PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Helps Students Cheat Because She Says They’re ‘Dumb As Hell’

DJofSD
08-28-2012, 03:09 PM
You just can not make this stuff up.

ATLANTA (CBS Atlanta) – A former fifth-grade teacher implicated in a cheating scandal reportedly gave students the illegal assistance because she thought they were “dumb as hell.” (http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2012/08/28/school-teacher-helps-students-cheat-because-she-says-theyre-dumb-as-hell/)

boxcar
08-28-2012, 03:42 PM
You just can not make this stuff up.

ATLANTA (CBS Atlanta) – A former fifth-grade teacher implicated in a cheating scandal reportedly gave students the illegal assistance because she thought they were “dumb as hell.” (http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2012/08/28/school-teacher-helps-students-cheat-because-she-says-theyre-dumb-as-hell/)

I don't get it. All the teacher was doing was helping the kids keep their self-esteem intact. What's wrong with that? Where is the empathy on the part of the school for the poor kids? :eek:

Boxcar

HUSKER55
08-29-2012, 02:34 PM
The sad truth about education is that the child has to want it. Depending on a teacher will not cut it.

We can thank unions for that. We got bad teachers and bad postal clerks and you can not get rid of them.

There is a reason that online schools for general education are doing so well.

DJofSD
08-29-2012, 02:41 PM
It's a 3 legged stool: child, parents and teachers. And just like a real stool, loose 1 of the legs then it will not get the job done.

HUSKER55
08-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Good point!:ThmbUp:

TJDave
08-29-2012, 03:00 PM
The sad truth about education is that the child has to want it. Depending on a teacher will not cut it.

We can thank unions for that.

One has little to do with the other. It the responsibility of parents to have their children in the correct frame of mind and body to pay attention and learn while at school and to study and prepare assignments at home. Additionally, it is the responsibility of parents to teach their children if/when teachers do not.

DJofSD
08-29-2012, 03:03 PM
I have always told my son, I am your first and best teacher. If I had to, I could teach him all subjects through at least the first 4 years of university.

TJDave
08-29-2012, 03:37 PM
I have always told my son, I am your first and best teacher.

It is the main focus of parenthood. For those inclined, it is a requirement from God. Prospective parents who are unwilling or unable to teach and otherwise provide for children should not procreate.

Wagergirl
08-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Being a single mom for most of my daughter's schooling it was difficult to balance work, her schooling, and being a mom. But it has to be a priority to sit with your kids and help them do their homework. What I mean by "help" is not to do it for them, but to help teach them. There is only so much that they can absorb in a short 35-40 minute period. I believe it has to be approached as a team assignment. I have had to deal with teachers who do not approach it as being a team player, I find that children don't learn as well from teachers who aren't willing to work with the parents.

Not to mention the teachers that are so burnt out on teaching that they don't teach. My daughter's calculus teacher handed them the text book, and told them to read it and do the assignments. She did not once approach any child to help them to understand it. When I asked if my daughter could get extra help. The teacher told me to read the text book and help her. I transferred her out of that class and suggest she take a long vacation and remember why she got into teaching.

DJofSD
08-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Wagergirl, I wonder if that calculus teacher even knows the subject matter.

If you want to have a little fun, go back to that teacher and ask 'what is this stuff I see in the book about hospitals?' then see what is said.

Wagergirl
08-30-2012, 12:31 PM
I actually read that she will not be returning this year. She is taking a "much needed break" from what the school website states.

Daughter is enrolled in college this year. This should be fun.

DJofSD
08-30-2012, 01:08 PM
My son is starting 7th grade next week. I guess that means you're a little further down the parenthood road than I.

Good luck with the college education. Whatever your political leanings happen to be, I hope your daughter learns to think and analyze for herself -- how to think and not what to think.

Wagergirl
08-30-2012, 01:16 PM
That has always been one of the most important things I have tried to teach her. She is looking forward to voting this year. She is reading all the information she can find and working it out for herself.

DJofSD
08-30-2012, 01:21 PM
She sounds like a child any parent would be happy to call their own.

Good job, mom! College, voting and some day, a mother herself? Are you ready for being a grand ma?

Wagergirl
08-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Not just yet. She's got a few years of college to put behind her first. She wants to be a vet. She's a great kid. Good head on her shoulders.

Good luck with your 7th grader, I also have one of those. :-) SOOOO different from his older sister. :-)