PDA

View Full Version : Taulbot Pace Calculator

cosmo96
09-23-2012, 10:38 AM
I am considering the Taulbot Pace Calculator. I would appreciate any advise. I use a lot of angles and software. I've heard that this is a good program. I'm sure there are pros and cons. I am thankful for any and all advise.

atlasaxis
09-23-2012, 01:59 PM
I am considering the Taulbot Pace Calculator. I would appreciate any advise. I use a lot of angles and software. I've heard that this is a good program. I'm sure there are pros and cons. I am thankful for any and all advise.

Cos, don't know if you followed my use of the Taulbot Pace Calc (software) during this past Sar meet. Here are my final results:

Final stats for Saratoga 2012

Today: 12 selections, $24 wagered, $29.00 returned, 2 winners
Total: 208 selections, $416 wagered, $456.70 returned, 28 winners

win % = 13%
ave win mutuel = $16.31
roi = + 9.78

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1333106#post1333106

I've been using it since 2004 and love it. Data files from Brisnet cost $1 per card and I wish it created a fair/true odds line.

JimG
09-23-2012, 02:18 PM
I've been using it since 2004 and love it. Data files from Brisnet cost $1 per card and I wish it created a fair/true odds line.

cj has an odds line tool on his website that is excel based. Perhaps you could take some output from Pace Calculator and input into this excel sheet to create an odds line? Just a thought. His website is www.pacefigures.com and the odds line tool is listed under tools at the top.

Jim

atlasaxis
09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
cj has an odds line tool on his website that is excel based. Perhaps you could take some output from Pace Calculator and input into this excel sheet to create an odds line? Just a thought. His website is www.pacefigures.com (http://www.pacefigures.com) and the odds line tool is listed under tools at the top.

Jim

Thanks Jim, much appreciated!

Tom

ronestes
09-24-2012, 06:50 AM
I can't see the tools feature on the website, mostly ads, where is it Thanks ron

Speed Figure
09-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Look under tools.

cj
09-26-2012, 05:57 PM
I can't see the tools feature on the website, mostly ads, where is it Thanks ron

http://www.pacefigures.com/simulator.xls

teddy
09-27-2012, 10:10 PM
I Would like to hear others input on its effectiveness.. what is the thought behind the figures it produces..

BIG HIT
09-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Bought software was not what expected.Thought would have angle like those in magazine and the pace figure with angle ' s were disappointing.But what ever work's for you is what really inportant.As they are helpers in handicapping you still are the decision maker.Good luck with what ever you decide hope helped

atlasaxis
09-29-2012, 07:56 PM
I Would like to hear others input on its effectiveness.. what is the thought behind the figures it produces..

Teddy did you read these two articles by Doc Sartin?

http://www.americanturf.com/pace/sartinarticle.cfm

http://www.americanturf.com/pace/sartinarticle.cfm?page=2

teddy
09-29-2012, 09:48 PM
I will now... thanks... Just wondered if it came up with selections, figs or something to add to my numbers..

Hosshead
09-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Cos, don't know if you followed my use of the Taulbot Pace Calc (software) during this past Sar meet. Here are my final results:

Final stats for Saratoga 2012

Today: 12 selections, $24 wagered, $29.00 returned, 2 winners
Total: 208 selections, $416 wagered, $456.70 returned, 28 winners

win % = 13%
ave win mutuel = $16.31
roi = + 9.78

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1333106#post1333106

The key to using the old Taulbot (hand held /slide) calculator was in creating very accurate track variants.
Does the Talbout (Software) Pace Calculator use result charts to somehow come up with track variants ?
How does it figure the TV's ?

dartman51
10-01-2012, 02:29 PM
The key to using the old Taulbot (hand held /slide) calculator was in creating very accurate track variants.
Does the Talbout (Software) Pace Calculator use result charts to somehow come up with track variants ?

It does not use charts. It gets all of the info from the BRIS single file DRF files.

Raw Rating

This is the Raw 800 (Highlight Pace Time) rating, calculated using the BRIS speed rating from the DRF file. It is called Raw because it is just the 800 rating without the Angle Percentage Points added.

