PDA

View Full Version : Good Racing On Saturday

Oskar
08-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Some of the noteworthy events happening over the weekend, at Mohawk and elsewhere:

There are three sophomore pacers racing at Mohawk Saturday night, and two of them are of interest. Thinking Out Loud, who won a split of the first leg of the KYSS championship series last week, is forgoing the second leg and racing instead against a preferred field at Mohawk. He’ll face Classic Rock Nroll, the winnerof the Battle of Lake Erie and the recent FFA series at Saratoga. His stablemate, Dapper Dude, who takes on Sweet Lou in the PASS championship at Pocono on Saturday, used a start in last week’s Mohawk preferred pace as a training mile. The 6/5 favorite followed along at the back and finished seventh for JC.

Warrawee Needy, who was expected to be one of the top pacers in his division, but is winless in 2012, had a spot carved out for him in a NW26L5. He wouldn’t fit that spec due to money won in the Confed Cup and the Gold series, but as chance would have it, Ontario sired 3-year-olds are also eligible. So, there are three 6-year-olds, three five-year-olds, three four-year-olds and Needy. He’s yet to win an open stakes race and hasn’t cracked the 100K mark this year. All those Gold Series goodies were supposed to be his, as well as the lion's share of the rich UC purse and the Canadian Breeders money, but Coleman’s Michaels Power stole all his candy.

Shawnee Dancer, the 7/5 choice in the second leg of the 3-year-old filly pacer championship at The Red Mile, is the latest Burke acquisition. She’s an old-blood filly, sired by a then 26-year-old Jate Lobell and out of an unraced Lifesign mare. Her pedigree is dotted with the likes of Overtrick and Thorpe Hanover, and I’m not talking about her distant pedigree. Her second dam, LC Justice, was also unraced. She was half to the outstanding Albatross mare, Turn The Tide, winner of the Countess Adios, Tarport Hap, Shady Daisy, Jugette, Bluegrass, Lady Maud, Bronx Filly, Adioo Volo and more. Jate Lobell, the sire of Riyadh, was a perfect 15 for 15 at two and fast as can be. He had some great battles with Frugal Gourmet, Run The Table, Redskin and Call For Rain.

In the Spring Of Hope mares invitational at Mohawk, Rebeka Bayama gets to prove whether or not she’s for real. Prior to getting second in the Lady Liberty, winning a 50K invitational and winning the Golden Girls, all at M1, she wasn’t getting it done at Mohawk. She was fourth in her Roses Are Red elimination and seventh in the final, at 50/1, before heading south. She drew the eight with Put On A Show just inside her. That one has nine wins this season, six in her last ten starts, including a 47.3 WR in the Lady Liberty. Prior to that, Anndrovette, who drew the two, bottomed the field in the Roses Are Red at Mohawk, setting a WR of 48.1. What a great division. Rocklamation, who hasn’t had any luck for a while, is still second to Anndrovette in dollars off of four wins—including the 300K final—in the Blue Chip Matchmaker at Yonkers.

Voelz Hanover drops into a winnable condition race; she drew the two and picks upTetrick.

Little BrownFox, who broke pushing for the top in his Hambo elimination, drew the seven in the Simcoe, just inside of Knows Nothing. The latter, who disappointed in the Hambo, couldn’t get to Prestidigitator last time out. Gingras drives LB Fox again.

Scott Zeron was singing the praises of Tarpon Hanover when he was trouncing them in restricted company.The Nassagaweya and Metro elimination brought him back down to earth. He drew the nine in the Metro consolation.

Coleman’s SBSW filly, L Dees Lioness, and Ryder’s Rocknroll filly, I Luv The Nitelife, knock heads in the She’s A Great Lady. Nitelife’s dam is a sister to Lis Mara and Lisagain. The dam of Lioness is a 650K winner. Both won splits of theEternal Camnation. Nitelife won her Great Lady elim in a WR 50.1 and the other filly in 50.2. Wow!

