PDA

View Full Version : Cable: Another Industry Out of Touch With its Customers

Dave Schwartz
09-18-2012, 11:21 AM
First, I really like cable programming. I love video-on-demand, especially HBO series like Newsroom, Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones (our newest addiction).

However, when it comes to the user-interface, these people are so out-to-lunch.

If I want to rent a movie, I have several options:

1. The limited supply at RedBox for $1.29
2. NetFlix streamed to my TV but without my sound system.
3. Cable's video-on-demand at $6.99 or more.

There are times I would consider #3 - I really would. But the problem is that the movies are in A-Z order and you must navigate the movies in order from A-thru-Z!

To make matters worse, there are hundreds of movies, and each screen shows like 6 or 8 movies.

To make matters still worse, the screen refresh is very slow. It literally takes 35-45 minutes to go through the entire list!

My question is, "How can an industry with such huge revenue behind it be so stupid?"

And another thing... The DVR does not accept any external input! No USB, no NIC, nothing!

BTW, I have the absolutely newest DVR they have available, and the software is very buggy.

Rant finished.

Thank you for listening.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

DJofSD
09-18-2012, 01:08 PM
TiVo addresses some of these short falls but then it brings its own problems.

It's been a while but as I recall AT&T Uverse had a very good interface for the normal day in, day out stuff. What I don't recall is how well the OD menus worked.

I wonder why there isn't an app for the cable services that would run on both WINTEL and Apple devices. Let the PC platform do what it does best then let it commuicate to the cable box to "make it so."

ceejay
09-18-2012, 01:44 PM
First, I really like cable programming. I love video-on-demand, especially HBO series like Newsroom, Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones (our newest addiction).

However, when it comes to the user-interface, these people are so out-to-lunch.

If I want to rent a movie, I have several options:

1. The limited supply at RedBox for $1.29
2. NetFlix streamed to my TV but without my sound system.
3. Cable's video-on-demand at $6.99 or more.

There are times I would consider #3 - I really would. But the problem is that the movies are in A-Z order and you must navigate the movies in order from A-thru-Z!

To make matters worse, there are hundreds of movies, and each screen shows like 6 or 8 movies.

To make matters still worse, the screen refresh is very slow. It literally takes 35-45 minutes to go through the entire list!

My question is, "How can an industry with such huge revenue behind it be so stupid?"

And another thing... The DVR does not accept any external input! No USB, no NIC, nothing!

BTW, I have the absolutely newest DVR they have available, and the software is very buggy.

Rant finished.

Thank you for listening.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
To make matters worse, when I try to use "OnDemand" services, there is about a 33% chance that the services will not work.

Show Me the Wire
09-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Dave,

My Dish receivers have a usb port, but I don't have the newest technology. I just upgraded to HD receivers, which will be installed tomorrow.

Why can't you connect netflix to your sound system?

I agree about the video on demand features.

Tom
09-18-2012, 01:59 PM
On Demand, start over, not even 33% for me.
I'm looking at expanding my Dish and getting the Hopper.

FantasticDan
09-18-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm looking at expanding my Dish and getting the Hopper.

Tom, is that you down in the basement TV room? :lol:

Fq_hOx8E2uo