PDA

View Full Version : Week 2 NFL picks

Valuist
09-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Chicago +6

Thursday games all season. Gotta love it.

week 1: 4-0

Marshall Bennett
09-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Generous spread. I want in on that, too. Bears should win this game.
Bears +6

Striker
09-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Chicago +6

Great Week 1 Valu! Jennings is doubtful for tonight as he has killed the Bears in the past, Tillman is questionable. This has the makings of a shootout.

Valuist
09-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Great Week 1 Valu! Jennings is doubtful for tonight as he has killed the Bears in the past, Tillman is questionable. This has the makings of a shootout.

Yes it does but we know the Packers can't run. Rodgers will have to dink and dunk his way. I'm sure he will get his 300 yards but I think the Bears are gonna be able to get some red zone stops. And on the other side, the Bears really upgraded their red zone offensive capabilities with additions of two 6'4" wideouts (one a perennial Pro Bowl player) and Michael Bush.

pandy
09-13-2012, 02:03 PM
I picked the Bears, too; good luck to us.

DigitalDownsJoe
09-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Buffalo -3

Balt -2.5

Tenn +6

Marshall Bennett
09-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Bills -3
Ravens +2.5
Dolphins +2
Seahawks +3
Jets +5.5

This week : 0-1

Valuist
09-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Chicago +6

week 1: 4-0 week 2: 0-1 so far

Indy/Minn OVER 45 1/2
Indianapolis +3 why is Minn laying points on the road to anyone?
Baltimore +3
Dallas/Seattle UNDER 42 1/2
Denver +3

Robert Fischer
09-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Baltimore +3

i know they are @ Lincoln field , but this seems too obvious

headhawg
09-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Last week 1 - 2

SD -6.5
Dal -3
Bal +3

Robert Fischer
09-16-2012, 01:25 PM
already 7-0 Philly

i'm jinxed

cj
09-16-2012, 04:33 PM
While the refs did get the call about the fumble right in the Eagles/Ravens game, how was that not intentional grounding? The head ref totally botched both calls on that play and it may very well determine the outcome.

The replacement refs weren't "too bad" in Week 1, but they have been awful all around the league today.

cj's dad
09-16-2012, 06:39 PM
THE REPLACEMENT REFS ARE AWFUL

cj
09-16-2012, 06:45 PM
THE REPLACEMENT REFS ARE AWFUL

The offensive interference that took away a TD that would have clinched the game was horrendous as well. Terrible calls all over the league today, much worse than the regular guys.

PhantomOnTour
09-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Week 1 (a Ravens victory): Flacco is great!
Week 2 (a Ravens loss): the refs suck!

the silliness truly never ends :D

cj
09-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Week 1 (a Ravens victory): Flacco is great!
Week 2 (a Ravens loss): the refs suck!

the silliness truly never ends :D

With which of those calls do you disagree? Mind you, I'm not a Ravens fan.

Robert Fischer
09-16-2012, 07:36 PM
A couple bad calls went against the Ravens.

elysiantraveller
09-16-2012, 09:26 PM
They have been worse this week. San Fran was just able to run a play after the game clock expired.

headhawg
09-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Last week 1 - 2

SD -6.5
Dal -3
Bal +3This week 2 - 1; season-to-date 3 - 3

cj's dad
09-17-2012, 08:49 AM
My son is a NY Giants fan- he has no dog in the fight.

If you saw the game you would know he is right.

Robert Fischer
09-17-2012, 08:57 AM
the Seahawks played last night :jump:, like I thought they would in week1 :bang:. One of their biggest steps was targeting TE McCoy. He's a weapon and using the TE also compliments their offense.

Arizona who edged Seattle in week 1, is now 2-0 after upsetting New England. Kolb should only do better as the season progresses, but next week @ home vs his former team Philly will be a mini media circus.

with 49ers, Cardinals, and Seahawks the NFC West is one of the early surprises.

Robert Fischer
09-17-2012, 09:09 AM
My son is a NY Giants fan- he has no dog in the fight.

If you saw the game you would know he is right.

It looked to me like a few bad calls cost the Ravens the game.

They clearly were the better team that day. However, the Ravens probably could have won in spite of the bad calls if they had been sharper.

As a Steeler fan, Baltimore looks like the leader in the division at this point.

melman
09-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Let's take a look at some stats for the Eagles/Ravens game.