AP Points

These are the Angle Percentage Points (in the Pace Calculator Manual they are called Angle Percentage Values, but I thought the abbreviation "APV" may cause some confusion).

Raw+APP

This is a combined Raw 800 rating plus the Angle Percentage Points.

This is copied strait from the manual for the software version.

Copyright © 1998 Randy Kovach

atlasaxis
10-01-2012, 07:19 PM

Actually Hoss, that wasn't the key to the pace calc as the calc (manual or software) works very well independent of using the tv or amer-var daily variant. The software works on the same basis as the handheld making use of the highlight fractional time, the final time, and the speed rating and as Dartman said all this is derived from the Bris/DRF single data file.

Hosshead
10-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Actually Hoss, that wasn't the key to the pace calc as the calc (manual or software) works very well independent of using the tv or amer-var daily variant. The software works on the same basis as the handheld making use of the highlight fractional time, the final time, and the speed rating and as Dartman said all this is derived from the Bris/DRF single data file.
Thanks guys for the info on the software version.
I assume the Bris speed ratings already have the track variant in them.
I wish Bris had an "All Tracks Per Month" racefile package.

Actually I used the handheld model for many years and developed my own very accurate track variant method.
It took a lot of work each day, examining each race at each track, and I only did it with tracks in the west coast DRF chart recap edition.
But after coming up with a number from the highlight pace time-final time- and speed rating, ...It Was The Key to making the Taulbot Pace Calculator's "Final" Number far better than without it. It was like night and day.

I have fond memories of that old thing, and somewhere I still have it, cracked in spots and taped together .........
... from burning the midnight oil. :)

Lefty
10-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Fond Memories of Using The Pace Calculator at Ellis park in the 50's and 60's.
Hauled in many good priced winners with it.

atlasaxis
10-02-2012, 09:39 PM
I wish Bris had an "All Tracks Per Month" racefile package.

Hoss I went back and forth with those chuckleheads from brisnet a number of times about that very thing. Guess when they have idiots like me some months paying upwards of $300+ for data files, why do a smaller monthly rate for unlimited files.

atlasaxis
10-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Fond Memories of Using The Pace Calculator at Ellis park in the 50's and 60's. Hauled in many good priced winners with it.

Lefty that must have been an AMAZING period of time going to the track back then! One of the posters on here who I've had the good fortune to communicate with numerous times, had as a mentor someone who actually went to the track with Ray Taulbot on a number of occasions. My friend's mentor used the pace calc for MANY years with phenomenal success as evidenced by all the journals he left behind (noting every single wager he ever made) when he passed away last year. That little piece of plastic was something else! :)

speed
10-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Hoss I went back and forth with those chuckleheads from brisnet a number of times about that very thing. Guess when they have idiots like me some months paying upwards of $300+ for data files, why do a smaller monthly rate for unlimited files.
DRF was $119 unlimited monthly and if you pay for a year at a time like $100 monthly. If you can use DRF data files it's considerably cheaper.

Speed Figure
10-03-2012, 02:46 AM
Lefty that must have been an AMAZING period of time going to the track back then! One of the posters on here who I've had the good fortune to communicate with numerous times, had as a mentor someone who actually went to the track with Ray Taulbot on a number of occasions. My friend's mentor used the pace calc for MANY years with phenomenal success as evidenced by all the journals he left behind (noting every single wager he ever made) when he passed away last year. That little piece of plastic was something else! :)

Take a look at this! http://www.jcapper.com/PastPerformances/ these pp's are on the same scale as bris. The only thing that's different is where the prime power is on bris these pp's have the PSR rating. This is the projected speed rating for today's race. Other than that everything is set up the same way. So why pay $300 plus when you can pay $89 for all tracks and you get full results!

jk3521
10-03-2012, 06:05 AM
[QUOTE=Lefty]Fond Memories of Using The Pace Calculator at Ellis park in the 50's and 60's.
Hauled in any good priced winners with it.[/QUOTE

Do you use the system any longer?

