PDA

View Full Version : USPS is being deliberately sabatoged by Republicans in Congress

bigmack
09-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Our dear, Mostie just made that statement.

Thought we'd kick it around. Let us debate before you vote. See if our dear, Mostie can bring a strong argument to back his most pointed, and INSIDE statement.

HIT IT MOST - Convince us of your statement and I'll try and bring a counter.

johnhannibalsmith
09-20-2012, 07:37 PM
I resisted the urge. I really wanted to hear the facts surrounding this sabotage. I'm guessing that it is a scheme to prevent not only blacks and hispanics from voting, but also military personnel.

johnhannibalsmith
09-20-2012, 07:45 PM
I take it back. I found incontrovertbile evidence of his claims.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/u-postal-asking-floridians-stop-crashing-post-offices-213551323.html?bcmt_s=m#ugccmt-container

bigmack
09-20-2012, 07:57 PM
I take it back. I found incontrovertbile evidence of his claims.
I knew you were mashugana.

You see some of the reports -

- In June 2011, 89-year-old Phyllis Slaunwhite crashed her vehicle into a Florida post office, causing more than $250,000 in damages.

- 9/17/2012; Punta Gorda. Customer pressed the gas instead of the brakes and ran into the building, hitting a front pillar.

- 8/21/2012; Leesburg. Customer she said she was startled by something falling from the sky and accelerated into the post office lobby. :lol:

- 1/3/2012; Indian Rocks Beach. Customer was leaving Post Office when foot slipped off the brake and hit the accelerator, sending car forward over the curb into the east wall of the Post Office. Car hit a cinder block wall, knocking down 2 sets of package lockers on the inside wall.
---------

HEY. No votin' til we state our cases. You momo's are kicked off the jury.

PaceAdvantage
09-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Tell me when you want me to open the poll and I will.

bigmack
09-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Tell me when you want me to open the poll and I will.
I'll defer to you on that, Most. We should be able to wrap this up quick if you have your materials at the ready.

bigmack
09-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Just so folk are up to speed back in '06 there was a Congressional mandate put on the US Postal Service contained in the “Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006” to pre-fund healthcare benefits of future retirees, a 75 year liability over a 10 year period.

They; our men & women, LGBT community and small canines of the USPS, dint like that.

Now just in a cursory looksee I'm getting:

According to Govtrack.us the law in question, H.R. 6407 the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act passed the House by a voice vote and unanimous consent in the Senate. Now not only did the GOP not have a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, all 44 Democrats and the lone independent in the Senate consented to the bill.

Who were the sponsors of the bill?

Danny Davis [D-IL7]
John McHugh [R-NY23]
Henry Waxman [D-CA30]

HANK WAX MAN. :D

I happened to find a PILE of other ditties.

---------------------

Your move, Most. Don't forget about the "deliberate" part.

badcompany
09-20-2012, 08:42 PM
You can make the case that Congress showed great foresight in requiring the pre-payment. With Post Office revenue falling off a cliff as a result of an obsolete business model, the pre-payment will insure that Mostie and his "Colleagues" get paid.

The other option would be to auction off Mostie's old Postal Shorts, but I suspect they wouldn't bring in too much.:(

bigmack
09-20-2012, 09:02 PM
How 'bout a little heads up on your time frame, Most. No point in the host of this joint having to park his can looking at this "slugfest" waiting to turn on the voteski.

mostpost
09-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Just so folk are up to speed back in '06 there was a Congressional mandate put on the US Postal Service contained in the “Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006” to pre-fund healthcare benefits of future retirees, a 75 year liability over a 10 year period.

They; our men & women, LGBT community and small canines of the USPS, dint like that.

Now just in a cursory looksee I'm getting:

According to Govtrack.us the law in question, H.R. 6407 the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act passed the House by a voice vote and unanimous consent in the Senate. Now not only did the GOP not have a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, all 44 Democrats and the lone independent in the Senate consented to the bill.

Who were the sponsors of the bill?

Danny Davis [D-IL7]
John McHugh [R-NY23]
Henry Waxman [D-CA30]

HANK WAX MAN. :D

I happened to find a PILE of other ditties.

---------------------

Your move, Most. Don't forget about the "deliberate" part.

There was no roll call in either house so we really don't know who would have voted yes or no. The mandate was part of a much larger bill which contained several provisions beneficial to the US Postal Service, such as the ability to react more quickly to changing financings by changing rates and to provide services previously denied to USPS.

Also, after the bill was passed and signed into law, there was some controversy over its interpretation by the Office of Management and Budget.

But yes Democrats did support the passage of the bill in general. Where Republicans are "sabotaging USPS is in their refusal to consider legislation which would correct the flaws in PAEA. Bernie Sanders has introduced the Postal Service Protection Act and similar legislation has been proposed in the house. Republican leadership in the house refuses to consider it in committee and the Senate Republicans would filibuster it if it came to the floor.

You can open your silly poll anytime you want. I will not be participating.

bigmack
09-20-2012, 09:30 PM
You can open your silly poll anytime you want. I will not be participating.
Rats. With all that bluster about you busting chops in debate I would have figured you bringing more game. Particularly, on a sub, near & dear to your ticker.

