PDA

View Full Version : Trakus data

Tom
09-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Heard an interesting discussion on Byk yesterday, about Trakus doing jockey efficiency studies using the ground traveled part of their data to rate over a large sample which jockeys are riding closest to averages by post that they calculated.

The part I like best, is that they did some studies on PP ground loss. At 5.5 and 6.0 furlongs at Delmar, they found that the difference between the 1 hole and the 12 hole was, and this is from memory, about 2.5 lengths. At Woodbine, 1m16, the diff from rail to 12 hole was 6.5 lengths.

I have to listen to the segment again to get the website where it is published.

rubicon55
09-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Tom, if you could be nice enough to post a link when you get it that would be appreciated, those would be valuable figures. Thanks in advance.

Tom
09-14-2012, 03:30 PM
I'll dig it out tonight - they talk about it on Byk's show Thursday, in the half hour just before Tony Black comes on.

InControlX
09-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Tom,

Have you examined Trakus race data? I toyed with the published Trakus 100 meter calls for the Dubai World Cup (2012) and noticed when the splits are plotted out the plot is near perfectly linear, ie, each split is run at the nearly the same pace. I know this can't be correct, and wonder if they perform some sort of linearization for whatever purpose. What I wanted to see is the raw timing data but I'm not familiar with Trakus data formats.

ICX

cj
09-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Tom,

Have you examined Trakus race data? I toyed with the published Trakus 100 meter calls for the Dubai World Cup (2012) and noticed when the splits are plotted out the plot is near perfectly linear, ie, each split is run at the nearly the same pace. I know this can't be correct, and wonder if they perform some sort of linearization for whatever purpose. What I wanted to see is the raw timing data but I'm not familiar with Trakus data formats.

ICX

Since they don't race on dirt, that could very well be accurate.

PatCummings
09-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Heard an interesting discussion on Byk yesterday, about Trakus doing jockey efficiency studies using the ground traveled part of their data to rate over a large sample which jockeys are riding closest to averages by post that they calculated.

The part I like best, is that they did some studies on PP ground loss. At 5.5 and 6.0 furlongs at Delmar, they found that the difference between the 1 hole and the 12 hole was, and this is from memory, about 2.5 lengths. At Woodbine, 1m16, the diff from rail to 12 hole was 6.5 lengths.

I have to listen to the segment again to get the website where it is published.

Tom and others -

Trakus has done this for a few tracks recently, and published results in our blog at the FollowHorseRacing.com site, and I've linked several of them at the bottom of the post. As you recounted, we did this for Woodbine's 8.5F Poly races last season, and Del Mar's 2011 and 2012 meets. The DMR study in 2011 was more of a combined effort over three different distances (5.5-P, 8F-P, 8F-T) whereas the 2012 was just a focus on two sprinting poly distances. We will have some Keeneland data that combines the last four meets coming out before the start of the meet.

There is no doubt that larger sample sizes are more meaningful - and a lone review of roughly 1,100 starters from the 2012 Del Mar meet is relatively small. The Keeneland data will be twice as large as the recent Del Mar data. All that said, we are just getting going with some added analysis and welcome comments, suggestions, etc.

Del Mar 2012 - http://www.followhorseracing.com/en/the-latest/blogs/2012/09/11/aaron-gryder-leads-del-mar-trakus-data/

Del Mar 2011 - http://www.followhorseracing.com/en/the-latest/blogs/2012/07/11/trakus-spotting-ground-saving-riders/

Woodbine 2011 - http://www.followhorseracing.com/en/the-latest/blogs/2012/08/09/trakus-blog-examining-jockey-performance-at-woodbine/

Itamaraca
09-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Here's a suggestion, Pat:

how about making the data available rather than sitting on it?

Tom
09-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks, Pat.....interesting stuff here.