First Half
Flacco passing 14 of 17 for 92 yards 1 TD 0 INT
Second Half
Flacco passing 8 of 25 for 140 yards 0 TD 1 INT
First Half
Ray Rice rushing 7 carries for 78 yards
Second Half
Ray Rice rushing 9 carries for 21 yards

What they had different ref's in the 2nd half??

MORE Full game stats

First downs Eagles 26 Ravens 17
Rushing yards Eagles 129 Ravens 111
Passing yards Eagles 357 Ravens 217

Yards Penalied
Eagles 7 for 56 yards Ravens 6 for 45

Plus the Eagles had 4 turnovers in the game. Three of them in the red zone.

Rare for a team in the NFL to do that and still win.

I agree wiht the Eagles LeSean McCoy who said "Was it noticeable today? What about last week? The good thing is the other team has to play with the same refs".

melman
09-17-2012, 10:38 AM
BTW I am NOT an Eagles fan. I don't like the owner, I don't like the head coach and I think Mike Vick is wildly overrated. Yes Vick makes the highlight film plays that Sports Center loves. He also has some great games. But he also turns the ball over a lot. Some very bad int's. I rate him just a little better than average. Would much rather have Joe Flacco as my starting QB.

Valuist
09-17-2012, 10:47 AM
I can't necessarily argue with the officiating aspects in the Balt/Phil game. While I did have money on Baltimore, I'm not a fan of either team. But when you force two red zone turnovers and still end up on the losing side, you really can't squawk too much.

melman
09-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Val---That was three red zone turnovers by the Eagles. And somehow they still won. Also Mike Quick a former All Pro WR was working the game as color man for the Eagles broadcast. He said repeatedly during the first half "the Ravens wide outs are pushing off a lot to get open". Yes the ref's did a bad job but it works both ways. Also Val while watching a NFL game I always attempt to listen to it on radio. I dislike the network guys so much.

cj
09-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Val---That was three red zone turnovers by the Eagles. And somehow they still won. Also Mike Quick a former All Pro WR was working the game as color man for the Eagles broadcast. He said repeatedly during the first half "the Ravens wide outs are pushing off a lot to get open". Yes the ref's did a bad job but it works both ways. Also Val while watching a NFL game I always attempt to listen to it on radio. I dislike the network guys so much.

Everyone likes to listen to the home team announcers, though of course they are biased.

melman
09-17-2012, 11:28 AM
You think that Mike Quick was biased in saying that about the Ravens receivers in the first half? Also far and away the huge majority of fans that I know listen to the network guys. How else do you explain the networks paying billions for the broadcast rights and the home team radio guys getting chump change for the games. Yes I think the replacement ref's did a bad job. On both sides of the ball. The Ravens were outgained in total yardage, the Eagles had three turnovers in the red zone yet still won. The Ravens got the ball back with 1:55 left in the 4th q. Plus 2 time outs. Plenty of time to get in position to kick a game winning field goal. They failed to do so. Where the ref's to blame for that also?

cj
09-17-2012, 11:36 AM
You think that Mike Quick was biased in saying that about the Ravens receivers in the first half? Also far and away the huge majority of fans that I know listen to the network guys. How else do you explain the networks paying billions for the broadcast rights and the home team radio guys getting chump change for the games. Yes I think the replacement ref's did a bad job. On both sides of the ball. The Ravens were outgained in total yardage, the Eagles had three turnovers in the red zone yet still won. The Ravens got the ball back with 1:55 left in the 4th q. Plus 2 time outs. Plenty of time to get in position to kick a game winning field goal. They failed to do so. Where the ref's to blame for that also?

A lot of people don't do it because it is a hassle, and these days the timing is off between the radio and the TV. That doesn't mean people don't tend to like to listen to their home team guys. Are they biased? Of course they are. Any announcer that is paid by the team is going to have some bias built in. I've lived all over the country (including Philly) and I've never heard local announcers that weren't biased in any sport, pro or college.

