PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln

FantasticDan
09-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Looking forward to this movie.. Daniel Day Lewis is not capable of delivering a bad performance. I remember being startled when my HS History teacher told our class that Lincoln's voice was actually somewhat "high and squeaky", and yet I've never heard it depicted that way.. not surprised at all that Lewis would get it right..

qiSAbAuLhqs

Tom
09-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Is the is the one where he fights vampires?

PhantomOnTour
09-14-2012, 03:33 PM
In The Name Of The Father was a very good movie

bigmack
09-14-2012, 03:35 PM
God I wish Spielberg and others would stop using the mawkish John Williams for music. Shite feels positively Disneyesque. Worse yet, War Horse like. :ThmbDown:

FantasticDan
09-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Is the is the one where he fights vampires? :D No, that one didn't do so well.. :blush:

Jay Trotter
09-14-2012, 06:24 PM
God I wish Spielberg and others would stop using the mawkish John Williams for music. Shite feels positively Disneyesque. Worse yet, War Horse like. :ThmbDown:An opinion on absolutely everything! What would we do without you? :lol: Hopefully, we'll find out assuming you took up Dahoss on his bet!

bigmack
09-14-2012, 06:52 PM
An opinion on absolutely everything! What would we do without you?
Well golly, I was a music theory/composition major in college.

What a laugh riot I'll have to take your dough.

Jay Trotter
09-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Well golly, I was a music theory/composition major in college.Two night courses at Bird Rock Community College don't count!:bang:

TJDave
09-14-2012, 07:56 PM
God I wish Spielberg and others would stop using the mawkish John Williams for music. Shite feels positively Disneyesque. Worse yet, War Horse like. :ThmbDown:

I understand your criticism, however I'm confident that the extremely talented Mr. Williams could produce whatever the director requires. The fact that he actually composes music which is then performed by real musicians is refreshing...and in today's Hollywood, rare.

bigmack
09-14-2012, 08:08 PM
I understand your criticism, however I'm confident that the extremely talented Mr. Williams
Oh look, an actual response instead of having to deal with pathetic sycophants of a creep.
--
As mentioned in a previous postie, I LOVE the early 'work' of JW. He's become so sappy of late I can't handle it. Dripping suspensions that tear at heartstrings for no apparent reason in conjunction with the visuals. But then, my belief is that soundtracks should be used minimally. JW's opus in War Horse was laughable.

As for using live musicians v. virtual; lend an ear to the Vienna Symphonic Library that I've been using of late in an interpretation of Igor's Rite.

I dare say, you'd be hard pressed to know live/virtual.

PB3njyDW8SY

ArlJim78
09-14-2012, 08:29 PM
I can't think of a better actor working today than Daniel Day Lewis, doesn't take many roles but man what he does with them.
I'm not a Spielberg fan, but I'll see this one, that trailer looked like a high quality product.

TJDave
09-15-2012, 03:40 AM
I dare say, you'd be hard pressed to know live/virtual.

Musicians who aren't paid, know. :rolleyes:

rastajenk
09-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Yesterday was the 150th anniversary of the battle at Antietam Creek, where the rebel invasion of the North was repelled, or at least stalled for the time being. And five days later, 9/22 will be the same anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation. Lincoln had drafted it earlier in the summer, but kept it under wraps until the political wind was blowing in the right direction. Among other things, it insured that Europe (more precisely, England and France) would not intervene to help the South.

I've been reading Shelby Foote's trilogy throughout this year (I was surprised it was written in the 50's and 60's; I thought it was more contemporary with the Ken Burns' series that must have been inspired by it). Early on he describes Lincoln's oratory as somewhat high-pitched, reedy, maybe even nasally. He was a Midwesterner, after all ;) Sot that part of Lewis' depiction is probably historically accurate, or somewhat so.

The credits at the end of the trailer say it the movie is based on Doris Kearns Goodwin's book Team of Rivals. Anyone here familiar with that yet?

Strike that last 'graph. Apparently it's set for release next month to coincide with the movie a month later.