PDA

View Full Version : The story behind Thursday's Pick 6 scoop at Del Mar

EJXD2
08-28-2012, 09:38 AM
TwinSpires player bets his favorite names to win more than $500,000. (http://blog.twinspires.com/2012/08/twinspirescom-bettor-plays-name-game-to.html)

PaceAdvantage
08-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Reads like some sort of surreal fantasy...I don't know many newbie pick six players who craft nine separate tickets...maybe he's pulling our leg and is actually a grizzled racetrack veteran.... :lol:

JimG
08-28-2012, 10:47 AM
He said he's sharing his strategy so others can win too. :faint:

Robert Fischer
08-28-2012, 10:49 AM
pretty good yarn.

Aner
08-28-2012, 10:54 AM
He played at least $258 (the amounts listed) on P4, P5, and P6's. He said he is sharing his system of picking winners by names so others can hit also. What a generous offer. He must be pulling our legs -right? Who would toss so much coin in these bets based on names of the horses.

Greyfox
08-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Doesn't everybody just use favorite names in picking winners?
Is there any other way? If so, I've been duped.

Charli125
08-28-2012, 11:00 AM
He said he's sharing his strategy so others can win too. :faint:

I can only hope more people use his strategy of picking horses by their names!

And like PA, I'm slightly skeptical of the whole thing since he did do AB tickets or something along those lines. I mean, if the horse has a great name, then why even bother with the others!?!

KidCapper
08-28-2012, 11:02 AM
And here I was taught that lucky numbers were the way to go. Now I've got to start all over again. :bang: :)

WeirdWilly
08-28-2012, 11:02 AM
This looks like a MUCH more scientific method.

JackS
08-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Still better odds than a slot machine which is just as random as "names".
Stuff happens. Just ask any Lotto winner.

BlueShoe
08-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Doesn't everybody just use favorite names in picking winners?
Is there any other way? If so, I've been duped.
You mean that all those years of burning the midnight oil with the Daily Racing Form, all those used pens, and countless eye strains, were just a waste of time, and that there was an easier way all that time? :eek: :(

horses4courses
08-28-2012, 11:45 AM
:eek:
Unreal....

thaskalos
08-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Don't you guys remember the story that was circulating, about that guy who won a million+ on a California Pick-6 a few years ago?

He supposedly invested the grand sum of $2...picking a single horse in every leg.

But then...as he was re-handicapping the last race...he decided that there was another horse in that race that had a chance to win -- so he got up and went to the window, to invest another $2 and include this second horse.

But he made a mistake...and bet the same ticket that he had originally played.

And he got the pick-6 twice!

Can you now convince this player that he is not the best horseplayer who ever lived? :)

therussmeister
08-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Names! Horses have names? I've never heard anybody use names when cheering for their horse. Although I've heard plenty of names after their horses lose.

horses4courses
08-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Names! Horses have names? I've never heard anybody use names when cheering for their horse. Although I've heard plenty of names after their horses lose.

That's a difference at the track between the US and UK/Ireland.
They actually do shout the horses names over there, as opposed to
"Come on with that 3!" that you might hear over here.

judd
08-29-2012, 06:14 AM
sounds like a gasper story:lol:

Sparky13
08-29-2012, 06:51 AM
I used to have a cousin that would only bet horses whose names were at least 12 letters long. And if it was a Gray, he would bet more. And it worked for him, sometimes.

Stillriledup
08-29-2012, 08:17 PM
When i see articles like this, they do not surprise me at all knowing the disconnect between the racing industry and their customers. An article like this is a perfect example of how 'racing' doesnt get it and probably never will. Its also an example of how horse racing has no idea that they have the greatest gambling game on earth and all they care about is wanting to show the world that if you pick numbers out of a hat, you could beat this game.

Beachbabe
08-29-2012, 08:40 PM
When i see articles like this, they do not surprise me at all knowing the disconnect between the racing industry and their customers. An article like this is a perfect example of how 'racing' doesnt get it and probably never will. Its also an example of how horse racing has no idea that they have the greatest gambling game on earth and all they care about is wanting to show the world that if you pick numbers out of a hat, you could beat this game.

