PDA

View Full Version : Show of hands after RNC

PaceAdvantage
08-31-2012, 03:44 AM
After Romney's speech, are you more likely to vote for him in November based on what you saw, or less likely to vote for him in November based on what you saw?

This is an anonymous poll, and all are welcome to vote, regardless of party affiliation.

For those that didn't see it:

N3u1Y0vhtYU

This poll will close the day before Obama's DNC speech on September 6.

Tom
08-31-2012, 07:50 AM
I would have preferred some specifics to the 5 points.
But I did like the ending.....heh, heh, heh.

Eastwood was entertaining, but really was a tad down towards Obama's level and not really up to a national audience event. Although, he had the single most important line of the whole convention: WE OWN THIS COUNTRY.

Some other speeches during the week really exposed the 800 pound gorilla in the room - Obama has zero leadership skills. "Hope and Change became divide and conquer" pretty much sums him up.

horses4courses
08-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Well,

fEkWH8DB7b0

FantasticDan
08-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Thank god for this poll! So many fence-sitters here at PA, it'll be nice to see where people stand now.. :rolleyes: :D

PaceAdvantage
08-31-2012, 10:22 AM
h4c, you thought the speech was insanely idiotic? No wonder there can never be civil, thoughtful discussion on this board...one side thinks Obama is going to turn the country communist, and the other thinks a speech like Romney gave last night to be "insanely idiotic."

You're as bad as the other side you criticize, and vice versa.

PaceAdvantage
08-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Thank god for this poll! So many fence-sitters here at PA, it'll be nice to see where people stand now.. :rolleyes: :D No change doesn't mean fence-sitter necessarily...could mean you're either already for or against so much so that this speech did nothing to sway you...

horses4courses
08-31-2012, 10:51 AM
h4c, you thought the speech was insanely idiotic? No wonder there can never be civil, thoughtful discussion on this board...one side thinks Obama is going to turn the country communist, and the other thinks a speech like Romney gave last night to be "insanely idiotic."

You're as bad as the other side you criticize, and vice versa.

Ahh, pay no attention to me. Just a light hearted jab.

Why would anyone ever want civil and thoughtful discussion here?
The only thing we can agree on is that we differ...... ;)

Actor
08-31-2012, 11:31 AM
I marked "no change." I mean, how can you get "less likely" than no way in Hell?

Tom
08-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Well now, that would mean No Change!

lamboguy
08-31-2012, 01:02 PM
i liked the speech so much that instead of betting on Romney to win, i bought more gold thinking that he is going to win.

mostpost
08-31-2012, 01:05 PM
After Romney's speech, are you more likely to vote for him in November based on what you saw, or less likely to vote for him in November based on what you saw?

This is an anonymous poll, and all are welcome to vote, regardless of party affiliation.

For those that didn't see it:

N3u1Y0vhtYU

This poll will close the day before Obama's DNC speech on September 6.
I can't honestly say "less likely" since there was no way I would vote for Romney, but the speech left me less impressed with Romney than I was even before.

He tried to show us his human side, but merely succeeded in showing us that he was a guy trying to show us his human side. He thinks that one of the great things about America is that now people have to work two $9 an hour jobs without benefits to replace the one $23.50 an hour with benefits job they lost to outsourcing. He promised to fix the problems that Republicans created without explaining that it was Republicans who created those problems. He blamed Obama for everything without admitting that Obama has been hamstrung for four years by the Republican mandate to make Obama a one term President.

He repeated the lie about Obama stealing $713B from seniors in Medicare, and never mentioned that Paul Ryan's budget takes out the same $713B.

He promised to add 12,000,000 jobs. which is the number of new jobs predicted by most economists if there were no change in policy

bigmack
08-31-2012, 01:23 PM
bla bla bla
Thank you for that, Ezra Klein, Chris Hayes, Butch Maddow, Chris Matthews, Eugene Robinson, Andrea Mitchell, Ed Schultz & Howie Fineman. :ThmbUp:

TJDave
08-31-2012, 01:29 PM
I didn't watch. I am 'less likely'.

After the DNC I will be 'less likely' to vote for Obama.

Won't watch that either.

bigmack
08-31-2012, 01:32 PM
I didn't watch. I am 'less likely'.
Cut the crap, Shaft. You've always been "not bloody likely."

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_TawnMJBeKA/T9E2XbB4FVI/AAAAAAAAAC4/-kxGfhS98mo/s300/Mormon%252BMedia%252BReviews%252BLogo.jpg

Saratoga_Mike
08-31-2012, 01:44 PM
He repeated the lie about Obama stealing $713B from seniors in Medicare, and never mentioned that Paul Ryan's budget takes out the same $713B.