You failed to mention:

- The bill was actually supported by Postal Service itself and its stakeholders — including mailers, small businesses & postal unions in 2006.

- One of the measure’s key sponsors, House Government Reform Committee Chairman Tom Davis, R-Va., praised the bipartisan approach to passing the bill, saying it “solves the structural, legal and financial constraints that have brought the Postal Service to the brink of utter breakdown. This compromise will reverse the ‘death spiral’ at the Postal Service and bring it into the 21st century.”

- The bill freed billions of dollars in the Post Office by removing the burden of paying military retirees who then retired from a career in the Post Office thereby allowing the Post Office to fund their pensions with that money.

--------------------

I don't think your statement holds up to scrutiny. :ThmbDown:

-------------------

Not a bad way of going about these things. Debate-Offs w/ voting. :ThmbUp:

mostpost
09-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Rats. With all that bluster about you busting chops in debate I would have figured you bringing more game. Particularly, on a sub, near & dear to your ticker.

You failed to mention:

- The bill was actually supported by Postal Service itself and its stakeholders — including mailers, small businesses & postal unions in 2006.

- One of the measure’s key sponsors, House Government Reform Committee Chairman Tom Davis, R-Va., praised the bipartisan approach to passing the bill, saying it “solves the structural, legal and financial constraints that have brought the Postal Service to the brink of utter breakdown. This compromise will reverse the ‘death spiral’ at the Postal Service and bring it into the 21st century.”

- The bill freed billions of dollars in the Post Office by removing the burden of paying military retirees who then retired from a career in the Post Office thereby allowing the Post Office to fund their pensions with that money.

--------------------

I don't think your statement holds up to scrutiny. :ThmbDown:

-------------------

Not a bad way of going about these things. Debate-Offs w/ voting. :ThmbUp:

I said there were a lot of good things in the bill. The poison pill was a doozy though. I don't know that the Postal Service support for the legislation was necessarily a sign that it was a good bill. There are people on the Board of Governors who would be just as happy with a privatized PO.

Perhaps those involved at the time; legislators, USPS management, mailers, small businesses and unions felt that the obligation was one the Post Office could manage. Then things happened that changed that dynamic; increased use of the internet, the worst recession in 80 years, increased competition from Fed Ex and UPS.

What was thought possible in 2006 became a fatal burden in 2011. Then why not modify the obligations. You would simply be going back to the requirements followed by all other government agencies. The 2006 legislation required the Post Office to have funding completed by 2016 for employees they would not even be hiring until 2036.

Yet Congressional Republicans will not even look at legislation to fix the problem.

bigmack
09-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Yet Congressional Republicans will not even look at legislation to fix the problem.
Sir, you're buying WAY too much propaganda. The bill did some good things for USPS as you well know. Your old union had no problem with funding their pensions for the next 75 years back in '06. They only opposed the three-day waiting period for compensation.

My point to you is that we could have MUCH better debates around here if you could drop this cartoon character bit of Republicans being perpetually evil routine.

Actor
09-20-2012, 10:36 PM
The poll seems to have opened at 7:30 p.m. It's now just past 10:30 p.m. The poll is closed and nobody voted. Obviously an attempt by the G.O.P. to prevent us 47 percenters from voting. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actor
09-20-2012, 10:43 PM
The bill did some good things for USPS as you well know. Your old union had no problem with funding their pensions for the next 75 years back in '06.The operation did the patient a lot of good but he died. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ElKabong
09-20-2012, 11:02 PM
The poll seems to have opened at 7:30 p.m. It's now just past 10:30 p.m. The poll is closed and nobody voted. Obviously an attempt by the G.O.P. to prevent us 47 percenters from voting. :lol: :lol: :lol:

i voted "no".....i feel disenfrenchfried

bigmack
09-20-2012, 11:07 PM
i voted "no".....i feel disenfrenchfried
Somebody had arrrrready voted yes. Come on, HAD to have been M.

That was low, Most. ;)

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgb02mCfLm1qe0eclo1_r5_500.gif
Sneakers.

PaceAdvantage
09-21-2012, 12:42 AM
OK, guess it's time to open it...whatevah...

bigmack
09-21-2012, 01:39 AM
This is a mockery of shame of a mockery.

I'll put the SYSTEM on trial !

I ax for a white flag from Most. It was thoroughly blown to KC (Kingdom Come) :jump:

No one of you wiseguys go votin' yes.

sYp9WtbMo2k

Dahoss9698
09-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Sure am going to miss all these witty threads come November 7th.

Tom
09-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Wanna bet? :lol:

senortout
09-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Sure am going to miss all these witty threads come November 7th.

I think the wit will continue DaHoss, but with a bit less conviction

Tom
09-22-2012, 05:28 PM
If Obama wins, the material will be endless.
Conviction that he is a cancer will be sky high.

He has been holding back on failure so far....with a second term there is no limit to how low he will go. The only thing that will shut us up is when China turns off our power and the internet goes away.:lol: