PDA

View Full Version : Paynter

Pages : [1] 2

Tom
08-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Relapse, off to the horse hospital.
Retirement party reservations being accepted yet?

boom boom boom....
Another one bites the dust....another one bites the dust.
and another one gone, and another one gone,
Another one bites the dust.

FantasticDan
08-28-2012, 02:21 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/paynter-ill-again-being-treated-new-york

tucker6
08-28-2012, 02:30 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/paynter-ill-again-being-treated-new-york
The one comment is priceless. Must be a PA member.

Cholly
08-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Quick--get him to the breeding shed next to his big brother Bode. America needs more horses able to put together rugged six-race careers.

JustRalph
08-28-2012, 04:28 PM
West Nile?

nijinski
08-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Wishing Paynter a full recovery !

horses4courses
08-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Before the Haskell, some good judges of horse flesh in So. Cal were saying this fella was training like the best 3yo in the country.....by far.
He ran to that in N.J.
Shame this had to happen.

FantasticDan
08-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Update.. Paynter in real trouble:

http://www.drf.com/news/paynter-found-have-colitis-vet-expresses-great-concern

:(

nijinski
08-29-2012, 12:46 AM
:( Heartbreaking . I hope he pulls through this

menifee
08-29-2012, 02:34 AM
Relapse, off to the horse hospital.
Retirement party reservations being accepted yet?

boom boom boom....
Another one bites the dust....another one bites the dust.
and another one gone, and another one gone,
Another one bites the dust.

Classy comments regarding a horse that is gravely ill.

PaceAdvantage
08-29-2012, 02:52 AM
Classy comments regarding a horse that is gravely ill.That was written 7+ plus hours before anyone knew he was "gravely ill."

But thanks for your concern.

If you think that's classy, you should see how lots of thoroughbred trainers you may like and support treat their unwanted racehorses...hell, you should see how some treat their WANTED racehorses...condemning a guy for a post on a message board ain't gonna solve any real problems. But you don't need me to tell you that.

Feign away menifee...

Sysonby
08-29-2012, 08:53 AM
If they're worried about laminitis, they need to keep his lower legs in ice cold water as long as possible, doesn't hurt the horse and has been proven in studies to prevent laminitis from developing.

Praying he makes it through this.

FantasticDan
08-29-2012, 11:38 AM
The DRF twitter feed says that Paynter's vet sees "signs of improvement" this morning. Let's hope it continues.. :ThmbUp:

classhandicapper
08-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Someone has to explain to me why all roads seem to lead to laminitis. It seems to me the industry should be spending a lot of money to prevent and treat that condition.

FantasticDan
08-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Someone has to explain to me why all roads seem to lead to laminitis. It seems to me the industry should be spending a lot of money to prevent and treat that condition.I'm pretty sure they are, but it's just an insidious bastard. :ThmbDown:

Sysonby
08-29-2012, 03:11 PM
We're actually getting closer to understanding laminitis and that's why we now have info on effective treatment during the developmental stage. Even more exciting, there is now one study that indicates that cryotherapy (immersion of hoof area and lower legs in ice cold water) lowers the severity of laminitis even after the developmental stage and lameness has already been observed. We're going to beat this.

The only gap is we're not sure if the triggers are the same with supporting-limb laminitis as they are with carbohydrate-induced and sepsis-initiated laminitis, so we need more work on that as it is crucial for horses that suffer catastrophic injuries on the track like Barbaro.

menifee
08-29-2012, 05:39 PM
That was written 7+ plus hours before anyone knew he was "gravely ill."

But thanks for your concern.

If you think that's classy, you should see how lots of thoroughbred trainers you may like and support treat their unwanted racehorses...hell, you should see how some treat their WANTED racehorses...condemning a guy for a post on a message board ain't gonna solve any real problems. But you don't need me to tell you that.

Feign away menifee...

This from a guy who thinks Lukas is a good trainer and defends how he places his horses? The great hypocrite emerges once again.

Not4Love
08-29-2012, 10:27 PM
I absolutely am one who believes any trainer that wins near the 30% range is using something. There are derivatives of epo and Itpp that are available on the market and I think this drug (epo) had something to do with paynters ailment. How do we stop this if it is not illegal? The horses are suffering.

Sysonby
08-29-2012, 10:47 PM
EPO should be illegal to use on horses. The effects can be even worse than on human athletes and the effects on human athletes can be terrible. Over 20 cyclists, relatively young healthy people, have died from using this. Horses have died because it's been used on them. There's no way it should be legal to use.

nijinski
08-30-2012, 12:25 AM
I absolutely am one who believes any trainer that wins near the 30% range is using something. There are derivatives of epo and Itpp that are available on the market and I think this drug (epo) had something to do with paynters ailment. How do we stop this if it is not illegal? The horses are suffering.

You do know that rich grass , grains and stress can contribute to ailments
in healthy horses.

Sysonby
08-30-2012, 02:08 AM
You do know that rich grass , grains and stress can contribute to ailments
in healthy horses.

Yeah, don't think EPO would cause colitis. There are other things that would be more likely outcomes of EPO use, including heart failures, clots in the bloodstream and anemia so severe it can be fatal.

PaceAdvantage
08-30-2012, 02:53 AM
This from a guy who thinks Lukas is a good trainer and defends how he places his horses? The great hypocrite emerges once again.Let see...

-Trainer of 23 champion quarter horses
-Trainer of 24 champion thoroughbreds (Althea, Azeri, Boston Harbor, Capote, Charismatic, Criminal Type, Family Style, Flanders, Folklore, Golden Attraction, Gulch, Lady’s Secret, Landaluce, Life’s Magic, North Sider, Open Mind, Orientate, Sacahuista, Serena’s Song, Steinlen, Surfside, Thunder Gulch, Timber Country and Winning Colors)
-14 times he was the year's leading trainer in terms of money won
-Won 16 training titles in New York alone
-Won the Kentucky Derby four times
-Won the Preakness five times
-Won the Belmont Stakes four times
-Won six consecutive Triple Crown races including all three in one year
-Won 18 Breeders' Cup races
-Trained three Horses of the Year (interestingly enough, only one of them was a three-year-old, putting a bit of a kibosh on those who love to claim he couldn't train older horses)
-Four-time Eclipse Award winner for Outstanding Trainer
-Only trainer enshrined in both the QH and Tbred Halls of Fame
-His disciples have gone on to amazing success themselves (Todd Pletcher, Kiaran McLaughlin, Mark Hennig, Dallas Stewart, George Weaver, Randy Bradshaw)

Yeah, he pretty much sucks balls as a trainer, doesn't he?

Clueless doesn't begin to describe you in this regard.

cj
08-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Let see...

-Trainer of 24 champion thoroughbreds (Althea, Azeri, Boston Harbor, Capote, Charismatic, Criminal Type, Family Style, Flanders, Folklore, Golden Attraction, Gulch, Lady’s Secret, Landaluce, Life’s Magic, North Sider, Open Mind, Orientate, Sacahuista, Serena’s Song, Steinlen, Surfside, Thunder Gulch, Timber Country and Winning Colors)
-Trained three Horses of the Year (interestingly enough, only one of them was a three-year-old, putting a bit of a kibosh on those who love to claim he couldn't train older horses)
-His disciples have gone on to amazing success themselves (Todd Pletcher, Kiaran McLaughlin, Mark Hennig, Dallas Stewart, George Weaver, Randy Bradshaw)

That's it? Man, Lucas sucks.

Saratoga_Mike
08-30-2012, 10:05 AM
That's it? Man, Lucas sucks.

He's accomplished a lot, no doubt, but what happened to him? His stock may be marginally worse today than 10 yrs ago, but overall he gets his fair share of very nice horses. Maybe he doesn't rely on the vet as much as his peers? He's winning at an 8% clip this yr?

tzipi
08-30-2012, 10:10 AM
It's easy to know Lukas is one of the greatest trainers of all time Menifee. Pace's post speaks volumes.

tzipi
08-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Maybe he doesn't rely on the vet as much as his peers? He's winning at an 8% clip this yr?

The game has changed and some guys won't change with it like Jack Van Berg, Lukas and others. But I will bet my last dollar that Lukas and Jack could out train any of these so called superstar trainers any day of the week on an even level.

horses4courses
08-30-2012, 10:19 AM
The game has changed and some guys won't change with it like Jack Van Berg, Lukas and others. But I will bet my last dollar that Lukas and Jack could out train any of these so called superstar trainers any day of the week on an even level.

Absolutely :ThmbUp:

So many people can't get past "what have you done for me lately?" in this game.
History does matter - and those are two of the best right there.

Tom
08-30-2012, 10:50 AM

Unless you are betting.;)

sammy the sage
08-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Let see...

Yep...and he's performed like Bobby Bowden did his LAST several years as a coach

The here and NOW is what matters...imho

cj
08-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Yep...and he's performed like Bobby Bowden did his LAST several years as a coach

The here and NOW is what matters...imho

As a bettor, of course that is right. But for the sport, we need more guys like Lukas and less like TP that rarely run horses and can't keep them sound for the life of him.

menifee
08-30-2012, 01:13 PM
This from a guy who thinks Lukas is a good trainer and defends how he places his horses? The great hypocrite emerges once again.

Does anyone notice how I used the present tense and not the past tense. Pace may not understand the difference, but I think most do. Of course, Lukas was a good trainer in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. Everybody knows that. He's horrible now. He constantly places horses in way over their head and runs 2yo horses into the ground. BTW, he is not Jack Van Berg. Lukas actually gets good horses - he just turns them into bad horses.

GaryG
08-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Remember how he used to win every 2yo race in sight? Well, in the last year Lukas is 2 for 74 with 2yo. Both wins were in turf routes.

nijinski
08-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Zayats tweeted they are driving up to see Paynter . They said he had a rough

night . This is a tough battle and I hope better news comes today.

Thoughts and prayers for Paynter.

FantasticDan
08-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Zayats tweeted they are driving up to see Paynter . They said he had a rough night . This is a tough battle and I hope better news comes today.

Thoughts and prayers for Paynter.Here's an article in today's Daily News..

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/paynter-owner-ahmed-zayat-praying-ailing-horse-article-1.1147960

And if it's not too much to ask.. this thread is about Paynter, not bickering about D Wayne Lukas or any other unrelated topic. :mad:

cj
08-30-2012, 01:45 PM
And if it's not too much to ask.. this thread is about Paynter, not bickering about D Wayne Lukas or any other unrelated topic. :mad:

Threads almost always take a lot of twists and turns. If we stopped one every time posts strayed from the thread title, about 90% would be closed.

Tom
08-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Does anyone notice how I used the present tense and not the past tense. Pace may not understand the difference, but I think most do. Of course, Lukas was a good trainer in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. Everybody knows that. He's horrible now. He constantly places horses in way over their head and runs 2yo horses into the ground. BTW, he is not Jack Van Berg. Lukas actually gets good horses - he just turns them into bad horses.

Does anyone notice how this whole Lukas thing has no bearing on this thread is just another troll topic?

FantasticDan
08-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Threads almost always take a lot of twists and turns. If we stopped one every time posts strayed from the thread title, about 90% would be closed.No one's asking you to stop the thread, but this one was taken off-course for absolutely no good reason. If folks want to debate the merits of Lukas, start another one.

On any other forum, such a suggestion would only be common sense and courtesy, but here, well, there's gotta be a fight about everything..

tzipi
08-30-2012, 02:06 PM

I think we should get back to the Paynter topic because not sure how Lukas pertains to Paynter here, but I will end on this. Lukas, Van Berg, and others did NOT just wake up one day and forget how to train. They're still great trainers. It's a different game they are in today. Some years ago, great trainers started winning less and "super trainers" started winning everything in sight even with average horses.

Anyway I hope Paynter pulls through. I'm sure they have the best on top of him,. Enjoyed watching him run and hope he pulls out of this well. :ThmbUp:

menifee
08-30-2012, 02:20 PM
I think we should get back to the Paynter topic because not sure how Lukas pertains to Paynter here, but I will end on this. Lukas, Van Berg, and others did NOT just wake up one day and forget how to train. They're still great trainers. It's a different game they are in today. Some years ago, great trainers started winning less and "super trainers" started winning everything in sight even with average horses.

Anyway I hope Paynter pulls through. I'm sure they have the best on top of him,. Enjoyed watching him run and hope he pulls out of this well. :ThmbUp:

Best wishes and prayers are with Paynter.

cj
08-30-2012, 02:30 PM
No one's asking you to stop the thread, but this one was taken off-course for absolutely no good reason. If folks want to debate the merits of Lukas, start another one.

On any other forum, such a suggestion would only be common sense and courtesy, but here, well, there's gotta be a fight about everything..

I'm not fighting about anything. The owner and another moderator (me) are both obviously aware the thread has strayed since we both participated. So, I was just letting you know why. Your little angry face implied you were angry at us. Making a suggestion with an angry emoticon is more than a suggestion, and certainly not common courtesy.

FantasticDan
08-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Your little angry face implied you were angry at us. Making a suggestion with an angry emoticon is more than a suggestion, and certainly not common courtesy.The angry face was irritation at the topic going awry, not at anyone who participated in taking it that way.

cj
08-30-2012, 03:38 PM
The angry face was irritation at the topic going awry, not at anyone who participated in taking it that way.

Ok, we'll just move on in whatever direction the thread takes. I certainly wish the horse well.

Not4Love
08-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Come on. I understand you are considering other factors, but I'm ruling out rich grains and green grass. That's just me. The FREAKEN horse are getting something that is enabling them to run (faster than they normally would). What happened to all the other triple crown horses? Was it because of rich grass? No! I'll tell you what it was. You got two near 30% percent trainers whose horses are giving there lives to the wire in two of the most difficult races in the game . What happened? Where are they? And don't forget the Belmont. The Belmont you have a average % trainer whose horse duels to the wire with a 30%. This is the never discussed part of it. The horses not on this stuff (epo) are getting killed having to run against it.

Yeah I'm crazy and also broke. n4l

nijinski
08-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Come on. I understand you are considering other factors, but I'm ruling out rich grains and green grass. That's just me. The FREAKEN horse are getting something that is enabling them to run (faster than they normally would). What happened to all the other triple crown horses? Was it because of rich grass? No! I'll tell you what it was. You got two near 30% percent trainers whose horses are giving there lives to the wire in two of the most difficult races in the game . What happened? Where are they? And don't forget the Belmont. The Belmont you have a average % trainer whose horse duels to the wire with a 30%. This is the never discussed part of it. The horses not on this stuff (epo) are getting killed having to run against it.

Yeah I'm crazy and also broke. n4l

Youi forgot the "stress" part which happens with some horses , even travel
can bring it on.
So basically you believe Baffert is a cheat and is killing his horses along with the other 30% trainers . and he just happened to choose the Belmont Stakes with those stringent rules in place . :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
08-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Does anyone notice how I used the present tense and not the past tense. Pace may not understand the difference, but I think most do. Of course, Lukas was a good trainer in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. Everybody knows that. He's horrible now. He constantly places horses in way over their head and runs 2yo horses into the ground. BTW, he is not Jack Van Berg. Lukas actually gets good horses - he just turns them into bad horses. Well then perhaps you should pull up posts as evidence where I state Lukas is currently a good trainer...Other then winning the training title at Oaklawn (which in sure you'll dismiss, he hasn't done much of anything, so why would I write he is good now?

I didn't...but I wouldn't be surprised to see him rise again, as he has in the past when he's been counted out...of course father time isn't quite on his side these days...

horses4courses
08-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Just read through a long series of tweets Justin Zayat sent out today.
It's very emotional stuff. The next 24 hours are crucial.
They're doing everything they can.

Recent photo entitled "Paynter and his wonderful doctor":

https://p.twimg.com/A1lLeA8CQAE9IwA.jpg

Sysonby
08-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Judging from that picture, all I can say is, "Crap!" This is really frustrating!

Not4Love
08-30-2012, 08:32 PM
So. I'm done for a while if this horse doesn't make it. He was one of my favorites. I've got a very bad feeling about this.

FantasticDan
08-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Paynter's fever still holding at 103, but his connections say his bloodwork and appetite are better today, so describing it as a "good day". His feet are also good.. :ThmbUp:

tucker6
08-31-2012, 03:06 PM
So. I'm done for a while if this horse doesn't make it. He was one of my favorites. I've got a very bad feeling about this.
he's in good hands. You can't ask for more than that.

Not4Love
08-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Well, I never said he was a "cheat". Never once. What I said twice was that the stuff they are using is LEGAL. I have no proof. But I do have proof that chad brown (30% trainer), broke down 3 at the Saratoga meet. One broke down tragically on the lead in the stretch. Baffert ? There are a ton of them. Remember Princess Arabella? I can name more if you like. Just let me know.

Not4Love
08-31-2012, 06:26 PM
I was responding to Nijinski's comments

nijinski
08-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Paynter's fever still holding at 103, but his connections say his bloodwork and appetite are better today, so describing it as a "good day". His feet are also good.. :ThmbUp:

Temp broke , he's a tough fighter . Really hoping that things stay positive and he gets through this.
So many showing so much care and concern and the Zayats have been very forthcoming , sharing updates with his fans .

Sysonby
08-31-2012, 07:48 PM
the last Blood Horse story was pretty reassuring. This is a nasty illness but it sounds like they're doing everything right, and protecting him from laminitis at the same time. Hopefully, this upswing continues.

nijinski
08-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Well, I never said he was a "cheat". Never once. What I said twice was that the stuff they are using is LEGAL. I have no proof. But I do have proof that chad brown (30% trainer), broke down 3 at the Saratoga meet. One broke down tragically on the lead in the stretch. Baffert ? There are a ton of them. Remember Princess Arabella? I can name more if you like. Just let me know.

Perhaps Chad has just had some misfortune this summer . He seems to be a fine young trainer who has earned those percentages with hard work .

FantasticDan
08-31-2012, 09:12 PM
Zayat now reporting that Paynter's fever has broken and his attitude has improved significantly.. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

precocity
08-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Zayat now reporting that Paynter's fever has broken and his attitude has improved significantly.. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
great to hear that, get well paynter :ThmbUp:

Dahoss9698
08-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Perhaps Chad has just had some misfortune this summer . He seems to be a fine young trainer who has earned those percentages with hard work .

I'm just curious, do you think any trainers are using some kind of edge? It seems like everytime a conversation turns to a trainer possibly cheating you defend the trainer, regardless of their violations.

nijinski
08-31-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm just curious, do you think any trainers are using some kind of edge? It seems like everytime a conversation turns to a trainer possibly cheating you defend the trainer, regardless of their violations.

I wouldn't defend them if it were proven they were using narcotics , strong
stimulants and such. I just think from what I see , that the overages these trainers , such as Dutrow had , use what everyone else is using .

There are are very few that don't use these meds . That's why I defend them , I don't like witch hunts.

I'm not saying everyone is honest . Just my observations on a few we've discusses here.

Dahoss9698
08-31-2012, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't defend them if it were proven they were using narcotics , strong
stimulants and such. I just think from what I see , that the overages these trainers , such as Dutrow had , use what everyone else is using .

There are are very few that don't use these meds . That's why I defend them , I don't like witch hunts.

I'm not saying everyone is honest . Just my observations on a few we've discusses here.

So cheating is okay as long as everyone else is doing it too?

nijinski
09-01-2012, 12:17 AM
So cheating is okay as long as everyone else is doing it too?
No , I believe overages of the permitted meds are sloppiness . I never said anything about cheating.

Dahoss9698
09-01-2012, 10:46 AM
No , I believe overages of the permitted meds are sloppiness . I never said anything about cheating.

