PDA

View Full Version : Web Cam-Foaling Accident

JustRalph
01-18-2004, 06:50 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/01/16/horse.cam.ap/index.html

Web cam watchers help woman kicked by horse
Friday, January 16, 2004 Posted: 3:15 PM EST (2015 GMT)

Images on the barn cam posted on KBHilltopstables.com update every 20 seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools
RELATED
• KBHilltopstables.com

CHARLOTTE, Iowa (AP) -- People around the world watching live on a Web cam as a horse gave birth called for help when the mare -- in pain and confused -- kicked her owner after delivering her foal.

Bev Holzrichter said she owes her life to people from California to Germany who called for help after witnessing the incident over the Internet, Thursday's Clinton Herald newspaper reported.

"The mare was still in pain and that caused her to become confused," Holzrichter said. "She panicked and kicked me three times on my right side."

Holzrichter said her husband is a truck driver and she is frequently alone at their eastern Iowa stables. She said without the Web cam she could have laid in the barn for days before anyone would find her.

"I managed to drag my self out of the stall, but I couldn't close the door," she said. "So the horse could have finished the job."

No bones were broken, but Holzrichter has a pinched nerve in her elbow, a damaged tendon in her knee and she may have to have surgery on her femur after one of the kicks Friday separated the liner from her leg bone.

"She is not a vicious horse," Holzrichter said. "Like all new mothers, she was very protective of her baby."

:cool: