PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young, out of money out of Sports

maddog42
09-21-2012, 03:47 PM
While some of my Texas friends may accuse me of slamming him when he is
down, I'm not. This guy was the best run/throw quarterbacks I've ever seen.
He beat USC almost singlehandedly and deserves a lot of respect. Made a couple of pro bowls.

But how in hell do you squander 26 million in 5 -6 years? Amazing. Bad business advice for sure and some of it from family members. I hope the guy makes a comeback.
He is being sued for defaulting on a 1.9 million dollar loan taken during the lockout.

"Peoples claims in the countersuit that every decision he made was approved by Keith Young. And he calls Vince Young's unwillingness to accept responsibility ''a common occurrence ... as (former Titans coach) Jeff Fisher, (Texas coach) Mack Brown, numerous NFL executives, coaches, teammates, scouts, girlfriends and illegitimate children will attest.''

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/vince-young-no-team-out-of-money-091912/?ocid=ansfox11

maddog42
09-21-2012, 03:53 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/09/Vince-Young-spent-5k-per-week-at-Cheesecake-Factory-and-other-tales-of-how-to-go-broke-70000817/1#.UFzFSaDnbCY

Vince Young spent $5k per week at Cheesecake Factory and other tales of how to go broke

Valuist
09-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Out of money, out of sports, and out of common sense.

maddog42
09-21-2012, 04:59 PM
$600 per shot cognac!!! It would take 3k for me to get a buzz.

rastajenk
09-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Chump change! Make it a double. :eek:

bigmack
09-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Staged or what ?

bVhwCzWrna0

anotherCAfan
09-21-2012, 06:56 PM
He beat USC almost singlehandedly and deserves a lot of respect
Thanks for reminding me. :(

I don't want to sound callous, but... nevermind.

Stillriledup
09-21-2012, 07:43 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/draft/2006-03-01-young-wonderlic_x.htm

Vince Young low Wonderlic score article.

Not dealing with a mensa candidate folks.

kingfin66
09-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Staged or what ?

bVhwCzWrna0

If I recall, both parties have said that it was not staged.

Rise Over Run
09-21-2012, 09:05 PM
If I recall, both parties have said that it was not staged.
I think both of them were so afraid of what the other might do that it appeared to be staged.

PhantomOnTour
09-21-2012, 11:43 PM
What does the Jim Rome clip have to do with Vince Young?

ElKabong
09-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Sad deal. Best college football player (or, most valuable) that I ever saw. But the kid didn't belong at UT. He'd never get in if he couldn't play FB, and that goes for approx 90% of every player in D1/ FBS football

Long story here, but he had every resource @ UT available to him to prevent this, but he didn't trust "the man" so to speak. He grew up in the ghetto where keeping it real (?) is more important than personal responsibility.

He hasn't gotten into any serious legal trouble yet, as in breaking the law.....Sadly I bet that changes soon.

Hopefully he won't travel the same path we saw with Rod Shoate. A great player from Ou that played several yrs in the NFL in the 70s & 80s......Was broke before he even got out of football, was homeless and strung out on drugs, arrested for robbery, lived under a bridge.......Died well before he was 50.

If Vince wanted, he could be a "greeter" at an establishment in Austin and earn 6 figures from Hicks or McCombs or Jamail or any # of wealthy alums. It would entail 2 things that I'm not sure he'd be capable of (1) he'd have to clean up his act (no more fun babies, be fiscally responsible, (2) be open and receptive to people than more than a casual hello, which he has always been - very polite, but aloof to wealthier alums that wanted to help.

Hoping the best for the guy. Always pull for him, one of my all time favorites

PhantomOnTour
09-22-2012, 12:31 AM
How long before we read the same story about JaMarcus Russell?

Relwob Owner
09-22-2012, 12:32 AM
What does the Jim Rome clip have to do with Vince Young?

I was wondering the same thing.....

I think I remember a stat where 78 percent of football players are either broke or in some sort of financial trouble 2 years after getting out of the game. Just an amazing statistic.

PaceAdvantage
09-22-2012, 12:33 AM
Just proves that a lot of people live at or beyond their means...and this can happen no matter the income level.

ElKabong
09-22-2012, 12:37 AM
While some of my Texas friends may accuse me of slamming him when he is down,

Nope, you're just telling the truth. Just like I was about the MANY 0u and UT athletes we've seen go thru this (and who could forget fmr LSU QB Demarcus Russell as well).

Pretty sad. I know at UT these kids have had resources to prevent shit like this since the DKR days. Ou has had the resources since the Gibbs days....yet this happens all the time. I don't get it

One of my suppliers is an Afr -American, grew up in DFW, recruited by Miami Fla in the 90's, said I'll never really "get it" b/c most those guys won't listen to figures of authority unless they're accepted in 'the 'hood.....Just a reality. These kids have to separate from their existing support group to do so, and that isn't as easy as it sounds....Yet it's key to prosperity and in many cases, survival

maddog42
09-22-2012, 12:46 AM
I think drugs were the main downfall of Rod Shoate.

We may not have seen the last of Young. If you read between the lines it wasn't lack of ability that got Vince cut but peripheral finance issues. The coaches at Buffalo pretty much admitted it. There is only about 5 or 6 NFL spots that might be a fit.
I can't believe Tebow has a spot and Young doesn't. Tebow is probably infinitely more coachable than Young.

ElKabong
09-22-2012, 12:56 AM
Could be, MD, but now that Buffalo dumped him a lot of UT types (players, coaches that have been around him) claim he's uncoachable. Right now I'm not in a position to defend that charge

I'll say this....He's been swimming upstream as a QB. First he had to deal with Greg Davis (now @ Iowa....you have my condolences out there). He basically has a game plan that attacks horizontally to widen the LB splits, thus open the running game later in the game

That works with conventional QB's not with a guy like VY or Cam Newton. They're big play guys. The more you throw those 2yard routes to the sideline, the fewer big plays they can spring.

Second, Jeff Fisher didn't want him. Bud Adams drafted the hometown kid from HOU.....Fisher made VY's life miserable, just plain stubborn. I could go on, but VY's record as a QB is better than Fisher's as a coach.....and any other QB that was under Fisher when VY was there didn't have near the success VY had in Tenn

But, if you're not the coach -you don't call the shots. Now people on campus are anonymously saying he's just uncoachable, plain and simple

I'm still puling for the guy. He had a chance to go gansta before he got to UT, and after....he's stayed out of trouble, but we'll see if he can keep from spiralling down....the resources for him are there, you and I s/b so lucky to have a safety net like he does.....but that net won't be there forever

ElKabong
09-22-2012, 01:05 AM
How long before we read the same story about JaMarcus Russell?

I thought he already filed for bankruptcy? Or maybe it was an article I read that he'd blown thru just about every cent of his contract. That was a year ago I think?

PhantomOnTour
09-22-2012, 01:11 AM
I thought he already filed for bankruptcy? Or maybe it was an article I read that he'd blown thru just about every cent of his contract. That was a year ago I think?
:lol:
He probably did file for bankruptcy