The refs weren't to blame for the last drive. I'm not sure why you ask, I never implied anything of the sort. What I implied was the last drive shouldn't have mattered. Maybe the Eagles would have scored on 4th and Goal from the 11 as it should have been, but I doubt it.

melman
09-17-2012, 11:45 AM
First you say EVERYONE likes to listen to the home team announcers. Then you change it to well it's a hassle. Maybe the fact that the Eagles outgained the Ravens in the game should not have mattered. Only one or two plays matter in the course of a game is that what your saying? I'll say again I am NOT a Eagles fan. Want to see an ownership change and a coaching change for the Eagles. But the ref's were bad for both teams.

melman
09-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Also cj the Eagles Brent Celek was wide open all day. Even if it was 4th and 11 he might still have had yet another catch. Celek 8 catches for 157 yards. Yet you imply only that the Ravens got bad calls.
Also Jackson had 7 catches for 114 yards. Think the Ravens could have done a better job on pass defense?? Nah it was those lousy ref's on a couple of calls.

Jay Trotter
09-17-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm in an NFL Survivor pool and with the New England loss only 13 of 72 remain standing after "freakin'" Week 2! :bang: Sheesh!

cj
09-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Also cj the Eagles Brent Celek was wide open all day. Even if it was 4th and 11 he might still have had yet another catch. Celek 8 catches for 157 yards. Yet you imply only that the Ravens got bad calls.
Also Jackson had 7 catches for 114 yards. Think the Ravens could have done a better job on pass defense?? Nah it was those lousy ref's on a couple of calls.

I never said those calls were the only reason they lost. Yet despite all the things you mention, the game was over without the terrible offensive interference call. Obviously you are biased here, and that is fine. I'm sure I'd be the same way if the Giants were involved.

Valuist
09-17-2012, 01:35 PM

It could've been 3. I'm trying to watch all the games on Red Zone so I can't catch everything.

But I would take anything said by a former player with a grain of salt. Quick is a former Eagle so he's probably biased for them and he was a WR so he probably focuses more on that area. I'm not saying that it wasn't the case, but we have to take into account who is making that claim.

cj
09-17-2012, 01:58 PM
It could've been 3. I'm trying to watch all the games on Red Zone so I can't catch everything.

But I would take anything said by a former player with a grain of salt. Quick is a former Eagle so he's probably biased for them and he was a WR so he probably focuses more on that area. I'm not saying that it wasn't the case, but we have to take into account who is making that claim.

I also believe that the replacement officials are letting a whole lot more physical play go on against wide receivers, much more than last year. So, I don't doubt that receivers are pushing off as well.

But the point is they had all game to make that call and didn't do it, but chose to do it at the very end. That is horrible officiating on any level in any sport. You have to at least be consistent.

melman
09-17-2012, 03:34 PM
The old fall back position from cj. It's "obvious" that I am biased here. Despite two posts by me that I am not an Eagles fan. How lame. I can just as well say that dispite your attempts to say your not a Ravens fan you really don't mean it. So your a Giants fan does that not mean you can also be a Ravens fan. Seems to me from posts in the past whenever the Ravens lose to the Steelers it's "bad calls" by the ref's. And that was with the regular ref's working the games. You don't know if the Eagles would have scored on 4th and 11 anymore than I do. Yet you seem to take that for granted. Why didn't Ray Lewis stop Vick from running into the end zone for an easy score? Why did the Ravens give up so much passing yardage? You don't answer any of that it's just the old blame the ref's game. And yes I have also said a few times that the replacement ref's are bad. For BOTH teams. Which of course you brush off with "I'M biased".

melman
09-17-2012, 03:38 PM

Fair enough Val but Quick has been a very harsh critic of the Eagles play calling and time management. He is not your average homer. Three turnovers in the red zone by the Eagles and some want to blame it all on the ref's.

cj
09-17-2012, 05:23 PM
The old fall back position from cj. It's "obvious" that I am biased here. Despite two posts by me that I am not an Eagles fan. How lame. I can just as well say that dispite your attempts to say your not a Ravens fan you really don't mean it. So your a Giants fan does that not mean you can also be a Ravens fan. Seems to me from posts in the past whenever the Ravens lose to the Steelers it's "bad calls" by the ref's. And that was with the regular ref's working the games. You don't know if the Eagles would have scored on 4th and 11 anymore than I do. Yet you seem to take that for granted. Why didn't Ray Lewis stop Vick from running into the end zone for an easy score? Why did the Ravens give up so much passing yardage? You don't answer any of that it's just the old blame the ref's game. And yes I have also said a few times that the replacement ref's are bad. For BOTH teams. Which of course you brush off with "I'M biased".