When you're consistently over on meds, it shows you have no regard for the rules. You're attempting to get an edge and you're not concerned with the rules.

Call it sloppy, cheating...whatever. We as horseplayers and fans of this game shouldn't take such a cavalier attitude about it.

nijinski
09-01-2012, 01:10 PM
When you're consistently over on meds, it shows you have no regard for the rules. You're attempting to get an edge and you're not concerned with the rules.

Call it sloppy, cheating...whatever. We as horseplayers and fans of this game shouldn't take such a cavalier attitude about it.

I have no problem if they put the purse in jeopardy for those breaking the
rules.
The punishment should be equal for everyone whether they're fines or suspensions.

I came in here in this thread defending Baffert and Brown . The reason was
because a poster is insinuating that one horses illness and three other
breakdowns are likely the fault of their high percentage trainer's use of substances.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion , but strong accusations like these , that are not fact based can be debated.

nijinski
09-04-2012, 03:19 AM
Been a real roller coaster ride . Paynter's had a setback and he really needs
strength and prayers to beat this . Had a few good days , now infection and clots in the catheter area .
Justin Zayat is sounding very emotionally drained. He's said many times he
appreciates all the prayers.

Baffert has mentioned how much of a fighter this horse is and that what he's going through is going to need a tough fight.
Keep the prayers coming guys.

Bob Baffert just suffered his own loss. His Dad has passed on. .
He called him Chief and said he was an amazing Mentor and
he's going to miss him terribly.
Condolences to all in the Baffert family .

Shelby
09-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Been a real roller coaster ride . Paynter's had a setback and he really needs
strength and prayers to beat this . Had a few good days , now infection and clots in the catheter area .
Justin Zayat is sounding very emotionally drained. He's said many times he
appreciates all the prayers.

Baffert has mentioned how much of a fighter this horse is and that what he's going through is going to need a tough fight.
Keep the prayers coming guys.

Bob Baffert just suffered his own loss. His Dad has passed on. .
He called him Chief and said he was an amazing Mentor and
he's going to miss him terribly.
Condolences to all in the Baffert family .

Oh man, I thought he was out of the woods. :(

FantasticDan
09-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Been a real roller coaster ride . Paynter's had a setback and he really needs strength and prayers to beat this . Had a few good days , now infection and clots in the catheter area.Article that sums up the latest setbacks:

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/news/article.cgi?id=31461

Sysonby
09-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Damn, hope he pulls through this.

Shelby
09-04-2012, 01:35 PM
A lot of new tweets from Mr. Zayat. Heartbreaking.

@JustinZayat (https://twitter.com/JustinZayat) Paynter update: Paynter situation continues to get worse. He had a bad night and not such a good morning. I have spent

significant time speaking to his angel Dr. Laura as well as Dr. Mark Cheney and other renowned vets all over the country..
Unfortunately we have a very sick horse. who has developed serious complications in the last 24 hours. Other than fighting

bravely his colitis, he continues to have Diarrhea as well as his protein blood level is very low. we continue to give him

plasma to help him out. His blood work continues to be good as well as his temp so on a stand alone basis he is fighting
bravely and hard the colitis and we he continues to make some progress fighting that disease on the other hand as I have

explained in my tweets yesterday that he is developing a new issue about his veins being swollen. a disease that is called

DIC which stands for disseminated intravascular coagulopathy the most concerning news is as of last night he started becoming

eczema but it has worsened because today he has been diagnosed with our nightmare scenario of laminitis it seems it is rapidly

progressing after taking additoinal xrays of the foot and discussing with some foot experts. Dr. Laura have found out that he
has developed it in 3 of his 4 legs, which is heartbreaking. Poor Paynter, i dont know how long hecan fight this out so bravely

without having pain and suffering. so far laura is very conscious of that and having his pain under control. But we needto look

at all these problems. My deep concern is that he if he is a healthy horse he can fight laminitis since it is the beginning

but to be a sick horse and fight all these issues all at once, it is asking for too much. We need to be compassionate and
merciful and treat our star with the respect and lovethat he deserves while giving him the best chance in fighting for his life

:(:(:(

(I need to look up laminitis again. I still don't understand why it occurs.)

Shelby
09-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Two more:

please pray. those are very detailed tweets. as i am at loss in whats the right thing to do here but i will leave it up to his

caring and loving vet to decide what are the right courses of action. please pray for pain free paynter.

Beachbabe
09-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Geeze, I'm certainly not a vet nor the owner, but with all these debilitating illnesses cropping up at the same time, it seems to me (and this is my own uneducated opinion) that this poor animal is fighting a losing battle and should be put down. He looks to be suffering too, too much.

Striker
09-04-2012, 02:15 PM
that this poor animal is fighting a losing battle and should be put down. He looks to be suffering too, too much.
It is sounding more like that is going to be the action taken in the near future.

FantasticDan
09-04-2012, 02:27 PM
DRF update:

http://www.drf.com/news/paynter-found-have-rapidly-progressing-laminitis

What a freaking nightmare. :( :ThmbDown:

Grits
09-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Geeze, I'm certainly not a vet nor the owner, but with all these debilitating illnesses cropping up at the same time, it seems to me (and this is my own uneducated opinion) that this poor animal is fighting a losing battle and should be put down. He looks to be suffering too, too much.

I agree, Beach. They are not serving the comfort and well being of the horse. As much as they think they're doing the right thing, they're further harming him as he's struggling so to hang on. His system cannot function on all the painkillers, much less continue to fight with laminitis piled on.

Let him go.

PaceAdvantage
09-04-2012, 04:35 PM
It seems from reading the tweets and such that they are not going to let him battle on much longer.

I am not going to pass judgement (and I hope nobody else will either) on what ultimate direction they decide to go...either battle just a little longer, or let him go...

He is their horse and that is their decision, along with the vets who are treating him.

Grits
09-04-2012, 04:41 PM
I didn't mean to sound adamant, you're right, it is THEIR horse and THEIR decision. But when laminitis sets in on top of a critical illness that a horse is already dealing with, I'm sorry, I cannot handle that kind of suffering. So, its JMHO, time to end the fight.:(

OntheRail
09-04-2012, 05:44 PM

It's a hard thing to do... once that decision is made there is no coming back no reversing it. They are reconciling that choice in their mind at this moment with a eye on miracle.

bushwick
09-04-2012, 05:57 PM
will probably play into the descision. If insured they will want the go ahead from the insurance company before putting him down.

magwell
09-04-2012, 06:52 PM
This is so heartbreaking..... we keep seeing why this is "the toughest game played outdoors" it will humble the strongest of people, and we only hear about the good ones........:(

forced89
09-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Doesn't sound good. But I have to give kudos to Zayat. He is doing everything he can and sounds truly concerned and caring!!

nijinski
09-04-2012, 08:24 PM
The Zayats have said they do not want him suffer . I imagine it will not be
much longer .
His system is failing , what a heartbreak.
whether it was just colitis or colitis x , which sounds doubtful . Horses don't
do well with this . I think the Vets let them the Zayats know from early on it could be fatal. He 's just such a fighter , so damn . :(

horses4courses
09-04-2012, 08:54 PM
UPDATED TUESDAY, 8:45 p.m. EDT: (From Ahmed Zayat @jazz3162 on Twitter: "Here is what we are trying to do to help Paynter fight his battle. It will take a miracle but he is a fighter. Paynter had mild signs of foot pain today and mild radiographic changes. We flew in Dr. Bryan Fraley, an affiliate of the Hagyard Equine Medical Center to evaluate him this afternoon and placed casts to support his feet. He was very good for the procedure. His appetite has been greatly improved today and the diarrhea is improving. We are hopeful but are taking it day by day and his comfort is our first concern. Please pray the hardest you can. We still want to give him the chance to fight it as long as he is telling us he wants to. #keepfightingpaynter #warrior"

nijinski
09-04-2012, 09:09 PM
UPDATED TUESDAY, 8:45 p.m. EDT: (From Ahmed Zayat @jazz3162 on Twitter: "Here is what we are trying to do to help Paynter fight his battle. It will take a miracle but he is a fighter. Paynter had mild signs of foot pain today and mild radiographic changes. We flew in Dr. Bryan Fraley, an affiliate of the Hagyard Equine Medical Center to evaluate him this afternoon and placed casts to support his feet. He was very good for the procedure. His appetite has been greatly improved today and the diarrhea is improving. We are hopeful but are taking it day by day and his comfort is our first concern. Please pray the hardest you can. We still want to give him the chance to fight it as long as he is telling us he wants to. #keepfightingpaynter #warrior"

The ups and downs are unbelievable. Gotta give credit to the owners , they are going all out .

NY BRED
09-04-2012, 09:29 PM
for the record, I can identify with the hard decision Mr.Zayat
is facing as my 5 year old Malibu Moon mare suffered with colic
three weeks ago while at our farm and was rushed to Upstate Equine
where Paynter is now being treated.

In our case, and I'm sure in the case of Paynter, should the surgeon(s)
determine Paynter be euthanized the insurer can not disclaim coverage.

This statement is offered first as an Insurance Broker and consultant
secondly as an owner.

In our case, the mare was rushed to Upstate Equine from our farm
in Saratoga, and I was advised she had colic. I placed a call to the
Insurer, and their claims rep contacted the facility and farm for
information regarding the symptoms and illness. Seventy two hours
the Surgeons recommended euthanizing our mare, and a recording was taken confirming their opinion and my authorization for them to
end the suffering of our mare.

Larger racing operations generally don't purchase Mortality coverage, but
once a horse begins winning allowance or graded races, and/or
appears to be a champion, Insurance is strongly considered in
an effort to protect the owner from a devastating loss.

Tracy and Steve are Board Certified Surgeons at UEH , located about 30 minutes from the track.Both are transparent, patient and truly care about their patients and mission in life.

