PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 thoughts

Valuist
09-10-2012, 11:37 AM
We don't want to overreact too much to week 1, which isn't even over yet, since its the equivalent to the first 10 games of an MLB season, or the first 5 games in the NBA or NHL seasons. But there were a few surprises, IMO.

I thought San Fran would be solid, but would take a step back after the big improvement last year. Its a textbook play, and the percentages are against most of those type teams. From what I saw, they went into GB, and absolutely manhandled a team off a 15-1 season. That game was not as close as the score indicated. Were they that good? Or is GB a team coming apart; an overconfident team? And other than Belichek, is there a better coach than Jim Harbaugh?

QB decisions---the coaches who made the decisions to start Ryan Tannenhill, Brandon Weedan and Russell Wilson have egg on their face. Matt Moore actually had a solid season in 2011 for Miami, and Seattle paid a lot to sign Matt Flynn. Flynn is still unproven, but basically has done little wrong in his 2 NFL starts. While Colt McCoy doesn't project to be Pro Bowl material, he does one thing well: he doesn't throw a lot of INTs. With almost any other 1st OR 2nd string QB playing yesterday, Cleveland wins that game.

Detroit looked bad. When you are life and death to beat St Louis at home, you have problems. Detroit is the classic example of a team who took a big step forward last year but could take a step back this year. I wasn't as surprised about the Saints, who were terrible defensively last year. That was another game not as close as the final score indicated. Brees looked terrible yesterday; as bad as I've seen him throw. Philly proved they still are a Jeckyl & Hyde team capable of letting even the worst of teams play them evenly.

Most impressive: San Fran, Dallas, New England, Atlanta and Washington. Probably have to put the Jets up there as well. Just goes to show how little pre-season means.

horses4courses
09-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Going into Green Bay and winning has to be the biggest achievement of Week 1.

The question is, how much of it is due to SF's strength, or is GB not as good as they were?
Probably a combination of both......

hugh
09-10-2012, 12:42 PM
My niners sure did look good. :jump:
Who would have thought Alex Smith would actually ammount to ANYTHING. They have a solid team built around him. Crabtree may have have a huge year and adding Moss will take attention away from Davis. Quite a recieving core. Gore is a grinder. I really don't see a weakness in this team. And how about that 63 yard field goal. Picking up Akers was a genius move.
That being said I think the entire nation will be on the Niners this week. The line will be soft. I'm circling this game. Looking at the Lions plus the points.
:ThmbUp:

Valuist
09-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Going into Green Bay and winning has to be the biggest achievement of Week 1.

The question is, how much of it is due to SF's strength, or is GB not as good as they were?
Probably a combination of both......

I was wondering the same thing. GB had an insane turnover differential last year, which figures to even out, at least to some extent. It masked giving up a ton of yardage defensively last year. They still have trouble running the ball. That is a tough D in SF, however. Everyone knows about Willis but Bowman is just as good, IMO. Frank Gore still can play, and just maybe, after all those coordinators, Alex Smith has figured things out. He had a strong QB rating last year, and is off to a good start this year.

horses4courses
09-10-2012, 12:53 PM
What impressed me most about the 49ers was that their offensive and defensive lines were manhandling the Packers for much of the game.
That does not bode well for Green Bay.
We'll see how Chicago does against them this week.

Valuist
09-10-2012, 01:03 PM
What impressed me most about the 49ers was that their offensive and defensive lines were manhandling the Packers for much of the game.
That does not bode well for Green Bay.
We'll see how Chicago does against them this week.

The quick turnaround does not bode well for them. Just not much time to fix problems with that quick turnaround. I know Joe Public is saying that there's no way the Packers can lose their first two at home, but it is a possibility.

horses4courses
09-10-2012, 01:12 PM
The quick turnaround does not bode well for them. Just not much time to fix problems with that quick turnaround. I know Joe Public is saying that there's no way the Packers can lose their first two at home, but it is a possibility.

Absolutely.
Go Bears!

Robert Fischer
09-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Steelers struck me as very much a blue-collar team.

they are as close to 7-9 as they are to 10-6.

Teams pass so much now that having 4 linebackers isn't always a strength.

On offense they have small quick receivers and it works well in the shotgun, but there aren't a lot of real stars after Big Ben.

Valuist
09-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Steelers struck me as very much a blue-collar team.

they are as close to 7-9 as they are to 10-6.

Teams pass so much now that having 4 linebackers isn't always a strength.

On offense they have small quick receivers and it works well in the shotgun, but there aren't a lot of real stars after Big Ben.

They look to me like a team w/a shaky offensive line. Defensively they clearly missed both Harrison and Clark. I'm not sold on Redmond. Think Mendenhall will be back within a week or two. No shortage of speed on the outside but as a Wallace owner in a fantasy league, he was basically a no-show last night. Think Big Ben is going to take a lot of hits this year.

