PDA

View Full Version : How'd your SAR meet go?

FantasticDan
08-31-2012, 07:24 PM
With Saratoga wrapping up, just wondering how players did..

I'm a small time weekend warrior, hit almost a $500 EX towards the beginning, then gave a lot of it back the following (rough) weekends..

Had a nice show bet last Sunday tho, so I'm still ahead. :p

Robert Fischer
08-31-2012, 08:12 PM
great meet. I gave a fair chunk back on the jumpers.

Shemp Howard
08-31-2012, 08:14 PM
I should be leading the DelMar-Sar Challenge. Went to the beach on a Spa Saturday and gave away 3 short priced e-z winners, then decided to hold my top 25 position this week and passed on Sheppard's $50 maiden and Wyatt's $35 steeplechase winner. No guts, no glory.:bang:

lamboguy
08-31-2012, 08:14 PM
this meet left me busted, disgusted and can't be trusted

Tape Reader
08-31-2012, 08:25 PM
I was only there for two days. An annual fathers day gift from my son. I didn't have a winner but had some exciting long shots just miss.

Grand kids did great. I introduced them to "happy horse" handicapping a few years ago. It was a thread started here some years ago about having kids pick out happy horses in the post parade. Their kids did well.

I tried it with my grand kids and they look forward to it each year. What they are adamant about is horses that can't win. They expend too much energy in the warm up.

They all love animals and have pets, and the 9 year old rides horses. I hope to convert them to Tote Board Readers in their adult years, but I'll save that for another season.

RaceBookJoe
08-31-2012, 09:22 PM
Having a very nice meet and plan not to give too much back the next few days. Better than last year, not as good as 2010 but also havent played as much this year and not close to my best year. Going to miss Saratoga as always.

Tom
09-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Hard finding anything worth betting this year.
Lots days, but no more quality racing than the old 4 week meets.
Just a lot of dilution, fine if you are there and having a picnic, but betting at home, lots more interesting races at other tracks.

I did come out a bit ahead, but only bet 12 races the whole meet.
Had some nice stakes races, but overall, I never got interested in the racing.

Not4Love
09-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Veteran players and couldn't do anything right. Grew up playing this track and didnt do much right except stop playing the last two weeks .

horses4courses
09-01-2012, 07:08 PM
A lot of zigging when I should have zagged.
Small loser, with 2 days to go........

Ocala Mike
09-01-2012, 07:16 PM
NG, mostly because I didn't get to take a trip up there this year. Hoping to do so in 2013.

Overlay
09-01-2012, 07:41 PM
$NET = $4.73

PhantomOnTour
09-02-2012, 12:18 AM
this meet left me busted, disgusted and can't be trusted
Unless things get good in a hurry, this meet will have left me fried died and laid to the side.

I'll let ya know Monday night

turninforhome10
09-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Search CriteriaTracks:Saratoga
# of Bets 166
Win 24.70%
$1 ROI +0.22
Wagered +$1067.90
Payoff $1300.30
Profit/Loss+232.40

redshift1
09-02-2012, 01:23 AM
No bets waiting for Santa Anita and Churchill meets. Saratoga is perplexing.

acorn54
09-02-2012, 09:19 AM
last i queried my data for saratoga this meet
up to and including august 27th favorites won at a 39% clip with only a 1% loss if you bet every one.
so if you are a longshot player...

CincyHorseplayer
09-02-2012, 02:37 PM
I got out of my dirt doldrums yesterday,thank you lord!But I was killing turf races for the most part.High clip and decent to great odds,albeit sometimes seconds at 11-1 or 20-1.Didn't really lock into any 2yo's til the Medaglia horse yesterday unless they were obvious.Overall it was a profitable meet and fun to boot.And on that note it's time for some lame plagiarism!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AohA367VVk

jk3521
09-02-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm ahead about $250 but after 39 racing days that means I made about $6 a day profit, not able to retire yet! :faint:

thaskalos
09-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Typically, my results at Saratoga can be categorized as either poor or terrible.

This year, they were horrible...

jefftune
09-03-2012, 12:05 AM
I did well at Sar this year. I played maybe one third of the racing days and cashed $738 in tickets. Pretty good for this $2 bettor. Played mostly daily doubles and win bets. Hit some nice prices - 23-1, 19-1, 13-1, a couple 10-1.

Cholly
09-03-2012, 06:19 PM
For me, Saratoga 2012 was good, good show. Trainers and Owners from all over, beautiful horses and big, bettable fields. I hear the gripes of those who say there are too many claiming races (esp. maiden claimers), and personally I don’t care a whit about 2yo racing…but still there’s plenty to like. Lots of great turf racing, and the best met the best in the Whitney and the Woodward--real thrillers, those two races. (Aside: explain to me again why these proven stars run for $750K while those plugs in the Louisiana Derby ran for a million?)

I was fortunate to attend one day of live racing, and don’t need to embellish on this site about the thrill of experiencing Saratoga live & in color. But every other day I day I followed via internet, and NYRA shined in this medium. The expanded Talking Horses with the interesting rotating guests, all the work of Serling, Wolfendale, et al, and in general solid production values made it real for me, even on a 14” screen.

OK, so I won a little—thanks to a fat score on a Pick 3 that I didn’t manage to piss all of it away chasing Pick 4’s the rest of the meet. But even if I’d lost a little, I’d still be saying great things about the meet and the super job NYRA did.

Of course if I’d lost a LOT, I might feel different…Yeah, I’d probably be bitching about all the shitty cheap races they carded, especially the maiden claimers.

mannyberrios
09-03-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm ahead about $250 but after 39 racing days that means I made about $6 a day profit, not able to retire yet! :faint: I love this post! :1:

1GCFAN
09-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Betting only weekends had some good and bad days. Best hit was George Weaver's 2 year old Summer of Fun on the turf. Biggest bust was not listening to my son about Willy Beamer then leaving Clawback off the ticket today after keying Always A Tiz with a $$ to the 1-3-9.

Best of all was getting to go to both Saratoga and Del Mar for a weekend!:)

BombsAway Bob
09-03-2012, 11:24 PM
With Saratoga wrapping up, just wondering how players did..
I'm a small time weekend warrior, hit almost a $500 EX towards the beginning, then gave a lot of it back the following (rough) weekends..
Had a nice show bet last Sunday tho, so I'm still ahead. :p

578=bets;. 7.09%=win;. +0.17 =$1ROI;. $3689.00=bet;. $4320.61=won;. total=$+631.61

rubicon55
09-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Not a remarkable meet for me. Poor ROI. The fields seemed more competetive this year. Faired much better at other venues.

RaceBookJoe
09-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Betting only weekends had some good and bad days. Best hit was George Weaver's 2 year old Summer of Fun on the turf. Biggest bust was not listening to my son about Willy Beamer then leaving Clawback off the ticket today after keying Always A Tiz with a $$ to the 1-3-9.

Best of all was getting to go to both Saratoga and Del Mar for a weekend!:)

That race really put me up on the season, keyed a $300 exacta too. I had a little inside info on that one though so i cant take much credit for that. Ended the season up nicely, early season $800 tri, yesterday 1st race 10cent super helped get me over $4k for the meet. 1 more day at Del Mar, then its time to give the brain a rest.

BlueShoe
09-04-2012, 02:23 PM
1 more day at Del Mar, then its time to give the brain a rest.
Have the same idea. This is transition time, with Saratoga to Belmont, Del Mar to Fairplex or Santa Anita, and Ellis to KD or Turfway. My handicapping style does not do well with runners changing tracks, even within the same circuit, this is one of my weaknesses. May take a peek at Arlington, Monmouth or Louisiana, but do intend to wind down quite a bit for a few weeks.

By being very selective and cutting down on the number of plays, did mamage to finish slightly ahead of Saratoga, but suffered several tough beat seconds during the meeting, that had just a few of them gone my way, would have produced much better results. Guess all horseplayers would have the same lament about seconditis though. Closing day yesterday ended with the same fizzle when a 10-1 shot that I very seriously got down on in the 4th got beat by the favorite that I disliked. :bang:

Si2see
09-04-2012, 05:42 PM
I did great at the start of the del mar meet, great at the end of saratoga.... but terrible in between. All in all even between the two meets so can't complain but so much

tbwinner
09-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Horrible to start, great during Travers week, awful after that, great closing 2 weekends.

Have to combine my ADW and on-track records but overall think I am showing a small loss at Saratoga this year. A loss that could have been prevented by one bone-headed mistake I made. I don't remember the race nor do I really want to look back. I keyed an 18-1 shot which won (that I had good win/place money on as well) but missed the exacta by a nose for 2nd. Looking back I was an idiot not including the horse. First time trained by Juan Carlos Guerrero of Parx-fame at 30-1 odds.

1GCFAN
09-04-2012, 10:20 PM
tbwinner -Didn't he have one in on closing day?

Tom
09-06-2012, 01:32 PM
I heard that the final stat for winning favorites was 48% ???
Wow! That is a tough room to play.

rubicon55
09-06-2012, 02:47 PM

Thats an amazing stat and makes more sense to me now. I had a lot of longshots that looked good on paper but never carrried through. Longshots were tough to get this time around. I had some hits but those were based more on trainer angles due to tough horse form match ups on the cards, at least that is how I saw it.

RaceBookJoe
09-06-2012, 05:12 PM

Interesting Tom, because even though i saw a lot of favorites, I also felt there was a good amount of longshots also..both in the win and place slots. Felt the same with Del Mar to me also. But i didnt play every day, maybe 3 days/week. 48% favorites is definately high though..wow.

citygoat
09-08-2012, 08:37 PM
I lost just enough to forget and willing to get it all back at racing's jewel--Turfway.

burnsy
09-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Of course if I’d lost a LOT, I might feel different…Yeah, I’d probably be bitching about all the shitty cheap races they carded, especially the maiden claimers.
I had a bad meet this year.....sort of don't want to see my NYRA account statement next month. Last year i had a great meet and i win there more years than i lose. I go almost on a daily basis, buy a season pass every year. But when it comes to the races they card ....i have been consistant win or lose the past few years. Its not just about the money. Its about the quality of racing, the time people spend going or handicapping for the summer and the tradition of Saratoga itself. Expanding the meet is one thing but adding all these races is another. When there are 10, 11 or 12 races and 5 to 7 of them stink...thats not Saratoga. The "product" is the card and the quality of the races........not how many you can fill. When Saratoga begins to get watered down...thats not a good thing for the racing and i don't care if i'm winning or losing. Said the same exact thing at the end of last years meet....when i had crushed them. Saratoga is not about races....its about good races.....period. Thats what put the meet where it is. I have friends that have been going for 35 years saying the same thing. One friend of mine would not go over there until 330 to bet....he used to love the place. More is only good....if its better!