God bless Paynter and his owner, I"m hoping they can win
this race....

thespaah
09-04-2012, 10:39 PM
I am amazed that a horse could get so many ailments so serious at one time.
I am sorry to state this, but the laminitis is probably the last straw.
Sadly, I do not think Paynter can recover. This really sucks.
I hate it for the horse.
Dammit!

tucker6
09-05-2012, 10:10 PM
From Brisnet.com

Paynter's condition improves slightly

Owner Ahmed Zayat revealed at midday Wednesday that the health of Grade 1 Haskell Invitational winner Paynter had shown slight improvement. The son of Awesome Again has battled colitis for more than a week and recently developed laminitis and three of his four feet.

"We still have Paynter in our lives (and) for that we are blessed," Zayat wrote on Twitter. "Paynter continues to go through a rollercoaster sickness with significant complications. Ironically today (he's) having a decent day, he is one tough horse!

"It is admirable but heartbreaking. On the positive side, he stays comfortable in his new cast fitting, unbelievably so -- that according to Dr. Laura (Javsicas who) says he is actually walking around comfortably in them. What a star!! On the negative side, he continues to fight his colitis hard. His fever is higher today than we would want it. The protein levels continue to be low.

"He still has diarrhea, but amazingly enough his attitude is better and his appetite continues to improve. He is fighting and we will keep praying for him to fight as long as we are sensitive to his needs. Again, our primary concern is his comfort."

luvalab
09-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Was at Pimlico when he won on Preakness day. He didn't beat much that day, but he sure looked good doing it! I hate to hear this news about him, here's hoping he can pull through.

tucker6
09-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Update from late Wednesday. Some additional progress from Paynter. If he can pull out of that tailspin he was in, then he has the heart of a champion.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2012/09/05/paynter-wednesday-update.aspx

Zayat posted another update later Wednesday saying that Paynter was continuing to run an intermittent low-grade fever, but his blood work continued to be normal and he was walking comfortably. The colt's diarrhea resolved and he passed formed manure for the first time in several days.

bushwick
09-06-2012, 08:52 AM
I am surprised by the reversal in health. Have to admit I thought the end was near. Hope the upward trend continues!

horses4courses
09-06-2012, 11:23 AM
So far so good - he's hanging in there :ThmbUp:

A.ZAYAT‏@jazz3162

@justinzayat He is walking very comfortably in the stall. He continues to have low protein levels but his edema has improved dramatically.

A.ZAYAT‏@jazz3162

@justinzayat Paynter update: Paynter was comfortable overnight and has been eating well. He continues to pass soft formed manure.

Expand Reply
Retweet

Favorite

tzipi
09-06-2012, 12:35 PM
So far so good - he's hanging in there :ThmbUp:

A.ZAYAT‏@jazz3162

@justinzayat He is walking very comfortably in the stall. He continues to have low protein levels but his edema has improved dramatically.

A.ZAYAT‏@jazz3162

@justinzayat Paynter update: Paynter was comfortable overnight and has been eating well. He continues to pass soft formed manure.

Expand Reply
Retweet

Favorite

Great news. :ThmbUp:

Tom
09-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Good to hear!

Grits
09-06-2012, 02:02 PM
This animal is really putting up a fight. Bless him. He's one courageous fella! Hope he continues to improve, against all odds.

Striker
09-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Love seeing at least some good news that zayat tweeted in that Paynter's edema has improved and has been eating. Hopefully it gets better from here.

thespaah
09-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Just has to defeat the Laminitis.
Barbaro contracted Laminitis and it was fatal.
Hopefully this will not be the case this time.
Fingers crossed.

FantasticDan
09-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Positive report today..

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2012/09/07/positive-developments-for-paynter-on-friday.aspx

tucker6
09-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Positive report today..

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2012/09/07/positive-developments-for-paynter-on-friday.aspx
yes, nicely positive. He appears to be turning a corner with regard to the colitis and his fever/protein levels. However, it will be several weeks at least before we'll know how he's battling the laminitis, although early signs are that he is taking to his casts well. He just needs to get well enough now so he can deal appropriately with the laminitis. An unhealthy horse will always fight an uphill battle against that disease.

tucker6
09-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Another good update this evening from Zayat:

Paynter update: Doing well. Protein stable. Feet comfortable.Temp 101.3. We are stopping the iv antibiotic and will monitor fevers. he is stable and comfortable. He has a long way to go but this is a step in the right direction. He's fighting hard. Keep praying for OUR star. He can pull through this!!

FantasticDan
09-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Paynter taken outside to graze :ThmbUp:

http://www.drf.com/news/paynter-grazes-outside-continues-show-improvement

PaceAdvantage
09-10-2012, 07:08 PM
With such bad news recently, I'm not going to get super-excited about all this good news, knowing how all this can turn in an instant. However, I will say I am quite happy this team has been as patient as they have been with this particular "patient," and did not decide to pull the plug too quickly. Now the cynics out there (and I am definitely one) will say they kept on keeping on due to his value as a stud prospect, however, even I, the cynic, can't buy that...

I found this particular quote very encouraging:

"In fact, there has been much improvement from the way his feet looked before being in the cast. So she feels very hopeful and encouraged that if we continue to have comfortable feet and we feel blessed that this courageous Paynter, not only [has] beaten colitis but he has a very good chance of beating laminitis."

nijinski
09-10-2012, 08:22 PM
He is amazing . I'm thrilled to hear things have calmed down and he's moving forward.
His laminitis was caught very early and apparently he had a mild case .
Hoping he keeps getting stronger each day.

FantasticDan
09-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Paynter grazing yesterday.. :ThmbUp:

http://a.yfrog.com/img859/7964/g3udd.jpg

horses4courses
09-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Paynter continues to make good progress :ThmbUp:

Sample of recent tweets:

A.ZAYAT‏@jazz3162

@JustinZayat He continues to fight real hard and he is winning. In fact, I am getting really upbeat about his total prognosis

3h A.ZAYAT‏@jazz3162

@JustinZayat All in all Dr. Laura is very happy with his progress. Paynter has an amazing desire to beat all odds

3h A.ZAYAT‏@jazz3162

@JustinZayat Enjoying his new variety of goodies and hay that he has been given. Went out again yesterday for grazing and play time.

A.ZAYAT‏@jazz3162

@JustinZayat or his review and 2nd opinion. Our conversation made me very hopeful. He confirmed to us what other vets have told us

5:46 AM - 12 Sep 12
3h A.ZAYAT‏@jazz3162

@JustinZayat for a full recovery. I was very happy after my call with Dr. Larry Bramlage. We sent him x rays of Paynters feet

3h A.ZAYAT‏@jazz3162

@JustinZayat No Fever, Blood work great, Feet comfortable and walking sound on them.

precocity
09-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Paynter grazing yesterday.. :ThmbUp:

http://a.yfrog.com/img859/7964/g3udd.jpg
great pic what a fighter paynter is :ThmbUp:

strapper
09-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Thrilled Paynter is doing better now but shocked the owner thinks he can come back and run! :confused:

FantasticDan
09-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Thrilled Paynter is doing better now but shocked the owner thinks he can come back and run! :confused:I thought the same thing :eek: , but apparently that is indeed the opinion of Larry Bramlage after seeing the X-rays..

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2012/09/12/paynter-wednesday-update.aspx

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

tucker6
09-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Zayat tweet a few hours ago. Good news keeps flowing:

our BIG BOY ,is having a good morning , so far everything is good, attitude , apeptite ,even Temp 100.7. walking sound and comfortable. laura changedhis bandages ,all looking great maunure solid he is healing keep praying.

Paynter grazing yesterday:

https://yfrog.com/h2m14jzyj:iphone (http://yfrog.com/h2m14jzyj)

PaceAdvantage
09-14-2012, 10:11 PM
This is encouraging...and a story that needs to be told to all those who think the horsemen in this game don't take care of their horses. Then again, the cynics will just say this one was worth more so they went that extra mile. :rolleyes:

horses4courses
09-14-2012, 11:42 PM
This is encouraging...and a story that needs to be told to all those who think the horsemen in this game don't take care of their horses. Then again, the cynics will just say this one was worth more so they went that extra mile. :rolleyes:

There are always skeptics, you're right.
While there's no doubt that this fellow is well insured, it was clear from the get-go that they really love this colt.
Way more than a number on a balance sheet..... :ThmbUp:

FantasticDan
09-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Latest updates from Paynter are a mixed bag.. he's continuing to spike fevers and his GI tract is still inflamed.. everything else doing fine..

nijinski
09-19-2012, 01:08 AM
Latest updates from Paynter are a mixed bag.. he's continuing to spike fevers and his GI tract is still inflamed.. everything else doing fine..
I hear they are going to try a new mix of antibiotics as they need to get
the fever and inflammation under control .
Still a delicate situation , but his care has been amazing and he still fights .

pandy
09-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Mr. Zayat was just interviewed on TVG and said that the last 24 hours have been good for Paynter, but it's still obviously a precarious situation. He said that Paynter is eating and walking and doing better, good news. He is giving updates on twitter. He said that it's important for the industry to have full disclosure and keep the fans updated about the horses.

Tom
09-19-2012, 12:41 PM
:ThmbUp:

When does Joe Drape write an article on the excellent care this horse is getting?

tucker6
09-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Great update today:

Paynter update: NEWS FLASH.. OMG OMG OMG thank you lord power of prayers. Our warrior had Dr. Brian Fraley flown in from KY to visit him and wow yes he has beaten Laminitis. And yes he can race again. Here are the details..

Paynter's casts were removed today. He is showing uniform wall growth in all four feet. Radiographs taken barefoot showed significant sole growth. The hoof-lamellar zone has returned to a normal thickness indicating a decrease in swelling within the hoof.Soft-ride boots with EVA foam pads were placed on the front feet and EVA foam pads were placed on the hind feet. He is sound at the walk Drs. Javsicas & Fraley are optimistic that his feet will not be performance limiting. Meaning that he can race again at a top-notch level.

