PDA

View Full Version : Refused to start

FantasticDan
09-11-2012, 11:33 PM
6yo gelding Relatively Ready's racing career got off to a promising in 2008.. after breaking his maiden on the SAR turf, he finished 3rd in the Grade 3 Pilgrim Stakes at Belmont, followed by a 5th place finish in the Breeder's Cup Juvenile Turf..

But things never really clicked after that, and RR found himself at Finger Lakes clunking around in claimers by 2010, and he's been there ever since racing steadily with poor to middling results, winning only a couple times..

Yet another start on Aug. 24, but RR decided he wasn't interested in racing that day. Stood quietly in the gate as the doors opened. Refused to start.

Back in the gate today.. doors open! RR stands there again, no reaction whatsoever. Sorry boys, have fun without me.. I ain't runnin'. Stewards review, another refusal to start.

My question: is there a typical protocol for how many times a track will allow this to happen before taking action? The horse is passing his pre-race vet exam, which I'm guessing has now become a bit more thorough given these incidents. But even given that, the horse is clearly not interested in this game anymore..

turninforhome10
09-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Remember a horse that Larry Jones had years ago that was a bad starter. The tracks in KY blackballed him. He ended up at Prairie Meadows and did the same thing in his first start. He was allowed to start again and won.
In all, It is up to the starter at the track in question to say no more and go find someplace else to run.

Milkshaker
09-12-2012, 12:34 AM
At some tracks, the issue of ruling a horse off has a lot more to do with not wanting to reduce an anemic horse population by one fewer potential entry.

This used to be only at smaller backwater joints, but not any more.

Stillriledup
09-12-2012, 03:34 AM
There was a horse in California a few years ago that refused to start a few times, i think Doug O"neill claimed him and came up with a theory on how to get the horse to break....he worked with Gary Brinson and Gary's crew and i think they not only loaded this horse last, but the split second he went in the gate the opened the stall doors as the horse was still moving forward. I guess they figured that once the horse stood in there he wasnt going to move.

I just can't remember the name of the horse at this point.

Scanman
09-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Sounds like the type to try over fences (flag start). Maybe he just doesn't like the gate.

FantasticDan
09-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Sounds like the type to try over fences (flag start). Maybe he just doesn't like the gate.He's had 43 starts, it's never been an issue until the last two. He's no trouble to load.

I was at Saratoga when he broke his maiden, I had the TRI. He's been in my stable since, and since he shipped to my hometrack, FL, I've kept an eye on him..

Track Collector
09-12-2012, 01:45 PM
If memory serves me correctly, the infamous Zippy Chippy was banned from his home track Finger Lakes after 3-consecutive dwelt/refused to start races.

Zippy had kind of a cult following, and despite remaining forever winless, he often received a sizable amount of win pool money.

After his banning, he started a number of times at the 3-County Fair in Northampton, MA. Coming out of the gate there was not a problem..........until after about the first 10-15 feet. :D

Giving Zippy his due, one race he ran his heart out, missing the win less than 6 inches.

FantasticDan
09-12-2012, 01:54 PM
If memory serves me correctly, the infamous Zippy Chippy was banned from his home track Finger Lakes after 3-consecutive dwelt/refused to start races.Yes, thank you! I knew I recalled somebody at FL being banned for refusing - what was I thinking not remembering Zippy.. :D

therussmeister
09-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Sounds like the type to try over fences (flag start). Maybe he just doesn't like the gate.
Or maybe he really, really loves the gate.

v j stauffer
09-13-2012, 02:41 AM
6yo gelding Relatively Ready's racing career got off to a promising in 2008.. after breaking his maiden on the SAR turf, he finished 3rd in the Grade 3 Pilgrim Stakes at Belmont, followed by a 5th place finish in the Breeder's Cup Juvenile Turf..

But things never really clicked after that, and RR found himself at Finger Lakes clunking around in claimers by 2010, and he's been there ever since racing steadily with poor to middling results, winning only a couple times..

Yet another start on Aug. 24, but RR decided he wasn't interested in racing that day. Stood quietly in the gate as the doors opened. Refused to start.

Back in the gate today.. doors open! RR stands there again, no reaction whatsoever. Sorry boys, have fun without me.. I ain't runnin'. Stewards review, another refusal to start.

My question: is there a typical protocol for how many times a track will allow this to happen before taking action? The horse is passing his pre-race vet exam, which I'm guessing has now become a bit more thorough given these incidents. But even given that, the horse is clearly not interested in this game anymore..

In California he'll almost always be asked to leave after the 2nd refusal. There have been a few rare cases when another chance was given. Rare indeed though. As stewards we would feel if the horse did it a 3rd time we could have avoided the public losing money on a chronic offender.

turninforhome10
09-13-2012, 03:22 AM
I will say this though, sometimes given the right horse and a little horsemanship, the results can be very positive. Alleged and the work of Monty Roberts to get the outlaw to behave with the blanket to win 2 arcs.
We used a blanket on a wee little mare 15.0 hands and 800 lbs soaking wet.
We had one chance to get here right after we claimed her for $2500. Took her back to the farm and get all the bad acting cleaned up and then sent her back to the track. Figured out she was so bad because she was so small and liked to fish her way out when the cold steel rubbed on he sides. After the second failed attempt at gate schooling we ran out of options. A buddy who was on the gate crew put in good word and we got a chance to try one more time with the blanket. She stood like an angel times 2. Not bad for a thoroughbred who needed a "flipping halter" to be trusted before. She ran 2nd his first time out for $3500 and win n1Y for $3500. Was very happy as she showed positive roi for the 6 months I owned her. http://www.pedigreequery.com/sweep+n+the+night

v j stauffer
09-13-2012, 11:07 AM
There was a horse in California a few years ago that refused to start a few times, i think Doug O"neill claimed him and came up with a theory on how to get the horse to break....he worked with Gary Brinson and Gary's crew and i think they not only loaded this horse last, but the split second he went in the gate the opened the stall doors as the horse was still moving forward. I guess they figured that once the horse stood in there he wasnt going to move.

I just can't remember the name of the horse at this point.

Pretty sure you're trying to remember Public Image. He was a repeat offender that did get a third chance. Both Doug O'Neill and Gary Brinson did amazing work with him.

As for springing the gate as he was moving forward. Don't think that would ever be used as a remedy. Either they do it right or they are barred.

You may have been thinking of Dave's Revenge. Something similar happened with her but it wasn't by design.