PDA

View Full Version : UBS trader a 'gamble away from destroying the bank

ElKabong
09-15-2012, 04:41 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financial-crime/9544841/UBS-trader-a-gamble-away-from-destroying-the-bank.html

An “out-of-control” rogue trader accused of Britain’s biggest banking fraud “was a gamble or two away from destroying Switzerland’s largest bank”, a court heard yesterday.

Kweku Adoboli is accused of gambling away £1.4 billion while working as a trader at UBS in the City of London..........

Mr Adoboli, who denies two counts of fraud and two counts of false accounting between October 2008 and last September, allegedly gambled the money on high-risk trades in an attempt to increase his annual bonus and boost his job prospects, Southwark Crown Court was told.

thaskalos
09-15-2012, 04:57 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financial-crime/9544841/UBS-trader-a-gamble-away-from-destroying-the-bank.html

An “out-of-control” rogue trader accused of Britain’s biggest banking fraud “was a gamble or two away from destroying Switzerland’s largest bank”, a court heard yesterday.

Kweku Adoboli is accused of gambling away £1.4 billion while working as a trader at UBS in the City of London..........

Mr Adoboli, who denies two counts of fraud and two counts of false accounting between October 2008 and last September, allegedly gambled the money on high-risk trades in an attempt to increase his annual bonus and boost his job prospects, Southwark Crown Court was told.

It warms my heart to read stories like these.

Why should horseplayers be the only ones who destroy their banks?

Saratoga_Mike
09-15-2012, 05:28 PM
It warms my heart to read stories like these.

Why should horseplayers be the only ones who destroy their banks?

I have no comment on this, but damn I love your new signature.

Show Me the Wire
09-15-2012, 06:08 PM
I have no comment on this, but damn I love your new signature.

Actually, what happens in off topic should stay in off topic. I hope you don't use that signature outside of the off topic forum.

PaceAdvantage
09-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Actually, what happens in off topic should stay in off topic. I hope you don't use that signature outside of the off topic forum.It would be impossible not to.

thaskalos
09-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Actually, what happens in off topic should stay in off topic. I hope you don't use that signature outside of the off topic forum.
Is Boxcar known outside of the off-topic?

Show Me the Wire
09-15-2012, 06:51 PM
It would be impossible not to.

There is an option to not show signature.

Saratoga_Mike
09-15-2012, 06:54 PM

Given this thread is under "Off-topic - General," I don't really understand your point.

PaceAdvantage
09-15-2012, 06:55 PM
There is an option to not show signature.Yes, but the option applies everywhere. Show your signature everywhere or show it nowhere.

Show Me the Wire
09-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Didn't know it was only an universal option. However, I don't think it would be a good precedent to set, in allowing such signatures, could be pretty nasty.

Your site your call.

Saratoga_Mike
09-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Didn't know it was only an universal option. However, I don't think it would be a good precedent to set, in allowing such signatures, could be pretty nasty.

Your site your call.

What's so nasty about it? I assume Box said it. If Box would now like to retract the statement, I'm sure Thask would stop using the sig.

Show Me the Wire
09-15-2012, 07:19 PM
What's so nasty about it? I assume Box said it. If Box would now like to retract the statement, I'm sure Thask would stop using the sig.

I don' t believe it is an actual quote and I chuckled when I read it. I just can see this going off the rails.

Saratoga_Mike
09-15-2012, 07:20 PM
I don' t believe it is an actual quote and I chuckled when I read it. I just can see this going off the rails.

Okay, I assumed it was a real quote (it sounds like Box). If it isn't, I see your point - it's still funny, though.

Show Me the Wire
09-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Okay, I assumed it was a real quote (it sounds like Box). If it isn't, I see your point - it's still funny, though.

Yes it is.

johnhannibalsmith
09-15-2012, 07:26 PM
It's a real quote because I remember laughing when I read it the first time.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1336637&postcount=2609

thaskalos
09-15-2012, 07:29 PM
This is an actual quote...taken out of post 2609 of the religious thread.

But I am not trying to cause any problems.

I will remove it, as soon as Boxcar sees it and makes a comment.

If I erase it now...he is going to read all the comments and think my sig was a lot worse than it really is.

PaceAdvantage
09-15-2012, 07:30 PM
And with his direct line to God, you definitely don't want to piss Boxcar off... :eek:

thaskalos
09-15-2012, 07:32 PM
And with his direct line to God, you definitely don't want to piss Boxcar off... :eek:
If you'll allow me to keep it, then I'll keep it.