Now that our warrior have beaten this sick disease of laminitis if he can
only beat his colitis and get his G1 track back to normal.Healing will take some time but we are heading in the right direction. His fever is normal today. He is bright, happy and comfortable. I am on cloud nine, I will take it day by day.

We can’t claim victory yet but the people’s horse is fighting hard and he is so courageous.

Striker
09-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Great update today:

Meaning that he can race again at a top-notch level.
We can’t claim victory yet but the people’s horse is fighting hard and he is so courageous.
Already a tremendous story, but if he makes it back to the racetrack that would be truly remarkable. Hope he can do it.

Paseana
09-21-2012, 05:07 PM

When does Joe Drape write an article on the excellent care this horse is getting?

Hah! Be careful what you wish for! Not that you ARE wishin'.......just sayin'.

The only way he writes on Paynter's fight and the care he's being given is to find the most negative spin he can to lay on it. More than likely, it would be that the only reason he's being cared for like this is his value and nothing more. He would say that if Paynter were just another horse in the shedrow, he would have been "killed" weeks ago. And believe me, that's the word he would use too........not words like "euthanized" or "humanely put down". Not enough shock value in those.

Sheesh!

tucker6
10-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Paynter is taking a road trip this morning to New Bolton. An ultrasound found the reason for the continued fever spikes. An abcess on the colon. May need some type of surgery as long term use of antibiotics can be more dangerous to a horse than surgery. Overall, the news is good though. He has started regaining weight after dropping from 1,100 to 912 pounds. That's nearly 20% body weight. Good article spelling out everything in detail here:

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/zayat-paynter-transferring-to-new-bolton/

Tom
10-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Came out of surgery alright - story on PA homepage.

FantasticDan
10-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Came out of surgery alright - story on PA homepage.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/73250/paynter-pulls-through-surgery

Thomas Roulston
10-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Maybe if the breeders bred for stamina rather than speed, speed, speed, there wouldn't be so many injuries to horses?

tucker6
10-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Maybe if the breeders bred for stamina rather than speed, speed, speed, there wouldn't be so many injuries to horses?
while I may agree with that sentiment, what does that have to do with colitis??

raybo
10-04-2012, 11:22 AM
while I may agree with that sentiment, what does that have to do with colitis??

Agree. Paynter's problem has nothing to do with an injury. Glad they finally figured out why he had the fever problems. Hopefully he will recover fully and, maybe, get back to racing(?). I really like this horse!

FantasticDan
10-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Paynter following surgery:

http://a.yfrog.com/img640/614/ijshkm.jpg

tucker6
10-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Paynter following surgery:

That's one thin looking horse. He lost a lot of muscle mass around the neck area and I bet the ribs are showing too. Poor guy. Thankfully, he should be past bottom now and rising from here. Even if he fully recovers, I wonder how much this illness took out of him in order to become a top level racehorse again. Will too long out from under a saddle make him less hungry to train and win?

raybo
10-04-2012, 12:13 PM
That's one thin looking horse. He lost a lot of muscle mass around the neck area and I bet the ribs are showing too. Poor guy. Thankfully, he should be past bottom now and rising from here. Even if he fully recovers, I wonder how much this illness took out of him in order to become a top level racehorse again. Will too long out from under a saddle make him less hungry to train and win?

I guess only time will tell, but I believe, if Paynter has anything to say about it, he'll be rearing to go, once he gets his weight and strength back. I doubt he will have a problem with training, most thoroughbreds love to run.

Will he be as good as he once was? Who knows, I'm just hoping we get the chance to find out.

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Poor guy must be thinking at this point..."who the hell did I piss off in this world to have to deal with all this shit karma?" :eek:

raybo
10-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Poor guy must be thinking at this point..."who the hell did I piss off in this world to have to deal with all this shit karma?" :eek:

Yeah he's been through some tough times. Too bad they didn't diagnose the problem earlier.

nijinski
10-05-2012, 01:29 AM
Everyone would love to see him on the track again I'm sure . I know I
would. Looking at the big picture though , I can't imagine it .
With the training and racing regimen comes some soreness . Always a risk of a minor injury , minor foot abcess and such and stress .
A healthy horse can be given naprosyn and other OTC meds and antiobiotics .
Paynter , after that bout of colitis will have to be treated with caution .
He is an amazing fighter but I'd hate to see him go through anything like
this again .
He's in good hands and things look to be getting better . Right now thats huge . One day at a time.

JustRalph
10-05-2012, 01:55 AM
It's obvious what's wrong with him.

who the hell plugged that 80's AT&T phone into his head?

http://a.yfrog.com/img640/614/ijshkm.jpg

castaway01
10-05-2012, 08:37 AM
At this point, it would be nice if the horse could just survive to live a full, healthy life. Who cares if he races again? After all he's been through, he needs to just hang out in a field, eat a lot to get that weight back, and hook up with some ladies. Best of luck buddy.

castaway01
10-05-2012, 08:39 AM

Wrong place, wrong time, wrong example to use. Other than that, you're on target.

Tom
10-05-2012, 08:50 AM
I guess that 15" growth they removed from his intestines was caused by running too fast?

tucker6
10-05-2012, 03:32 PM
off IV's and has full appetite. Is now becoming a PITA to handle due to renewed vigor, and will only behave if food is given to him. Sounds like in a couple months, he'll be ready to start the slow process of building back his muscle mass and training again.

Edit: He was damned lucky though. The abcess had sealed itself inside his body rather than leak into his abdomen. In that event, he likely would have died of septic shock a while back.

FantasticDan
10-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Steve Haskin article :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2012/10/15/paynter-arrives-at-fair-hill-rehab-facility.aspx

precocity
10-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Steve Haskin article :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2012/10/15/paynter-arrives-at-fair-hill-rehab-facility.aspx
GREAT READ! PAYNTER IS A TRUE FIGHTER :ThmbUp:

FantasticDan
11-08-2012, 12:37 PM
A couple Paynter videos.. he continues to do well, gaining weight slow and steady since arriving at Fair Hill :)

EUYFX2uOD5k

4mrqWE4nhtY

thaskalos
11-08-2012, 12:43 PM
How can your heart not go out to this guy?

What a story!

Tom
11-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Cool
Thanks, Dan!:ThmbUp:

tucker6
11-09-2012, 07:31 AM
cool indeed. Who would have guessed back on Labor Day that Paynter would be kicking the air let alone be alive. A testament to the ownership for staying the course when it got very dark that week. Collecting the insurance was the easy path, so this should be one example for the hardened among us that some owners are not necessarily only thinking money when making decisions.

classhandicapper
11-09-2012, 12:24 PM
I wonder if they are still actually considering bringing this horse back.

I have mixed feelings.

Part of me thinks he was very lightly raced, rushed, and was just coming into his own. So he was probably going to get really good. I'd like to see that. But part of me thinks he may never be 100% again anyway so why take the risk with a horse that has been through so much.

raybo
11-09-2012, 12:56 PM
I wonder if they are still actually considering bringing this horse back.

I have mixed feelings.

Part of me thinks he was very lightly raced, rushed, and was just coming into his own. So he was probably going to get really good. I'd like to see that. But part of me thinks he may never be 100% again anyway so why take the risk with a horse that has been through so much.

His ability to race can be determined prior to actually racing him. I feel sure the owner/trainer/vet will thoroughly check him out before racing him.

I hope he makes it back, and regains his previous attributes. Time will tell.

FantasticDan
11-09-2012, 01:26 PM
His latest updates say he's "doing super" and is happy and sound.. his weight has gone from 905 to 990 in the three weeks he's been at the therapy center.. :ThmbUp:

raybo
11-09-2012, 02:01 PM
His latest updates say he's "doing super" and is happy and sound.. his weight has gone from 905 to 990 in the three weeks he's been at the therapy center.. :ThmbUp:

The question appears to be, will he regain his former muscle mass and tone. That can probably be measured, but the question can only be answered definitively by performance. Does he have the same speed and endurance that he had prior to all this? Does he have any respiratory or circulatory problems? Are there any lingering affects, or side affects, from his previous physical problems? Much of that can be found on the training track. If he is sound, after all that, and has similar speed and endurance, then you race him, not until.

classhandicapper
11-09-2012, 02:49 PM
The question appears to be, will he regain his former muscle mass and tone. That can probably be measured, but the question can only be answered definitively by performance. Does he have the same speed and endurance that he had prior to all this? Does he have any respiratory or circulatory problems? Are there any lingering affects, or side affects, from his previous physical problems? Much of that can be found on the training track. If he is sound, after all that, and has similar speed and endurance, then you race him, not until.

Yea, that's sort of what I meant.

I assume if they run him again he's sound enough to run, but will he be the same horse and is the risk just a tad higher even if he's sounder than most horses?

raybo
11-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Yea, that's sort of what I meant.

I assume if they run him again he's sound enough to run, but will he be the same horse and is the risk just a tad higher even if he's sounder than most horses?

If he's fully sound, why would the risk be higher, assuming he has fully regained his muscle mass and tone and has no other physical problems? The only thing left would be mental/emotional I would assume, which could probably be analyzed prior to racing also.

nijinski
11-09-2012, 06:08 PM
I think they should get several opinions from top Vets , including the one
who has the most experience with GI disorders . The concern is the stress and that racing could cause to his stomach .
NSAIDSs are widely used and needed and their tough on the gut .

horses4courses
11-12-2012, 06:50 PM
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2012/11/12/paynter-continues-road-to-recovery.aspx

nijinski
11-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Great article and he looks super :) .Thanks for sharing.
He is very lucky to have people around him who really care .

Reminds me alot of Mystic Park and also the great sire Nureyev .
They also came close to losing their lives . They had amazing people
help bring them back. That and amazing will .