A hat, huh !!!!
I've been picking my numbers out of an old candy jar. No wonder I'm losing.

Pace Cap'n
08-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Some guy on the old DRF forum said to bet any horse whose name was 17 characters and included an apostrophe.

Or another who would bet any horse whose colors made the jockey look like a bumblebee.

Not to mention the numerologist...and many others.

JustRalph
08-29-2012, 10:21 PM
A hat, huh !!!!
I've been picking my numbers out of an old candy jar. No wonder I'm losing.

now that actually made me lol

JackS
08-30-2012, 12:45 AM
I read this once and only assume it to be true. In fact I posted this account on PA a few years ago but it does seem appropiate for a repeat- An Enfgishman attending the races in Ireland on 7/7/77 decided to play the Derby. He wes the 7th son of a 7th son and on that day in the seventh race the 7 horse was named "Seventh Heaven". He decided to wager 77 pounds to win on all of these recurring sevens on this day and the horse ran seventh.
True? I don't know for sure but it probably is.

tholl
08-30-2012, 08:12 AM

But how many articles from Twin Spires have you read ???

Wagergirl
08-30-2012, 11:10 AM
I take wagers all day long, and it amazes me how many people bet the same numbers for every race.

teddy
08-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Oh now I'm totally glad I dumped my software. Unless there is name picking software. Then im in if its less thatn $120 a month.

EJXD2
08-31-2012, 09:07 AM

Don't you WANT money like this in the pools? Sharing this story lets people know that horse racing is a fun gamble. Too often it's perceived as an insider's game, but here is someone who by picking names won nearly $500,000 on a $146 investment.

Some think that the numbers or names or colors players are only $2 bettors, but if they enjoy the gamble then this is no different than stuffing $100 into a slot machine or putting three bills down for a run at the craps table.

ESPN Sports Business reporter Darren Rovell shared this blog post with his readers, and it got 2,000 views in 30 minutes. That's people who otherwise never would have been exposed to racing as a gambling game learning about someone who won $500,000 playing it ON THE INTERNET.

To me, writing this article shows that TwinSpires DOES know racing is the greatest gambling game on Earth--whether you're trying to beat it using smarts or having fun by picking names and numbers.

A. Pineda
08-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Some guy on the old DRF forum said to bet any horse whose name was 17 characters and included an apostrophe.

Or another who would bet any horse whose colors made the jockey look like a bumblebee.

Not to mention the numerologist...and many others.

Very funny, but these individuals each probably won at least one time using their quirky selection process, or they wouldn't embrace it.

A friend who knew nothing about the game saw the name of a horse posted on Prodigy, and he drove to the track, placed an exacta bet, and won $15K. I think the name of the horse was MARTIAL LAW, who went off at something like 50/1.

Another friend went to the track on his son's 21st birthday and bet a 2/1 DD, and collected $1100.

Then there was the woman who won a $15K DD contest on St. Pat's Day by using the names of two streets which she had passed on the way to the track because the names sounded "Irish."

Like it or not, these folks are part of our game. I admit to being somewhat disappointed that my traditional capping methods did not produce those kinds of results, but I have come to realize that racing needs more feel-good stories like these.

Jay Trotter
08-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Okay, I'm gonna say right off the bat that this may be "stupid" but....

this thread made me think -- is there a rule stating that a race track can't refer to horses by different names as a promotional stunt? Say, on July 4th you refer to each runner by some "patriotic" name that has nothing to do with their registered name. I'm doubting this would be possible but it might make for a nice way to get the "non-traditional" betting public interested on certain holiday cards.

Discuss amongst youselves!

JackS
08-31-2012, 02:49 PM
I stopped at a local pub a few years ago and telling the girl bartender I was on my way to the track she recounted this story;- One morning I was planning on a visit to the dog track that evening after work. I told my husband about my plan and asked him if he wanted me to play a DD for him. He said yes and asked me to buy a 4-4 for him. I then went about my day thinking of my own DDs and his 4-4. Just before I left for the track, I asked "you still want a 4-4 DD?" He said no and gave me two completely different combinations. On the way to the track, I decided I was going to play a 4-4 anyway since it had been on my mind the entire day.
Short story- 4-4 came in and paid $444.40