I kinda like it...

Jay Trotter
09-15-2012, 07:34 PM
If it's an actual quote -- which it is -- then it is fair game to use as a signature. I don't see how it would be an issue if the person who originally stated it stands behind it which we all know he would because he is never wrong. :ThmbUp:

Show Me the Wire
09-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Taken way out of context of the discussion, explaining he knew the subject Jesus was talking about and not what Buddha meant.

This is not about boxcar per se ,it is about setting ground rules.

Saratoga_Mike
09-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Taken way out of context of the discussion, explaining he knew the subject Jesus was talking about and not what Buddha meant.

Yeah, it is taken out of context. But we all know Box has a great sense of humor, so I suspect he'll be fine with it.

Show Me the Wire
09-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah, it is taken out of context. But we all know Box has a great sense of humor, so I suspect he'll be fine with it.

I agree he will not be offended and I am not coming to his defense.

It is a poor precedent, in my humble opinion.

thaskalos
09-15-2012, 07:58 PM

It was only meant as good-natured ribbing...and I wasn't going to keep it for long.

But I have to let him see it before I remove it...otherwise he'll get the wrong idea.

Jay Trotter
09-15-2012, 07:58 PM
It is a poor precedent, in my humble opinion.I respectfully disagree!

PaceAdvantage
09-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Nobody cares anymore about thread integrity...do they? :lol:

Jay Trotter
09-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Nobody cares anymore about thread integrity...do they? :lol:That sounds like it should be your new signature! I see you are sorrily lacking one at the moment. :rolleyes:

Dahoss9698
09-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Your site your call.

Just so I'm clear....it's okay to start nasty threads about people where you make stuff up.

But using someone's actual quote as your signature sets a bad precedent?

I'm sure in some alternate universe that makes some sense, but not this one.

Rookies
09-15-2012, 09:37 PM

:lol: :jump: ;) :D

BWAHAHAHAHA... THAT WAS GREAT!

(I'vealwaysthoughthimaprophetofsouthnotnorthbut... toeachhisown)

Rookies
09-15-2012, 09:40 PM

Why?

To quote a poster? Or... to misquote... or what exactly?

Tom
09-15-2012, 09:42 PM
OT stuff being displayed in the racing section.

PaceAdvantage
09-15-2012, 09:45 PM
OT stuff being displayed in the racing section.Yes...that would be the major reason why I don't want to see signatures like that...

Rookies
09-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Yes...that would be the major reason why I don't want to see signatures like that...

I could be mistaken, but I was pretty damn sure I've seen MORE than one person quote someone else from here in their sig...

PaceAdvantage
09-15-2012, 09:58 PM
I could be mistaken, but I was pretty damn sure I've seen MORE than one person quote someone else from here in their sig...Ones designed to provoke the quoted?

Rookies
09-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Ones designed to provoke the quoted?

Well, they weren't meant to compliment the individual.:rolleyes:

There is one here I don't like, but I would never tell that person that I don't approve. Don't think it's my place and he would disagree and stress his right to post.

Only once on one Forum I asked somebody to change their sig. It was a sport I played and the reference was to the mentally challenged.

He did.

PaceAdvantage
09-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Well, they weren't meant to compliment the individual.:rolleyes:

There is one here I don't like, but I would never tell that person that I don't approve. Don't think it's my place and he would disagree and stress his right to post.

Only once on one Forum I asked somebody to change their sig. It was a sport I played and the reference was to the mentally challenged.

He did.Well, I'd like to know if perhaps I missed something...can you PM me the details?

Rookies
09-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Well, I'd like to know if perhaps I missed something...can you PM me the details?

Mike, I'd have to search as it's probably been changed. Pretty sure they quoted some persons that don't post here any longer- like 'Secretariat' or one other...;)

Like I said... didn't bother me. I normally don't take issue with such stuff. Just wondered what the issue was, as I've never seen it discussed before.

Show Me the Wire
09-15-2012, 10:12 PM
I respectfully disagree!

It is okay to disagree.

ElKabong
09-15-2012, 10:25 PM
If it's an actual quote -- which it is -- then it is fair game to use as a signature. I don't see how it would be an issue if the person who originally stated it stands behind it which we all know he would because he is never wrong. :ThmbUp:

Wonderful. If I were of your ilk I'd make fun of your posting about how Obama is all about inclusion for allies, but not able to give examples. How fun that would be for a new sig of mine?.

Dahoss9698
09-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Yes...that would be the major reason why I don't want to see signatures like that...

Not trying to be difficult, but why would that be a problem? I mean, if it's good for off topic, it should be good for racing side, right?

Unless of course you don't want to promote the kind of stuff that goes on in off topic, but that can't be it. :D

PaceAdvantage
09-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Not trying to be difficult, but why would that be a problem? I mean, if it's good for off topic, it should be good for racing side, right?

Unless of course you don't want to promote the kind of stuff that goes on in off topic, but that can't be it. :DOff topic exists for a reason, wise-ass.

It's so that the racing side doesn't get mucked up with politics, religion, sports, computers, and every other topic here in off topic.

That's why political avatars, political signatures, and other potentially inflammatory symbols and rhetoric are not allowed on the racing side. Because if I did allow that, the racing side would turn into the off-topic side.

But then again, the mindless arguing and name-calling that goes on here in off-topic often does occur over on the racing side, doesn't it Dahoss? In fact, I bet you're intimately familiar with those kinds of less appealing threads on the racing side, as you're often at the very heart of more than a few of them...isn't that right?

Keep coming at me buddy, intimating things that aren't true. Intimating that I am somehow ashamed of what goes on here in off-topic, and that's why I don't allow politics and religion over on the racing side, when in fact, that's not the reason at all.

If people want to talk about politics and religion, they go to off-topic. If they want to talk horse racing, they go to the racing boards. If they want to do both, they'll confine such talk to the appropriate section(s).

It's been like this from day one, Dahoss. Smarten up. You might actually stop putting your foot in your mouth where it concerns me and this website.

Not trying to be difficult... :lol:

Good one.

Dahoss9698
09-16-2012, 12:54 AM
Struck another nerve I see. :lol:

PaceAdvantage
09-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Struck another nerve I see. :lol:Typical and predictable.

BTW, this little off-topic section has more posts than any other section on the board. So if I'm trying not to promote what happens here in off-topic, I must be doing a piss-poor job of it, don't you think?

Dahoss9698
09-16-2012, 01:10 AM
I knew that was going to be your response.

However you think I should be promoting off topic on the racing side, I'm all ears.

Tell me how, tell me why, and tell me also why you seem to think nobody knows about off topic on the racing side, because that's kind of what you're trying to say.

Considering off-topic has more posts than any single racing section tells me I've been promoting it just fine.

So what were you trying to say again?

More assuming and you're about as far away from correct as you could be.

To avoid anymore confusion on your end, of course I think people know about off topic on the racing end. I just don't see the need to have separate rules for each section...unless one section got treated differently.

PaceAdvantage
09-16-2012, 01:18 AM
To avoid anymore confusion on your end, of course I think people know about off topic on the racing end. I just don't see the need to have separate rules for each section...unless one section got treated differently.And here I thought the need was quite obvious. Let's say you're sitting there talking about some racing topic in the racing area, and you glance down and see "Romney Hates Poor People" as someone's signature...or you see "Obama is a Communist" as a signature...or you see an avatar like Boxcar has, sitting alongside the person's screen name that you are discussing racing with.

Next thing you know, out breaks a political argument in the middle of a racing thread because of those inflammatory political signatures/avatars...arguments that should only be confined to off-topic.

An obvious way to control the situation is to confine such signatures and avatars where they belong, in off-topic where all political discussions are confined...

This is first and foremost a racing board. If it were a political board with an off-topic racing section, then the rules would be reversed.

Pretty simple, right?

Dahoss9698
09-16-2012, 01:46 AM
And here I thought the need was quite obvious. Let's say you're sitting there talking about some racing topic in the racing area, and you glance down and see "Romney Hates Poor People" as someone's signature...or you see "Obama is a Communist" as a signature...or you see an avatar like Boxcar has, sitting alongside the person's screen name that you are discussing racing with.

Next thing you know, out breaks a political argument in the middle of a racing thread because of those inflammatory political signatures/avatars...arguments that should only be confined to off-topic.

An obvious way to control the situation is to confine such signatures and avatars where they belong, in off-topic where all political discussions are confined...

I understand why you do it. It's just funny to me. Boxcar feels so strongly about his avatar that he decided to not participate in the racing section in order to keep his political avatar. If it were a political board with an off topic racing section I guess it would make sense, but it's not, right?

This is first and foremost a racing board. If it were a political board with an off-topic racing section, then the rules would be reversed.

For some. Others are here for political talk ONLY. And judging by which area gets a majority of the daily action, I think a case can be made that it's both at this point. And no, that isn't an insult at all. Just an observation.

johnhannibalsmith
09-16-2012, 02:34 AM
8MxGC1j2ogM

Jay Trotter
09-16-2012, 09:33 AM
It is okay to disagree.Yes, it is. Now to make up and attribute quotes that were never said -- that's a different matter! :lol:

Jay Trotter
09-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Wonderful. If I were of your ilk...And what would my "ilk" be exactly? Someone who expressed an opinion in a respectful manner?

...I'd make fun of your posting about how Obama is all about inclusion for allies, but not able to give examples.I did give a specific example -- I personally find his words to be inclusive. I am a specific example!

You want something more specific -- Obama's UN speech -- he speaks to the assembly in a way that lifts up other, lesser nations.

ie. "Development in one nation is tied with another. Development in any nation also also serves our interests" [as American’s].

How fun that would be for a new sig of mine?.Go ahead, have fun with it. I enjoy good natured fun -- I'm a wise ass from way back! :ThmbUp: I've not been disrespectful to you, so I'm not sure why the tone just because we disagree.

Tom
09-16-2012, 09:47 AM
You want something more specific -- Obama's UN speech -- he speaks to the assembly in a way that lifts up other, lesser nations.

He was hired to lift up this one.
But he has done wonders for Egypt and Libya, and even Afghanistan.
Doing a helluva job there, Barry.

Show Me the Wire
09-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Yes, it is. Now to make up and attribute quotes that were never said -- that's a different matter! :lol:

I have never been disrespectful towards you.

Actually, it is a condensed quote of your words typed by you regarding your purchase of a lottery ticket and your subsequent actions. Is your memory refreshed?

Dahoss9698
09-16-2012, 12:16 PM

Actually, it is a condensed quote of your words typed by you regarding your purchase of a lottery ticket and your subsequent actions. Is your memory refreshed?

You sure showed him.

thaskalos
09-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Ones designed to provoke the quoted?

Forgive me for making more of this than I perhaps should, PA...but how exactly am I provoking anyone with this signature?

I would hazard to guess that the vast majority of the signatures I see on this board are of an "off-topic" nature. I have even seen signatures which feature humorous quotes from other members here.

How is this any different?

Boxcar can quote John Piper, or Jesus...but I can't quote Boxcar?

This is not the first time Boxcar has said that he "knows" what Jesus meant...and I would like to see him deny that fact.

I have asked him several times how he is so sure about the true meaning of the cryptic passages of the Christian scriptures...and he says that he knows because he is guided by the "Holy Spirit".

Would you rather I use THAT quote instead?

Why can I quote Plato, but not Boxcar?

In his mind...there is little difference...:)

ElKabong
09-16-2012, 12:34 PM
And what would my "ilk" be exactly? Someone who expressed an opinion in a respectful manner?

I did give a specific example -- I personally find his words to be inclusive. I am a specific example!

ie. "Development in one nation is tied with another. Development in any nation also also serves our interests" [as American’s].

Go ahead, have fun with it. I enjoy good natured fun -- I'm a wise ass from way back! :ThmbUp: I've not been disrespectful to you, so I'm not sure why the tone just because we disagree.

Consider my tone one of calm and attempting to keep this a factual discussion

First paragraph- You expressed an opinion. When asked to provide substantive examples for that opinion, you didn't. Analogy- a person with an IQ of 35 saying he's intelligent. Speaks the words, can't back it up with fact.

Second paragraph- You described how he "speaks", Not the results of his talk. That's a feel good emotion you're expressing. Meanwhile the Middle East is burning, our economy is sinking further into abyss.

Third paragraph and beyond- The UN, yes them. The comment below by a UN official should enlighten..... Obama's speeches are one thing, his actions are quite another. People with their eyes open are beginning to understand that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/21/drone-strikes-international-law-un

from the article below>>>
In his strongest critique so far of drone strikes, Heyns suggested some may even constitute "war crimes"-

PaceAdvantage
09-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Forgive me for making more of this than I perhaps should, PA...but how exactly am I provoking anyone with this signature?

I would hazard to guess that the vast majority of the signatures I see on this board are of an "off-topic" nature. I have even seen signatures which feature humorous quotes from other members here.

How is this any different?

Boxcar can quote John Piper, or Jesus...but I can't quote Boxcar?

This is not the first time Boxcar has said that he "knows" what Jesus meant...and I would like to see him deny that fact.

I have asked him several times how he is so sure about the true meaning of the cryptic passages of the Christian scriptures...and he says that he knows because he is guided by the "Holy Spirit".

Would you rather I use THAT quote instead?

Why can I quote Plato, but not Boxcar?

In his mind...there is little difference...:)Boxcar isn't allowed to post in the racing section as long as he keeps his avatar.

The same goes for anyone who chooses to have politically motivated signatures (regardless of political ideology), or anyone with a signature I consider to be inflammatory in nature.

If one wishes to post on the racing section of this website, then these are the simple rules one must follow.

The following is quoted directly from the Terms of Service of PaceAdvantage.com, and has been in place since such Terms were created years and years ago (and terms you agreed to when you registered on this website):

Politically charged avatars and postings are strictly forbidden in any of the HORSE RACING topics. The OFF-TOPIC forums have been specifically designed for just this sort of subject. The administrator reserves the right to remove any avatar deemed unacceptable. I have broadened this restriction to include signatures, as they appear in every one of your posts. I have also broadened this restriction to include religion as well as politics, and I reserve the right to broaden my interpretation even further as warranted.

thaskalos
09-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Boxcar isn't allowed to post in the racing section as long as he keeps his avatar.

The same goes for anyone who chooses to have politically motivated signatures (regardless of political ideology), or anyone with a signature I consider to be inflammatory in nature.

If one wishes to post on the racing section of this website, then these are the simple rules one must follow.

The following is quoted directly from the Terms of Service of PaceAdvantage.com, and has been in place since such Terms were created years and years ago (and terms you agreed to when you registered on this website):

I have broadened this restriction to include signatures, as they appear in every one of your posts. I have also broadened this restriction to include religion as well as politics, and I reserve the right to broaden my interpretation even further as warranted.

Can I keep the signature if I agree to stop posting on the racing section of this website?

PaceAdvantage
09-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Can I keep the signature if I agree to stop posting on the racing section of this website?

dEMHtoWGLW0

Jay Trotter
09-16-2012, 02:06 PM

Actually, it is a condensed quote of your words typed by you regarding your purchase of a lottery ticket and your subsequent actions. Is your memory refreshed?I do recall that little story. But cobbling two ends together like that is kind of like the Obama quote "you didn't built that"!

I'll stand by the quote though as I recall that story fondly. My wife not so much. Perhaps you should link it as I couldn't find the original post.

Good stuff:ThmbUp:

Saratoga_Mike
09-16-2012, 02:14 PM
I do recall that little story. But cobbling two ends together like that is kind of like the Obama quote "you didn't built that"!

:ThmbUp:

Not sure on that one Trotter - it doesn't sound much better in the full context...

"There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires."

Jay Trotter
09-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.Well, if you seriously think that those on the left don't believe in individual accomplishment and entrepeneurial spirit then we really can't have an intelligent conversation. His point was that we accomplish things by working together to set up infrastructure, etc.

It's just silly to say otherwise. If Obama actually believes what you infer then I'm an idiot because he's got me totally duped. (insert multiple smartass responses related to this sentence)

I own my own business. In fact I "made" those very nice shirts Mike gave away at Saratoga. Now that I think about it -- I must be an idiot -- cause I did those at no profit as my way of giving back to an awesome site that I believe strongly in. :bang:

The thing that befuddles me is that everything has to be black and white. Because I have a slightly different view of the world doesn't make me right or wrong, good or evil, intelligent or stupid; at least in my own eyes.

.......give me a moment...................

....okay, I've got my poop deflectors on. Fire away. :ThmbUp:

Saratoga_Mike
09-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Well, if you seriously think that those on the left don't believe in individual accomplishment and entrepeneurial spirit then we really can't have an intelligent conversation. His point was that we accomplish things by working together to set up infrastructure, etc.

It's just silly to say otherwise. If Obama actually believes what you infer then I'm an idiot because he's got me totally duped. (insert multiple smartass responses related to this sentence)

. :ThmbUp:

I don't think you're an idiot, but he may have you duped! :)

ElKabong
09-16-2012, 02:52 PM

ElKabong
09-16-2012, 02:55 PM
oops.