FantasticDan
12-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Paynter continuing to do great.. here he is out for a walk a couple days ago.. :ThmbUp:

XQZy-_vGGMg

tucker6
12-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Paynter continuing to do great.. here he is out for a walk a couple days ago.. :ThmbUp:

XQZy-_vGGMg
Thanks for the video. His coat looks great and the muscle appears to be returning. Maybe we will see Paynter in 2013 after all.

We owe a big THANK YOU to the Zayat's for doing right by the horse. Who would have thought Paynter would see 2013? For every ten Dutrow's doing the wrong thing, we have a Zayat doing it right, and we should promote the positives as much as possible in this sport.

PaceAdvantage
12-22-2012, 01:24 PM
And to think...Zayat was getting grilled on here just a couple of years ago when he wanted to load the Preakness gate to prevent Rachel Alexandra from running...

Rex Phinney
12-22-2012, 09:26 PM
If this horse even makes it to the gate of an allowance race in 2013, it is the story of the year.

Amazing. I feel selfish for saying it, but I'm glad they are sending him back here to the west coast, I'll be there is he makes it back to the track for sure.

PowerUpPaynter!!!

cj
12-22-2012, 09:31 PM
And to think...Zayat was getting grilled on here just a couple of years ago when he wanted to load the Preakness gate to prevent Rachel Alexandra from running...

...as he should have been.

NTamm1215
12-22-2012, 10:14 PM

What does that have to do with Paynter?

PaceAdvantage
12-23-2012, 03:17 PM
...as he should have been.Hell, I grilled him myself, in my one and only front page editorial I've ever written for PaceAdvantage.com...lol

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57654

I see that I signed my name "PaceAdvantage" to that editorial. Now I know how Indulto feels... :lol:

PaceAdvantage
12-23-2012, 03:18 PM
What does that have to do with Paynter?Nothing...just shows you how public opinion can turn over the years.

FantasticDan
12-26-2012, 07:37 PM
After passing all his latest tests and physicals with flying colors and getting the green light from his vets, Paynter set to return to Baffert's barn :jump: :ThmbUp:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/75219/paynter-to-rejoin-baffert-wins-vox-populi

classhandicapper
12-28-2012, 09:54 AM
I thought he was about to break out and become a really good horse when he got sick. I'm kind of surprised he's coming back, but there's always a shot he'll pick up where he left off and go to the top of the division.

raybo
12-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I sure hope he is able to regain his former musculature, etc.. I also believe he was just about to make a big move up the ladder.

Time will tell!

Midnight Cruiser
12-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Just received a nice award at Santa Anita. Vox Populi. Created by the owner of Secretariat.

FantasticDan
01-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Back on the track! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

http://www.hrtv.com/videos/paynter-back-in-training/?VideoCategoryId=0

rrpic6
01-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Let's hope Baffert treats Paynter better than he did Tweebster.

RR

precocity
01-08-2013, 09:33 AM
All Paynter went threw he is a true fighter! and it might take a while to get back in top form if he ever does? but I will be unloading on his nose!!!

WAR Paynter !!!!!! :cool:

raybo
01-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Agree, he may never be the horse he was becoming, but just to see him race again will be enough for me.

horses4courses
02-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Justin Zayat just tweeted that Paynter is scheduled to work on Tuesday.

Amazing recovery....... :ThmbUp:

raybo
02-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Justin Zayat just tweeted that Paynter is scheduled to work on Tuesday.

Amazing recovery....... :ThmbUp:

Great news!! :jump:

precocity
02-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Justin Zayat just tweeted that Painter is scheduled to work on Tuesday.

Amazing recovery....... :Thumb:
dam that paynter has the will to live and come back to racing, Dont care if he ever wins a race again his fight and will to live is truly amazing. :ThmbUp:

pandy
02-24-2013, 03:56 PM
I agree, fantastic.

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2013, 01:20 AM
They tempted fate and won once already...balls of steel to send him back to the races and tempt fate a second time...

2rAjily7rME

tucker6
02-25-2013, 08:19 AM
They tempted fate and won once already...balls of steel to send him back to the races and tempt fate a second time...

I'm tempted to agree with you, but then I think of Rachel Alexandra almost dying from childbirth. There are many ways to die if you're a horse. Certainly, racing has the highest risk, but all I'm saying is that there have been many horses that have died over the years in paddock accidents, colic, and such. No guarantees.

At least the Zayats aren't taking the easy way out as is seen yearly on the Derby trail.

Tom
02-25-2013, 12:10 PM
What's the point in running him again?
Do they think he will come back as good? If not, why bother?

raybo
02-25-2013, 12:17 PM

If the horse was yours, what would you do?

thaskalos
02-25-2013, 12:19 PM

This is what I am thinking as well...

Was the main objective saving the horse's life from the jaws of two horrible diseases...or getting it back to the races?

Would it be a suitable ending to this wonderful story if Paynter loses his next race by 20 lengths?

Tom
02-25-2013, 12:36 PM
If the horse was yours, what would you do?

Well, if I owned a stable like the owners do, I'd retire him.
If I was a single owner, I'd be riding him to work to save on gas!

raybo
02-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Well, if I owned a stable like the owners do, I'd retire him.
If I was a single owner, I'd be riding him to work to save on gas!

I would think that, as an owner, this story begs for an ending. And, horse racing begs an ending also. Owners, generally, want the game to grow for obvious reasons. Such a story fits the bill. Do they eventually race him? Only time will tell. Will the owner/trainer race him if he is obviously not going to be competitive? Again, only time will tell.

Just because they are going to work the horse doesn't mean that Paynter will return to racing, there is much analysis left to be done first. But, this story is exactly the kind of thing the industry needs. The fans love it, and the story needs to reach a conclusion, one way or another.

Will many people be disappointed if Paynter does not race in the future? Yes, of course. But, after what this horse has overcome, to end the story without, at least, displaying the same kind of guts that Paynter has displayed in his recovery efforts, would be a mark of cowardice regarding the connections, and a travesty, for everyone else.

Tom
02-25-2013, 01:54 PM
He lived.
All we need to add to that is.... happily ever after. ;)

raybo
02-25-2013, 02:02 PM
He lived.
All we need to add to that is.... happily ever after. ;)

Exactly! But "happily ever after" in who's point of view? Thoroughbred horses love to run, why not at least give him the chance to do that? I suppose if you got ill and nearly died, but fought for life and survived, it would be ok with you to just be put out to pasture, and not be given the chance to resume the things you loved?

castaway01
02-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Exactly! But "happily ever after" in who's point of view? Thoroughbred horses love to run, why not at least give him the chance to do that? I suppose if you got ill and nearly died, but fought for life and survived, it would be ok with you to just be put out to pasture, and not be given the chance to resume the things you loved?

All I know is, the horse almost died. If I almost died, coming back to run a vigorous sprint race against Usain Bolt would be low on my list of priorities. While I understand what you're saying, reading the horse's mind and saying "it loves to run" is pretty silly.

classhandicapper
02-25-2013, 02:11 PM

The only reason I would even contemplate a return is if I thought he had HOTY potential. He already has a Grade 1.

I'm sure he's been cleared by the vets and they must think the incremental risks are minimal, but my gut thinks this is a bad risk.

On the flip side, he looks like a lightly raced horse that was rushed into a Triple Crown campaign before he was ready and was just about to blossom into something special. Had he been handled more conservatively/patiently he might be undefeated and look like a very legit HOTY type for this year. So why not.

tucker6
02-25-2013, 02:15 PM
All I know is, the horse almost died. If I almost died, coming back to run a vigorous sprint race against Usain Bolt would be low on my list of priorities. While I understand what you're saying, reading the horse's mind and saying "it loves to run" is pretty silly.
It you were a world class sprinter, you would definitely want to come back and beat Usian Bolt in a race to prove your return to vitality. Just like Armstrong wanted to come back from testicular cancer and be at the top of cycling (let's not get into the drugs thing) again. Now I'm not saying Paynter wants to do this, but it is in his blood to run, and if he's up to it, he should be allowed to run.

raybo
02-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Ok, put him away then, that's surely what is best for everyone.

raybo
02-25-2013, 02:18 PM
It you were a world class sprinter, you would definitely want to come back and beat Usian Bolt in a race to prove your return to vitality. Just like Armstrong wanted to come back from testicular cancer and be at the top of cycling (let's not get into the drugs thing) again. Now I'm not saying Paynter wants to do this, but it is in his blood to run, and if he's up to it, he should be allowed to run.

That's all I'm saying, let the horse tell you what he wants, don't assume you know what is best. We're not talking about forcing him to race next month.

castaway01
02-25-2013, 02:21 PM

Eh....I don't think so. How about this...if you were a doctor, would you advise the person who nearly died to return to competitive racing? Lance Armstrong did it with massive amounts of illegal doping, so bad comparison. Since the horse doesn't get a say, as its owner, I personally wouldn't put it through that. It's not something that seems wise with a fragile animal. Are you going to get top effort from an animal that's been through that?

Tom
02-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Ok, put him away then, that's surely what is best for everyone.

The only one who counts is the horse. That is all I am concerned with.

horses4courses
02-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Why force any horse to race?

If Paynter is fit and ready to run, he should.
That's his job.

They're going to know whether it is a good idea, or not.
He won't be risked if he doesn't have the enthusiasm.

tucker6
02-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Eh....I don't think so. How about this...if you were a doctor, would you advise the person who nearly died to return to competitive racing? Lance Armstrong did it with massive amounts of illegal doping, so bad comparison. Since the horse doesn't get a say, as its owner, I personally wouldn't put it through that. It's not something that seems wise with a fragile animal. Are you going to get top effort from an animal that's been through that?
If I were a doctor, I'd tell my patient the truth. Which is that his illness is behind him and to go about his life, but to start slowly and build from there. If he is an olympic type athlete, why wouldn't or couldn't he pursue that? No??

Yes, horses are fragile. Some die giving birth. Some in the paddock. Some by kicking walls and breaking legs. Some by colic. Some by eating bad grass. Paynter could die next month running in his paddock. Or not! He could die this year on the track. Or not!! The point is that if you're too scared to test a horse that is now healthy, then the sport should be shut down. Everyone needs to stop putting human emotions onto an animal's psyche. It doesn't work that way.