Partsnut
10-03-2012, 08:59 AM
The Taulbot Pace Calculator is a pretty good piece of software.
I was fortunate enough to be given a copy when I briefly worked for Star
publishing.

Being as The Windows version is not compatible with my Vista operating system, I decided to combine AmerVar which was the original Taulbot software that requires manual entry, with the PaceAppraiser methodology.
I did todays 6th race at Belmont without using the optional "angles".
Here's what I came up with. Let's see how the race plays out.
My top 4 contenders are all within 5 points of the top rated horse.
Also notice that "Shankopotamus" has an obvious pace advantage.

Partsnut
10-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Here are the screen shots for the 3rd race at todays DEL using (AmerVar) all the contenders that were within 5 points of the top rated horse. In this race there are (4). I did not use PaceAppraiser for this race.
I used the "Angles" adjustment for the top 4 horses.

Lefty
10-03-2012, 01:23 PM
jk3521, I haven't used it in years. I once had the old computer prgm of it where you put in everything manually. I then started using Doc Sartin prgms but now just use a couple of simple RPM prgms with my money mgt method.

JimG
10-03-2012, 02:55 PM
but now just use a couple of simple RPM prgms with my money mgt method.

Hi Lefty,

Out of curiosity, what RPM programs do you find interesting? Here or pm is great. Good to see you posting.

Jim

Lefty
10-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Jim, how are you? I have been using PHQS for a couple of months and have been getting some nice longshots with it. Just got TOP HORSE a couple of weeks ago and it's simple and i'm seeing some interesting aspects for place betting.
Both of these prgms are simple and quick.

atlasaxis
10-03-2012, 03:29 PM
The Taulbot Pace Calculator is a pretty good piece of software.
I was fortunate enough to be given a copy when I briefly worked for Star
publishing.

Being as The Windows version is not compatible with my Vista operating system, I decided to combine AmerVar which was the original Taulbot software that requires manual entry, with the PaceAppraiser methodology.
I did todays 6th race at Belmont without using the optional "angles".
Here's what I came up with. Let's see how the race plays out.
My top 4 contenders are all within 5 points of the top rated horse.
Also notice that "Shankopotamus" has an obvious pace advantage.

R6 - 6, 5, 7 pace calc :)

atlasaxis
10-03-2012, 03:40 PM
DRF was $119 unlimited monthly and if you pay for a year at a time like $100 monthly. If you can use DRF data files it's considerably cheaper.

Take a look at this! http://www.jcapper.com/PastPerformances/ these pp's are on the same scale as bris. The only thing that's different is where the prime power is on bris these pp's have the PSR rating. This is the projected speed rating for today's race. Other than that everything is set up the same way. So why pay $300 plus when you can pay $89 for all tracks and you get full results!

Thank guys. Unfortunately the pace software only uses bris or trackmaster data files. I contacted Rich from HDW and he said Jcapper files will only work in that software. Appreciate the suggestions though.

Tom

Speed Figure
10-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Thank guys. Unfortunately the pace software only uses bris or trackmaster data files. I contacted Rich from HDW and he said Jcapper files will only work in that software. Appreciate the suggestions though.

Tom
Contact Jeff, rename the file to .drf and it will load in any program that uses bris pp's. I've already tried this and it loaded in my program with no problem.

JimG
10-03-2012, 03:47 PM

Tom

Tom,

You may want to get a sample file from Jeff. I know for a fact his hdw files worked in several products that took bris files. I know they worked in WorKHorse Pro. I cannot recall if I tried in Pace Computer. They just need to be renamed to the drf extension. Check it out with Jeff before dismissing as an option.

Jim

atlasaxis
10-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Contact Jeff, rename the file to .drf and it will load in any program that uses bris pp's. I've already tried this and it loaded in my program with no problem.

Tom,

You may want to get a sample file from Jeff. I know for a fact his hdw files worked in several products that took bris files. I know they worked in WorKHorse Pro. I cannot recall if I tried in Pace Computer. They just need to be renamed to the drf extension. Check it out with Jeff before dismissing as an option.

Jim

Thank you VERY much guys!! Will contact Jeff asap!

Tom

atlasaxis
10-03-2012, 05:36 PM

Tom,

Jim

I contacted Jeff who got right back to me, he sent me a few sample files, did as SF said and renamed file to drf.....BAM! Worked like a charm!!!

I thank both of you VERY much for your help!!

Tom

JimG
10-03-2012, 05:45 PM
I contacted Jeff who got right back to me, he sent me a few sample files, did as SF said and renamed file to drf.....BAM! Worked like a charm!!!

I thank both of you VERY much for your help!!

Tom

Jeff is first class to deal with. Been a customer of his since 2004 and never regretted it for a minute. Glad it worked out.

Jim

lsosa54
10-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Any one using Craig's program try using the renamed drf file?

Triple Nickle
10-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Doesn't work.

Best
Ken

Tom
10-08-2012, 09:38 PM
It's on eBay $25

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ray-Taulbot-s-Pace-Handicapping-Computer-Program-/150917049102?pt=US_Solo_Sports_Fan_Shop&hash=item23235b6b0e

atlasaxis
10-08-2012, 10:29 PM
It's on eBay $25

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ray-Taulbot-s-Pace-Handicapping-Computer-Program-/150917049102?pt=US_Solo_Sports_Fan_Shop&hash=item23235b6b0e

Quite the deal as ATM still sells it for $144.

Lefty
10-10-2012, 01:39 AM
It's on auction. Current bid $46 and change. Still not bad, but how high will it go?

jk3521
10-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Don't worry,the seller will be able to scratch up more copies.

Big Bill
10-10-2012, 06:52 AM
It is important to note that this program will not work on 64 bit systems.

Big Bill

jk3521
10-10-2012, 11:52 AM

Big Bill
For that reason , I'll never get rid of my old laptop using X/P.

JimG
10-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Don't worry,the seller will be able to scratch up more copies.

So true. There are a couple of ebay sellers (shellwin1 and I forget the other) that sell copies of older horse racing programs on ebay. I am sure they monitor this forum because I have noticed as soon as an older program is talked up, it suddenly appears for sale on that venue. I am surprised they have not been shut down.

Jim

dartman51
10-10-2012, 05:48 PM

Big Bill

I have a 64 bit system running WIN 7 ULTIMATE, and it runs just fine for me. The HELP file won't read, but everything else runs fine. Now, I do have a number of programs that won't run in WIN 7 64 BIT, for those I have VIRTUAL PC with WIN XP. But PACE CALC runs as is. :ThmbUp:

Rferguson
10-10-2012, 05:59 PM
could someone please post a screenshot of the programs output
Thank You
Ron

atlasaxis
10-10-2012, 06:10 PM
From KEE R5 today! :)

dartman51
10-10-2012, 06:16 PM

NICE ONE!!! I hope you played it. It's not every day you can hit a $534 exacta, cold. :jump:

Partsnut
10-10-2012, 06:29 PM
atlasaxis:

-------------------------------------------
Very Impressive, nice job.

atlasaxis
10-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys. Parts, how do you attach an image like that? Thank you!

Vinnie
10-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Hey Guys! Wasn't there a software version 1.0 or 1.1 and a 3.0 by Randy Kovach? If that is true, does anyone remember the main differences beween the two different versions?

Thanks folks!

Partsnut
10-11-2012, 03:38 AM
atlasaxis:
Thanks guys. Parts, how do you attach an image like that? Thank you!

Just use a program called Snag-It or Snipping Tool to create a JPG or GIF file
from any of the results files or whatever you wish to insert and then attach it to your message or posting.

raybo
10-11-2012, 08:19 AM
atlasaxis:

Just use a program called or to create a JPG or GIF file
from any of the results files or whatever you wish to insert and then attach it to your message or posting.

"FastStone Capture" works well too, free of course.

atlasaxis
10-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Parts and Ray, thanks for your help! Tom

atlasaxis
10-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Hey Guys! Wasn't there a software version 1.0 or 1.1 and a 3.0 by Randy Kovach? If that is true, does anyone remember the main differences beween the two different versions?

