PDA

View Full Version : Tom (diet)

jognlope
09-01-2012, 10:46 AM
How much did you lose with no bread?

I have a problem with hunger at bedtime, tossed and turned until 5:30 am just because I was hungry, then had a piece of bread with milk.

So cutting back on bread all day, then right before bed allowing one piece.

Anyway now they got ya coming and going. I'm at about 28% BMI so I'm at more risk of cancer now. THANK YOU NIGHTLY NEWS.

"Ain't it all a mess," as Blanche Peters used to say.

Tom
09-01-2012, 11:11 AM
The thing is not the bread, but the carbs. Try a slice of whole wheat bread. Better yet, they have double fiber bread - like 10 grams of fiber in two slices - that is significant. Try toasting it and put on cinnamon sugar made out of cinnamon and Splenda - harldy an carbs. For each gram of fiber, you negate one gram of carbs.

Even better solution - try an ounce or two of cheese at night and a large glass of water.

A girl I worked with lost 35 pounds in about two month by simply not eating white (bread, rice, potatoes, ice cream)

the process is that by denying yourself carbs, your body will burn fat instead. Going all day without carbs and then just having a small serving can really undo all you did all day because you reset your subconscious reliance of burning sugars.

A throwback to our caveman days, our bodies are set to store fat to burn during the winter. When we eat carbs, we signal our bodies to burn the sugars because we are getting a steady supply so it must be summer. When the supply dries up, we "think" it is winter so we start to use our cold weather supplies.

jognlope
09-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Gotcha. Someone on Oz said any diet dairy is worth doing, fills you up. Don't do anything else labeled diet. But somehow I can't stomach any other cheese now that I've tasted the local coop's cheddar cheese.

Thanks for those suggestions. It's so true, our diet needs to go back in time.

thaskalos
09-01-2012, 12:54 PM
No sugar and no white flour.

And forget about this soft bread that the store tells us is "100% whole wheat".

It's just white bread with a tan...

boxcar
09-01-2012, 03:15 PM
No sugar and no white flour.

And forget about this soft bread that the store tells us is "100% whole wheat".

It's just white bread with a tan...

:lol: :lol: Agreed! You have to get the real stuff!

Boxcar

RaceBookJoe
09-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Ezekiel bread is the best..whole grain, protein. I like it better toasted, and instead of butter i use coconut oil.

jognlope
09-01-2012, 05:52 PM
I'll see about ezekiel bread and 10 grams bread at food coop. They have good breads.

Poor Mucho Macho tried so hard. Good run though.

hcap
09-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Also Food For Life 7 Sprouted Grains Bread tastes great

INGREDIENTS: Organic Sprouted Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Rye, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Oats, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Sprouted Corn, Organic Sprouted Brown Rice, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt

Try walking 1/2 hour or more per day. Your body will metabolize and burn foods quicker. Blood sugar levels will drop a bit. It will help

lsbets
09-01-2012, 08:27 PM
My wife couldn't lose the weight after the last baby, so she bought Turbo Fire and Shakeology. Substituted a shake for a meal every day, followed their workout plan, and stopped drinking soda. She lost 36 pounds in 90 days, and has been noticeably happier.

RaceBookJoe
09-01-2012, 08:50 PM
My wife couldn't lose the weight after the last baby, so she bought Turbo Fire and Shakeology. Substituted a shake for a meal every day, followed their workout plan, and stopped drinking soda. She lost 36 pounds in 90 days, and has been noticeably happier.

I actually am a distributor of Shakeology and all of the Beachbody products...great stuff. I always drink 1 Shakeology a day ( love the Vegan Chocolate one ), and sometimes add a 2nd if i had a heavy lifting day.

lsbets
09-01-2012, 08:51 PM
I actually am a distributor of Shakeology and all of the Beachbody products...great stuff. I always drink 1 Shakeology a day ( love the Vegan Chocolate one ), and sometimes add a 2nd if i had a heavy lifting day.

My wife is too now. After seeing her pics, all her friends wanted to do it. Its been awesome for her, and the results from others have been really impressive.

RaceBookJoe
09-01-2012, 09:15 PM
My wife is too now. After seeing her pics, all her friends wanted to do it. Its been awesome for her, and the results from others have been really impressive.

Good for her, 25% off :)

lsbets
09-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Good for her, 25% off :)

I like the $300 bucks a week or so that she's getting better than the discount. :)

bigmack
09-01-2012, 09:31 PM
INGREDIENTS: Organic Sprouted Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Rye, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Oats, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Sprouted Corn, Organic Sprouted Brown Rice, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt
Those ingredients remind Arnold Ziffel (me) of his Mountain Man in Missoula MonTanA daze. I was 'up' on all the latest organic lingo. I had me some tie dye t-shirts and would wear bandannas on me head. That routine slew a pile of birds back in the day.. Hash was aplenty in Missoula. Still is in SD. Arguably, hashish is like a full bodied Cabernet.

STOP WALKING. Know why? There's CO2 out there! CO2 causes earths temperatures to rise so it stands to reason, it can't be good for you. :D

bja4vctXrmI

jdhanover
09-01-2012, 11:05 PM

When I stopped drinking soda (many years ago) I lost about 15 pounds (out of ~200). She "followed the workout plan" sounds like another 20 potentially. NOT trying to be a jerk but I am very suspicious of claims about shakes, diet pills etc. Is the shake really doing anything or is it a placebo effect? THAT study has not been done I am sure (person using the shakes vs person not but both make the soda/workout change) - it never is.

Maybe this stuff is great. But I remain skeptical.

Having said all that, congratulations to her. Since it works for her, she should stick with it for sure.

jognlope
09-01-2012, 11:07 PM
I like that bread idea, hcap. Well now I can't wait to go to the coop and see just what breads they have!

lsbets
09-01-2012, 11:25 PM
When I stopped drinking soda (many years ago) I lost about 15 pounds (out of ~200). She "followed the workout plan" sounds like another 20 potentially. NOT trying to be a jerk but I am very suspicious of claims about shakes, diet pills etc. Is the shake really doing anything or is it a placebo effect? THAT study has not been done I am sure (person using the shakes vs person not but both make the soda/workout change) - it never is.

Maybe this stuff is great. But I remain skeptical.

Having said all that, congratulations to her. Since it works for her, she should stick with it for sure.

My wife was never a big soda drinker. Two a week or so, so cutting those out did not have a big impact.

The shake is not a magic weight loss potion, and doesn't claim to be. It's a healthy meal replacement, with 160 calories. (edit - my wife just told me she adds 8 ounces of almond milk and a banana to the shake so that puts it around 300 calories). No claims are made that you will lose weight just by drinking it, but people (out of the ones she knows) who drink one a day as a meal substitute in conjunction with working out get better results than those who don't.

I'm not saying that's what everyone should do, but it has worked for her.

She'll be 39 next month. Has had 4 kids. I'm proud of her. This was two weeks ago (our sitter got sick, so instead of cancelling date night we did it at home):

jdhanover
09-01-2012, 11:38 PM
That makes more sense...and she looks terrific! Congrats to her!

But what is that bread doing on the table! :lol:

lsbets
09-01-2012, 11:44 PM
That makes more sense...and she looks terrific! Congrats to her!

But what is that bread doing on the table! :lol:

Thanks.

Bread was not cut out of the diet. She eats everything she enjoys (except soda which she stopped drinking because its toxic garbage). Tonight was spaghetti and meatballs. IMO the key to healthy weight loss is proper calorie intake and exercise. People eat bread all over the world and are not fat like Americans. We eat too much and drive everywhere (which you have to do in most of America). If you live in a part of the world where walking is the norm, you get plenty of exercise just going about your normal routine. Here most people have to put effort into exercising.

highnote
09-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Went to the opthamologist for a checkup. He does not own a car. He rides his bike to work everyday -- probably about 3 miles one-way. His wife has a car that they use when needed. He figures he has saved $50,000 over the past 7 years by not owning a car.

His bike folds up and he takes the commuter train into the city when he has appointments there.

He said nearly his whole property is a garden and he owns chickens that give him fresh eggs.

He is also a mostly a vegetarian. I was impressed and now am thinking about riding my bike to work everyday. Not sure what I'll do in the winter, though, if it snows. Would be nice to be a one car family. That would save a lot!

hcap
09-02-2012, 03:45 AM
Those ingredients remind Arnold Ziffel (me) of his Mountain Man in Missoula MonTanA daze. I was 'up' on all the latest organic lingo. I had me some tie dye t-shirts and would wear bandannas on me head. That routine slew a pile of birds back in the day.. Hash was aplenty in Missoula. Still is in SD. Arguably, hashish is like a full bodied Cabernet.

STOP WALKING. Know why? There's CO2 out there! CO2 causes earths temperatures to rise so it stands to reason, it can't be good for you. :D

bja4vctXrmISo eating healthy and moderate exercise is too hippy dippy for you? Eating organic when possible is another plot by Al Gore to subvert the country? And for God sakes Roy Rodgers is the authority to listen to?