Pensacola Pete
02-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Why are they entering him again? Money, pride, because they can.

Yeah, horses love to run. Not many horses like standing in a stall for 23 hours a day and being pushed faster than they want to go every couple of weeks. Some may tolerate it better than others, but most would rather be out on a farm.

Do you think the owners would have gone to the trouble and expense they did for Paynter if the horse was a $20,000 maiden claimer who was 0 for 6? He's valuable as a sire. Je may still have value as a racer. He may be good for pride and prestigue, a status symbol for the owners. But get down to it, and he's a piece of property to them in my opinion.

On another note. Most horsemen are good people who are about their animals and treat them well. Some don't, and they give the sport a bad name. But it's also a business, and the horse has to pay his way.

tucker6
02-25-2013, 05:04 PM
But get down to it, and he's a piece of property to them in my opinion.

I don't dispute that Paynter is property, but what evidence do we have that Zayat thinks this way about Paynter. If he was property, Zayat could have left him die and collected the insurance. Zayat could also have saved him for the breeding shed. Instead, he is taking door #3 and racing him where risk is the highest. While still property, I don't believe Zayat's handling of Paynter is in any way a negative for the sport.

castaway01
02-25-2013, 05:12 PM
If I were a doctor, I'd tell my patient the truth. Which is that his illness is behind him and to go about his life, but to start slowly and build from there. If he is an olympic type athlete, why wouldn't or couldn't he pursue that? No??

Yes, horses are fragile. Some die giving birth. Some in the paddock. Some by kicking walls and breaking legs. Some by colic. Some by eating bad grass. Paynter could die next month running in his paddock. Or not! He could die this year on the track. Or not!! The point is that if you're too scared to test a horse that is now healthy, then the sport should be shut down. Everyone needs to stop putting human emotions onto an animal's psyche. It doesn't work that way.

It's an interesting debate. The only emotions, though, are those of the humans like you who presume to know what the horse is thinking. The horse doesn't feel any. I was hoping to keep him alive for the next 20 years, but hey, next time you find a human runner who nearly died from illness who is pushed back to race---other than Lance Armstrong---get back to me. Spare me the rest of the "human emotions onto an animal's psyche" BS.

castaway01
02-25-2013, 05:14 PM
The only one who counts is the horse. That is all I am concerned with.

Exactly.

tucker6
02-25-2013, 05:35 PM
It's an interesting debate. The only emotions, though, are those of the humans like you who presume to know what the horse is thinking. The horse doesn't feel any. I was hoping to keep him alive for the next 20 years, but hey, next time you find a human runner who nearly died from illness who is pushed back to race---other than Lance Armstrong---get back to me. Spare me the rest of the "human emotions onto an animal's psyche" BS.
LOL. Keep reading my posts and someday you may actually get my point. Have a nice day.

horses4courses
02-25-2013, 05:47 PM
I don't dispute that Paynter is property, but what evidence do we have that Zayat thinks this way about Paynter. If he was property, Zayat could have left him die and collected the insurance. Zayat could also have saved him for the breeding shed. Instead, he is taking door #3 and racing him where risk is the highest. While still property, I don't believe Zayat's handling of Paynter is in any way a negative for the sport.

Exactly.
The horse, I'm sure, is well insured.
If he was merely a figure on their balance sheet, they wouldn't have persevered as long as they did.

I read most of the updates on twitter when the horse was gravely ill.
The caring and emotion the Zayat's felt for Paynter was very real.
They want to do what they think is best for the horse.

raybo
02-25-2013, 06:47 PM

So, what would you do, or did you just want to bash everyone who says, why not see if he can get back in racing form, he's healthy physically now, he just needs to get his strength back, if that is possible (it may not be possible, but that's yet to be determined isn't it?). It's not like he broke a leg or something, he got sick.

brivolta
02-26-2013, 10:24 AM
I understand both arguments here. But I think it would be great if he raced again. With all the money Zayat spent to keep him alive, it wasn't to get him back to the track. He genuinely cared about the horse's well being. In the shape Paynter was in, there's no way Zayat would have ever suspected the horse would ever be able to run again. So running clearly wasn't his motivation for what he did.

Also, Paynter could have a lucrative career at stud. So if the connections thought they were putting him in harm's way, would they really run him?

I would be much more skeptical of running a 20k claiming horse back who had no value, than I am about running back a horse who has more potential value at stud than he does on the race track.

Finally, most racehorses will tell you if they don't want to run anymore. The question is do the connections listen. I have no reason to believe that these connections wouldn't listen.

FantasticDan
02-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Paynter worked 3F handily in 36.00, 3/12

Video:

http://www.hrtv.com/videos/paynter-work-22613/

tucker6
02-26-2013, 04:33 PM
He looks fantastic there. Hard to believe what he looks like now compared to the poor, bony thing he was back in Sept. He certainly looks the part of a racehorse in that video.

raybo
02-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Here's to many more like that! :ThmbUp:

Fastracehorse
02-26-2013, 07:46 PM

Is that he still can get it done

he's shifted it down a gear from those 30% years in Cali but he is very dangerous to the horse player

i always found him fascinating how he pulls one off

Oxbow's PP's coming into the RisenStr-G2 are an example

he won the G3-Lacomte at only 4.6 -1; but winning by 11 1/4 lengths?

that's a powerful bet if U can hook yourself to it

fffastt

Rex Phinney
02-26-2013, 08:16 PM
How is it that people who think Zayat is making the wrong call here won't confess to the riches that await Paynter at stud? If all Zayat wanted was to make a buck off the horse he would have collected insurance or put him to the breeding shed.

I personally think the story is great, and that never did they expect the horse would be back at the track, but Paynter is in miracle territory now, he was progressing so well that at some point they have to look at him and think they have to give him the chance to run again. Sure it wasn't their plan and maybe there is some risk there, but seeing how he came thru it all and if he shows the eagerness to do the job, even against all odds you have to give him the chance.

To be honest he looks phenomenal in that work, but then again he is the incomparable Paynter, at this point there is noone who knows just what this horse is capable of, he is smashing the game of life and clearly no mortal is at the reins. It's totally unexplainable what is happening there.

FantasticDan
03-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Back out today:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/76663/paynter-progresses-with-half-mile-work

tucker6
03-05-2013, 03:51 PM
from the article:

"My goal for this guy is to win the (Nov. 2) Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I)," the owner remarked. "If anybody deserves it and can go the distance it would be him. It would be a heck of a story for racing, for us, and for the fans."

senortout
03-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Insurance.

If they haven't purchased a policy on Paynter by now, they may never be able to obtain it unless they prove at least racing soundness.

Whatcha think?

nijinski
03-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Insurance.

If they haven't purchased a policy on Paynter by now, they may never be able to obtain it unless they prove at least racing soundness.

Whatcha think?

They likely have a substantial amount on him and increased it after the second place Belmont finish . They would actually pay a lower premium for
retiring him and if he has a clean Vet certificate an insurance company won't deny them . Especially if they give that company all their business .

senortout
03-05-2013, 05:27 PM
as you stated, its likely he is already insured, but, what if? Zayat was having $$$ problems at one stage, imsmcorrectly.

They likely have a substantial amount on him and increased it after the second place Belmont finish . They would actually pay a lower premium for
retiring him and if he has a clean Vet certificate an insurance company won't deny them . Especially if they give that company all their business .

FantasticDan
03-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Insurance.

Whatcha think?
I think the chances that a top Grade 1 horse like Paynter didn't already have an insurance policy before he got sick are somewhere between none and.. none.

MNslappy
03-26-2013, 03:55 PM
The news of Rachel Alexandra going back home today made me curious to see if there was any new news on Paynter. Here it is:

Zayat Stables’ G1 winner Paynter took another step in his comeback by recording his fourth official breeze since returning from his well-documented battle with colitis and laminitis. Getting back to a weekend breeze schedule, Paynter worked half a mile in 49.40 seconds at Santa Anita for trainer Bob Baffert. Jockey Martin Garcia was aboard

Video of the work and the rest of the update here:
http://www.zayatstables.com/articles/paynter-back-to-weekend-breeze-schedule.html

raybo
03-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Looks sound, now can he get all his musculature and stamina back without any other setbacks? Sure hope so!

Stillriledup
04-23-2013, 04:39 AM
Any updates on Paynter and his health, havent heard much about it lately?

Thanks.

MNslappy
04-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Here's a work from March 29th

N81dN-SrCj0

A picture from April 11th:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHnRKsVCYAAo1fA.jpg:large

And the latest from Justin Zayat, April 19th:

"Paynter worked nice 36.3 out in 49 moving great"

FantasticDan
05-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Paynter's already had two nice 5F works earlier this month, and an excellent 6F work this morning (1:12.60 Handily 3/17).

Looks like he's recovered well after taking a break at the end of March with tender feet. Comeback race getting ever closer.. :ThmbUp:

wiffleball whizz
05-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Any updates on Paynter and his health, havent heard much about it lately?

Thanks.

He's doing great!!!!!!!! But over last few months I took the "no news is good news" approach.....that Saying makes so much sense

raybo
05-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Good deal!! :ThmbUp:

ManU918
06-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Making his comeback on Friday....

Fager Fan
06-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Making his comeback on Friday....

It's about time. Must've had setbacks they weren't cluing us in on. Or either not trained well.

raybo
06-09-2013, 05:36 PM
It's about time. Must've had setbacks they weren't cluing us in on. Or either not trained well.

He had a long way to go to get back to racing. Needed weight gain and more importantly, muscle gain, as well as respiratory strengthening. You don't build either overnight.

I'm just glad he's back racing, many here thought he would not make it back, or shouldn't come back.

tucker6
06-09-2013, 06:46 PM
He had a long way to go to get back to racing. Needed weight gain and more importantly, muscle gain, as well as respiratory strengthening. You don't build either overnight.

I'm just glad he's back racing, many here thought he would not make it back, or shouldn't come back.There were some dark days around Labor Day last year when I thought Paynter was a goner. I'm glad he's back AND racing at that. If he can get the form back that he ended last year with before his illness, I like him a lot in end of year races.

andtheyreoff
06-09-2013, 07:52 PM
PPs for Paynter's comeback: http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewer.php?track=BHP&race=7&date=2013-06-14

rastajenk
06-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Looks like a bridgejumper's dream. :cool:

FantasticDan
06-09-2013, 08:31 PM
It's about time.Yeah, no shit! What's the usual timetable for a top-class racehorse returning after edge-of-death infection and laminitis? Two or three months at most, right? About friggin' time, Paynter! :bang:

horses4courses
06-09-2013, 10:36 PM
I notice on twitter tonight that Joe Drape is on an anti-Baffert crusade.
Ray Paulick is, also, on the bandwagon.
Drape says he feels Paynter should never have been brought back.
Hmmmm....this could get interesting.

Joe Drape ‏@joedrape 48m
@raypaulick @SteveHaskin Disappointed Zayat & @Midnightlute bringing him back after he almost died. Horse First? Not at all.

Joe Drape ‏@joedrape 42m
There's loud, flashy and callous horsemen. Then, there's these guys. #Horseracing should learn from them. http://nyti.ms/11BFkj6

Ray Paulick ‏@raypaulick 22m
@joedrape I have concerns about Baffert horses unexplained deaths and unexplained near death of Paynter.

menifee
06-10-2013, 12:32 AM
This is a great story - what a champ.

Now, as a handicapper - isn't this a play against? The horse will be less than even money.

cordep17
06-10-2013, 02:22 AM
I notice on twitter tonight that Joe Drape is on an anti-Baffert crusade.
Ray Paulick is, also, on the bandwagon.
Drape says he feels Paynter should never have been brought back.
Hmmmm....this could get interesting.

Joe Drape ‏@joedrape 48m
@raypaulick @SteveHaskin Disappointed Zayat & @Midnightlute bringing him back after he almost died. Horse First? Not at all.

Joe Drape ‏@joedrape 42m
There's loud, flashy and callous horsemen. Then, there's these guys. #Horseracing should learn from them. http://nyti.ms/11BFkj6

Ray Paulick ‏@raypaulick 22m
@joedrape I have concerns about Baffert horses unexplained deaths and unexplained near death of Paynter.

I guess they think it is better to be a recluse after a traumatic experience instead of doing what you want to do. If he doesn't want to race, then he won't run, and that would be fine, but he is currently healthy and one of the best racehorses in recent years. Something tells me he is going to be better than he has ever been.

I suppose a child who overcomes cancer shouldn't return to playing ball. It is the exact same thing. His issues were unrelated to racing. It is time to keep moving forward.

tucker6
06-10-2013, 07:05 AM
I guess they think it is better to be a recluse after a traumatic experience instead of doing what you want to do. If he doesn't want to race, then he won't run, and that would be fine, but he is currently healthy and one of the best racehorses in recent years. Something tells me he is going to be better than he has ever been.

I suppose a child who overcomes cancer shouldn't return to playing ball. It is the exact same thing. His issues were unrelated to racing. It is time to keep moving forward.
Even though I agree with your overall sentiment, in all fairness, you can't compare a horse to a human. You say that the horse can just quit racing, but for the most part, the horse isn't mentally built that way nor does he have much choice other than bolting every race. Some do, but most do not.

tucker6
06-10-2013, 07:09 AM
Yeah, no shit! What's the usual timetable for a top-class racehorse returning after edge-of-death infection and laminitis? Two or three months at most, right? About friggin' time, Paynter! :bang:
Paynter's been dogging it long enough Dan.

On a serious note, I would like to find out what caused his infection. Seems some trainers have higher incident rates of things than others, be they infections, bone or tendon injuries, etc. Training regimen, diet, medications???

Fager Fan
06-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Yeah, no shit! What's the usual timetable for a top-class racehorse returning after edge-of-death infection and laminitis? Two or three months at most, right? About friggin' time, Paynter! :bang:

I guess I deserved that. Maybe it's just me, but it just seemed as if I've been hearing of this horse working for a long time.

horses4courses
06-10-2013, 09:09 AM

It's obviously become personal for Mr. Drape.
He doesn't like the connections, and Paynter is a convenient way to wag a finger at them.

tucker6
06-10-2013, 09:17 AM
It's obviously become personal for Mr. Drape.
He doesn't like the connections, and Paynter is a convenient way to wag a finger at them.
I guess Drape gives Zayat no credit for saving Paynter. Yeah, he probably had some money motive (maybe a lot), but plenty of other owners would have pulled out the insurance policy and moved on. None of us would have retired Paynter given what we spent to save him. I don't think his stud value was particularly high when he got ill, so Zayat wasn't going to make his investment back going that route. However, his performances were beginning to show through late summer. Give him this year to produce at a high level again and he'll bring the money at stud. It's business folks.

OntheRail
06-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Mr. Drape can eat Paynter's road apples! Look at his work tab. Seems like an eager to run... right minded horse. Hats off to all involved in Paynter's comeback. No matter where he finishes the simple fact he on the track is a BIG WIN. :cool:

cordep17
06-12-2013, 12:19 AM
http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewer.php?track=BHP&race=7&date=2013-06-14
June 14, 2013
Betfair Hollywood Park
Allowance Purse: $62,000(Plus $18,600 – CBOIF - California Bred Owner Fund)

For: Three Year Olds And Upward Which Have Never Won $10,000 Three Times Other Than Maiden, Claiming, Starter, Or State Bred Or Which Have Never Won Four Races Or Which Have Not Won A Race In 2013
1 Ashtar
2 Paynter
3 Dime Que
4 Charlie'sboywins
5 Majestic City
6 Kate's Event
7 Grand Berry
8 Fly Lexis Fly

7 Furlongs- AW track

Stillriledup
06-14-2013, 06:51 PM
25 mins to Paynter's long awaited Return.

1-9 first flash, someone plunked down 30 grand to start off the 'bidding'.

Are they just going to roll over and let him win? It would be a great story for racing if he won.

wiffleball whizz
06-14-2013, 07:06 PM

Are they just going to roll over and let him win? It would be a great story for racing if he won.

How can they make this horse 1/9 off what happened to him...laminitis killed Barbaro now this horse had colitis and other things now he's 1/9?

In my opinion this is a great story maybe one of the best story in racing history there gonna lay down for this horse...

100 percent boat race!!!

thespaah
06-14-2013, 07:07 PM

8 mins to post...still 1-9. Total of 55k in win pool. 40k on Paynter. No bridge jumper bets...yet

raybo
06-14-2013, 07:09 PM
I just hope he finishes strong, win or lose.

raybo
06-14-2013, 07:10 PM
How can they make this horse 1/9 off what happened to him...laminitis killed Barbaro now this horse had colitis and other things now he's 1/9?

In my opinion this is a great story maybe one of the best story in racing history there gonna lay down for this horse...

100 percent boat race!!!

What??? I thought you were a little "off" but - man!!

FantasticDan
06-14-2013, 07:10 PM
I just hope he finishes strong, win or lose.

1/5 now, 4 MTP.

edit:
2/5, 1 MTP

horses4courses
06-14-2013, 07:12 PM
This track has been slow.
What's Paynter's time gonna be?

UN/OV 1:22 and 3 fifths

thaskalos
06-14-2013, 07:12 PM

1/5 now, 4 MTP.
Not even a jaded horseplayer like me can find the heart to bet against this horse...

wiffleball whizz
06-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Not even a jaded horseplayer like me can find the heart to bet against this horse...

What a warrior.....great call by Vic too :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

pandy
06-14-2013, 07:17 PM
That was a beautiful thing to see, wish I could have been there.

raybo
06-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Yeah, they really laid down for him, the fractions were only 22+ 45+ 109+ 121+.

He's baaaaacccccckkkkkkk!!!!!

Very strong run!

horses4courses
06-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Super comeback.

Pretty sure I heard Vic getting a lil choked up, too.
Can't blame anyone for that.... :ThmbUp:

FantasticDan
06-14-2013, 07:19 PM
That horse has CLASS up and down, and all around. :jump:

What a story. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

thespaah
06-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Yep..He's back! JOck never drew the stick. Never really had to set him down. Changed leads beautifully.
Bejarano rode him through the wire out at least a furlong.
Final time 1:21.84 fro 7f

Shelby
06-14-2013, 07:21 PM
That was AWESOME. I know I'm a softy, but I cried. I think Vic got a little emotional too.

NICE JOB, PAYNTER!!!!! Welcome back :)

Stillriledup
Super comeback.

Pretty sure I heard Vic getting a lil choked up, too.
Can't blame anyone for that.... :ThmbUp:

He was choked up for all the people who bet on Kate's Event and thought that the horse had a chance to be better than 4th. :D

raybo
He performed like he'd never missed a race. Good jump, set the pace, ran a smart race, then pulled off. Couldn't have asked for more.

Stillriledup
06-14-2013, 07:23 PM
COngrats to the OWNER for spending time and money nursing this guy back to health, he deserves this moment.

Rex Phinney
06-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Awesome race. I have to admit I thought maybe he was going a little too fast early on, to finish the way he did was very impressive.

picojim
06-14-2013, 07:36 PM
If this horse even makes it to the gate of an allowance race in 2013, it is the story of the year.

Amazing. I feel selfish for saying it, but I'm glad they are sending him back here to the west coast, I'll be there is he makes it back to the track for sure.

PowerUpPaynter!!!

hey rex your supposed to be at the track!

cordep17
06-14-2013, 08:40 PM
here is the link to watch the race.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skP45pi3JK4

Tom
06-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Awesome to watch him come back like that.