PDA

View Full Version : Is there a software that computes ability times?

trying2win
01-20-2004, 03:01 PM
--Can someone tell me if there is a handicapping software on the market, that computes ability times (a.k.a. turn times) for at least a horse's last three sprint races listed in his past performances?
If there is, I'd be grateful to know. Thank you.

Trying2win

JimG
01-20-2004, 03:05 PM
I don't use it but I believe Fast Fred Pro does. www.kangagold.com

Ability times as defined by William Scott are also found in software by Mat Thomas ( www.itsdata.com ) and All-Ways ( www.frandsen.com )

trying2win
01-20-2004, 03:12 PM
JimG,

--I just happen to have an old copy of Fast Fred Pro that I haven't used for a long time. I'll have to check out your suggestion.

Thanks,

Trying2win

cj
01-20-2004, 04:51 PM
Ability times by who's definition? Scott, Mitchell, or someone else? Whatever it is, if you can't find it, shoot me an email. I can write code to do that with DRF Formulator files in just a few minutes (pro bono.) I am pretty bored for the time being. If you use BRIS or TSN I can probably do it, but it may take a few days as I don't work with their files as often.

sq764
01-20-2004, 05:11 PM
I thought Thoro-net had ability times in it.. Maybe I was dreaming.

Derek2U
01-20-2004, 05:27 PM
im now gonna study CAL races from my db. prior i only did NY
tracks but because of the WR activity i'm now Goin West.
can ne1 give me a few starters. is ES vital here? etc etc ...
just want 2 know b4 i unravel my cal db.

headhawg
01-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Fast Fred Pro will give you turn times for up to the last eight(?) PPs, but not ability times as defined by either Mitchell or Scott.

HH

trying2win
01-21-2004, 03:40 AM
--Thanks to all for the info and offers of help on the ability time issue. I guess I won't need any help after all.

--What happened was, I was reading about an angle using ability times (i.e. turn times) and after reading it the first time, I thought I would have to use the best turn time amongst a horse's last three sprint races. Then I thought that would involve a lot of manual calculations, so I thought there might be a software program that would automatically calculate these turn times). Turns out (no pun intended), I only needed to examine a horse's last sprint race turn time. Then, examine it's last 3 sprint races to compare first call fractions, amongst a few other things. So, it's a reminder to myself of that old adage..."When all else fails, follow directions!"...or more precisely in this case, "Read the directions properly".

--Yes, I guess Fast Fred Pro does calculate turn times.

--I didn't realize that there was more than one definition of ability time (a.ka. turn time) amongst different handicapping authors. The turn time definition I was interested in, was "The difference in seconds between the 1st call and 2nd call of a sprint race, modified by lengths gained or lost."

Regards,

Trying2win

HTRFGuy
01-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by trying2win
--Can someone tell me if there is a handicapping software on the market, that computes ability times (a.k.a. turn times) for at least a horse's last three sprint races listed in his past performances?
If there is, I'd be grateful to know. Thank you.

Trying2win

HTRF Pace Handicapper computes ability time, or turn time, ranks the entries, averages all past performances selected and ranks the averages as well. In addition to turn time, you get ranks from start to first call and second call to finish. You can look at the shareware at HTRF (http://www.htrf.com) .

trying2win
01-24-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by HTRFGuy
HTRF Pace Handicapper computes ability time, or turn time, ranks the entries, averages all past performances selected and ranks the averages as well. In addition to turn time, you get ranks from start to first call and second call to finish. You can look at the shareware at HTRF (http://www.htrf.com) .

HTRFG,

--Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check it out.

Trying2win

Hammerhead
01-24-2004, 09:58 PM
I have found that Turn time works like most crap once and again but usually the first day you use it.
Anything works a little bit if the track you are handicapping just happens to have that type of bias for a week or so.
My insight is that it is doomed to failure after a week or two.
Make a filter in a spread sheet. If that fact alone does not produce at least a -5% return on 66% of the races dump it.