PDA

View Full Version : CALIFORNIA VS NEW YORK PICK SIX

delayjf
01-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Why is the pick six more popular in CA than in NY? Seems to me with their larger fields, they'd get more carry overs.

Buddha
01-19-2004, 02:30 PM
maybe that is exactly why NY isnt as popular. harder to hit means more lost money. i think that the big players wait til days like saturday when there is going to be 2 mil+ in the pools, and then take their chance at it. in cal, they have predictable weather, shorter fields to at least limit the possibilities, and less of a chance of losing lots of money.

delayjf
01-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Budda,

Perhaps your right, but what puzzels me is, I could see where large fields would keep the sydicates away until the pool grows, but the everyday bettor as well?? This weekend the pick six pools at Santa Anita were almost 300,000 each day. Including the same day of the 2.6 million carry-over in NY. While the biggest pool at Gulfstream was 21,000 and 45,000 at Aqueduct the day after.

Topcat
01-20-2004, 02:44 AM
I think it has to do with betting and marketing history . The pick 6 started in CA.

Sounds funny but historical "buying" can set a long term patterns .e.g. 3 # coffee sells better than in S. CA than Northern CA to this day- and it is because 30 years ago the coffee mfgs started running 3# coupons in S CA and not North (to take better advantage of double coupons prevalent in the South)

Valuist
01-21-2004, 01:35 PM
I agree w/Topcat. I think until recently, they didn't have much in the way of trifecta or superfecta wagering either. And remember the days of $5 exactas? Since their wasn't much in the way of exotic wagering, Californians must've greeted the Pic 6 w/open arms. Oaklawn was kind of the same way; it wasn't that long ago that the only gimmick they offered besides their "Classix" was a daily double on the first and 2nd races. Hard to believe but true.