He promised to add 12,000,000 jobs. which is the number of new jobs predicted by most economists if there were no change in policy

1) How is it a LIE? From the beginning of time anytime Republicans have EVER suggested reducing the rate of growth of ANY social-welfare program, Dems have used the word CUT. So Obama CUT Medicare spending to help fund ObamaCare, in Dems' own vernacular. Stealing is just heated rhetoric for cut, get it? Now I don't consider it a cut, just a reduction in the rate of growth. I would have done it and just used the savings to reduce the deficit. Romney is on the top of the ticket, not Ryan so there's no need to address Ryan's plan at every turn, which I'm sure you understand. And it's $716 billion.

2) ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY FALSE. That said, do I believe Romney will create an environment that helps create 12 mm jobs over 4 yrs? No - too much deleveraging underway.

TJDave
08-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Cut the crap, Shaft.

Who's the black private dick
That's a sex machine to all the chicks?

mostpost
08-31-2012, 02:14 PM
1) How is it a LIE? From the beginning of time anytime Republicans have EVER suggested reducing the rate of growth of ANY social-welfare program, Dems have used the word CUT. So Obama CUT Medicare spending to help fund ObamaCare, in Dems' own vernacular. Stealing is just heated rhetoric for cut, get it? Now I don't consider it a cut, just a reduction in the rate of growth. I would have done it and just used the savings to reduce the deficit. Romney is on the top of the ticket, not Ryan so there's no need to address Ryan's plan at every turn, which I'm sure you understand. And it's $716 billion.

2) ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY FALSE. That said, do I believe Romney will create an environment that helps create 12 mm jobs over 4 yrs? No - too much deleveraging underway.

It may not be accurate, but that is what I heard in several places. To clarify, they did say that this would occur in a typical recovery.

mostpost
08-31-2012, 02:17 PM
Today's gallup poll has Obama leading 47-46. Seems to me those are the numbers I have been seeing all week.

bigmack
08-31-2012, 02:17 PM
It may not be accurate, but that is what I heard in several places. To clarify, they did say that this would occur in a typical recovery.
Thank you for that, Ezra Klein, Chris Hayes, Butch Maddow, Chris Matthews, Eugene Robinson, Andrea Mitchell, Ed Schultz & Howie Fineman. :ThmbUp:

Your posts oddly coincide EXACTLY with MSNBC. Freaky!

Saratoga_Mike
08-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Today's gallup poll has Obama leading 47-46. Seems to me those are the numbers I have been seeing all week.

Was the poll conducted this morning?

mostpost
08-31-2012, 02:30 PM
The actual Gallup numbers:
Aug. 3 thru 9 Obama 46% Romney 46%
Aug. 11 to 17 Obama 45% Romney 47%
Aug. 18 to 24 Obama 46% Romney 46%
August 24 to 20 Obama 47% Romney 46%
Today Obama 47% Romney 46%..
So Obama actually gained a point during the Republican National Convention. I wonder when that has happened before.

Saratoga_Mike
08-31-2012, 02:34 PM

So you're admitting we're in a recession? If not, why match up the 12 million jobs with a recovery situation (recovery follows recession)? Freudian Most.

Saratoga_Mike
08-31-2012, 02:38 PM
The actual Gallup numbers:
Aug. 3 thru 9 Obama 46% Romney 46%
Aug. 11 to 17 Obama 45% Romney 47%
Aug. 18 to 24 Obama 46% Romney 46%
August 24 to 20 Obama 47% Romney 46%
Today Obama 47% Romney 46%..
So Obama actually gained a point during the Republican National Convention. I wonder when that has happened before.

Again, was the lastest poll conducted this morning? All that mattered at the convention was Romney's speech, which I thought was just ok. His speech was obviously last night, so I don't care about any poll conducted prior to this morning. He may not get a bounce, but we need to look at a poll conducted after last night's speech to make that determination.

mostpost
08-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Again, was the lastest poll conducted this morning? All that mattered at the convention was Romney's speech, which I thought was just ok. His speech was obviously last night, so I don't care about any poll conducted prior to this morning. He may not get a bounce, but we need to look at a poll conducted after last night's speech to make that determination.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/

It says August 31. Today is August 31. That's all I can go by. Now we wait until next week to see how the Democratic National Convention affects the polls.

Saratoga_Mike
08-31-2012, 03:29 PM

It says August 31. Today is August 31. That's all I can go by. Now we wait until next week to see how the Democratic National Convention affects the polls.

Why would Obama get a bounce out his convention?

Saratoga_Mike
08-31-2012, 03:35 PM

I looked into the Gallup poll you cited - it's a 7-day rolling avg, so it doesn't measure the potential bounce from Romney's speech. If he gets one, I suspect it will be very modest - but let's wait a few days for the correct poll.

mostpost
08-31-2012, 05:35 PM
Why would Obama get a bounce out his convention?
Candidates always get a bounce out of the convention. At least until this week.

bigmack
08-31-2012, 05:44 PM
Candidates always get a bounce out of the convention. At least until this week.
Really? How much of a bump did Dole get in '96?

You really ought to avoid engaging in political analysis. DO check the polls post the debates after your man crush tries to sell his failed policies to voters, like Ralph Kramden peddling Kramden's Delicious Marshall (dog food) to his boss at Gotham Bus Co.

http://static.flickr.com/25/99321671_b292246abb_o.jpg

lsbets
08-31-2012, 07:04 PM
You really ought to avoid engaging in political analysis.

Oh c'mon BM. The poll was published this morning. They could have called people at midnight, or at 6 a.m. today. If mosty says the poll reflects Romney's speech, I'm sure he's right. He's a bright guy. He scored high enough on a test to join a group. He told us.

bigmack
08-31-2012, 07:43 PM
He's on the hunt for a 'bounce poll' less than 24 hours after MR took the stage. :D

I don't know how much longer Mostie can keep up his kiss ass support under the weight of such lack of leadership.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/FatCheerleader-Flickr-PhotoSharing.png

Must say, it is a hoot anytime derogatory info is mentioned of the first mulatto President, Mostie goes into a fit much like this loon.

kHmvkRoEowc

highnote
09-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Eastwood was entertaining, but really was a tad down towards Obama's level and not really up to a national audience event. Although, he had the single most important line of the whole convention: WE OWN THIS COUNTRY.

I thought Eastwood had the most important line of the convention, too -- "See, I never thought it was a good idea for attorneys to be President anyway."

Now that's funny. Mitt Romney is a Harvard educated attorney. :D

Was Clint's speech vetted by anyone in the party?

ArlJim78
09-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Romney is not an attorney.

highnote
09-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Romney is not an attorney.

So receiving a Juris Doctor from Harvard does not make him an attorney?

Wikipedia:

"Willard Mitt Romney (born March 12, 1947) is an American businessman and politician who is the nominee of the Republican Party for President of the United States in the 2012 election. He was the 70th Governor of Massachusetts (2003–07). The son of Lenore and George W. Romney (Governor of Michigan, 1963–69), he was raised in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. Beginning in 1966, he spent thirty months in France as a Mormon missionary. In 1969, he married Ann Davies, and the couple have five children together. In 1971, he earned a Bachelor of Arts from Brigham Young University and, in 1975, a joint Juris Doctor and Master of Business Administration from Harvard University."

ArlJim78
09-02-2012, 09:13 AM
he's never practiced law, never worked a day in his life as an attorney. the degree was a backup plan in case his business career didn't pan out, something to pad his resume.

highnote
09-02-2012, 09:25 AM
he's never practiced law, never worked a day in his life as an attorney. the degree was a backup plan in case his business career didn't pan out.

Whether he practices law or not, the degree makes him an attorney.

Just like a priest -- once a priest, always a priest.

If a student receives a bachelor degree from, say, Yale, they are always a Yale graduate whether they like it or not.

By your definition then Obama is not an attorney, either, yet Eastwood's remark was aimed at Obama -- "See, I never thought it was a good idea for attorneys to be president, anyway."

Either way, the remark was ironic.

It doesn't really matter what Romney or Obama is or isn't. Our discussion is turning in to one of semantics.

I don't like Romney or Obama for president, but I think Eastwood's use of the empty chair prop was brilliant.

Don't be surprised to see the democrats ask Tom Hanks' speech to be to Romney in an empty suit. :D

ArlJim78
09-02-2012, 09:41 AM
I recall that Obama surrendered or retired his law license, so yes he's not now an attorney, but at one time he did practice law.:D
i think you're wrong that a degree alone makes you an attorney.
whatever the case, nobody considers Romney an attorney since he has never practiced law.

I agree about Eastwoods performance. At first I just thought it was odd but good. The more time passes I'm thinking that it was brilliant. of course what else would anyone expect from the guy.

fast4522
09-02-2012, 09:42 AM
I do not think Mitt Romney's profession is to practice law, it is advisable to know the law in his profession, and was quite helpful when he was Governor of Massachusetts, and when he was the head of company's.

Some of you guys are completely desperate and pathetic.

Definition of LAWYER:

: one whose profession is to conduct lawsuits for clients or to advise as to legal rights and obligations in other matters

highnote
09-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I agree about Eastwoods performance. At first I just thought it was odd but good. The more time passes I'm thinking that it was brilliant. of course what else would anyone expect from the guy.

Eastwood is a genius.

However, I disagree that we should not have attorneys be presidents. Otherwise, we would not have had:

John Adams
Thomas Jefferson
James Madison
James Monroe
John Quincy Adams
Abe Lincoln
etc

This list is why I found his remark ironic.

highnote
09-02-2012, 12:26 PM
For the record, Romney is an attorney.

"Romney sat for the bar exam in his home state of Michigan in July 1975, passed it and was admitted to practice law there, but never worked as a lawyer and only considered in case his business career did not work out.[64]"

A lawyer is one who earns a law degree. A lawyer is trained in the law. A lawyer does not have to pass a bar exam.

An attorney is a lawyer. But a lawyer is not necessarily an attorney.

An attorney passes the bar exam and can represent people in court. That Romney does not represent people in court does not disqualify him from being an attorney.

Attorneys by definition have passed a bar examination and have been admitted to practice law in a particular jurisdiction.

And this is why Clint Eastwood saying he he thinks attorneys should NOT be president struck me as ironic and made me laugh. I laugh at the irony of Clint saying Romney should not be president.

Abe Lincoln was an attorney and a pretty good president.

newtothegame
09-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Jim, you're debating a guy (highnote) who is just trying to make up his mind about candidates.....lmao.
nevermind the fact he totally missed the OBAMA was an attorney....doesnt matter.
Even if Mitt had never practiced a day of law in his life...HIGHNOTE knows what an attorney looks like and is...just referrence wiki.....:lol:

mountainman
09-02-2012, 01:07 PM
I would equate the convention with two musket- wielding guys that just took 10 paces and turned-i mean, powdered wigs and ALL. One man aimed carefully, squeezed of his shot and hit, but did not seriously injure, his opponent. The opponent, a more acclaimed marksman (campaigner), now takes dead aim. Just my take.

highnote
09-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Jim, you're debating a guy (highnote) who is just trying to make up his mind about candidates.....lmao.

False. I have pretty much made up my mind. I will vote for an independent candidate or not vote.

nevermind the fact he totally missed the OBAMA was an attorney....doesnt matter.

False. I get that Eastwood was talking about Obama. I assume Obama passed the bar and is and attorney. I just found it ironic that Eastwood's statement applied to Romney and even Abe Lincoln! :D

Even if Mitt had never practiced a day of law in his life...HIGHNOTE knows what an attorney looks like and is...just referrence wiki.....:lol:

I was curious, so I asked an even more reliable source than wiki -- an attorney -- my brother-in-law.

Here is his response:

"Law school -- lawyer
State Bar -- attorney (and of course also a lawyer)"

A Lawyer is not an Attorney, but an Attorney is a Lawyer.

barn32
09-03-2012, 08:56 PM

You're as bad as the other side you criticize, and vice versa.The problem is not with people who provide opinions on your forum. The problem lies within.

PaceAdvantage
09-04-2012, 12:53 AM
The problem is not with people who provide opinions on your forum. The problem lies within.No, the problem lies with the bombastic and outrageous nature of both sides. Like I said, one side thinks Obama is a communist and the other thinks Romney's speech was "insanely idiotic."

But yeah, you're probably right. It's all my fault... :lol:

hcap
09-04-2012, 04:07 AM
http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2012/09/incredible-vanishing-gop-convention-bounce

The Incredible Vanishing GOP Convention Bounce

Gallup is out with a post-convention poll asking people whether last week's festivities in Tampa have made them more likely or less likely to vote for Mitt Romney. Answer: 40% are more likely, 38% are less likely. This is a net bounce of 2 percentage points, the lowest since Gallup started tracking this question a quarter of a century ago.

http://www.motherjones.com/files/images/blog_convention_bounce.jpg

highnote
09-04-2012, 11:06 AM
The Incredible Vanishing GOP Convention Bounce

It is not necessarily a bad thing for the repubs that they did not get a bigger bounce. It might mean that more people than usual have made up their minds.

Tom
09-04-2012, 10:37 PM
hcap, leaders do not follow polls.
They change them.