PDA

View Full Version : Peterson

Valuist
09-12-2012, 09:39 AM
IMO, the biggest shock of the weekend wasn't RG3, wasn't the Niners dominating the Packers, or the Giants and Saints losing at home. It had to be the performance of Adrian Peterson. Basically 8 months removed from ACL and MCL surgery, he goes out carries nearly 20 times for solid yardage and 2 TDs. The guy is an absolute freak of nature.

So he's played, what 5 full seasons going into this year? Where would you rank AP on the list of all-time great RBs? I never saw Jim Brown play. Since I started watching the NFL in the early 70s, these are the top backs (chronologically) that I've seen: Simpson, Payton, Campbell, Dickerson, Smith, Sanders, Tomlinson and Peterson. IMO, physically Peterson most closely resembles Simpson. Both are 6'2", so they have a higher center of gravity than most RBs. They both had great elusiveness for their size. But I don't remember Simpson being able to absolutely blow up DBs the way AP does. Most elusive overall? Clearly Sanders. Most punishing? Campbell. Best at the goal line: Payton, due to his leaping ability. Best receiver? Tomlinson. Most physically gifted? Peterson.

Robert Fischer
09-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Amazing Comeback by Peterson.
He really combines elite work ethic with elite natural ability in a way that few ever have.

I like Ray Rice a lot as a running back. Even without the dramatic elusive lateral moves, he reminds me a lot of Barry Sanders.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2771/4542517541_03bd524620.jpg

Striker
09-12-2012, 02:57 PM
I remember watching something on ESPN before the season started and they were interviewing doctors and therapists that were working with Peterson. They said they had never seen anyone be able to do what he was doing in the rehab exercises so quickly and with the speed and power he was displaying.

Marshall Bennett
09-12-2012, 03:36 PM
So he's played, what 5 full seasons going into this year? Where would you rank AP on the list of all-time great RBs?
Hard to rank against the greats with only 5 seasons under his belt. He wouldn't be in my top 10 or perhaps even 20 at this stage none the less.
Many would argue Gale Sayers might have been the greatest had his career not been cut short. With only a handful of seasons, his name is seldom mentioned with the greats.
In my opinion, Simpson and Dickerson were the best pure running backs. Speed always prevails. No one could ever go from a standstill to full sprint faster than Dickerson. Some were faster, but none got to their full stride quicker.

Stillriledup
09-12-2012, 06:44 PM
AD is the proper nickname for this guy, glad to see him back and running well!

Bettowin
09-12-2012, 07:15 PM
As much as I dislike the Bears I have to put Payton up there with the best I have seen since 1970. Peterson just became the Vikings all time leading rusher and if he can keep it up for another 5 years he will rank up there in the top 10 for sure.

ElKabong
09-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Many would argue Gale Sayers might have been the greatest had his career not been cut short.

I would be one of those. He was the best I ever saw, as in there was more distance between him and anyone else in the league when he played prior to injury. Did things no one ever saw before