PDA

View Full Version : C-Band signal gone

lamboguy
09-23-2012, 03:03 PM
the last 3 tracks that were still on real time video were Dover Downs, Harrington, and the Red Mile. as of last week, Roberts Communications wants a large fee from those 3 tracks to continue 100% live signals. those tracks were grandfathered into the deal and Dish Network allowed Roberts to ship the real time signal to them.

those tracks as of now have not come up with the new signal fees, and the bell break players have left those tracks because they can't call the break.

from what i understand, Meadowlands and WEG were closing the pools 2 seconds before the horses leave the car. there were still people playing those races when they could catch the breaking horses before the gate opens.

in the short run this is going to hurt those harness tracks handle, but in the long run in could bring more people back to the game should those venues chose not to pay-up.

edmond1
09-23-2012, 09:29 PM
from what i understand, Meadowlands and WEG were closing the pools 2 seconds before the horses leave the car. there were still people playing those races when they could catch the breaking horses before the gate opens.

Not sure what this means ?

Also, the old C-Band feeds were still delayed approx. 2 seconds from real time - 3 seconds faster than the Dish Network feeds now used. This ridiculous change has definitely cost the racing industry millions in revenue. Several of us rarely bet on any simulcast tracks anymore knowing that people on track have a 5 second advantage....

cj
09-23-2012, 09:31 PM

Also, the old C-Band feeds were still delayed approx. 2 seconds from real time - 3 seconds faster than the Dish Network feeds now used. This ridiculous change has definitely cost the racing industry millions in revenue. Several of us rarely bet on any simulcast tracks anymore knowing that people on track have a 5 second advantage....

I'm curious, what exactly is it you think they get with that five second advantage?

edmond1
09-23-2012, 09:54 PM
in the short run this is going to hurt those harness tracks handle, but in the long run in could bring more people back to the game should those venues chose not to pay-up.

In the long run handle has to go down now that the big bettors are gone. Why would anyone bet any serious money if there is a chance a horse can go off stride yards before the start ? I wouldn't. Same applies to thoroughbred racing - I stay away from horses acting up inside the gate. That's why some of us now bet on live racing only.

Roberts can shove their delayed DN feeds up .... This is what happens when you have a monopoly. Technology exists to send signal 1-2 seconds from real time and yet they try to convince you that a 5 second delay is good enough. NO THANKS !!!!!!

lamboguy
09-23-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm curious, what exactly is it you think they get with that five second advantage?when harness bettors bet on harness, they can be sitting with a self betting machine or a teller and have their play ready, if their horse doesn't break stride and they see that their horse is right up on the gate leaving they can press send, if something is wrong they don't press send. or they can have their play in and cancel the bet if something is wrong.

the racing game is a stay at home game these days, if staying at home is a disadvantage, the stay at home players won't play as much or not at all. stay at home players can't cancel after the break in thoroughbreds either while the on track players can.

cj
09-23-2012, 10:41 PM
when harness bettors bet on harness, they can be sitting with a self betting machine or a teller and have their play ready, if their horse doesn't break stride and they see that their horse is right up on the gate leaving they can press send, if something is wrong they don't press send. or they can have their play in and cancel the bet if something is wrong.

the racing game is a stay at home game these days, if staying at home is a disadvantage, the stay at home players won't play as much or not at all. stay at home players can't cancel after the break in thoroughbreds either while the on track players can.

I got it once he answered, it is a harness thing. That is why I moved the thread. I was a big harness player at one time.

lamboguy
09-23-2012, 10:49 PM

i don't think those guys sitting at the red mile had a 2 second delay, i know that is what it used to be before dish network. the 3 tracks that i listed were the only ones that were still on c-band and they might not have been delayed the 2 seconds.

correct me if i am wrong, but i thought that WEG and Meadowlands closed their betting 2 seconds before the start, or was that the 2 second delay due to c-band? i know that most of the other places had a late bell that took them to after the race started.

edmond1
09-24-2012, 01:41 PM
I got it once he answered, it is a harness thing. That is why I moved the thread. I was a big harness player at one time.

No need to move the thread .... This advantage can apply to thoroughbreds as well. To be able to see horses acting up in the gate before making a bet can be very advantageous - especially maiden races. Impossible if you are seeing this 5 seconds later - 2 seconds was acceptable. That is why people betting live at the track can have a massive advantage over someone at a simulcast location. Some of us bet only on WIN so this is very important to us. Won't matter much for pick 3->6 players. That is why a group of us now bet on live racing only.

cj
09-24-2012, 02:56 PM
No need to move the thread .... This advantage can apply to thoroughbreds as well. To be able to see horses acting up in the gate before making a bet can be very advantageous - especially maiden races. Impossible if you are seeing this 5 seconds later - 2 seconds was acceptable. That is why people betting live at the track can have a massive advantage over someone at a simulcast location. Some of us bet only on WIN so this is very important to us. Won't matter much for pick 3->6 players. That is why a group of us now bet on live racing only.

I don't see it as that big a deal with thoroughbreds. A horse breaking stride in those few seconds before the race is off is FAR more likely than a horse acting up just before the gate opens.

mrroyboy
09-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Guys I have been a racing fan both t-breds and harness for about 50 years. It is ALWAYS better to be at whatever track you are betting. You can see alot of things off track people may miss. But that is offset by off track players being able to bet many different tracks,

So like anything thing else there are good points and bad points.

edmond1
09-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Guys I have been a racing fan both t-breds and harness for about 50 years. It is ALWAYS better to be at whatever track you are betting. You can see alot of things off track people may miss. But that is offset by off track players being able to bet many different tracks,

So like anything thing else there are good points and bad points.

You can still bet other simulcast tracks while at the live track. But beware delay on DN feed is approx. 5 seconds and delay on a very good internet feed is approx. 7-8 seconds. If something happens shortly before the off (ie. tb acting badly in gate or sb goes off stride) people at track have at least a 5 second advantage to take appropriate action. I have made/saved a lot of money in these situations. I can't comprehend the reason of these extreme delays. All it did is create all sorts of frustration for many people (ie. getting shut out) and has definitely impacted handle. People affected above are primarily heavy bettors that will likely cut down their betting or just now quit. High takeouts , delayed feeds, slots are putting an end to the game.