PDA

View Full Version : "Brainwashed"

Teach
09-18-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm old enough to remember the 1968 presidential campaign. One of the early front-runners in that campaign was none other than the former head of American Motors, the former Governor of Michigan, George Romney, Mitt Romney's dad.

In 1965, George Romney had been on a fact-finding mission in South Vietnam. Almost two years after that visit, in late-August, 1967, Governor Romney would say that he had been "brainwashed". He had also changed his position from supporting the war in Viet Nam to opposing it. Yet, it was the word "Brainwashed" or "brainwashing" that undid him. The New York Times picked up on the story and the rest is history.

Has George Romney's son, Mitt, done the same thing? Oh, not "brainwashed," but "47%" on other ill-advised comments. My father had a series of comments that he'd frequently remind my brother and me with. One was" One mouth, two ears!" Another was: "Open mouth, insert foot!"

Sometimes, it's better to say as little as necessary.

ArlJim78
09-18-2012, 04:04 PM
the times and the New York times have changed. the NY times used to be influential and could control the narrative. Now they are a laughingstock filled with partisan shills. everyone knows it and nobody much cares what they write anymore.

also the bar for stupid statements is much lower now. "you didn't build that"
Nothing about the 47% comment is ill advised, nor will it hurt his chances in the least. this is entirely a media phenomenon.
according to the media Romney has had a horrible two weeks with two giant gaffes. the reality is that during this same time he has erased Obama's convention bounce and is either two points ahead or one behind whether you belief Rasmussen or gallup. how can that be when the media report on these gaffes to the exclusion all others?

Mike at A+
09-18-2012, 04:12 PM
I think if anyone is brainwashed here, it is people who think giving 0bama another 4 years will make anything better. What's that saying? The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result.

lamboguy
09-18-2012, 04:29 PM
I think if anyone is brainwashed here, it is people who think giving 0bama another 4 years will make anything better. What's that saying? The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result.
there are plenty of people that think that Romney will have the same policy's as Bush, they think that was pretty stupid, is that what you are referring to here?

Mike at A+
09-18-2012, 05:17 PM
there are plenty of people that think that Romney will have the same policy's as Bush, they think that was pretty stupid, is that what you are referring to here?
Ah but Romney and Bush are two different people. 0bama1 and 0bama2 are the same. I think the overwhelming majority of Americans (of all political affiliations) believe that unemployment will be much lower under Romney than 0bama. We've had 43 months of 8% unemployment, more than the last 11 presidents combined. But then again, working for a living doesn't appeal to many 0bama supporters.

fast4522
09-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Hey Teach,
Do you really feel your getting all the traction you need with this thread that is the same as the other one?

FantasticDan
09-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Hey Teach, Do you really feel your getting all the traction you need with this thread that is the same as the other one?Yeah, maybe a mod could combine this with the original. There was no need to make another..

Teach
09-18-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure I'm looking for traction. And yes, I could have just as easily tagged along with a previous related post. Yet, I felt there was a slight, yet distinguishable quality to the two postings.

As I look back, George Romney was being honest. His use of the word "brainwashing" was an apt and candid assessment as to how he felt. It's just that it has a connotation of mind-control. The idea that you can be easily manipulated. Further, the Korean War wasn't that far removed when George Romney went on his fact-finding trip to Viet Nam. There were many who remembered the movie: "The Manchurian Candidate". "Brainwashing" had partricularly sinister connotation. That barbaric mind-control techniques could be used to diametrically alter people's thinking They become in a more modern colloquialism: "programmed". It seemed to say, "I can't make judgments for myself. I can't separate fact from fiction." I'm sure in George Romney's situation that wasn't the case. A poor choice of words. It's all in semantics. The moral to the story: Choose your words carefully.

Finally, I'm sure it's the same with Mitt Romney. In his case, or any case, never have an unguarded moment. You never know when someone is recording you. Stay error-free. In politics, speaking your mind. Telling your true feelings can be outright disastrous. That's the nature of the game. Platitudes. Hackneyed and trite phrases. Glittering generalities.

Marshall Bennett
09-18-2012, 07:46 PM
working for a living doesn't appeal to many 0bama supporters.
Ah ha, there may lie the keynote.

TJDave
09-18-2012, 08:04 PM
I think the overwhelming majority of Americans (of all political affiliations) believe that unemployment will be much lower under Romney than 0bama.

If that were true Romney would win in a walk. The overwhelming majority of Americans have no clue with most leaning pessimistic about job growth. The difference is that most Americans feeling threatened by unemployment believe that a democratic administration would be more sympathetic to their plight.

TJDave
09-18-2012, 08:12 PM
working for a living doesn't appeal to many 0bama supporters.

With friends like you, republicans don't need enemies.

I don't understand why...When it would be just as easy to pretend. :lol:

Mike at A+
09-18-2012, 08:32 PM
If that were true Romney would win in a walk. The overwhelming majority of Americans have no clue with most leaning pessimistic about job growth. The difference is that most Americans feeling threatened by unemployment believe that a democratic administration would be more sympathetic to their plight.
If that were true back in the days when people were ashamed to take a handout, then yes I agree. Unfortunately today just the opposite is true. We used to be the land of opportunity, now we're the land of entitlements. There is a whole underclass of people who DO NOT WANT TO WORK. They are content to live a mediocre life with the bribes they get from the Democrat party in return for votes. Here's another "what if" for you. If 0bama was white, Romney would "win in a walk".

TJDave
09-18-2012, 09:04 PM
There is a whole underclass of people who DO NOT WANT TO WORK. They are content to live a mediocre life with the bribes they get from the Democrat party in return for votes.

What is your point? What would you suggest be done about it?

Here's another "what if" for you.
If 0bama was white, Romney would "win in a walk".

Not following you at all. Explain it to me.

Mike at A+
09-18-2012, 09:17 PM
What is your point? What would you suggest be done about it?

Not following you at all. Explain it to me.

1.) Tighten up the welfare requirements. Make welfare temporary. Make them do a job to earn it. Do away with sanctuary cities.

2.) How many blacks came out to vote for the black guy just because he's black? What percent of the black vote did he get? This may invoke the "race card" by some but they are well documented statistics.

TJDave
09-18-2012, 10:01 PM
1.) Tighten up the welfare requirements. Make welfare temporary. Make them do a job to earn it. Do away with sanctuary cities.

Fine by me. I like making people do things. I think most people would vote for that. ;)

2.) How many blacks came out to vote for the black guy just because he's black? What percent of the black vote did he get? This may invoke the "race card" by some but they are well documented statistics.

If a Lehigh Valley native were running for President what percent of your town's vote do you think they'd get?

What percent of the Mormon vote do you think Mitt Romney will get?

If Barack Obama were white would blacks vote for Romney instead?

Mike at A+
09-19-2012, 07:15 AM
If a Lehigh Valley native were running for President what percent of your town's vote do you think they'd get?

What percent of the Mormon vote do you think Mitt Romney will get?

If Barack Obama were white would blacks vote for Romney instead?

1.) Pat Toomey is a Lehigh Valley native. While many people here love him, almost as many hate him.

2.) Romney should carry the Mormon vote. But I doubt it will be anywhere near the percent 0bama gets of the black vote.

3.) Again, if 0bama was white, the black turnout would be nowhere near what it was on 2008 and probably much less than what in will be in 2012.