WWS is the only horse in the Canadian Pacing Derby to ever beat Cheddar, and that was by a nose. Andy will try to get them in line with a 26 opening quarter, take a blow on the back and let them come and get him at the half. Brennan will grind it out on the overland route. Foiled may follow, but he’s lost 9 of his last 10 starts. Alsace is coming back, but he doesn’t seem to be a match for Cheddar. McNair will return Aracache to his nose on the gate days; hanging back isn't getting him anywhere. This has turned into a weak division.

With the belt tightening that’s taken place in NJ, A Rocknroll Dance has no soft spots to fall back on, but Sweet Lou does. Lou drew the three in a PASS 200K championship at Pocono on Saturday. Dapper Dude and Easy Again look like his toughest opponents.

Maven, who didn’t start in the Zweig, will face Check Me Out again in the 200K filly trotter championship. Corey Callahan drives Maven, as Gingras will be at Mohawk. Schnittker handles CMO instead of Tetrick, who will also be at Mohawk. CMO is hooked up as an entry with winless Real Babe. Schnittker is having Morrill drive that one, while he takes CMO. He—like Takter—thinks he’s a good driver. At least Superstar Hanover gets a vacation from Takter; Palone drives.

Burke has three uncoupled entries in the 200K filly pace: Destiny’s Chance, Darena Hanover and Tykesa Moon. Morrill drives Darena. Brett Miller drives Big McDeal from the rail and Palone drives Economy Terror. It’ll be musical chairs all night at Pocono with the drivers. Economy Terror has three wins this year, all in the PASS.

Sea Biscuit
08-31-2012, 08:06 AM
The experts picks for Saturday

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20434256/Metro-CPD%20Handicapping%20Section.pdf

Sinner369
08-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Sea Biscuit.............you mean the "Guessperts"?

Sea Biscuit
08-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Sea Biscuit.............you mean the "Guessperts"?

I didn't wanna say that but I guess your guessperts comment is on the money:lol::lol:

Sinner369
08-31-2012, 10:14 AM
I didn't wanna say that but I guess your guessperts comment is on the money:lol::lol:

There's not too many people's opinion that I respect...........though guys like Mike Hamilton are knowledge...........but that does not make them good handicappers..........you, me and the guy down the street can all pick who the favorites are but it's the ones who can pick Price horses are the ones I respect!

I have lots of respect for Al Stanley and handicappers like Bob Pandolfo.

Zapper
08-31-2012, 10:49 AM
I believe Tarpon will be scratched out of that Consolation Final

Oskar
08-31-2012, 02:40 PM
Heston Blue Chip drew the nine for the Cane final. He’s had good fortune in the draw all year; he had the rail a couple of times, the two in a couple of races, the three post three times, the four and the five. Last week’s start from the six is as far out as he’s been all year—up until now.

A Rocknroll Dance drew the five. If Tetrick makes his mid-race brush to the top this week, Gingras will probably be there waiting for him. Blowing by Simply Business is one thing….I assume Tetrick will leave with HBC.

Pet Rock drew the seven. They supplemented him to the Cane so he can get into the Jug. Sears will have that in mind. The same goes for Mark MacDonald with State Treasurer.

Brennan drives Dynamic Youth for the first time since last September. He drove him twice, winning a SS race and finishing second behind HBC.

mrroyboy
08-31-2012, 06:19 PM
I think another night of watching instead of betting. Lot of fun thou

Oskar
08-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Drop TheBall is the top tier mare missing from tomorrow night’s 100K Spring of Hope invitational at Mohawk. Ross Croghan started her in the 50K F&M open at Harrah’s this afternoon instead. She went off at 1/5 and won by eight in 48.4. Ginger And Fred—the closest mare to DTB, odds wise at 8/1, finished second and Higher And Higher was third. DTB drew off by three on the back and had established a six length margin at the head of the stretch. It’s a shame she isn’t in with the best mares tomorrow night.

Krispy Apple, who chased Peelers around last year but still managed to win ten times for more than 500K, has been a serious disappointment this year. She’s started sixteen times, but all she has to show for her efforts are two prelim wins in the Matchmaker and a win in the Matchmaker consolation. She finished seventh at 25/1 today.

Zapper
09-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Tarpon will go tonight.I can confirm this after earlier post and he trained great the other day.