I don't think I've posted much about the Steelers and Ravens games. If I have, it was just as a football fan. I watch at least a bit of most of the games. I can be objective about the Ravens because I have no connection to them other than my father and brothers root for them. I guess I should be against the Eagles as a Giants fan, but after all these years it is a little tough to take them seriously. I worry about the Cowboys and Redskins a lot more.

I already said I don't know if the Eagles would have scored on 4th and 11, so I'm not sure why you've said the same thing twice that echoes exactly what I said. The odds are certainly not nearly as good as 3rd and 1 from the 1 though, not even close.

I also said the replacement refs were bad around the league this week. In any game there are bad calls on both sides. That doesn't mean that some don't change the game more than others. Both of those I mentioned were crucial plays with highly questionable calls, and little time to overcome them. The Ravens had the opportunity to do so and certainly didn't play very well, so I'm not blaming everything on the refs.

I'm not sure how three turnovers in the red zone is some sort of fallback for the Eagles. They turned the ball over, nobody else. Judging by the first week and last year, that isn't some fluke. It is SOP.

Robert Fischer
09-17-2012, 06:23 PM
I like Denver to win tonight straight up.

the line is -3.

I think Denver's defense will be strong.

Robert Fischer
09-17-2012, 10:02 PM
may be time to make an offer to the real Referees.

Striker
09-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Tonights officiating crew is just awful.

dav4463
09-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Everybody wants to blame the referees, but they need to be blaming the coaches who do not control their players. All the refs can do is penalize those who get out of line. They cannot physically stop them from fighting after the play is over. The coaches let the players get out of control because they themselves are bitching about the calls. If the regular refs were there, they would still bitch, but not as much. They are using the replacement refs as scapegoats...someone to blame when things don't go their way. Players follow coach's example.

cj
09-18-2012, 12:27 AM
Everybody wants to blame the referees, but they need to be blaming the coaches who do not control their players. All the refs can do is penalize those who get out of line. They cannot physically stop them from fighting after the play is over. The coaches let the players get out of control because they themselves are bitching about the calls. If the regular refs were there, they would still bitch, but not as much. They are using the replacement refs as scapegoats...someone to blame when things don't go their way. Players follow coach's example.

Really? Who is blaming refs for flags thrown for fighting after the whistle?

Pace Cap'n
09-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Announcers were blaming the refs for losing control of the game.

rastajenk
09-18-2012, 08:12 AM
I couldn't hang with it. Three replay reviews and a rumble after a fumble was just too ugly to watch, and that was in the first 16 minutes of play. A poor display from all concerned, players, coaches and refs. I can't see it getting better very soon.

Valuist
09-18-2012, 08:24 AM
week 1: 4-0 week 2: 0-1 so far

Indy/Minn OVER 45 1/2
Indianapolis +3 why is Minn laying points on the road to anyone?
Baltimore +3
Dallas/Seattle UNDER 42 1/2
Denver +3

week 2: 3-3 YTD: 7-3

Marshall Bennett
09-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Bills -3
Ravens +2.5
Dolphins +2
Seahawks +3
Jets +5.5

This week/season : 4-2

Striker
09-18-2012, 03:02 PM
The fact that these refs are messing up some very obvious calls is the biggest concern to me. One example from last night was a pass interference call on Denver where the ball was CLEARLY deflected by a Denver player, thus there is no interference on that play. Denver had to use a challenge on this play and it was overturned. Of course these situations will occur from time to time in any sport but I have seen more of these types of calls in the first two weeks of the NFL season that I can recall in a long time.

cj
09-18-2012, 04:30 PM
The fact that these refs are messing up some very obvious calls is the biggest concern to me. One example from last night was a pass interference call on Denver where the ball was CLEARLY deflected by a Denver player, thus there is no interference on that play. Denver had to use a challenge on this play and it was overturned. Of course these situations will occur from time to time in any sport but I have seen more of these types of calls in the first two weeks of the NFL season that I can recall in a long time.

There was another near the end of the game where Decker was mugged in the end zone with no other players near, yet nothing was called. These guys are really lost on the pass plays.

Valuist
09-18-2012, 04:58 PM
There was another near the end of the game where Decker was mugged in the end zone with no other players near, yet nothing was called. These guys are really lost on the pass plays.

Last night's game was getting to be unwatchable. Almost 2 hours for a first half? Getting to be like a college game when an all-passing team plays. My attention span doesn't last longer than about 3 hours.

cj
09-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Last night's game was getting to be unwatchable. Almost 2 hours for a first half? Getting to be like a college game when an all-passing team plays. My attention span doesn't last longer than about 3 hours.

Is there anything worse than the score, TD or FG, followed by a commercial break, then the kickoff, then another commercial break? When it happens near the end of the quarter, or before a video review, it is ridiculous. You get 10 minutes of commercials with two plays mixed in.

Striker
09-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Yeah guy grabbed the inside of Decker's pads in the end zone and Decker pleaded his case and got nothing. That one wasn't as obvious as some others. So far IMO, there is absolutely no consistency in what is/isn't pass interference right now.

Marshall Bennett
09-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Is there anything worse than the score, TD or FG, followed by a commercial break, then the kickoff, then another commercial break? When it happens near the end of the quarter, or before a video review, it is ridiculous. You get 10 minutes of commercials with two plays mixed in.
Not any worse than the last minutes of a stupid basketball game.

cj
09-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Not any worse than the last minutes of a stupid basketball game.

I've watched plenty of basketball, and I agree the timeouts get old. But I've never seen a 10 minute span with nothing but a tip-off.

rastajenk
09-19-2012, 06:17 AM
Is there anything worse than the score, TD or FG, followed by a commercial break, then the kickoff, then another commercial break? When it happens near the end of the quarter, or before a video review, it is ridiculous. You get 10 minutes of commercials with two plays mixed in.I've been railing about this for years. Especially in bad weather games. Why make your live attendees suffer endless timeouts in bitter cold or driving rain just so couch potatoes can see another string of cell phone/car/beer/you name it ads yet again?

Ratings might actually go UP, increasing the worth of an ad, if games could be over in 3 hrs or less.

headhawg
09-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Nothing will change unless fans stop tuning in. Even with the replacement refs and longer games I doubt that the ratings have suffered. I quit watching Monday's game at the half so I guess that I did my part. Football should not be that aggravating to watch.

cj
09-23-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure how three turnovers in the red zone is some sort of fallback for the Eagles. They turned the ball over, nobody else. Judging by the first week and last year, that isn't some fluke. It is SOP.

Like I said, SOP for the Eagles.

cj
09-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Man, these officials are getting worse and worse. I haven't seen much that had a big impact on the game, but only because the calls are able to be corrected via replay. Unfortunately, I've seen about 100 booth reviews today which would explain why the games are going about 4 hours.

Pace Cap'n
09-23-2012, 08:57 PM
That's what happens when almost every play is reviewable.

What exactly do we need the officials for now anyway? Just one guy with a whistle and review every play. Game shouldn't take more that 6-7 hours.

cj
09-23-2012, 09:06 PM

What exactly do we need the officials for now anyway? Just one guy with a whistle and review every play. Game shouldn't take more that 6-7 hours.

In this case though, without the review system, the games would be a farce. These guys are getting worse instead of better.

cj
09-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Wow, this has to be as bad as officiating can possibly be.

PhantomOnTour
09-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Well, they did get the game winning FG right; that ball went thru the uprights.
Nice comeback by the Ravens tonight

Marshall Bennett
09-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Wow, this has to be as bad as officiating can possibly be.
We're fully understanding your grief by now, but what is the alternative, fire them all and quit playing football?

cj
09-24-2012, 10:05 AM
We're fully understanding your grief by now, but what is the alternative, fire them all and quit playing football?

Get the real refs back. Any official is going to make mistakes, but the administrative part that is causing these games to go so long is out of hand.

Tom
09-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Well, they did get the game winning FG right; that ball went thru the uprights.
Nice comeback by the Ravens tonight

Through them, or over one? :D

Tom
09-24-2012, 11:10 AM

What game was it, there were 5 or 6 reviews, and ALL the filed calls were overturned. Why not just automatically overturn them all and save time?

cj
09-24-2012, 11:37 AM
What game was it, there were 5 or 6 reviews, and ALL the filed calls were overturned. Why not just automatically overturn them all and save time?

Which game? It was MOST of them!