appreciated.

suppose you have a column called KITTY in R1:C1 that runs down to R20:C1, which is also the name of the variable.

is there a way to add the variables that make up that column without the column having to be on the sheet? i don't use the individual cells in anything else.

What I need to do is (sum(kittyr1:c1 : kittyr20:c1)) but not on the page.

thanks!

:)

Tom
09-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Yes, just enter the sum function in the cell you need it in, on any sheet, then select the kitty cells on the other sheet and it will add them up and put the result on the page you started it out on.

I use a separate sheet for much of my data and formulas to keep the main one uncluttered.

raybo
09-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Not sure I understand your question. if Tom's response works then ignore this.

Are you saying you have a column labelled "Kitty", and in that column you have "named variables" some, but not all, of which are named "Kitty"?

Tom
09-24-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm assuming all the data is numerical?

cj
09-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Obviously, if you want to do this on the same page, you just use this formula:

=SUM(C1:C20)

To do it on another page, just type this, where "Page1" represents the name of the sheet that contains the values you want to sum:

=SUM(Page1!C1:Page1!C20)

HUSKER55
09-25-2012, 06:53 AM
THE data is all numerical and each cell is named kitty. for example, each cell is the final time.

i have trying to do everyting on one page and then make my final selections on my wagering page.

i need to re-adjust.

thanks.

cj
09-25-2012, 09:34 AM
THE data is all numerical and each cell is named kitty. for example, each cell is the final time.

i have trying to do everyting on one page and then make my final selections on my wagering page.

i need to re-adjust.

thanks.

How do you name a cell? Or a column? Maybe attach an example and I"m sure I could figure out how to do it. I guess I'm just not understanding how this is set up.

raybo
09-25-2012, 11:23 AM
How do you name a cell? Or a column? Maybe attach an example and I"m sure I could figure out how to do it. I guess I'm just not understanding how this is set up.

Actually you can name "ranges", which can be single cells or a range of cells, which enables you to refer to that cell or range, by name (instead of specifying the range itself), in formulas and VBA.

The box to the left of the formula bar is where you name a range.

cj
09-25-2012, 11:31 AM
I've never used that, thanks.

I just tried it, piece of cake:

=SUM(Test.xlsx!KITTY)

Where Test is the name of the file.

cj
09-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Actually, even this worked on another sheet:

=SUM(KITTY)

raybo
09-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Yeah,unless you have the same name on more than 1 sheet you don't need the sheet name, I think.

HUSKER55
09-26-2012, 07:25 PM
THANKS EVERYONE!

Tom
09-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Yes, thanks - I didn't know that way. Makes my life simpler.

raybo
09-26-2012, 09:29 PM
That's what I love about Excel, more than anything else, you can do almost anything and if there's something you want to do but don't know how, there are tons of sources for getting the answers.

cj
09-26-2012, 09:35 PM
That's what I love about Excel, more than anything else, you can do almost anything and if there's something you want to do but don't know how, there are tons of sources for getting the answers.

That is what I like. I'm no expert, but I can figure out anything in a few minutes. It is a great program.