PDA

View Full Version : And now a word from the chief diversity officer

ArlJim78
08-30-2012, 07:20 AM
please stop using the following phrases immediately, because it's offensive hate speech according to the State Departments Chief Diversity Officer.
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/195572.pdf

"black and tan"
"hold down the fort"
"going Dutch"
"rule of thumb"

and finally the one that should make waves around here, "handicap".

Tom
08-30-2012, 07:48 AM
A school district, and I am not sure where, is trying to force a deaf kid to change his name, because when he signs it, the makes a "gun" gesture.

Other words Obama would like to ban:

Unemployment
Failure
Recession
Jobs

DJofSD
08-30-2012, 10:32 AM
please stop using the following phrases immediately, because it's offensive hate speech according to the State Departments Chief Diversity Officer.
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/195572.pdf

"black and tan"
"hold down the fort"
"going Dutch"
"rule of thumb"

and finally the one that should make waves around here, "handicap".
I would venture to say a vast majority of people would be completely unaware of the derivation of these phrases. But yet the implication is they are offensive. How can any one take offense to a phrase if the offensive nature of the phrase is not known?

lsbets
08-30-2012, 10:53 AM
One way to start cutting the size of government - eliminate all "diversity officer" positions at all government departments. Not much of an impact, but its a start. Then go down the list of positions and eliminate all the rest that have nothing to do with the mission of that department.

The fact that our tax dollars paid for that column is ridiculous.

ArlJim78
08-30-2012, 10:56 AM
whatever you do don't sit down with a black and tan to handicap while using any rules of thumb. you just might offend a whole bunch of people.

I mean you do have to be aware of cultural differences, especially for people in the state department. but for most of this you would really have to be going out of your way to be offended by any of this.

FantasticDan
08-30-2012, 11:07 AM
I think it's a perfectly interesting article about phrase etymology, and of course says nothing about it being hate speech or "stop using". The message is only "choose your words thoughtfully".

Which explains why a PA rightie would start a thread bitching about it. :lol:

DJofSD
08-30-2012, 11:15 AM
I think it's a perfectly interesting article about phrase etymology, and of course says nothing about it being hate speech or "stop using". The message is only "choose your words thoughtfully".

Which explains why a PA rightie would start a thread bitching about it. :lol:
Are you starting your own little war against women? Why do you choose to use the word "bitch?"

People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Tom
08-30-2012, 11:19 AM
The only thing I find objectionable is that we have a Diversity Office.
Talk about your TOTAL waste of money. Whose nephew heads it up?
Or was a union reward for goose stepping to the polls?

:lol::lol::lol:

FantasticDan
08-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Are you starting your own little war against women? Why do you choose to use the word "bitch?" People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.You realize your pissy little rant is offensive to women, bitches, glass-blowers, and the stone people of native american lore, right? Take a lesson.. :ThmbUp:

DJofSD
08-30-2012, 11:50 AM
You realize your pissy little rant is offensive to women, bitches, glass-blowers, and the stone people of native american lore, right? Take a lesson.. :ThmbUp:
Take a lesson?

Don't you understand your suggestion offends teachers and educators? That's their job, not yours.

Tom
08-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Way to hold down the fort, Dan.
As a rule of thumb, that is.
DJ should not go postal with replies......oops.
Drat, sorry 'bout that.

DJofSD
08-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Tch, tch, tch -- shame on you Tom, doncha know how offensive your words are?

Oh my, has it gotten to the point where every single word we utter has to be considered beforehand out of fear some one will take offense? Where's the George Carlin's and Lenny Bruce's of yesteryear?

TJDave
08-30-2012, 01:21 PM
"black and tan"

If ever in a serious Irish pub it would be a mistake ordering one.

DJofSD
08-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Thread drift -- speaking of Irish, have you been watching "Copper?"

ArlJim78
08-30-2012, 01:26 PM
If ever in a serious Irish pub it would be a mistake ordering one.
I'll keep that in mind.
I only had one once and it was in Bologna Italy.