Thanks folks!

Vinnie,

I believe the earlier version required some manual entry and did not have an auto paceline selection feature, whereas the newest version does all that, but still allows you to micromanage the settings.

Tom

Vinnie
10-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Tom,

Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate it very much. You have found much success in the way that you use the Pace Calc in your play. Also, congratulations on having a positive SPA meet. WOW!! That is some very exceptional handicapping indeed.

Wishing you nothing but continued success.

raybo
10-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Parts and Ray, thanks for your help! Tom

Tom, no problem. There are many free screen capture programs available, but most are pretty limited, regarding editing and ease of use. So far, FastStone Capture is the best I've found, allowing easy editing, highlighting, adding circles, boxes, text, arrows, etc..

My later screenshot postings were done with that program.

jk3521
10-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Hey guys , the screen shot on Ebay says that the one for sale is version 1.1, not the later version 3.0. Is the older version worth still bidding on?

Roger
10-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Hope somebody can shed some light on this. I have had Pace Calculator 3.0 installed for many years on older XP 32 bit system. I have now tried to install it on a later model 32bit XP and I get the following message......C:\Program Files\Pace Calculator.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

This has me puzzled...Does anybody have a suggestion what to do?
Seem to me it should install with no problem.

Thank's

Roger

atlasaxis
10-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Hey guys , the screen shot on Ebay says that the one for sale is version 1.1, not the later version 3.0. Is the older version worth still bidding on?

JK, my cd says version 1.1 while the packaging says 3.0 so I believe it's the current one. Tom

atlasaxis
10-11-2012, 08:34 PM
JK, I just received a pm from someone stating:

"There is only one version of Pace Calculator. Version 1.
Not 1.1 or 3.0"

atlasaxis
10-11-2012, 08:39 PM
OOPS, just saw that the auction ended this afternoon, winning bid: 91 beans with 8 bidders bidding 26 times!

KyRacer
10-12-2012, 12:27 AM
There was an update on Randy's site that upgraded the program to 1.2. You can still download the upgrade from his site using Archive.com 's Wayback Machine. I believe that was the last upgrade. UpdatePC3.zip is at the bottom of the page. Also last updates for Work Horse Pro and Aodds98. Make take a couple of seconds to upload the site. Here's the link:

UpdatePC3 (http://web.archive.org/web/20060822212700/http://www.theprogrammer.com/pc3.asp)

Roger
10-12-2012, 05:34 AM
Thank's for the help KyRacer...Just what the doctor ordered. Worked like a charm. I never knew there was an update to 3.0.

Thank's again for the link for the update

Roger, :ThmbUp:

ICR
12-27-2016, 09:58 PM
I realize this post is years after the fact ... but... First post... Numerous views and readings on this forum...

And this seems to be the boards best source to go to...

Are there any copies of Taulbot Pace Software available ?

It seems to be off the market on the American Turf website ?

Any info would be appreciated ... Thanks in advance

ICR

Speed Figure
12-27-2016, 11:17 PM
You should send them an email to see if they still have it.

pandy
12-27-2016, 11:24 PM
I realize this post is years after the fact ... but... First post... Numerous views and readings on this forum...

And this seems to be the boards best source to go to...

Are there any copies of Taulbot Pace Software available ?

It seems to be off the market on the American Turf website ?

Any info would be appreciated ... Thanks in advance

ICR

I don't think it works on windows 10 or 64 bit computers.

NorCalGreg
12-28-2016, 02:35 AM
I don't think it works on windows 10 or 64 bit computers.

Would think the ATM folks, or whoever still holds the rights can update that software and get $100 a copy easily.

The Taulbot name--even today still carries quite a bit of cache.

AltonKelsey
12-28-2016, 04:52 PM
They might get $100 a copy but how many would they sell?

upthecreek
12-28-2016, 05:35 PM
More than they're selling now :lol:

AltonKelsey
12-29-2016, 01:51 PM
No doubt, but would it cover the cost of a major upgrade.

Unless they have enhanced the method , we're talking very old tech .

I guess they could re-release the K2 and Kelco Calculators too.

NorCalGreg
12-29-2016, 01:57 PM

Probably not many, Alton. I'm forgetting the "Golden Age" of horse racing is long gone. Young people aren't buying the latest handicapping tools--so they definitely aren't buying updated vintage.

atlasaxis
12-29-2016, 04:18 PM
It is still available:

https://www.americanturf.com/scripts/item.cfm?cat=&itemid=220&itmcnt=4&secid=3&eflag=0&catalogname=wincommerce

upthecreek
12-29-2016, 04:42 PM
It is still available:

https://www.americanturf.com/scripts/item.cfm?cat=&itemid=220&itmcnt=4&secid=3&eflag=0&catalogname=wincommerce
There's no way to purchase it You can't add to cart I guess you could call & ask

pandy
12-29-2016, 06:04 PM
They never upgraded it to 64 bit and I doubt they ever will. There are better pace handicapping systems.

mickey_arnold
12-31-2016, 11:08 AM
Are you familiar at all with the Taulbot methodology and his ratings table ? I wouldn't want to see you spend money on it without having an in depth look at the ratings that are produced.......Its been almost 10 years since I used the Pace Computer software, so I have no data on how effective it was, but I know that I didn't use its recommended approach to selecting contenders, because I found it too restrictive

SoCaGambler
01-02-2017, 09:27 PM
I have Taulbot Pace Calculator 1.2. I have a windows 7 64 bit system that has been upgraded to windows 10. The program will run with only one problem I am not able to read the help menu.

There was a upgrade to the 1.2 software but the only thing the upgrade was for is to a line the listings for the horses and odds in the race overview screen.

To run the program in windows 10 all I did was select run programs made for older versions of windows. Hope that helps with your questions.

I would be interested if someone could tell me how I would be able to make windows 10 read the help files.

Chuck V

KyRacer
01-03-2017, 01:50 AM
I have run the Taulbot Pace Calculator software on the Windows 7 and Windows 10 64 bit operating systems. I think the problems occurs when installing off the original cd's. I originally installed it on a Windows XP 32 bit system. Instead of reinstalling off the original cd, I just zipped the the whole folder with the program in and moved it to my new computer. Unzipped it and made a short cut for it to the desktop. You don't need to zip it up, you can just move the folder.

As far as the Help file, I found this link on answers.microsoft.com. About the 7th reply down is a reply by Alan Copp, that has instructions and links on how to get the Help file to work on Windows 10. It's been a while since I did it , but it worked for me on both Windows 7 and Windows 10 64 bit systems.

I would think American Turf Monthly could repackage this program and get it to work. Hope this helps.

Help File Info (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/winhlp32-do-we-have-to-go-through-this-again/ddcc2f40-e4f3-407b-9672-ee8a2b08a71e?auth=1)

NorCalGreg
01-03-2017, 07:30 AM
I'm thinking a good old fashioned "knock-off" of this program would be a winner.

"Ray Talbot's Pace Calculater© " (misspellings purposely done).

Honestly...the original wasn't that great. As pandy said...with today's technology--there's better out there today. So it shouldn't be too hard for me to at least duplicate

I believe this would be a winner---especially with the endorsement of the great "Ray Talbot" :lol:

Longshot
01-03-2017, 04:49 PM
If you have EquiSim it's easy to create an FV that will give you the Taulbot's Pace numbers. I wrote one about 10 years ago.

NorCalGreg
01-03-2017, 06:13 PM
If you have EquiSim it's easy to create an FV that will give you the Taulbot's Pace numbers. I wrote one about 10 years ago.

Do any good with it?

Longshot
01-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Do any good with it?

I found it did better on route races than sprints and were not very good at all on California tracks or Gulfstream which were more speed favoring.

AltonKelsey
01-04-2017, 08:10 PM
Too close, maybe this would slip past Ameripub.

"Tay Ralbout's Pace Calculater© "

Probably trivial to code the numbers , take you a night.