MaTH716
09-10-2012, 02:00 PM
The fact that the Redskins with a rookie QB, went on the road (in one of the toughest stadiums in he league) and put the smackdown on the Saints is hands down the most impreesive thing I saw all weekend.

Robert Fischer
09-10-2012, 02:37 PM
They look to me like a team w/a shaky offensive line. Defensively they clearly missed both Harrison and Clark. I'm not sold on Redmond. Think Mendenhall will be back within a week or two. No shortage of speed on the outside but as a Wallace owner in a fantasy league, he was basically a no-show last night. Think Big Ben is going to take a lot of hits this year.

agree with this too.

RaceBookJoe
09-10-2012, 03:32 PM
As a Redskins fan, I am happy today. Still have my doubts about the Oline and the secondary..but a great win and hope for a franchise desperate for hope. Next up for the skins is a Rams team with a shaky oline..need to pressure the qb all game.

My bro-in-law is oline coach for the Broncos..thought the line and team looked ok, but they were playing a Pitt team without a few key players. Pitt oline might be an issue.

Jets surprised me, Falcons did good but lost a cb. Bills defense looked turrible even after all that money, plus they lost jackson for a month and nelson for the year. Eagles got lucky..never should have won that game. I like the Cowboys cb's. Nice to have football back in action though.

horses4courses
09-10-2012, 03:57 PM
The fact that the Redskins with a rookie QB, went on the road (in one of the toughest stadiums in he league) and put the smackdown on the Saints is hands down the most impreesive thing I saw all weekend.

I think you will find that the Saints will give up many points this year.

Valuist
09-10-2012, 05:10 PM
I think you will find that the Saints will give up many points this year.

Agreed. I didn't think they'd win more than 9 games this year and they may have to work to get that.

elysiantraveller
09-10-2012, 06:21 PM
....Detroit looked bad. When you are life and death to beat St Louis at home, you have problems. Detroit is the classic example of a team who took a big step forward last year but could take a step back this year. I wasn't as surprised about the Saints, who were terrible defensively last year. That was another game not as close as the final score indicated. Brees looked terrible yesterday; as bad as I've seen him throw. Philly proved they still are a Jeckyl & Hyde team capable of letting even the worst of teams play them evenly....

Lions will be fine. They moved at will against the Rams giving up two redzone turnovers. Bottom line in that game is Stafford played horrifically, they were -3 in turnover differential for 13 points, and still won. Thats not easy to do in the NFL unless you are really, really good.

Much better test next week.

Valuist
09-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Lions will be fine. They moved at will against the Rams giving up two redzone turnovers. Bottom line in that game is Stafford played horrifically, they were -3 in turnover differential for 13 points, and still won. Thats not easy to do in the NFL unless you are really, really good.

Much better test next week.

Good point about winning at -3 in turnover differential. But not all turnovers are equal. These weren't lucky fumble recoveries. They were terrible throws by Stafford, and he narrowly missed a 4th INT.

elysiantraveller
09-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Good point about winning at -3 in turnover differential. But not all turnovers are equal. These weren't lucky fumble recoveries. They were terrible throws by Stafford, and he narrowly missed a 4th INT.

I agree but Rodgers looked bad, Eli not great, Brees terrible and Alex Smith... yes Alex Smith looked great...

This year I'm downgrading:

Packers: Terrible on defense last year and didn't really improve.
Saints: Obvious reasons.
Steelers: Another team that didn't do anything to get better.

Upgrading:

Titans: Locker gets it going.
Eagles: A real defensive coordinator.
Bears: Cutler stays healthy.

I know I'm posting this after week 1 but...

pandy
09-10-2012, 11:27 PM
I agree with Valuist about Matt Moore in Miami and Flynn in Seattle, I don't see how these guys don't start, very strange indeed.

Dallas D improved sharply with their new corners, maybe they'll finally have a good season. Denver's defense looked quick and athletic and the pass defense was outstanding, the Steelers have fast receivers. 49ers obviously a big time team, but no surprise there. Chicago will be tough if the stay healthy this time.

Jets new offensive coordinator seemed to call a much more aggressive game but every time the Jets blow someone out it only lasts one game and then it's back to scoring 10 points a game so as a Jet fan I'm not convinced yet. Although Jets offensive line was amazing against a talented Buffalo defensive line and with Sanchez at QB they need great pass protection like that to have any chance of winning.

Not sure what the Eagles problem is.

MaTH716
09-11-2012, 09:39 AM
I agree with Valuist about Matt Moore in Miami and Flynn in Seattle, I don't see how these guys don't start, very strange indeed.

Dallas D improved sharply with their new corners, maybe they'll finally have a good season. Denver's defense looked quick and athletic and the pass defense was outstanding, the Steelers have fast receivers. 49ers obviously a big time team, but no surprise there. Chicago will be tough if the stay healthy this time.

Jets new offensive coordinator seemed to call a much more aggressive game but every time the Jets blow someone out it only lasts one game and then it's back to scoring 10 points a game so as a Jet fan I'm not convinced yet. Although Jets offensive line was amazing against a talented Buffalo defensive line and with Sanchez at QB they need great pass protection like that to have any chance of winning.

I don't think that team could win now with Joe Montana under center, so why not play the rookie and let him gain the expierence now?

I agree with you guys regarding Flynn, makes no sense.

cj
09-11-2012, 10:41 AM
I don't think that team could win now with Joe Montana under center...

I wouldn't think so either. He has to be at least 50 by now.

MaTH716
09-11-2012, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't think so either. He has to be at least 50 by now.

Well Played sir.

Valuist
09-11-2012, 11:47 AM
I don't think that team could win now with Joe Montana under center, so why not play the rookie and let him gain the expierence now?

I agree with you guys regarding Flynn, makes no sense.

Miami, despite their 6-10 record last year, actually outscored opponents by 16 pts for the season. They were 3rd in the NFL in run defense and held Houston to under 3 yards/carry on Sunday. Their pass D is average; certainly not the worst. Their biggest problems is lack of playmakers at WR after trading Marshall. Bush and Thomas aren't a bad tandem. It just looks like they are giving up. Never heard the scouts drooling over Tannenhill (or Weedan for that matter). With Tannenhill, I don't see Miami winning more than 3 games.

proximity
09-12-2012, 10:35 AM

coach reid with 56 passes and 7 more runs by vick in a tight game against the browns?

i watched colts-bears and it is going to be a long season for the colts.

the defense was more than holding its own until freeney got hurt. unfortunately that was very early and after that the bears just toyed with them.

the offensive line was horrible and although his accuracy wasn't the best, i actually did see a lot of potential in andrew luck. the bears were pretty much all over him but it seemed like he was reading the defense pretty good and finding open receivers.

reggie wayne was tremendous and made several great catches as did the bears.

Valuist
09-12-2012, 10:46 AM
coach reid with 56 passes and 7 more runs by vick in a tight game against the browns?

i watched colts-bears and it is going to be a long season for the colts.

the defense was more than holding its own until freeney got hurt. unfortunately that was very early and after that the bears just toyed with them.

the offensive line was horrible and although his accuracy wasn't the best, i actually did see a lot of potential in andrew luck. the bears were pretty much all over him but it seemed like he was reading the defense pretty good and finding open receivers.

reggie wayne was tremendous and made several great catches as did the bears.

It will be interesting to see Andrew Luck this week in his home opener. He's going up against one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL. And yet Minnesota is a road favorite. :confused:

Marshall Bennett
09-12-2012, 11:26 AM
I like taking the Ravens Sunday as 2.5 pt underdogs. :cool:

Tom
09-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Nice to see the Bills pick up right where they left off last year.
They have been in a re-building mode for a long now, and they finally realized they built a loser! :rolleyes:

PLEASE, don't sell out.....please! Let us watch REAL football in western NY.

precocity
09-12-2012, 03:18 PM
didn't see much talk about the cowboys on this thread yet? think they are going to kick some serious butt this year.who was that new running back for the giants number 94...... :lol:

Marshall Bennett
09-12-2012, 03:23 PM
I like the Seahawks Sunday as 3.5 pt underdogs. :cool:
I quit betting on Cowboy games a couple years ago, but couldn't resist this effort.

Robert Goren
09-12-2012, 03:41 PM
The Cowboys always look good at some point in every season.It is early. I have faith that they will come apart sometime during the season. The Ravens looked very good. The Pack and the Bears play tonight so we will know more about them tomorrow. The one team that I'd be worried about if I was one their fans is the saints. They have the look of a 6 win team right now. Coaches do matter.

PhantomOnTour
09-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Worst thing to happen to this franchise in the last 20yrs was winning the Super Bowl with Barry Switzer as head coach.
It was at that precise moment that Jerry Jones' ego blew up the size of Texas itself. He thought he was the smart guy and not the head coach or GM. Why wouldn't he? He just plugged in a total schmo as coach and they won it all.
Ever since then he's been an overbearing meddler, and the results speak for themself.
Do you Cowboys fans really believe in Dez Bryant and Romo?
Can't trust either one of them...good luck.

NJ Stinks
09-12-2012, 06:46 PM
The Browns-Eagles game was played in perfect weather - high 60's temps and winds less than 10 mph.

There were 9 turnovers in the game.

That this game never came close to going over 42 is amazing.